Franjo: A Journeyman Story (New Episode Every Week Day)

**** me, not doing too well am I

Sidenote (12/8): Alright listen, it's going to be another week. I really thought I'd be ready to start the season tomorrow but even after writing literally all day Sunday I'm nowhere near where I'd need to be. The good news is that I should have more time this week to get everything sorted out so the new season WILL kick off on the 20th and may Hicham Aidir break every bone in his body if I'm wrong. Cheers for staying with me!

Good to have you back man. Shame about Kasongo, but them's the breaks. Hopefully you get a bit of dosh for him next summer, or alternatively this next loan might screw his head on straight.

Bold decision not to use your £6.5m (unless something mad happens with Depay) - what are the work permit rules like in France? Just thinking there might be a few gems out in South America. That said, it's to be applauded that you want to make the most of that wonderful academy, so fair play. Mathis Roux looks like a real prospect, as does Celsiney. Can't help but agree with the press that Hikem is your most promising player (with Andre second) - best player in the league seems a stretch though!

Best of luck for the coming season!

Cheers bud :) the work permit rules basically boil down to you can only have 4 Americans in your squad so African newgens would be preferrable, but I can’t find any of either that I can afford so it’s a bit of a moot point I suppose! I probably understated this in the episode but in terms of value this has probably been the worst Summer so far. I’ve so far found 2 players that A) I can afford the fee, B) I can afford the wages and C) They improve the squad and that’s Doucouré and Vlad. And even Vlad took ages to find. Every goalie I went after wanted 20kpw+ to sit in the reserves!

So yeah it is probably a good job we’ve got so many promising youngsters :D Really hoping for all those players who didn’t quite cut it last year to step up as well, which includes Hikem and Andre because they could be fantatic. Think they’re still both 20/21ish too

I love the Vlad profile of player. Footy Manager is usually quite harsh when it comes to 2nd choice keepers getting itchy feet - I often find myself losing my 2nd choice because he wants to play more, so I often find myself rooting around in the free agents bin for a 90-year old journeyman who ends up being a superb tutor but never plays.

As regards the coming season, though... where do you honestly see yourself finishing? (Assuming you've not already played the whole season)

Seems as though your team was definitely a candidate for bottom-3 status last year, and after a year without strengthening it's tough to see a massive push upwards. Then again, the team's and players' reputation will have spiked nicely, so they'll play like they belong in Ligue 1 a lot more I should think. And obviously having senior strikers available always helps.

Still think the team is crying out for one really top quality midfielder. One with good passing, tackling, decisions, determination, leadership, positioning and stamina. A general, if you will.

I dunno really, as I said I reckon it’d be nice to just not worry about relegation at all! And I think you’re right - The fact that we should have a full squad means that we have technically strengthened, or that’s what I’m banking on anyway.

The Worst First Match (Franjo: A Journeyman Story - Ep177)
http://franjo.blog/2018/08/21/franjo-a-journeyman-story-ep177/

Good result, that. 3 points is 3 points - the record books won't care who dominated! Really good result actually. Gotta love a banana skin avoided.

To elaborate a bit on my earlier critique of last season - and I hope you don't take this as criticism, because it's honestly not intended that way - there's just a few role changes that I would personally make and I reckon you'd see a bit more balance in your team shape. Cos with your front 3 all on attack roles, and your midfield 3 all on support, I can imagine you're probably seeing a huge gap between midfield and attack, meaning you're perhaps a bit over-reliant on longer passes to get the front 3 into play - which might make it tricky to play a shorter passing/control style. I'd be interested to see your average positions maps.

The changes I would make are:

1. Left Back --> Attack duty
2. Advanced Playmaker --> Attack duty
3. Left Inside Forward --> Support duty
4. Advanced Forward --> Complete Forward (Support)

It may look like that makes your team more attacking, but really it just binds them a bit closer as a unit, by freeing up McCarthy and Ferhat to operate between the lines a bit more and link midfield and attack a lot more closely. Plus it allows Hikem to bomb up and provide more width, and it means Aidir will offer a bit more to play in general even when he's not scoring.

Just a (series of) thoughts. Sorry, I don't mean to be critical or overbearing or whatever - this is your story and your tactic. It's just been on my mind for a bit, haha.

So - Very valid criticisms (And by the way I don’t mind criticism in the slightest. Despite playing CM/FM for nearly 20 years I’m under no illusions that I’m ok but not that good, so bring it on :D) but I have already finished the season. I’m not playing ahead any further until I catch up though because I want to be able to take comments like this into account.

I’m still not entirely sold by the complete forward support role, apart from when we have an insanely good striker like Griezmann for France who I can trust to actually do everything in the final third. Having 2 attacking inside forwards is actually unusual for me though as I do like to do exactly what you’re saying - a supporting and attacking fullback combined with an attacking and support inside forward. The problem with this team though is that I’m not sure I have the personnel. Out of my options on the left, Ferhat is a striker and Zoun is best driving at defenders or popping up in the box and I think putting either of them on support would make them a bit too much into “link up players” and I don’t know if they’d do well at that. If I was going to drop an inside forward to support it’d probably be Foden, but that would mean asking Samba to be the attacking full back and that’s not really his game either.

McCarthy as an attacking playmaker is another one that I’m not sure about, although I get the logic tactically behind your suggestion. I reckon support is more his role too and if he can play more quarterback-esque passes like he did for Foden’s goal I reckon he can nail it this year.

So basically I agree in theory but I reckon I’ve tied my own hands a bit tactically by sticking with the players I’ve got. to be fair though we have players like Sissako and Fomba who can drift up with McCarthy in midfield and that should help to link with the attack a bit, while Samba and Hikem tend to overlap plenty just with the overlap instruction and the fact that the inside forwards leave them so much room.

I did notice that Hikem has a bunch of attacking preferred moves, so that's fair. That's all fair, really. Obviously it's totally your decision, and I definitely get the Ferhat point - he doesn't look like much of a passer. Would that be one of the positions you're looking to strengthen first?

For what it's worth, I would still put McCarthy in an Attack duty - you've got the ball-winner on Support next to him and your full back isn't going to push too far forwards on Support too. I'd say your forwards need the link man more than your defence needs the cover, if you get my drift. Otherwise I can see a few long passes getting intercepted leading to breakaway goals, whereas if McCarthy is higher up the pitch he can play more low-risk short passes without such a high risk of interceptions.

You're doing wonders with what you've got, though, so I can be safely ignored. Played 1 won 1 clean sheets 1. Can't say fairer.

Well how about that. What a great start to the season! All going a bit too well, isn't it...

- Thumping win, even scoring another after going down to 10
- Hikem playing out of his skin (let's not mention the defending)
- McCarthy living up to the hype
- Foden on fire
- Aidir off the mark!
- First-team minutes, and decent performances, for your young guns
- Cracking draw away to a big side with your defensive tactic clearly working

Awesome stuff mate! Only black mark is the name "Matheusinho." What sort of silly name is that.

I know! We can do no wrong at the minute. I agree re: Matheusinho, I had to spell check that ****** name like 3 times and again just now

Holy ****, PSG sold 3 players for over £250m. They were rich enough already! I see they sold my mate the Argie playmaker too, the plonkers.

Hikem and LeGod. What a contrast.

Great result against Toulouse though. Project Sword strikes again! Insert ***** joke here.

Knew you’d pick on that :D imagine having that much disposable talent, it sickens me to my core.

Well in debutants.

Also I love how Cyprien got 2 assists and a 9.2 and then got dropped. Haha. No favouritism at all there. To be fair I think it's one of the best things about Footy Manager international management - being able to cap your favourites.

Happy birthday mate, great to see you back for a full week now!

Thanks mate! Its always a good feeling getting back into the swing of writing after a break. Also the Cyprien thing was only partially out of favouritism, think his fitness was in the mid 80s like the other lads I dropped. Definitely some favouritism though :)

By the way, I've pre-ordered FM19. Strong chance I'll do a journeyman story of my own - haven't decided yet if I'll do it in novella format or in a more standard setup, but either way I'm sure I'll be taking some inspiration from this fine yarn.