Franjo: A Journeyman Story (New Episode Every Week Day)

• Thread starter Thread starter WTFranjo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 701
  • Views Views 75K
Cheers mate :D yeah weirdly I’ve noticed that about myself this year. Not when I was playing it but when I went back to write about it I noticed that I was almost constantly reacting to the other sides in the league and trying to defend against what they’ve got instead of just letting them deal with us. Maybe it’s that I was brought up in the David Moyes at Everton era or maybe it’s the fact that I’ve had 3 relegation fights in 5 years but I’ve been sort of timid with my tactics so far. Seems to be working though!

Re - Aidir, I know what you mean but he did really well at Santos and in the first 10 games or so here as a lone advanced forward so i know it CAN work, but I think we’re just not getting the ball to him well enough. A lot of our goals at the moment seem to be coming from the edge of the area which could be quite telling as the attacking mid 3 are sort of bypassing him entirely a lot of the time.

Good points though bud :D

That's all fair, I certainly don't mean to come across as critical or harsh or whatever. Constructively critical, I guess.

I appreciate obviously you're writing this up well after you actually played it through, so any tactical "advice" is largely a wasted effort. It definitely feels like your Auxerre side is good enough to put other sides on the back foot and make them adjust to you, though. Can't argue with top of the league after 15 games.

I have Aidir posters on my bedroom wall and Aidir bedsheets.

Good to see you have such a solid start to the season!

Promotion is definitely on the cards by the looks of it if you keep this form up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah constructive criticism’s welcome don’t worry bud. Both about my playing and writing style :P

I think we all have Aidir bedspreads at this point, the beautiful goal machine

@jake cheers bud! ****** **** yeah, if we keep this form up we’ll have the honour of being spanked by some of the best clubs in the world, fingers crossed :D

Awesome stuff. Loving seeing Joel's name showing up more and more often - I'll admit I didn't think he was quite good enough when you brought him with you from Santos, so it must be very satisfying to see him playing so well.

Also... I don't mean to be unfair or anything, but Zlatan only lost because Zlatan chose not to win.

Cheers for the comments lads! Just a heads up, that busy week turned into a pretty ****** week and I’m going to have to stay on hiatus for another week or maybe 2 because life’s taken a bit of a turn!

Unrelated news - Anyone going/participating in the FMWEC competition at Insomnia Gaming Fest in 3 weeks, I’ll see you there!

Booooooo.

Hope life gets sorted out so you can get back to the important business of getting promoted to the big-time!

Just thought I'd let you have an update on my current Journeyman where I'm managing CD Mafra still, in the Portuguese 2nd tier, now in the 2054-55 season.

Took over just before the January window with Mafra in 19th place, made a whole raft of loan and free signings, and ended up winning well over half my remaining games and finishing 12th in the end. Highlight was a bolt-from-the-blue 6-0 demolition job at home to Feirense who were in 6th at the time.

Completely remodelled my squad in the summer including a bunch of English signings (the quality of freebies in England was generally higher than elsewhere). I think I brought in something like 18 or 19 players in total, having released a similar figure, and all for a combined sum of under £100k. Meanwhile, during my first (half-)season I'd managed to turn around the form of a young prospect who was clearly too good for the league and ended up scoring about 15 goals in the second half of the season, and I managed to sell him in the summer for £1.7m rising to £2.5m, which has pretty much-singlehandedly funded a stadium expansion and kept the club squarely in the black.

Anyway, I'm currently 2nd in the league with about 15 games gone in the second season, which I'm frankly delighted with. The Portuguese second tier is strange, because of the B-teams of big sides like Benfica, Braga, Sporting and Porto - for some reason, those B-teams have stupidly low reputations in-game, which means they're always predicted to finish at the bottom of the league, despite having comfortably the best squads. So that means my media-predicted finish is artifically about 4 places higher than it should be, due to the B-teams all inexplicably being rated lower than my lowly Mafra side (who, it turns out, had only been in the 2nd tier for 6 months before I took over!).

But yeah, somehow plugging away in 2nd position, playing well and getting results... one of which was the reason why I'm posting this essay. Yep, you guessed it. Angrense got promoted last year to the 2nd tier, and I played them. Easy 2-0 win. Sorry, Franjo.

We all know it would've been a different story if Hurley had been playing.

Great to have you back Franjo! Sorry to hear life has been so turbulent but if you're back on the writing train then hopefully things are looking up. Look forward to reading on Wednesday!

As for my own save... alas, I left Mafra. It was a tough decision, but I was halfway through my 5th season on the save without ever having set foot on the shores of the UK, and I was strangely missing it. I took a job at Bristol Rovers, mid-table in League 2. I do second-guess my decision frequently, because I really liked Mafra and I think I could've taken them up to the big-time - if not this time around, then certainly next season. But, I dunno, I just fancied coming home and getting stuck into a more familiar job.

Time will tell if it's the right decision. I've only had about 8 games in charge at Brizzle but we're pushing for the playoffs now. Hopefully with a good summer we can go for the title next season.

Oh, and I had a brief (second) stint in charge of England U-21s... which was fine. We won all our Euro U-21 qualifying games, which frankly were a doddle given the standard of the opposition, and then I quit as a condition of taking the Brizzle job. Crikey, international management is dull in Footy Manager.

And he's back! Lovely stuff. Seems like Foden is really beginning to hit his straps. Mystified by this whole agent sub-plot though, hah.

Back