Fulham 3-0 Manchester United

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 99
  • Views Views 4K
Hes not match fit yet, you cant just let a player come back from injury and put him straight in the squad. You need to let them gradually gain match fitness

He's been close to the England job a couple of times - was on the shortlist of three when Capello was appointed. He was on the final shortlist back in the late 70s too when Greenwood was appointed. One of the big issues which has put some clubs off him is his reputation for being overly in love with 'direct' football.

It's a catch-22 for him though - he's got to play to the strengths and (relatively) limited abilities of his players, so unless someone gives him another chance with real quality it will be hard for him to demonstrate he can get teams playing the style which everyone is currently trying to emulate.

Fulham's European campaign is interesting precisely because you're getting to see the weaknesses in Hodgson's Fulham set-up (and every other team he's managed), as well as the strengths, when playing against continental teams who won't give the ball back easily if you punt it down the flanks all the time.
I wouldn't be surprised if rather than resigning as Fulham's gaffer, he is forced to leave for a bigger job - because an offer's bound to come in from one of the top 4 eventually, most likely to be Liverpool (no offense). If he can steer a mediocre side like Fulham into the lights of European football then he should be able to help any side come good as long as they have the slightest bit of promise. Imagine what he could do at a big club, it'd be interesting to see definately.

I'm not surprised that he's been one of the front runners for the england job a few times, he plays a quality system which uses the width of the pitch to the advantage of his side. I had no idea he was up there as a candidate for the england job after Steve Mc, I definately didn't know about the time in the 70s - that was long before my time (only 14 :P).

What he needs is a bit more money and the obvious weaknesses that are exposed in europe will become less obvious and he will have chance to patch up the defense (in my opinion his weakest area). I saw gaps in his play during the Basel game, like the 2nd goal which was after a calamitous show after they let themselves stop trying after their 3rd goal.
It's managers like him who clubs need due to his amazing tactical knowledge. Mark Hughes has just been sacked by City - probably due to his inconsistency and he's been replaced by Mancini - a manager who tends to have a rough time tactically in the big leagues. Nowadays reputation seems to mean more to clubs than a good bit of tactical awareness. :@

Though he was match fit until he got injured again, maybe he shouldnt of spent that amount of money on a player who wasnt even playing regularly last season

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

can rise to 21m;)

Though he was match fit until he got injured again, maybe he shouldnt of spent that amount of money on a player who wasnt even playing regularly last season

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

can rise to 21m;)

He's actually been a bit of a bargain. As far as I know only ~£5m has been paid for him so far. Given Liverpool's financial situation it's the perfect deal. If he was fully fit then a fee of £30m+ would be a lot more realistic.

he could of bought kranjcar for 2 million, then spent some money on another striker and a left winger

He's actually been a bit of a bargain. As far as I know only ~£5m has been paid for him so far. Given Liverpool's financial situation it's the perfect deal. If he was fully fit then a fee of £30m+ would be a lot more realistic.
Can hardly call a player a bargain before he's played a few games. He could be another robbie keane.

must be Baird only good match this season hav'nt heard much about him at all, apart from the day

Well I doubt you really watch or read Fulham matches or match reports so I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard much, he has been a key figure in most of our games, not that you'll know again until we play you at Old Trafford

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

I wouldn't be surprised if rather than resigning as Fulham's gaffer, he is forced to leave for a bigger job - because an offer's bound to come in from one of the top 4 eventually, most likely to be Liverpool (no offense). If he can steer a mediocre side like Fulham into the lights of European football then he should be able to help any side come good as long as they have the slightest bit of promise. Imagine what he could do at a big club, it'd be interesting to see definately.

I'm not surprised that he's been one of the front runners for the england job a few times, he plays a quality system which uses the width of the pitch to the advantage of his side. I had no idea he was up there as a candidate for the england job after Steve Mc, I definately didn't know about the time in the 70s - that was long before my time (only 14 :P).

What he needs is a bit more money and the obvious weaknesses that are exposed in europe will become less obvious and he will have chance to patch up the defense (in my opinion his weakest area). I saw gaps in his play during the Basel game, like the 2nd goal which was after a calamitous show after they let themselves stop trying after their 3rd goal.
It's managers like him who clubs need due to his amazing tactical knowledge. Mark Hughes has just been sacked by City - probably due to his inconsistency and he's been replaced by Mancini - a manager who tends to have a rough time tactically in the big leagues. Nowadays reputation seems to mean more to clubs than a good bit of tactical awareness. :@

It would be silly for Hodgson to leave now because if he moved to a bigger club, he is likely to put is potential England job, he has signed a new contract until 2012 which is when Fabio's runs out so it is more than likely that he will end up with at England, Hodgson has already announced that England is the only thing that will tempt him away from the England job.

Liverpool match goers wouldn't accept Hodgson. We'd lynch the board (we're a hairsbreadth away from doing that anyways :D) if they put Hodgson in charge. He's really not got the tactical ability or football philosophy to get Liverpool how we want to see it.

Well, it's a very traditional English style of play in all honesty. He's a bit more proactive than Sven, but they are both exceptionally similar managers in how they set their teams up. England have been trying to get away from that style of play since Graham Taylor got the job - mainly because it is so limited in application and it only works if you can press heavily, and FIFA have this nasty habit of playing world cups in the middle of high summer in very hot countries... If you are putting the balls so direct, eventually you'll come up against a team which will just not give it back too. Makes for good viewing because it's constant 'action' though.

I'd be careful about singing Woy's praises too much though. He's never managed to get a team playing truly exceptional football - he gets his teams playing a functional and effective form instead. That can be relatively successful, but it does have significant limits - ask Sam Allardyce who I'd rate on the same kind of level. Money probably wouldn't help Woy out too much - it would improve the quality of player he could buy, but I wouldn't expect him to then build a title challenging team with it. But Mancini for Manchester City has made me fear that they're just repeating their own history - start of success and then change the manager...

omg...
no way..very2 dissapointed display for man utd..

well played fulham! manu were **** which made me chuckle!XD berbatov is a total waste of money as is anderson nani all = ****! which really make me happy! thank u fulham:)

First time on the site this weekend, I was at the game, we totally outclassed them. They came at us strong early on and our first goal was a bit soft in regards to them but after that we bossed it and Fergie can have no complaints.

All the Liverpool fans making a huff of this, you're team is in a much worse state so take as much solace from this result as you possibly can because it's looks like top 4 is a bit too much for your team this season unless there is a rapid improvement.

Jack, Anderson was fantastic for Porto, I saw him play a few times and I think people aren't taking into consideration that Anderson is only 21, cut the guy some slack. I don't see what he adds to United's game but he has some nice touches and you can't judge him yet.

I'd just like to say to all the United fans who laughed off Zamora for England so abusively on the thread, who's laughing now? :P

Last edited:
First time on the site this weekend, I was at the game, we totally outclassed them. They came at us strong early on and our first goal was a bit soft in regards to them but after that we bossed it and Fergie can have no complaints.

All the Liverpool fans making a huff of this, you're team is in a much worse state so take as much solace from this result as you possibly can because it's looks like top 4 is a bit too much for your team this season unless there is a rapid improvement.

Jack, Anderson was fantastic for Porto, I saw him play a few times and I think people aren't taking into consideration that Anderson is only 21, cut the guy some slack. I don't see what he adds to United's game but he has some nice touches and you can't judge him yet.

I'd just like to say to all the United fans who laughed off Zamora for England so abusively on the thread, who's laughing now?
:wub:
|) apart from the not seeing what he adds bit, this post is great.^^)

Ohh Anderson played for Porto, my bad, I still don't think he is worth the fee United payed for him, Chris Baird is much better.

baird=defender
anderson=midfielder
anyway a great result for the cottagers, though man u had 2 midfielders in defence

Baird has been playing centre mid, and very well recently.

Back