From Grassroots...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 19K
Excellent layout, looking very good indeed. Great job.

Envy your position though. Wanna swap jobs? :( lol

I'd say promotion too

Exellent layout looking forward to this

Might start my own story with a blue square bet north or south team and work my way up the leagues

Excellent layout, looking very good indeed. Great job.

Envy your position though. Wanna swap jobs? :( lol

I'd say promotion too

Haha, I'm happy with my job at present, though financial side worries me. Yeah hopeful of promotion too. Big update later, as blitz a couple of months last night. Cheers mate

Exellent layout looking forward to this

Might start my own story with a blue square bet north or south team and work my way up the leagues

Thanks mate, hope u will keep enjoying it. I always prefer saves with lower clubs makes it more realistic to being manager. I never start with a big side on the game, don't enjoy it as much.

A difficult month on reflection especially the games against teams that are tipped to be there or there abouts come the end of the campaign.. Though I hope we don't rue the two goal lead we threw away against Fleetwood. The biggest disappointment was losing at home to Darlington, who despite all there off field problems managed to end our great home record.
The month of November is packed full of games and I hope we don't suffer any injuries to ky players due to our rather small squad.

images

LUTON TOWN 1 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Kenilworth Road. Att: 4,046

images

Another game against one of the big clubs in the division and we were excellent right from the first whistle to the last. Jamie Turley(24') kept up his fantastic goal scoring record, with a sweet volley from the edge of the penalty area. We didn't give Luton any time on the ball and worked to press them high up the pitch and we were rewarded half way through the second half when leading scorer Michael Uwezu(64') scored with a well placed shot. Craig Sutherland(92') scored a late consolation, but it was our fans who left happy.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 TAMWORTH
The New Lawn. Att: 1,490

images

We entertained bottom club Tamworth today and after our horror show against Darlington, I was concious we made regret our not taking our chances again. I was nearly spot on, as we created chance after chance after chance, thirty four in total, and also hit the woodwork an incredible seven times, in what was the most one sided game I've ever seen. Then up stepped Michael Uwezu(92') who steered home a left footed shot in the dying seconds. PHEW!!!!

images

1st Round
MAIDENHEAD 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
York Road. Att: 1,151

images

We travelled to Blue Square South side Maidenhead in the first round proper and maybe I under estimated them, as they took the lead when Rikki Burbridge(31') scored a header from a corner on the left. My team consisting of eight changes from our last league game, did manage to earn a replay when Jamie Turley(35') yet again scored, this time with a fine header to earn us a replay.

images

STYCHE STILL STRUGGLING!!

images

Forest Green striker Reece Styche has gone nine games without scoring, and the pressure is starting to tell. Styche who spoke on the clubs website earlier in the week said "Yes it's frustrating as I feel in the last four or five games I could've won games for the club or added to my tally." The 'Rovers' number nine has scored eight goals so far this season, and many were predicting in the close season that he would be one of the lethal strikers this season. One of them are Styche's manager "Reece has been snatching his chances of late, but he is getting in great areas during games and working hard in training every day. I have alot of faith in the lad and he will stay in my side." responded Andy Samuels.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 1 BATH
The New Lawn. Att: 1,568

images

Another game full of chances that fell to our attacking players, but as in other games we kept squandering them. A very unlucky James Bittner(Own goal 69') gave the away side a shock lead, when the ball cannoned of the post and hit James Bittner on the head and into the net. We didn't have to wait long though to eventually score and level the game when we were awarded a penalty. Straight away I shouted for Reece Styche(Pen 77') to take it and without hesitation he placed the ball on the spot and confidently fired the ball into the roof of the net.

images

1st Round Replay
FOREST GREEN 2 - 1 MAIDENHEAD
The New Lawn. Att: 1,151

images

I kept the same side that drew the first game between the teams and this time round we made sure we progressed into the second round. We had to wait until the second half before taking the lead through Michael Uwezu(48') and then Yann Klukowski(81') put the tie out of reach. Manny Williams(88') did pull a goal back to give us a nail biting last few minutes.

images

FOREST GREEN 4 - 0 LINCOLN
The New Lawn. Att: 1,626

images

A superb performance today and a very comfortable win and it was thanks to our leading scorer. Michael Uwezu(3') got us off to a flyer when he raced clear and slotted the ball into the corner of the goal. Kieron Forbes(40') put us two up at half time, when he finished easily following up a spilled shot. The second half belonged to Uwezu(62') when he grabbed his second of the game after great link up play with Styche. Uwezu(Pen 80') completed his hat trick when he drilled home a penalty after he was brought down inside the area.

images

ALFRETON 0 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Town Ground. Att: 627

images

A game against a side already scrapping for survival, so I wasn't expecting any favours against them and knew we would have to grind out a result despite their lowly placing.
I couldn't of been more right as we were made to work for the whole game, but eventually we got the deserved goal and it was something special. Seb Carole(58') ran half the length of the pitch, taking on anyone in his way and then curling an unstoppable right foot shot into the corner of the goal.

images

BIG TIE AWAITS

images

Forest Green have been drawn at home to NPower League 1 side Charlton Athletic. Manager Andy Samuels added "It's a fantastic draw, and one we are looking forward to at home in front of our supporters.

images

2nd Round
FOREST GREEN 2 - 3 Charlton
The New Lawn. Att: 3,592

images

We had a bumper crowd in for our tough second round tie against a side sitting mid table in League One and with a manager who was starting to be put under pressure to deliver. Charlton didn't look like a side that had been struggling as they raced into a two goal lead. Bradley Wright-Phillips(6', 27') showed why he was their leading goalscorer. Despite the score we actually had the better of the first half, but couldn't find the net. Danny Green(47') looked to have put the game to bed, but we again showed great team unity to make the score line a little more respectable. Reece Styche finally scored from open play when he confidently scored a well placed right footed finish. Michael Uwezu(78') scored from an acute angle to set up an exciting finish.

November proved to be a great month and consisted of some very pleasing performances and victories to go with it. Even though we went out of the FA Cup it was pleasing to test the squad against higher calibre players.

images

GATESHEAD 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
The International Stadium. Att: 1,007

images

So far this is the performance I'm most proud of. It was a very lively game, with both sides focusing on attacking rather than defending. It was us who took the lead with a very well taken Reece Styche(Pen 43'). And it didn't take us long to extend our lead further when Luke Graham(45') scored his first for the club. The second half produced more chances, but no more goals as we secured a vital win.

images

1st Round
FOREST GREEN 0 - 1 NEWPORT COUNTY
The New Lawn. Att: 1,113

images

A competition I was hoping to win and treat the fans to a day out at Wembley, but unfortunately luck wasn't with us today. Normally we create alot of chances and have lots of posession but today produced a very below par performance. It was another freak James Bittner(Own goal 89') that sealed the passage to the next round for our opponents.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 1 HAYES & YEADING
The New Lawn. Att: 1,438

images

A great way to bounce back from a loss and a superb comeback to go with it. Eddie Oshodi(Own goal 5') gave us the worst possible start when he slid the ball into our own net. The more confident Reece Styche(28') continued his recent scoring form when he lashed the ball home from close range. Michael Uwezu(37') scored our second and his tenth of the season to put us ahead. Eight minutes into the second half Oshodi(53') scored at the right end with a powerful header.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 EBBSFLEET
The New Lawn. Att: 1,254

images

We were left frustrated for long periods of this game and had two disallowed goals, before Michael Uwezu(55') scored a fine solo effort, rounding the keeper and squeezing the ball home from a tight angle.

images

FOREST GREEN 4 - 1 KETTERING
The New Lawn. Att: 1,267

images

We continued our fine league form by doing the double over our visitors. The game was was all one way once Reece Styche(17') got the opening goal with a lovely finish inside the near post. Kieron Forbes(43') doubled the lead when he swept home left footed from just inside the six yard box. We continued to dominate in the second period and Reece Styche(67') got his second and our third to put us well in control. James Rowe(71') made it four as we carried our onslaught on the visitors goal. Aman Verma(74') grabbed a consolation for Kettering, but it wouldn't have any effect on the outcome.

images

BARROW 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Holker Street. Att: 875

images

A well fought victory today and always pleasing to keep a clean sheet. Seb Carole(12') put us in front with a well executed header. and though we dominated the game we had to wait until James Rowe(84') sealed the win when he passed the ball into an open net after excellent work by Reece Styche.

An amazing December in the league sees us extend our lead to twelve points at the top of the table. Disappointed that we couldn't progress further in the FA Trophy but my main focus is the league and as things stand we look very good for promotion. I will be looking into the January transfer market and see if there is one or two players that could maybe keep some of my regular starters on their toes and add more healthy competition.

Last edited:
images

MORE UNREST AT FOREST GREEN

images

Following a sensational start to his managerial career on the pitch, Andy Samuels has had just an interesting one off it. On his first day at training he had to lay the law down to two young players of his squad, who subsequently were transfer listed and now it seems that more players have taken the lead due to a lack of playing time. This has lead to Forest Green chairman Dale Vince(pictured) to step in and back his young talented manager. " Andy has done a tremendous job at this club in six months and our future looks even more brighter. I've been in football long enough to understand that if a team is performing you don't change that side, unless you are forced too. Unfortunately two players, Tommy Wright and Curtis McDonald, have decided rather than understand they have to be patient and earn the right to wear the first team shirt, have instead decided to go behind the managers back and come to me to throw their toys out the pram. This is something I will not tolerate and with the backing of Andy, I have transfer listed both players with immediate effect. If they both apologies and knuckle down in training they may play for this club again, until that time I leave all other decisions to my manager.

images

AFC TELFORD 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
New Bucks Head. Att: 1,970

images

A very even game on a very wet and cold afternoon. Both sides played some nice football in the tricky conditions and it was no surprise the teams went in level at the break. Reece Styche(59') put us ahead with a great header from a Kieron Forbes corner. I tried to shore up the middle of the pitch by bringing on an extra midfielder and play on the counter in the hope of holding onto the lead, but those hopes were dashed as Andy Brown(Pen 72') slammed the ball home from twelve yards.

Following on from the unrest with some of my fringe players and promising youngsters I felt I had a big task to solve. Do I give into their demands, then making me look like a walk over? or Do I freeze them out completely, running the risk of upsetting the team morale I've built in my time so far? With these thoughts playing on my mind I decided to call a meeting with my team captain Jared Hodgkiss to talk things over with him.
The meeting didn't last long as we both knew that unless the small minority sorted themselves out, then whatever action they took, it would not disrupt the great work achieved so far by the rest of the team.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 YORK
The New Lawn. Att: 1,255

images

A huge game tonight versus a side very much in the playoff hunt. Typical of our recent home form the boys knew exactly what I wanted and stamped their authority on the match. James Rowe(19') scored the first of the game, picking the ball up from the edge of the box and unleashing an unstoppable right foot drive into the net. Reece Styche(26') slotted home at the second attempt to score his 13th of the season so far and secure a huge win for the fans and us.

images

JANUARY SALES AT ROVERS

images

Forest Green Rovers have today announced the sale of three players. Young prospect Matt Taylor has joined Blue Square Premier outfit Alfreton Town on a free transfer. Taylor who didn't feature for the first team, was on the transfer list due to a difference of opinion with his manager. "I'm deeply sorry for what I did at Forest Green and hoped I could be part of the current succes, but my actions let me down. I hope to start a fresh at Alfreton and wish all the Forest Green players all the best for the future". said the 20 year old forward. Another out the door is well travelled attacker Charlie Griffin, who joined Blue Square South team Salisbury City on a free transfer. Lastly, Michael Pook left for no fee joining lowly Blue Square Premier club Tamworth.
Forest Green boss Andy Samuels stated " I'm sorry to see the lads leave the club, especially young Matty Taylor, as I feel with the right guidance he could've become a good player, but he decided very earlier on he didn't want me as his mentor. Both Pooky and Charlie G have been great stalwarts for the club, but with our finances not looking great currently, I just felt it was offers we couldn't turn down".

images

SOUTHPORT 1 - 3 FOREST GREEN
Haig Avenue. Att: 1,073

images

A nice victory today as we kept up our title ambitions. Reece Styche(44') scored in off the post to send us in at the interval with a deseved lead. Great work by Kieron Forbes allowed Michael Uwezu(63') a simple tap in to double our advantage. Sub James Norwood(80') scored a lovely individual effort to finish the game off.

images

SWEET SIXTEEN!!

images
images

Forest Green have stretched their unbeaten league record to an astonishing sixteen games following the 3 - 1 victory at Southport over the weekend. Behind the brilliant form has been the fantastic forward partnership of Reece Styche(left) and Michael Uwezu(right), they have amassed a total of 26 goals, Styche with 14 and Uwezu with 12, to take Forest Green to the top of the Blue Square Premier and with seventeen games left, the supporters are gradually starting to believe their club could be playing in NPower League two next season.

images

FOREST GREEN P - P STOCKPORT
The New Lawn. Att:

images

Match Postponed - Due to Snow.

It was the beginning of February and I sat in my office and gazed out the window over looking the car park and took in everything that has happened in just under a year. I had been given the chance to start my managerial career, Louise had set up a successful Cafe/Bistro and we bought a lovely house, I felt extremely lucky to have worked my way up from grassroots to now living the dream, well not the ultimate dream, but the start towards it. With that lasting thought I knew how close the club was to getting into League football for the first time in their history and I was going to make sure that happened.

images

BRAINTREE 2 - 3 FOREST GREEN
Cressing Road. Att: 638

images

We had gone just under three weeks without a game, due to our non involvement in the FA Trophy and it showed as we were a goal down inside the first five minutes. Sean Marks(3') fired the hosts into the lead, taking advantage of our slow start. Eddie Oshodi(25') and Jamie Turley(30') scored nearly identical headers from corners to put us in front. Sean Marks(40') grabbed his second and the equaliser to pull the hosts level. With the game looking to end in a draw, we were awarded a penalty deep into injury time and the on fire Reece Styche(Pen 95') made no mistake and sealed the win for us.

images

FOREST GREEN 0 - 1 WREXHAM
The New Lawn. Att: 1,517

images

Our fantastic league form ended today as Wrexham sealed the double over us this season. And it was a rather sluggish performance that allowed Wrexham to dominate throughout. Andy Morrell(Pen 75') scored the only goal of the game and although we lost via a penalty it was no less than we deserved.

images

KIDDERMINSTER 0 - 3 FOREST GREEN
Aggborough. Att: 986

images

I wanted a response in todays match and it's exactly what I got, we were superb. James Norwood(15') in for the injured Seb Carole, opened the scoring with a well placed effort after cutting in from the left. Reece Styche(38') put to bed any questions about his recent slump, as he got on the scoresheet again. James Bittner then saved a Luke Jones(missed Pen 45') when he saved well down to his left, from the resulting save we went down the other end and Styche(45') helped himself to his second pouncing on a spilled Al Bangura shot. There were no more goals and we answered the critics who thought maybe we would start to lose our grip at the top.

images

CAMBRIDGE 1 - 5 FOREST GREEN
The Abbey Stadium. Att: 1,938

images

We followed on from our last away win, with an even better victory here this evening. Michael Uwezu(3') got us up and running with a fine left foot shot. James Norwood(60') then continued his fine recent form with our second. We then conceeded our third penalty in as many games, this time Jase Griffiths(Pen 67') made no mistake and pulled the home side back into the game. Reece Styche(80') gave us back a two goal advantage when he cooly slid home. Then it was Uwezu(84' 91') to have the final say as he completed his hat-trick in the closing stages.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 0 STOCKPORT
The New Lawn. Att: 1,550

images

We ended the month with a home game, and as we lost our last one, I was hoping we could repay the fans with a better performance. Carl Piergianni(Own goal 2') gave us the perfect start as he sliced the ball into his own net. Then the inform Michael Uwezu(11') doubled the lead and kept us firmly in control. We waited until fairly late in the second half to finish the game when a collectors goal from Al Bangura(78') received the biggest cheer of the night.

We have now built up a thirteen point lead still at the top of the division, with only the Wrexham game being the biggest disappointed, it's only one loss I'm sure some of you are thinking, but I hate losing!! Going into next month we face eight fixtures and if we can get six wins I think that should be enough to seal promotion and the league title.

The most important month arrived and I still felt with at least six wins from the eight games we would face, that would be enough to secure promotion at the very least. Easier said than done I thought to myself, as I disected each fixture and knew that there were three games in the mix that would prove very tough and would need the squad to stay focused throughout.

images

DARLINGTON 1 - 0 FOREST GREEN
Darlington Arena. Att: 1,185

images

This was not the start I was hoping for or even expected. We were humiliated again by a side deep in financial turmoil and maybe some nerves have started to appear. It was a performance I want to forget about very quick and that was made even more apparent as the winner was with the last kick of the game scored by James Gray(90').

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 0 GRIMSBY
The New Lawn. Att: 1,547

images

We played against a team bang in form today and sitting fourth in the league. I said to the boys, we owe the fans that travelled during the week up North, a big performance today. And with that kick up the backside, the team produced a fine win. Reece Styche(14', 46') put in a great display and both his goals gave us a nice lead. Kieron Forbes(50') settled the game when he scored a placed effort. Styche(Missed Pen 90') could've sealed his hat trick, but screwed his penalty wide.

images

FLEETWOOD 3 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Highbury Stadium. Att: 1,393

images

A chance to claim a big scalp against the richest club in the league, but I was left frustrated and not for the first time this month. We found ourselves three nil down at half time as goals from Keith Briggs(5') and Alan Goodall(16', 42') gave the hosts a huge confidence boost and left us to produce a miracle special to get something from the game. Michael Uwezu(64') and a Reece Styche(Pen 78') set up a great finale and in the last minute I thought we had claimed a draw, but James Norwood headed over when it was easier to score.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 1 NEWPORT CO
The New Lawn. Att: 1,383

images

This evening saw first against second and for the second game running I wanted a big performance from the team, and as we only gave it in the second half against Fleetwood, I demanded it for the whole ninety minutes today. Seb Carole(1') settled any lingering nerves with a well taken free kick inside the opening minute. Our midfield ran the show from the opening goal and Al Bangura(59') was rewarded for his fine performance with a neat finish. The game was put out of reach by Reece Styche(76') who rounded the keeper to grab our third. Nathaniel Jarvis(83') pulled a goal back for the visitors, who had Gwion Edwards(Sent off 85') in the closing stages.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 MANSFIELD
The New Lawn. Att: 1,524

images

We could take another huge step to the title if we could beat our third placed opponents. The man of the moment was to thank for a crucial three points today. Reece Styche(14', 44') scored both as these goals saw him soar to the top of the goalscoring charts.

images

FOREST GREEN 0 - 1 LUTON
The New Lawn. Att: 2,164

images

In front of one of our highest crowds we turned in a dismal performance and it looks like nerves have crept into some of my younger inexperienced players. We were second best throughout long before Bilel Mohsni(39') scored the only goal of the game.

images

TAMWORTH 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
The Lamb Ground. Att: 771

images

We knew that three points today and with other results going our way, we could be crowned champions. I tried to settle the nerves in the dressing room by telling the players to keep playing how they had been and it looked to have sunk in as Reece Styche(21') put us ahead with a close range header. The lead only lasted ten minutes as Nabil Shariff(31') equalised for Tamworth and that's how it stayed as both sides had to settle for a draw.

images

BATH 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Twerton Park. Att: 550

images

The television cameras were out in force for this match, meaning that victory tonight would seal promotion and the league championship. Like in the previous few games we couldn't settle into our usual passing game and with the added pressure of the media we were making more mistakes than usual. It needed a calm Reece Styche(28') finish to help ease some of the tension that could be felt around this small stadium. I felt we needed another goal to help us finally feel more like ourselves and it came when Seb Carole(65') finished off a fine flowing move, which lead to a mini pitch invasion. In the last third of the game we kept the ball and knew that's all that was needed to help us get the result we wanted.

images

SENSATIONAL SAMUELS

images

With four games left of the season Andy Samuels has lead Forest Green Rovers to the Blue Square Premier title in his first season in charge. Samuels was appointed back in June last year and despite bringing in his own backroom staff and signing Seb Carole, he has acheived the unthinkable using the same squad that previous manager Dave Hockaday struggled with last season. Samuels had this to say after the victory against Bath "I'm thrilled, I came here with a plan to re-shape the club and playing philosophy. Not in my wildest dreams did I think we would win the league so convincingly and with games to spare. The lads have been unbelievable and deserve all the plaudits coming their way".
A Large part of the success is down to the goals scored by the leagues leading scorer Reece Styche, who endured a barron patch midway through the season, but Samuels stood by him and it has reaped it's rewards. Dale Vince, the chairman, added "Andy has been a breath of fresh air to this club and has proved to everyone that he has the makings of a great manager. I'm sure there will be alot of clubs interested in him, but he's ours and I hope we can keep him for many more years".
Forest Green have been promoted to the NPower League Two for the first time in the clubs history.

Everyone on here somehow manages success in their first season.The best I've done is the League Cup with Newcastle

Everyone on here somehow manages success in their first season.The best I've done is the League Cup with Newcastle

I always find not too change too much in the early stages and gradually make one or two changes slowly. With this save, I've kept the same Forest Green team from the start and only brought in Seb Carole.

The evening that sealed promotion myself and Louise decided to go out and celebrate my achievement and also the moving in to our new home. We chose a nice little restaurant in the town to toast our celebrations.
images

On route to the restaurant I received a call from my agent Matt, who is also my brother, "Andy" he said, "There are rumours and speculation that Darlington are planning to make a formal approach for your services". "Ok mate, thanks for letting me know, keep me informed of any developments and if I need to issue a response". I responded as we made our way to our table. Myself and Matt both knew that I wouldn't be leaving, especially to a club that had been relegated, so hopefully the rumours would soon go away.
We didn't stay out too late and didn't drink too much, as though the job had been done we still had games left to play and I wanted us to be professional in our approach to the last four matches and finish with as many points as possible.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 1 ALFRETON
The New Lawn. Att: 1,118

images

A nice win today in terrible conditions. Reece Styche(13') gave us the lead with a typical finish, placing the ball home from close range. Michael Uwezu(22') got our second and his 20th of the season. Ben Hunt(Own goal 31') put the game to bed with only half an hour played. Although Josh Law(88') pulled one back late on, we were too good for our opponents.​

images

LINCOLN 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Sincil Bank. Att: 1,836

images

We fell behind after Josh Gowling(13') gave the hosts the lead early in the half, but Jamie Turley(15') equalised almost immediately. For the remainder of the match the lads looked very uninterested and didn't produce anywhere near what I expect of them.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 2 GRIMSBY
The New Lawn. Att: 2,246

images

Our last home performance infront of the home faithful, and it was not how I wanted to repay their faith in us, so much so it was the first time I lost my cool and ensured I let the players know. Yemi Odubade(34') put Grimsby into the lead with a well taken finish. Finally in the second half we woke up and started to get back into the game and Michael Uwezu(79') pulled us level, but that was short lived as we switched off almost straight away and allowed Liam Hatch(82') to score the winner.

images

HAYES & YEADING 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Kingfield Stadium. Att: 675

images

The last game of the season and it fizzled out with a lucky draw. Though there was a record broken and that was Reece Styche(Pen 51') who scored his 29th of the season and his 48th for the club in total to make him our highest ever goalscorer in the clubs history. Before that feat, Hayes & Yeading took the lead with a Julian Owusu(10') screamer from the edge of the box.

It wasn't quite the ending I was hoping for to end the season, but I couldn't be too harsh on the squad as we have been phenomenal over the 46 league games. I was now looking forward to a long well deserved break. Even though I haven't been in the game long I learnt that even though the season had finished their would be many a rumour over my future and the clubs financial situation that now had us £570,000 in the red and of course the famous transfer rumour mill that would be kicked started into action almost immediately.

Back