From Grassroots...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 19K
images

Louise and I treated ourselves to a holiday in Marbella following the end of the season. A nice two week break away from football Louise thought to herself, but I knew that between enjoying the sun and relaxing, there was planning to be done ahead of our first ever season in League Two. After finishing unpacking, Louise was eager as always to start sunbathing. As we headed towards the sandy beach so she could improve her tan, my mobile rang, so I called out to her I'd catch her up allowing me to take the call. It was my Brother and Agent Matt "Hi Bro, just a quick note to let you know I've been in talks with Dale and they are offering you a one year extension and a rise to £1,200 a week from your current £650 a week. I said I'd contact you and they will give you as much time as you want to think it over. Have a great hols, speak laters."
After the coversation with Matt, I caught Louise up, who was already in her bikini and soaking up the rays, laid my towel down next to her and told her the news. We enjoyed the sun for a good few hours, then as I was taking a sip on my cocktail, I received a text message from the chairman, Dale Vince. ' Andy, call me when you can. Cheers Dale ' it read. Without disturbing Louise, I got up and walked along through the shallow blue water waiting for Mr Vince to pick up. "Hi Andy, good holiday? Won't keep you, I've received offers for Sam Russell from Stockport, Tommy Wright from Northampton and Gateshead have offered to take Curtis McDonald on a free. Are you happy for me to sanction these deals?". I paused for a second, thought of the financial state of the club and replied "Yes, they can go, I'm happy to get them off the wage bill, and it can free up space for the odd arrival." Mr Vince acknowledged what I said and I got on with enjoying the rest of the evening with no more disruptions.

images

Over the next couple of days I spent the majority of it on my IPad emailing potential targets to my chairman, who in response told me off a deal he had struck with the chairman of Bristol City to act as a parent club with us being its feeder. The agreement will also see us receive an annual fee of £34,000, which in the current times is very welcome. With the chairman armed with my list of priority targets, I also spoke to my assistant Matin O'Connor to scout a few players aswell. After contemplating my plans for the new season, I decided that I wasn't going to make major changes to my current squad. I did, however want to bring in a new Goalkeeper and Striker to strengthen the group. With the majority of my preparation done that I could do whilst I'm away, I made sure I spent the remaining days making the most of the Louise's company and the relaxing surroundings, as in a weeks time it would be back into the up and down life of a football manager.

A day after arriving back in rainy England, and I had a meeting to attend with the chairman and other board members. First they went over the current financial state of the club, and although they weren't too happy, understood that with the changes I made on my arrival, agreed it was expected to take a small hit, but stressed we needed to curb the decline sooner rather than later. Not surprisingly I wasn't given any money to sign new players, but did have a slight increase to the wage budget., which should help me bring in the players I'm hoping to sign to help me succeed in my expectations of a mid table finish and a good cup run in one of the cups.

images

Next I was presented with a one year contract extension and pay rise. With the backing I've received from the board and the faith the chairman put in me by bringing me to the club, I didn't hesistate putting pen to paper and told the people present how delighted I was to be signing the new deal.

images

NPOWER LEAGUE 2 ODDS

Yeovil - 5/1(f)
Wrexham - 5/1(f)
Exeter - 5/1(f)
Chesterfield - 5/1(f)
Gillingham - 6/1
Port Vale - 6/1
Forest Green - 10/1

Given the quality of sides in the league, and with no major signings yet, I was plesantly surprised that the bookies felt we had an outside chance of getting promoted and maybe push for a playoff place. As we have seen so much in football, anything can happen and I'm quietly confident, if I can bring in one or two players then we have a good chance of upsetting the big teams.

images

FANS' DELIGHT AT NEW SIGNINGS

images
images

Forest Green manager Andy Samuels is currently enjoy the adulation of the clubs fans following the signings of Ole Soderberg and Tom Adeyemi. Soderberg, a Swedish under 21 goalkeeper, was out of contract at Newcastle and with The Magpies not offering him a new deal, Samuels stepped in and offered the 21 year old a four year deal. The other transfer coup was Norwich midfielder Tom Adeyemi, who again was out of contract and although Samuels wasn't rumoured to be in the market for another midfield player, felt this was not an opportunity to turn down.
*** Yala Bolasie has also joined Forest Green on a season long loan as part of an agreement in place with Bolasie's club Bristol City.

I was delighted to be able to bring the three new players into the team and as was stated in the newspaper article, Tom Adeyemi was a deal I couldn't pass up. Ole will be number one at the club, with James Bittner as his back up. And as for Yala he brings me extra options out wide and can play upfront also. I would be talking more about my new signings at a press conference that had been arranged for the end of the week with the clubs board members and chairman present.

images

David Drew(Managing Director): "Ladies and Gentleman, thank you for attending. We have called this press conference to introduce our new signings. First please welcome our manager Andy Samuels and then Tom Adeyemi, Ole Soderberg and Yala Bolasie. I will leave the answers to your questions to Andy."

** Big Applause **

Local Reporter: "You must be delighted to bring in three players of this calibre to the club?"

Me: "Yes of course. I'm delighted to welcome them here and feel very excited about seeing them in action."

Local Reporter: "Due to the current state of the fianances do you have to sell any players?"

Me: "No not at all, the two released players plus the four sold, albeit for nominal fees, have allowed us to bring these lads here."

Local Reporter: "Yala Bolasie comes with experience of the division already, so will he be a regular starter?"

Me: "I brought Yala, Ole and Tom to strengthen the starting eleven, but I have a work ethic here and everyone must follow it or they will have to earn the shirt back."

Local Reporter: "Finally, what are your expectations for this season?"

Me: "Well I always aim high, so promotion one way or another, but a mid table position I feel we are capable of."

The same night followed our end of season presentation, where the whole squad and new signings would attend along with the board, chairman and fans of the club.

images

The evening started off with a buffet and then it was down to the awards. Top Goalscorer went to Reece Styche who scored 28 goals in our league success. Young Player went to midfielder James Rowe and Player of the Season, voted by the fans, went to centre back Jamie Turley who produced game after game and also scored 7 goals.
Finally I was left to address the room after picking up the 'Blue Square Premier Manager of the Year' award. "I owe alot to the squad for this award I'm holding, all their hard work and effort was a major factor in our success last season. But we know we can't dwell on that and we are all eager to work even harder and attack this league and hopefully we can give you more to cheer about. Thank you."

In the car on the way home I felt very proud of the award and estatic with what I've managed to accomplished in just over a year in charge at the club. But as I've always done I know I can't afford to get ahead of myself, as pre-season is just around the corner and the league gets underway in a month and we know all to well, in football that bad times can only be around the corner, so I have to make sure I keep them away!!

Next update will be tonight. Hope you are enjoying it, feel free to comment. Thanks.

The weeks training went very well indeed and the new signings look to have fitted in great. I put the squad through their usual pre-season regime, alot of keep ball sessions, along with attacking and defending drills. It was nice to have a clean bill of health going into our pre-season games. Like in the previous warm up games at the start of last season, I am hoping to use the majority of players, so they are all ready to be called upon if and when needed.

FRIENDLY
ASTON VILLA 4 - 3 FOREST GREEN
Viila Park. Att: 12,245

images

Our first game against a side in the Premier League and although Villa didn't field there strongest side, they were two nil up after thirty minutes. Stephen Ireland(1' & 27') gave them a deserved lead. We looked not at the races, as I fielded the same starting eleven that did so well for me last season, but Emile Heskey(49') seemed to have put the game beyond reach. Reece Styche(70') and Michael Uwezu(75') continued there great form infront of goal as we pulled two back. Jamie Turley(84') looked to have completed a superb comeback as he scored a header at the back post. Our hard work was undone as youngster Micah Hartill(90') went through on goal and slotted the ball into the net.

FRIENDLY
READING 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Madjeski Stadium. Att: 8,210

images

We faced newly promoted Reading this evening and it gave me the chance to field my new recruits. Seb Carole(15') got us off to a great start, heading home from a Jared Hodgkiss cross. After wasting a few chances to possibly extend our lead, Mohamed Zidan(38') pulled Reading level on his home debut. The second half was very even and although there were more chances for both sides, a draw was probably a fair result.

FRIENDLY
CIRENCESTER 0 - 3 FOREST GREEN
Corinium Stadium. Att: 424

images

An easy victory in a game we dominated. Reece Styche(15') got us underway with a tidy finish from the edge of the box. A Tom Adeyemi(60') piledriver put us two up and Seb Carole(85') sealed the win in the last five minutes.

FRIENDLY
ARSENAL 3 - 0 FOREST GREEN
Emirates Stadium. Att: 19,903

images

A great performance against a superior side. The home side showed all their quality inside a ten minute spell midway through the first half. Nicklas Bendtner(27'), Abou Diaby(34') and Vasilis Torosidis(37') put Arsenal well in control. There were no goals in the second half, but we performed alot better and that was extremely pleasing.

images

PERICARD JOINS

images

Forest Green Rovers have completed a mini transfer coup with the loan signing of Vincent Pericard. The Cameroon striker has joined 'Rovers' on loan for the season and has become manger Andy Samuels' fourth signing. "I'm very happy to get Vinny in, he has a wealth of experience at all levels and will be a huge asset to the club both on and off the pitch" added Samuels.
Pericard will wear the number 10 shirt.

Looking through my squad after the signing of Pericard, I have cover in every position and with the earlier additions we are much stronger. With the season just under a week from starting, I'm very happy with how pre season has gone and feel suitably prepared for our first game.

images

MORECAMBE 1 - 2 FOREST GREEN
The Globe Arena. Att: 3,723

images

We kicked off the season with an away game, with both teams tipped to be involved in a relegation battle, so I was hoping we could get off to a winning start. We made the break through first thanks to a Reece Styche(9' Pen), that looked to have settled our nerves and made us play with more confidence. The home side levelled when Jared Hodgkiss(31' Own goal) inadvertantly put the ball into our net. Five minutes later we restored our lead, with what turned out to be the winner, when Kieron Forbes(36') superbly glanced a header into the far corner.

images

1st Round
BRISTOL CITY 5 - 0 FOREST GREEN
Ashton Gate. Att: 5,366

images

We were well and truly out played tonight. A Luke Freeman(35') goal put the home side in front at the interval. Jon Stead(46') doubled the lead just after the break, Liam Fontaine(54') added the third, shortly followed by Cole Skuse(72') to make it four nil. In injury time Brett Pitman(91') made sure it was my heaviest defeat as manager and a game I want to forget about.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 1 BARNET
The New Lawn. Att:3,756

images

Back to league action today and I was pleased we had another game so quick after our big defeat last time out. We put on a great show in front of our fans and Jamie Turley(23') got us off and underway with a nice headed finish. All the action came in the last quarter of the game, Jack Saville(75') headed home from close range with what he thought was enough to salvage a point, but two goals in the last five minutes from Reece Styche(85' & 88') gave us a deserved victory.

images

OXFORD 1 - 2 FOREST GREEN
The Kassam Stadium. Att: 9,536

images

A great come back in this evenings game with two very evenly matched teams. Peter Leven(40') gave Oxford the lead with a sweet left foot volley just before half time. In the second half we started to gain more posession and that paid off when Michael Uwezu(60') scored his first of the season. the game looked like it was heading for a draw, until sub Vincent Pericard(82') picked the ball up on the edge of the box, beat a defender and placed the ball passed the outstretched keeper.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 1 CHELTENHAM
The New Lawn. Att: 4,158

images

Reece Styche(38') continued his fine start to the season, when he headed home a Seb Carole cross to put us ahead. We carved out numerous chances, but failed to make any count and it proved costly as Jeff Goulding(67') latched onto a through ball and fired the ball passed Ole Soderberg and into the net to pull the away team level.

Looking back on the month of August, despite the league cup result, I'm thrilled with the great start we have made. I think in a few more weeks, the new signings would have settled in to our style of play and we will start to make count more of the chances we are creating. And to be joint top is great, but I know there is a long way to go.

images

SHREWSBURY 2 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Greenhous Meadow. Att: 6,048

images

We suffered our first league defeat of the season on a wet, cold afternoon away to Shrewsbury. We got off to a great start when Reece Styche(13') fired us into an early lead. And despite us controlling the whole game it was two quick goals before half time that condemed us to a loss. First Eddie Oshodi(Own goal 30') headed into his own net, then Lionel Ainsworth(42') fired the home side in front and they held on for the three points.

images

1st Round
FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 PLYMOUTH
The New Lawn. Att: 1,009

images

This is a competition I'm hoping to go along way in, and also to give my fringe players a run out. We dominated the game throughout, and it was a first team regular that got the winner. Jamie Turley(8') volleyed home from close range to score the only goal.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 2 BURTON
The New Lawn. Att: 3,704

images

We got off to a great start at home today, Jamie Turley(3') again finding the back of the net, this time with a powerful header. We looked to have held on until half time, but Billy Kee(43') pulled the away side level. It was the first time this season that I found us being out played and Burton's persistance paid off with a fine goal by Filipe Morais(78'). With a defeat starring us in the face, we continued to press forward and with the last kick off the game Michael Uwezu(92') drilled home the equaliser.

I have been quite worried with the amount of goals we have been letting in of late and also the chances we are giving the opposition. With this in mind I have sent scout Alan McLeary on a mission to find me an experienced centre back. Along with Luke Graham handing in a transfer request, I think I need to strengthen our defence and also bring in some much needed experience.

images

BALDWIN SIGNS ON

images

After his release from previous club Southend, ex Colchester defender Pat Baldwin has been snapped up by Forest Green Rovers. It's been well known that Forest Green manager Andy Samuels has been wanting to bring in some experience to his very young team and Baldwin certainly fits the bill having played regularly in the lower levels of the football league.
Also joining Forest Green is Ashley Eastham. The young defender was a free agent after Blackpool let him go. Both players are available for selection for Forest Green's next match away to Crawley on Saturday.

images

CRAWLEY 0 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Broadfield Stadium. Att: 2,257

images

Pat Baldwin was thrust into the starting eleven today, with the unlucky Jamie Turley making way. It was a very difficult afternoon with both sides creating chances. It was us who got the break through, after a terrific counter attack which lead to Reece Styche(30') cleverly flicking the ball past the keeper. That's the way it stayed and we claimed a great win.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 TORQUAY
The New Lawn. Att: 2,841

images

A comfortable win today, although the scoreline doesn't reflect it. We hit the woodwork three times before Reece Styche(26') finally broke the deadlock. The rest of the game was sheer domination again, yet we couldn't add to our tally.

images

FOREST GREEN 0 - 1 GILLINGHAM
The New Lawn. Att: 4,177

images

How we lost this game I don't know, I'm hoping I will only experience defeat like this once. We were all over Gillingham from start to finish, but just couldn't find a goal. In their only attack of the game Tresor Kandol(77') headed home, what to turned out to be a very lucky winner for the away side.

images

BRADFORD 4 - 1 FOREST GREEN
Valley Parade. Att: 8,971

images

We were well and truly outplayed by a Bradford team looking for promotion. Bondz N'Gala(32') put them ahead and Mark Stewart(46') added a second just after half time. I had hoped the boys would improve in the second half and we reacted well to going two behind, as Reece Styche(50') halved the deficit. But our bad luck continued as Ole Soderberg(Own goal 67') was credited with an own goal as the ball rebounded off his back after the intially shot hit the post. Jordan Slew(79') added the fourth to consign us to our heaviest defeat so far.

The month didn't end well at all with the two losses, and we will definately have to pick up over the next few months and especially our form in front of goal. I know we will create chances and I've spoken to the forwards and told them they have to start finding the net more often, as at this level you won't have many let offs.
On a positive note, I'm happy with the acquistions of Pat Baldwin and Ashley Eastham. Pat will definately bring a calmer influence to the heart of the defence and both Eddie Oshodi and Jamie Turley can learn lots from him.

After the heavy loss against Bradford, I called a team meeting. I wanted to speak to the squad together as a group and needed to re-iterate to them that with the season just underway we had surprised alot of teams and have performed brilliantly and didn't want those type of performances to end, but on the other hand I didn't want to ever see a showing like what we gave last time out. The whole squad agreed and the meeting was very productive, as I gave an open floor, which the players responded in a professional manner and all seem to be pulling in the right direction.

images

STEVENAGE 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Broadhall Way. Att: 2,049

images

Pat Baldwin was handed his first start, in what was a great response to the disappointed last weekend. I couldn't of asked for a better performance and we took our chances when they were created. Vincent Pericard(20') steered home a right footed effort from ten yards and Reece Styche(28') doubled our lead after great work from Jeffery Imudia.

images

2nd Round
SWINDON 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
(Forest Green win 3-2 on penalties)
The County Ground. Att: 2,867

images

We were handed a tricky draw away to Swindon, who were flying high in League One. Billy Bodin(10') got the hosts off to a great start when he smashed home a left footed volley from close range. I made my usual changes and it was Ashley Eastham(78') making his first start, since joining on a free from Blackpool, that headed home the equaliser. With the scores level after the first eight penalties, Swindon's Paul Benson had the chance to put them infront, but dragged his effort wide, which mean't James Rowe had the opportunity to be a hero and he didn't disappoint, placing his penalty past the outstretched keeper, and putting us through.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 DAG & RED
The New Lawn. Att: 3,225

images

We performed admiraly in todays game and started to play some really nice passing football and created chance after chance. It looked like Dagenham were going to hold onto an undeserved draw, but late on Jamie Turley(80') as he has done time after time pounced on a loose ball and scored the winner.

images

MACCLESFIELD 1 - 4 FOREST GREEN
The Moss Rose. Att: 2,327

images

An away trip to a Macclesfield side who have lately been conceeding alot of goals and we made sure that trend continued this afternoon. Reece Styche(5') and Seb Carole(18') put us well in control within the first twenty minutes. Ben Tomlinson(38') pulled one back for the home side. We re-grouped at half time and got off to a great start when Yala Bolasie(47') scored his first for us and what a goal it was, he picked the ball up deep in our half and ran and ran and ran before unleashing a wicked curling effort into the far corner. A Michael Uwezu(93' Pen) deep into injury time sealed a comfortable win.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 0 PLYMOUTH
The New Lawn. Att: 5,147

images

We hosted Plymouth infront of a record crowd and the lads didn't let the occasion get to them, as they put in a great shift. The team played with alot of confidence and that showed in our attacking and most notably our defending. Reece Styche(39') carried on his recent goalscoring form when he scored from a tight angle.

images

WREXHAM 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN
The Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium. Att: 4,020

images

A trip to Wales was next up playing the side that got promoted with us. we looked like we would be on the end of a loss when Robert Salathiel(83') broke our offside trap and placed the ball into the net. Into injury time and Reece Styche broke down the left and delivered a quality ball into the box and Michael Uwezu(91') slide in to stab the ball home for a deserved equaliser.

A sensational month which saw us rise from outside the playoffs upto second in the league. The signing of Pat Baldwin has helped shore up the defence and the forwards are being more clinical infront of goal. One player I would like to see more of is Yala Bolasie, he has lots of ability but I feel we have yet to see him show it on a consistant basis.

images

FOREST GREEN 1 - 2 EXETER
The New Lawn. Att: 4,990

images

It was disappointing to lose our unbeaten record by conceeding so late in the game. Daniel Nardiello(7') put the visitors ahead with a placed effort into the corner of the net. Ashley Eastham(19') got us back level shortly after with a nice header. But a minute into stoppage time, we switched off at a corner and Chris Shephard(91') headed home a late winner for Exeter.

images

CREWE 1 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Alexandra Stadium. Att: 4,858

images

We fell behind through a Johann Gudmundsson(29') strike midway through the first half. A Harry Davis(Own goal 31') got us level and pegged the hosts back almost immediately. A supeb comeback was complete when Tom Adeyemi drove the ball home from twenty five yards for his first goal of the season and help us to a valuable three points.

images

Quarter Final
FOREST GREEN 0 - 0 BRENTFORD
(Forest Green win 3-2 on penalties)
The New Lawn. Att: 2,678

images

Not the most spectacular of games during the ninety minutes and all the action was left to the penalty shoot out. The hero for us was Ole Soderberg who saved three out of five penalties, leaving Seb Carole to score the winner, to send us through to the semi final.

images

1st Round
FOREST GREEN 3 - 1 GILLINGHAM
The New Lawn. Att: 4,425

images

Yala Bolasie(5') continued his recent good form and scored a fine goal after a solo run. Chris Whelpdale(43' Pen) scored from the spot after a foul by Chris Stokes to level the scores at the interval. After a mini pep talk to get the players believing they could win the game, we went a goal up when the prolific Reece Styche(47') scored a tap in after the ball came back off the post. Seb Carole(56') sealed our passage through to round two.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 1 HEREFORD
The New Lawn. Att: 4,778

images

A great team performance as we dispatched Hereford with ease. Vincent Pericard(35') put us ahead after great work by Bolasie and Styche. John O'Sullivan(57') pulled Hereford level from a quickly taken free kick. But we responded quickly through Pericard(60') again, this time calmly finishing from six yards. Pericard(83') completed his hat trick when he received a pass from Carole and bent a right footed shot into the far corner to secure the victory.

images

2nd Round
HAYES & YEADING 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
The Warren. Att: 1,257

images

A nice second draw saw us face Blue Square Premier opposition and an opportunity to progress to the 3rd round. Our two inform strikers got the important goals, Vincent Pericard(35') with the first and leading scorer Reece Styche(85') sealed the win.

images

YEOVIL 1 - 0 FOREST GREEN
Huish Park. Att: 3,614

images

It was first against second today, with us hoping to close the gap on our opponents. Unfortunately the only goal of the game went to the hosts when Andrew Williams(23') seized on an error by Eddie Oshodi and Williams blasted the ball into the corner of the net, much to the delight of the home fans.

images

CAROLE INJURY BLOW

images

Forest Green have been dealt a major injury scare just days before the clubs' Johnstone's Paint Trophy game against Wycombe. Carole has damaged his achilles tendon and faces upto five months on the sidelines. "It's a huge blow to us. Seb is a major part to how we play, and has been a key factor in our recent performances. When the transfer window re-opens in January I will look to bring in a short term loan." added Forest Green boss Andy Samuels.

images

Semi Final
WYCOMBE 1 - 2 FOREST GREEN
Adams Park. Att: 2,686

images

We progressed into the final with a well earned victory against our higher league opponents, on a wet and windy evening. Vincent Pericard(19') gave us the lead thanks to well taken shot. But we were pegged back a minute later as David Davis(20') equalised for the home side. It stayed level until the final quarter of the game as Reece Styche(76') rounded the keeper to score the winner.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 2 NORTHAMPTON
The New Lawn. Att: 4,957

images

A very entertaining game for the neutrals, but I wasn't impressed with our defending. We should have won by a bigger margin, but two lapses of concentration made the score line looked respectful towards our visitors. We fell a goal behind when Peter Weatherson(4') pounced on some sloppy defending and scored a simple tap in. Yala Bolasie(25') equalised with a fine run and finish. Pat Baldwin(68') scored his first for the club, with Vincent Pericard(72') extending our lead to two goals. Another mistake in our defence let in Michael Jacobs(90') to make the result look closer than it was.

images

AFC WIMBLEDON 0 - 2 FOREST GREEN
The Fans' Stadium. Att: 3,140

images

Another fine performance against a side in the playoff places. Reece Styche(45') scored deep into injury time in the first half to send us in one up. We carried on dominating in the second half and were rewarded when Vincent Pericard(57') scored our second and help seal a deserved win.

images

FOREST GREEN 3 - 1 CHESTERFIELD
The New Lawn. Att: 4,599

images

We showed a great spirit to come back after conceeding so early into the game. Gary Martin(1') gave the visitors a shock early lead, but that goal gave us the rocket we needed to go on and control the game. Goals from Jamie Turley(19'), Reece Styche(23') and Vincent Pericard(61') secured a good fight back to claim three vital points.

images

FOREST GREEN 2 - 0 PORT VALE
The New Lawn. Att: 5,015

images

Another bumper crowd saw us claim our fourth victory in a row in what turned out to be a fairly easy, but professional performance. It took us until the second half to break the deadlock through a Yala Bolasie(62') strike. Michael Uwezu(70') scored after coming on as a sub to seal the three points. Port Vale ended the game with ten players as Adnan Ahmed(81' Sent off) got his marching orders after a two footed lunge.

Looking back at 2012 and halfway through our League Two campaign, I can only have immense pride where we see ourselves presently. We are top of the league and through to the Final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Southern Area Final where we will face Portsmouth over two legs. I really hope I can treat the fans to a day out for the final. My thoughts on the league are that I know it will be tough to maintain the excellent run we have had over the last few months, I only hope I can bring in one or two more players to maintain the push for promotion.
Our financial situation has improved dramatically, due to our fine cup runs and a huge increase in capacity at home games. Though we are still in the red, we have managed to redude the debt by well over £350k, which hopefully will lead to some transfer funds when I meet with the chairman during the week.

images

It was Tuesday morning and I held training at the ground, due to my meeting with the chairman and board. As I was setting up the session, I noticed Dale Vince, our chairman, had arrived, he called out " give us twenty and we'll be ready" and with that I called the lads in and explained what today's training was going to involve. As Martin O'Connor, my assistant, took the lead, Eddie Oshodi came over to me and asked for a chat. "Gaffer, how come I haven't been involved lately from the start? Have I done something wrong?" he quizzed. "No Eddie, unfortunately for you Jamie Turley has taken his chance when you were injured and is performing superbly at the moment. Be patient, you are important to the team and you'll get your chance again soon." I replied putting my arm around my young centre back. "Ok boss, thanks for the honesty, I won't let you down when my chance comes." replied Oshodi and he sprinted off to join in with training.

Next I made my way into the ground through a side door in the west stand and made my way to the boardroom to meet chairman Dale Vince and managing director David Drew.

Me: "Morning Guys, hope we are all ok?"

Dale Vince: "Hi Andy, take a seat. Before we begin I just want to congratulate you on what you have acheived for the club, keep up the fantastic work please."

Me: "Thank you, I'm glad I'm impressing you. Right, I've asked to meet you all, as I feel we need to strengthen the squad a little to keep up our brilliant league position. There's two players I would like to sign on permanent deals and I'm hope you will make some funds available to sanction the deals?"

Dale Vince: "We understand your needs Andy, and would like to help, but unfortunately due to the money we have put into the club recently to help ease the debt we can't allow any permanent transfers. Though the finances are improving, currently we feel it would be inappropriate to free extra funds, sorry."

Me: "But we have an excellent chance to progress here and get back to back promotions, these two players would really help us."

David Drew(Managing Director): "I think we have made were we stand very clear Andy, maybe in a few months we will be in better shaoe to allow you to conclude these deals. Is there anything else?"

Me: "I'm disappointed to hear your response, after everything I've achieved and you don't seem to want to back me further! I'll be going now, as I feel I've said enough."

Dale Vince/David Drew: "Ok Andy, we are sorry"

Dale Vince: "Keep getting those results and we will discuss this later."

I left the room feeling very let down, we are so close to the start of building something special and though I've got the utmost faith in the lads, with a busy fixture list facing us, I'm concerned if we get any injuries we will be leaving ourselves short.
Instead of heading back out to training I got in my car and headed towards Louise's cafe/bistro in the town centre. I really needed to chat and she is always a good listener and offers sound sensible advice. On route to the cafe/bistro, I called Matt, my brother and agent. "Matty, I've just left the meeting about the two new lads. It's a no goer at the moment, which I'm not happy about. I don't know if I can take the club any further, if the board won't back me. Even though I'm not going to make any rash decisions, can you keep an ear out for any other managerial positions that maybe coming available?" I told him. "Yeah sure thing mate. Will keep you posted. Please don't rush any decison. Speak soon."
Pulling up outside Louise's place of work, I told myself to think long and hard about my next move. Do I stay and see what happens at the end of the season? or do I leave and find something else, where I have abit more financial muscle?

images

BBC Sport News understands that Forest Green Rovers manager Andy Samuels is considering his future at the NPower League two side. Samuels who lead Forest Green to the Blue Square Premier title in his first season in charge, is said to have fallen out with the Forest Green board. Reports surfacing from this mornings crisis meeting are suggesting, Samuels, who's side sit top of League Two, approached the board for extra funds to strengthen his squad, only to be told in no uncertain terms that there is no money available!
Uncomfirmed rumours are circulating that Samuels is already being added to a number of clubs wishlists, and given that his contract runs out at the end of the season, a move to another challenge could happen sooner, rather than later.

images

After a positive chat with my lovely fiancee, I left Louise to face another busy evening in her successful eatery and made my way home. I knew I had a decision to make, but was under no pressure to come to a verdict very soon. With lots running through my mind, I locked myself in my study and starting reviewing our opposition for the upcoming games, as I still knew I've got a job to do here and wasn't going to let my personnal differences ruin the great team spirit that has been created over the season.
One tape I was keen on looking at was of a potential transfer target, still hurting from the boards reaction to my recent request, I had to find other ways of improving the depth in the squad and one of thise were the loan market. So i sat back and started to watch a possible future addition.......

Back