From Grassroots...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 19K
Nice story mate, It is well written so keep up the good work.

I just have 2 suggestions for you to stew over...
1. I would lower the amount of images slightly. Theres no need for images of the stadium after most matches. Images are best used sparingly for more effect.
2. When using quotations or talking text maybe put it in italics to make it stand out more.

Will pop in from time to time :)

Nice story mate, It is well written so keep up the good work.

I just have 2 suggestions for you to stew over...
1. I would lower the amount of images slightly. Theres no need for images of the stadium after most matches. Images are best used sparingly for more effect.
2. When using quotations or talking text maybe put it in italics to make it stand out more.

Will pop in from time to time :)

Thanks for the feedback mate. I like having the pics of different stadiums, but can see how it maybe too much, so will have a think about that. With italic writing when talking completely agree and will change that.

Appreciate the comments. Cheers buddy.

images

WATFORD YOUNGSTER JOINS

images

With the uncertainty surrounding Andy Samuels' future at Forest Green Rovers, it hasn't stopped the young manager bringing in left winger Matty Whichelow from Watford. After being told he could not bring any permanent deals to the club, Samuels wasted no time in delving into the loan market for the 21 year old exciting midfielder, who will join till the end of the campaign.
Samuels, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has decided to bring in extra cover to both flanks due to the loss of Seb Carole to injury and the out of favour James Norwood.

images

FOREST GREEN 4 - 1 MORECAMBE
The New Lawn. Att: 4,130

A cracking win today against a side in the relegation zone. Due to the upcoming Final, I decided to rest a couple of players to freshen things up. And it was James Rowe(5') who fired us into the lead. That advantage didn't last long as Andy Fleming(6') levelled straight from the re-start. That goal shocked us into life, and Michael Uwezu(13') put us back in front with a well placed shot. Reece Styche(28' Pen) kept his nerve from the spot to double our advantage. The win was sealed early in the second half thanks to a Barry Roche(54' Own goal) when he bundled the ball over his own line.

images

3rd Round
FOREST GREEN 1 - 1 CARDIFF
The New Lawn. Att: 5,147

We started the game in typical dominate fashion and inside the first ten minutes we had already tested their keeper four times. Our dominace continued right upto the half time whistle, but we couldn't find the break through. Into the second half and the deadlock was broken, unfortunately for us Joe Mason(64') put the visitors ahead. I was hoping we weren't going to rue our missed chances, and thankfully Michael Uwezu(68') slid home from close range to equalise. Both sides had further chances, but in the end we settled for a replay.

images

BARNET 2 - 4 FOREST GREEN
Underhill. Att: 1,648

A thrilling end to end game today, and I was pleased it was us who claimed the three points. Michael Uwezu(17') put us one up at half time. All the action soon followed in the second period. Jamie Turley(51') got our second, but we got pegged back soon after as Michael Ngoo(57') scored with a cracking header. We kept pushing forward and Matty Whichelow(74') scrambled home his first for us to extend our lead again. As we kept going forward, we left gaps at the back and were duly punished again by Michael Ngoo(86'). Reece Styche(92') finally put the game to bed, when he tapped in, in injury time.

images

FOREST GREEN 0 - 2 OXFORD

A capacity crowd was present for the game today, and I had a decision to make on who played, with both our FA Cup replay coming up and also our Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final match. I chose to rest some players and it back fired as we were well and truly out played by our opponents. Oli Johnson(2') gave Oxford the best start early on and Johnny Gorman(48') made it two just after half time to send the points back with the visitors.

images

3rd Round Replay
CARDIFF 2 - 0 FOREST GREEN
Cardiff City Stadium. Att: 16,633

Both sides knew the victorious side would face an away trip to mega rich Man City in the fourth round. With that prize facing us and the potential of a big finacial day, I hoped we could pull off an upset. We played very well and like in the first game we just didn't have the luck in front of goal. Oussama Darragi(33' & 74') scored the goals in both halves to send the championship side through to the next round.

images

CHELTENHAM 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Whaddon Road. Att: 4,151

We bounced back with a fine victory in the league against a side in the play off zone. It was two goals in the space of a minute late in the game that brought us the vital win. Michael Uwezu(77') got the first, which was shortly followed by Reece Styche(78') who scored our second of the game.

images

Southern Final 1st Leg
FOREST GREEN 3 - 1 PORTSMOUTH
The New Lawn. Att: 4,843

The boys rose to the occasion infront of the television cameras, with a well earned victory, to give us the advantage going into the second leg in two weeks time. Jamie Turley(31') continued his fine form scoring a bullet header. Portsmouth's leading scorer Marko Futacs(37') got the League One side back on level terms. With the first half looking like a draw, Yala Bolasie(45') popped up with a fine strike to give us the lead on the stroke of half time. I felt we needed a two goal cushion and I got my wish minutes after the restart when Turley(47') again scored with his second header of the game to give us a healthy lead for the return leg.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 SHREWSBURY

Another fine win and performance in the rain and wind for the capacity crowd. Tom Adeyemi(9') gave us the perfect start when he scored from close range. Even though were in control for long periods, we had to wait till the closing stages to seal the win. Yala Bolasie(88') scored his fourth of the season when he tapped the ball home after good work from Chris Stokes.

January proved to be a great month for us on the pitch with a third round tie in the FA Cup, and we are a step away from a Final in the Johnstone's Paint trophy. To go with the cup runs we are still keeping up the fine league form, and there is a confidence around the squad that we are starting to believe we could be in line for a second consecutive promotion.
Off the pitch there is still some uncertainty about my future, and although I have a great relationship with the chairman, it's the other board members who are proving more of a challenge. I just know Ihave to keep doing what I am and see what the future brings.

images

BURTON 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Pirelli Stadium. Att: 3,500

We were pegged back earlier on as Filipe Morais(2') scored a free kick, to settle the home sides nerves. It was the leagues leading scorer that got us back on level terms, Reece Styche(31') budling the ball home after a goal mouth scramble. Despite us taking the game to Burton, we had to settle for a point.

images

GILLINGHAM 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Priestfield. Att: 3,122

Back to winning ways tonight and it was just the tonic needed before our final second leg. Matty Whichelow(19') put us ahead with a great right shoot into the roof of the net. We carried on attacking the home sides goal and eventually found our second goal thanks to Reece Styche(78')

images

Southern Final 2nd Leg
PORTSMOUTH 0 - 0 FOREST GREEN
(Forest Green win 3 - 1 on aggregate)
Fratton Park. Att: 13,116

I knew what task faced us tonight and with how well the boys had been training all week, their was a confidence we could progress to Wembley. It was a fairly even game as both sides had alot of posession, but neither side could find a break through. As the final whistle went, our fans spilled onto the pitch to look forward to our day out at Wembley.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 2 BRADFORD

Our visitors today would also be the ones that we would be stepping out against at Wembley. We started off attacking on the front foot and were rewarded through Matty Whichelow(10') who got on the end of a dangerous cross to slide the ball over the line. Despite having the lead, the lads seemed to drop their levels and we were made to pay as two goals in as many minutes put us behind and facing another loss at home in front of a full house. Jordan Slew(36') and Craig Fagan(38') were the scorers as Bradford did the double over us this season in the league.

images

TWO MORE IN AS INJURIES MOUNT

images

Forest Green boss Andy Samuels is facing a small injury crisis as the club enter an important stage of the season. With a trip to Wembley and a remaining twelve league games left, Samuels' squad has been hit hard through injury. Attackers Michael Uwezu and Vincent Pericard are both ruled out for four weeks with groin and thigh injuries. This has lead Samuels to bring Bournemouth striker Matt Tubbs(above) in on a three month loan. Also, joining Rovers is talented young midfielder Daniel Johnson, who joins in a similar deal to Tubbs. Johnson has been brought in after James Rowe was ruled out for six weeks with back injury.

images

TORQUAY 1 - 0 FOREST GREEN
Plainmoor. Att: 1,861

Another loss this evening and a second on the trott. With the new signings making their debuts, we struggled to get going. And the sucker punch came on the stroke of half time when Ray Spear(45') scored from an acute angle.

Not the best way to end February, but pleasing in the fact we are through to a Wembley appearance and are still sitting at the top of the league with only fourteen games left, so it's very much in our hands to acheive a remarkable promotion and second league title.
I just hope we can get back to winning ways quickly and reward the fans with a cup win at the end of March.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 STEVENAGE
The New Lawn. Att: 4,754

A tough fixture against a very good Stevenage side. It was an even game overall, and it was a piece of sheer brilliance that claimed us the win. Matty Whichelow(19') scored with an unstoppable twenty five yard effort, that left the opposition goalkeeper rooted to the spot.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 CRAWLEY
The New Lawn. Att: 4,148

Our second home game in as many days and we followed up the weekend win, by beating a Crawley side struggling in the lower reaches of the table. Reece Styche(59') and Matt Tubbs(76') were the heroes in this fine victory.

images

DAG & RED 2 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Victoria Road. Att: 3,325

A very entertaining game with both teams set up to attack. The lively Ibra Sekajja(27') gave the hosts the lead, using his pace to beat the keeper snd slot home. Tom Adeyemi(53') scored a wonder goal to pull us level. But it was Sekajja(73') who was at it again finishing off a fine move to put the Daggers back in front. We had to wait till the last kick of the game to earn a point thanks to Matty Whichelow who scored from a free kick.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 MACCLESFIELD
The New Lawn. Att: 4,080

Our fine run at home continued with another great performance. Michael Uwezu(8') scored a tap in after good work from strike partner Matt Tubbs. And it was roles reversed for our second goal, this time Uwezu set up Tubbs(83') who latched onto the through pass and placed his shot into the corner of the net.

images

PLYMOUTH 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Home Park. Att: 4,687

We remained unbeaten in
five games with this draw at Home Park. But we had to come from behind after Darren Purse(53') had headed Plymouth into the lead. Our equaliser was thoroughly deserved even though it came deep into injury time. Seb Carole(93') blasting the ball into the net past the on coming keeper.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 WREXHAM
The New Lawn. Att: 4,985

We managed to claim our first victory over Wrexham today, and it was thanks to a goal worthy of winning any game. James Rowe's(57') curling dipping effort was enough to seal a vital win for us.

images

EXETER 1 - 2 FOREST GREEN
St James Park. Att: 1,661

A pleasing win today, with me resting a number of key players due to our final being at the weekend. Pat Baldwin(6') got us of to a great start heading home a corner from close range. Yala Bolasie(13') doubled our lead a short while later, with an easy tap in. Daniel Nardiello(64') halved the deficit, but we held on, to go into the final full of confidence.

images

FOREST GREEN PREPARE FOR FINAL

images

Forest Green are all set to hit Wembley this weekend, to take on League Two rivals Bradford City in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final. Despite their current run of good form, Forest Green have not beaten their opponents on the two occasions they have met in the League this season. They will also go into the game with leading scorer Reece Styche, who is struggling with a pulled hamstring. Also missing is influential midfielder Al Bangura who is ruled out with groin strain and captain Jared Hodgkiss who failed a late fitness test on a troublesome ankle.
Both sides are currently in the top six of League Two and the expected 40,000 strong crowd, should be in for a very entertaining game.

It was the morning of our cup final, and I didn't get alot of sleep, mainly due in some part to nerves, but most crucial was I still hadn't decided on my starting eleven. I sat up in my hotel bed, and began to scribble down a variety of starting line ups, obviously not including the players unlucky to be missing out with injury.
I glanced at the clock and saw it was 10 'o' clock, we had a team get together at breakfast in half an hour, with a plan to get on the coach at midday. So I got showered, changed and put together my matchday folder and headed down to meet the rest of the squad.

images

Suddenly it was midday and we made our way to the coach to start our journey to Wembley. The lads seemed very relaxed and focused, which was no surprise to me as this is the approach I had drilled into them right from my first day. On route to the stadium I received a phone call, "Hello" I answered. "Hi Andy, it's David Drew, I just want to wish you the best of luck today, and that with this game we will bring in even more revenue to the club. Anyways, good luck." Before I could respond, not that I wanted to, he had hung up. "What an idiot!!".... I thought to myself, he's the reason why I'm weighing up my future, all he thinks of first is money, rather than the bigger picture of what we can go onto with the odd risk here and there.
Anyway, putting the uneasy call to the back of my mind, I had a job to do first and that was to make sure that even though the squad looked confident I wanted to prepare them mentally for what lies ahead.

images

We arrived at the stadium as the fans were walking down Wembley way, all buying their souvenirs and food from the many food outlets.
Although it was a small cup, compared to Europe's finest competitons, it is a fantastic opportunity for a club the size of ours to have the chance to play at the nations home stadium and gives the fans a great day out.
With the stadium fast filling up, I gave the team my pre-match talk. It was nothing different to what I've spoken to them about this season already, I just wanted them to enjoy the game, express themselves on the pitch and dominate posession throughout. On cue as the last word came out of my mouth, the bell went, and we lined up in the tunnel ready to go out into the stadium................

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 1 BRADFORD
(1-1 aet. Bradford win 4-2 on penalties)

images

We started off very brightly and should of taken the lead inside the first ten minutes, but Yala Bolasie wasted a good chance, when he fired straight at Bradford keeper Jon McLaughlin. Another chance went begging, this time Pat Baldwin headed over from a corner and then moments later we found ourselves behind. A slip from the ever reliable Jamie Turley allowed Jordan Slew(23') the chance to score and he made no mistake and sent the Bradford fans into wild celebrations. The goal disrupted our play and we soon chasing the game and were lucky not to be two behind when the impressive Slew missed a golden opportunity, blazing his shot over the bar. Luckily we managed to make it to hald time only a goal down and I needed to get the confidence back into the boys.
Into the second half and we got a deserved equaliser when a Seb Carole(69') cross flew over the keepers head and nestled into the top of the net, it was no less than we deserved, and this time it was our fans that went crazy. The remaining twenty odd minutes flew by and as the ref blew the full time whistle, extra time awaited my tiring players. Again, I reiterated to the lads that we needed to keep being positive and we were capable of getting the next goal. I made a coupe of subs, knowing the likely hood would be that penalties would seprate these two evenly matched sides. With no real chances of note in the extra thirty minutes, it went down to the lottery of penalties.
We won the toss and elected to go second. Bradford's Matthew Pearson stepped up for their first penalty and sent Ole Soderberg the wrong way, 1-0 Bradford. Seb Carole was our first taker, he ran up and sent the ball crashing into the net, 1-1. Mark Stewart then made it 2-1 Bradford. Matt Tubbs, who has scored numerous penalties, was my next selection, he placed the ball on the spot, ran up and sent his spot kick over the bar, 2-1 Bradford after two penalties each. Kyel Reid was next up for the Bantams and he made no mistake putting them 3-1 up. Youngster Daniel Johnson stepped up for us knowing we needed to score to stay in the game, he saw his left footed effort saved by the Bradford keeper, 3-1 Bradford with two penalties remaining. John Lundstram knew if he scored he would win the trophy for Bradford, but he dragged his effort wide and gave us a glimmer of hope. Tom Adeyemi placed the ball on the spot knowing he had to score, and he did just that, confidently smashing the ball home, 3-2 Bradford. Our hopes were firmly with Ole Soderberg as he faced Conor Henderson, who was taking the last penalty for the visitors. Henderson took a short run up, and fired the ball to the right of Soderberg and into the net off the post. 4-2 Bradford.
My players sank to their knees, as the Bradford squad and management team went off to join in the jubilant celebrations with their support. I went round each of my boys consoling them, and telling them how proud I was with each one to get this far.

Back on the team bus and on our way back home, I invited the squad to 'Perfectisimo' Louise's bistro for a celebration meal to enjoy the fantastic journey we have been on and to prepare ourselves for another seven cup finals with our remaining league games.
Whilst we were waiting for our desserts, I announced to the group that despite all the speculation surrounding my future, I was 100% behind the team and fully committed to giving my all for the club. I felt I needed to stop any uncertainty creeping in at such an important stage of the season and with doing so I let them know I had delayed talks on a new contract until the end of the season, so it didn't distract us from what we needed to do. I left the bistro and leaving behind the rest to enjoy a sensible rest of the night. As I approached my car, my mobile went off, it was Matt, my agent. "Andy, I've just been approached by Phil scally, the Gillingham chairman, they have offered you a contract to take over at the start of next season. What do you think?" I paused and thought for a minute, before responding "Ahh interesting, but I can't leave the lads now, especially with what they have done since I've been here. Also, I feel we are better than Gillingham, so can you politely say thanks, but no thanks. Cheers mate." The Gillingham job wasn't for me, they were struggling against relegation in the same division as us, and we were on the verge of promotion, plus I felt it would've been a side way move. If, and it's a big if, I left Forest Green I knew it would have to be to a club that matched my ambitions on a larger scale than that here at The New Lawn. Right now, I had to plan our next seven crucial games to make the dream a reality, that the club would be in League One next season.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 1 CREWE
The New Lawn. Att: 4,449

We were back in league action shortly after our efforts at Wembley and it was a tired and laboured performance. Daniel Johnson(27') slid home his first of the season to edge us in front. But the lead didn't last long as Simon Dawkins(34') broke the offside trap and scored to earn Crewe a point.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 YEOVIL
The New Lawn. Att: 4,941

This was billed as the title decider even though there were five games left after this game. A win for us would put us in control of winning the title, but a Yeovil win would put them five points ahead. Reece Styche(3') returned from injury to score his 20th of the season and give us a positive start. and its the sort of performance that had been missing from our last few league games, we totally dominated and Matt Tubbs(49') sealed the win just after half time, to give us a potential confidence boost for the run in.

images

HEREFORD 2 - 0 FOREST GREEN
Edgar Street. Att: 2,626

After a morale boosting win against our nearest league rivals, we were sent crashing back down to earth, as we slipped up against Hereford. Kemar Roofe(52') and Michael Smith(83') grabbed the goals to put a big dent in our title hopes.

images

NORTHAMPTON 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Sixfields Stadium. Att: 3,002

Our hopes were hit again with another lacklustre performance away from home. Luke Gutteridge(32') curled home a superb free kick and that looked to have won the game until Matt Tubbs(90') was sent clear after a long hopeful kick up front, and he fired the ball into the net to secure what could be a very valuable point. With news coming through that Yeovil had lost against AFC Wimbledon we were second only one point behind the leaders, with three games remaining.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 0 AFC WIMBLEDON
The New Lawn. Att: 4,867

I needed a response to our previous two games and that's exactly what I got with a resounding victory over a side in the playoff mix. Matt Tubbs(16') and Matty Whichelow(20') got us off to a great start and we lead at the interval. We didn't allow the opposition anytime on the ball and our hard work paid off when Chris Stokes(71') scored a fortunate goal, when his cross looped over the stranded keeper.

images

CHESTERFIELD 1 - 0 FOREST GREEN
B2Net Stadium. Att: 6,256

With promotion already sealed thanks to the win against AFC Wimbledon, it was now the race for the title. For some reason our away form had let us down in the past few weeks and it did the same today. With news filtering through that Yeovil were drawing, we knew if we could win this game we would go top with a game left to play. Unfortunately Chesterfield had other ideas and when the referee played on after a blatant foul on Eddie Oshodi in our area, the ball fell to Adam Boyd(57') who scored what turned out to be the winner. At the final whistle I was livid, I approached the officials and told them exactly what I thought of his performance.
That loss and with Yeovil drawing meant going into the final game of the season, Yeovil were ahead by a point, yet we had a superior goal difference.

images

PORT VALE 2 - 3 FOREST GREEN
Vale Park. Att: 6,410

And so this was it make or break time, with Yeovil away to Cheltenham, we travelled to Stoke-on-Trent in what turned out to be a very eventful weekend. Carl Finnigan(26') put the hosts ahead with a goal from a defensive lapse. Yala Bolasie(44') pulled us level on the stroke of half time, or so I thought, when into the third minute of stoppage time, where that came from is anyones guess, Finnigan(45') put Port Vale ahead for the second time. At half time, I found out Yeovil were winning one nil, so there was a chance they could draw and so could we and that would make us champions. With the boys up for it even more for the second half, we got our equaliser through Reece Styche(48') who finished off a great flowing move. I knew that Yeovil had scored again, but didn't want to translate that onto the pitch, so I kept encouraging the lads to find a winner and Matty Whichelow(89') popped up with it and we ended our shocking current away form. As the final whistle went, we rushed back into the dressing room, only to find out that Yeovil had won 3-0. It wasn't to be, but we still celebrated like we had won the league, as the club would be playing League One football next season, for the first time in their history.

At home after the game I sat in our study and reflected on the season. I was gutted that we hadn't won the league, but deep down too achieve back to back promotions with such a small squad and budget was a massive feat. The loss in the cup final to Bradford would be an experience I would never forget and has made me stronger, with how to deal with failure in big games.
I went into the kitchen and put the kettle on, when I was interupted by a knock on the door. It was chairman Dale Vince and David Drew, managing director, the greeted me with a huge magnum of champagne, so i invited them in. After toasting our success, I was presented with a piece of paper, "Here is a new contract for you Andy. After your efforts in ashort space of time and a limited budget, we want to tie you down for a further 2 years and increase your salary to £1,700p/w." responded David Drew as he slide the A4 piece of paper across to me. I studied the written print, whilst thinking what my answer should be. After a short silence I replied with my answer " Ok, it all looks good to me, but I want written in that if a big club comes in for me that meets my ambitions, I'm allowed to speak with them. If that can be agreed, then I will happily sign." Before I knew it, a fax was coming through with the amendments I wanted added, and I was signing a new 2 year deal. "Great Andy, we are really pleased. We will be in touch regarding transfer and wage budgets over the next month or two." added Dale Vince.

Both the men left soon after and I went back and finished off the champagne, whilst browsing through another batch of dvds of potential transfer targets. I noticed I had a voicemail on the answer machine, so I pressed play and listened. "Hi Bro, just received a call from League One side Carlisle United chairman Andrew Jenkins. He has just sacked his manager, and has offered you a 2 year deal worth £1,500p/w. Give me a call back to discuss how you want to deal with it. Laters."
'Wow' I thought, I'm starting to get noticed. Which of course is a great feeling, but having only just signed a new deal at Forest Green a matter of hours ago, I can't go back on it, can i?????

The next morning after having slept on the offer from Carlisle, I gave my agent a call back. "Matt, can you set up a meeting with the chairman of Carlisle. Would be nice to go up there and speak to them about their ambitions." Whilst waiting for a call back, I decided I wouldn't tell Louise about the job offer, as I hadn't decided fully on what to do, there was no need to get into lengthy discussions when nothing was had been confirmed on a permanent basis.

images

After completing the five hour journey by car up North, I pulled into the car park at Brunton Park. As i made my way to reception I was taken back by the size of the ground, as it was three times bigger than The New Lawn.
I sat outside the chairmans office for what felt like an hour, I glanced at my watch I saw it had only been ten minutes, and then the door opened. "Hi Andy" said a tall, well built grey haired man. "I'm Andrew Jenkins, chairman of Carlisle United Football Club. Please come in and take a seat."

Andrew Jenkins: "Thank you for coming up so soon Andy. I've been very impressed with the work
you have been doing down at Forest Green, and feel you are the right person to help secure this club in League One.

Me: "It's a pleasure to be here. and thank you for noticing my success. I felt it right to come and meet you and discuss what you
are looking to achieve here and see if our ambitions match."

Andrew Jenkins: " Ok, well despite the size of our stadium, we are struggling to build a bigger fan base, due to the bigger clubs in
the area. Which unfortunately means there isn't a large budget available for transfers or wages. With the restrictions you face at Forest Green, I hoped you could build and increase both aspects here?"

Me: " Right I see, well that's quite a big challenge. Could I have a few minutes to take it all in?"

*** Chairman leaves the room and gives me some time to think ***

Andrew Jenkins: " So what are your thoughts?"

Me: " Well in the short time I've had to digest everything, I feel that it's a fantastic challenge for someone, but I don't think I can
leave Forest Green, especially with my family down South and I've just comitted to the club for another two years. It's just not
the right time at the moment. But please don't rule me out of any future changes you may come across."

Andrew Jenkins: " Thank you for your honesty Andy, I will be keeping a close eye on you and your future work. And maybe one day we can
work together. Have a safe trip home."

So I rejected the offer from Carlisle and looking back on the meeting, the part where the chairman said he wanted to secure a League One status, stuck in my mind throughout the remainder of the meeting and for most of the journey home. I knew I could secure League status with Forest Green despite limit funds again, and having to rely on the loan market and our link with Bristol City. The Carlisle job at present didn't offer the challenge or match my ambitions that i would need to make me leave my current job at present.

images

After a few days away to relax and still fully comitted to Forest Green, I decided to travel up and down the country making personnal scouting trips on potential transfer targets. The reason to make the effort to visit each player, was that I felt a face to face chat would go that bit extra into convincing players to join us, especially as we didn't have a big transfer budget. I let my scout Alan McLeary and chairman Dale Vince finalise loan deals to bring Matt Tubbs and Yala Bolasie back to the club on season long loans, then I asked them to complete the permanent signing of Colchester United youngster Tom Aldred, who was out of contract and stalling on a new deal, so i knew we had to act fast. And I went off on my own to scout and hopefully complete permanent deals for two highly recommended hot prospects.

First up was a trip to Manchester, to watch the reserves play in a friendly at United's Carrington training ground. After an entertaining game, I met with reserve team coach Chris Casper to discuss the signing of midfielder Larnell Cole. Talks went well and about thirty minutes later, Larnell and myself were shaking hands on a two year deal. Although Larnell had been playing central midfield for the United youngsters, I felt he would provide us with a big threat playing out wide as a right winger, something Larnell was very keen on doing and seemed excited at the thought.

Next on the agenda was a trip back down south and to the capital, London. My next target has had a bit of an up and down career, and was a big star at his previous club, where rave reviews were earning him many an admirer. He then moved to his current club, where due to the abundance of talent in front of him, he was facing a difficult situation whether to keep learning and improving from the world class stars, with the odd friendly here and there or whether to make a fresh start and get back to playing regulary and earning the plaudits that he once received. My meeting was at a hotel this time, with Tottenham Hotspur coach Tim Sherwood, who was the instigator behind this meet. The player in question is John Bostock, who was present at the hotel also. Having gone through my ideas and plans for the club and what role John would play for me, I was delighted when John quizzed "where do I sign then??". I didn't hesitate and got a two year contract signed there and then.

It was busy couple more weeks away from the training ground, with four players leaving the club due to their contracts running out and Mirko Ranieri joining on a free transfer, from Tottenham, to act as back up to Ole Soderberg. I also released goalkeeping coach Andy Oakes, who wanted to leave the club due to family reasons and replaced him with Antti Niemi and Barry Hayles joined as attacking coach.

images

Sheffield United 5/1(f)
Bournemouth 6/1
Barnsley 8/1
Sheffield Wednesday 10/1
Huddersfield 14/1

Forest Green 33/1

As you can see by the betting, their are some big teams in league one, and we will have to do very well to compete with them. I told the board that I feel we can aim to achieve a mid table position and with no money to spend and a small wage budget, like the previous seasons I hope we don't encounter a big injury list. That said. I'm looking forward to this season, as it will be the biggest test very early on in my managerial career, but as always I'm positive and so is the squad especially with the quality new additions

FRIENDLY
FOREST GREEN 3 - 0 BRISTOL CITY
The New Lawn. Att: 2,632

A perfect way to start pre season with a resounding win over our championship parent club. I kept faith with the side that got us promoted, as I wanted to slowly introduce the new players into the team. Pat Baldwin(6') got our first, heading home from close range. Christian Ribeiro(22' Own goal) put the ball into his own net to extend our lead further and Michael Uwezu(47') grabbed our third.

FRIENDLY
FOREST GREEN 0 - 0 BRENTFORD
The New Lawn. Att: 1,399

Very disappointed we didn't make the most of our dominace in this game, as we wasted chance after chance against our league one rivals. But on a positive the new signings played some part in the game and looked very good.

FRIENDLY
FOREST GREEN 0 - 3 SPORTING RES
The New Lawn. Att: 677

We were well beaten today by the portuguese giants second string this evening. Ricardo Oliveira(9'), Fernando Mota(22') put the away side two up. Helder(77') got the third, as we were always chasing the game.

FRIENDLY
SUTTON UNITED 0 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Gander Green Lane. Att: 546

A comfortable performance despite the low score. I rested my strongest eleven and gave the fringe/back up players a chance today, and we played some good stuff. James Rowe(33') got the only goal of the game, with a nice finish from the edge of the box.

A pretty good pre season, apart from the Sporting Res game. There were some very promising performances, especially with the current squad showing signs they can play against better players and the new signings seem to be gelling very nicely with the rest of the team. Hopefully we can build on the promising results, and take that form into the start of the season.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 BRADFORD

Brilliant start to the campaign beating a side we had failed to in three previous attempts. Seb Carole(62') got our opener in the second half, with simple tap in. John Bostock(80') on his home debut swept home a left footed effort after great work from Matt Tubbs.

images

1st Round
COVENTRY 4 - 2 FOREST GREEN
The Ricoh Arena. Att: 6,718

An end to end game this evening with both sides creating attack after attack. Matty Pattison(1') put Coventry ahead with their first chance of the game. Then Michael Ordos(21') made it two. Reece Styche(35') broke the offside trap and finished brilliantly to half the deficit. But the lead was soon doubled again when David Bell(37') scored the home sides third. James Rowe(47') set up a thrilling second half scoring with a fine shot from 20 yards. But Mohamed Bangura(84') settled the game with six minutes left to end any hopes of an upset.

images

LEYTON ORIENT 2 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Brisbane Road. Att: 6,501

A good draw today, despite leading two nil. Reece Styche(20' & 27' pen) gave us the ideal start and put us firmly in control. Five minutes before half time we conceded a goal scored by Scott Cuthbert(40') who headed home. A minute into injury time Harry Kane(45') equalised to send both sides in level. Either team could've won the game in the second half, but chances were spurned and the game ended in a draw.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 1 MK DONS
The New Lawn. Att: 4,755

Another draw, but it should've been a victory for us. Matt Tubbs(22') rounded the keeper to put us ahead. Karl Sheppard(51') pulled the away team level just shortly after half time. In the dying moments of the game we had the opportunity to win the game with a Reece Styche penaly, but he saw his poor effort saved by David Martin.

images

WYCOMBE 0 - 3 FOREST GREEN
Adams Park. Att: 7,016

Brilliant away win with all the goals coming during a superb first half performance. Tom Aldred(13') headed in his first for the club from a Seb Carole free kick. Reece Styche(25') headed in number two again from a Seb carole assist, this time from a corner. And victory was sealed after Glenn Morris(32' own goal) slide the ball over his own line, under pressure from Styche.

A good first month in league one, and great to be unbeaten in the league. The only blot being knocked out of the league cup by Coventry. In league action though the victories against Bradford and Wycombe were extremely pleasing. And the only doubt I have currently is our inability to see out games, with a concern over holding onto a lead and not being able to finish teams off despite creating numerous chances. I'm hoping over the next couple of months when the new players have had more time to settle, we will see an improvement and have no regrets.

this is class mate love the layout, give mines a read if u have a chance - the dons revival - an aberdeen fc story. kutgw

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 2 PORTSMOUTH

Fantastic result, as the boys battled for a big win. Pat Baldwin put us in front in the 7th minute, when he headed home from a corner. The dangerous Erik Huseklepp grabbed the equaliser after 22 minutes. But two goals in two minutes before half time gave us a comfortable lead, Reece Styche(40') and John Bostock(42') gave us the advantage at the break. Shortly into the second half Huseklepp(53') grabbed his and Pompey's second, setting up a thrilling last quarter.

images

1st Round
WATFORD 3 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Vicarage Road. Att: 2,070

Norepeat of the Wembley trip like last year as we made things very difficult against our league rivals. Watford were three goals ahead at half time thanks to goals by Craig Forsyth and a double by debutant Reuben Reid. I made a number of changes for the game, but had faith in the team to try and get us through to the next round. In the second half we put up a much better fight and set up a tense final 10 minutes after goals by Al Bangura and Jamie Turley, cut the hosts lead to one, but we couldn't find an equaliser.

images

BOURNEMOUTH 0 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Dean Court. Att: 7,333

Not a great game, but a win is a win. Reece Styche scored the winner in the 28th minute, latching onto a through pass by Matt Tubbs, and placing his shot into the far corner of the net.

images

FOREST GREEN 0 - 3 CARLISLE
The New Lawn. Att: 4,799

Very poor performance against the club that wanted my services at the start of the season. Lee Miller gave the away side the lead on 2 minutes, and that was soon doubled after 10 minutes when James Berrett scored from long range. We found ourselves in a right mess with only 16 minutes gone, as Luke Rogers raced clear and finished superbly.

images

SHEFF WED 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Hillsborough. Att: 15,615

Battling draw today against a side going well in the league. Reece Styche scored a penalty after 26 minutes, after he was brought down inside the area. We didn't create much after and the hosts deservedly got back on level terms thanks to Prince Bauben(64').

images

YEOVIL 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Huish Park. Att: 5,887

I was disappointed to draw today, as we created alot of chances , but failed to take them. Eddie Oshodi(8') scored a total fluke when his cross *** shot flew over the keepers head to give us the lead. We were pegged back just before the interval when Robbie Weir scored from the edge of the box in the 40th minute. I was left scratching my head in the second half as good chances came and went as we failed to find a winner.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 1 ROCHDALE
The New Lawn. Att: 4,775

Our third draw in sucession and more points dropped in my eyes. Our task was made more difficult when Eddie Oshodi was sent off in the 53rd minute, picking up a second yellow. With 10 men we still attacked and took the lead after 71 minutes, with a Reece Styche finish from close range. With a hard fought victory in sight, it was snatched away from us, when the ref controversially awarded Rochdale a penalty in the 87th minute, and Nicky Adams put the spot kick away.

At the end of our second month in league one, my overall feelings were pretty good, though I'm disappointed that we are not scoring enough goals to kill off games resulting in alot of draws. That said, if someone said we would be 6th in the league with only one loss at the start of October, I would've taken it. But as I've said on many occasions the season is early and there's lots more football to be played.

Back