**** Germany Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Scott
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 93
  • Views Views 6K
I've never been and I'd still say yes its worth saving to go. I intend to go the next time I'm in Poland. Annoyingly I have been within a few miles drive of it but not had the time to swing past.

From what I can remember Hitler rose to power through Propaganda etc. Off the top of my head his hatred of the Jews started when he was rejected from art college. Another reason for his hatred was all around Austria/Germany he seen Jewish people with wealth "living the life" whilst Austrian/German people were poor. He felt this was unfair therefore starting his hatred.

There are a few supposed theories on why Hitler hated the Jewish community so much. As you said the rejection from Art School in Vienna (I believe) was one. Another well believed story was that his mother's doctor was a Jew and failed to save her, therefore he passed the blame onto the religion as a whole.

Though I personally don't believe any elaborate theory, I just think it's pure prejudice that didn't really stem from anything except popular depiction of Jewish people as a whole (Supposed greediness etc.).

I'm constantly fascinated by the entire events that happened in **** Germany, before, during and after the way.
History lessons in our school never covered the topic because of the severity of the happenings of the events. Which is a shame, it probably would've made me want to study it a lot further in college and university.

There are a few supposed theories on why Hitler hated the Jewish community so much. As you said the rejection from Art School in Vienna (I believe) was one. Another well believed story was that his mother's doctor was a Jew and failed to save her, therefore he passed the blame onto the religion as a whole.

Though I personally don't believe any elaborate theory, I just think it's pure prejudice that didn't really stem from anything except popular depiction of Jewish people as a whole (Supposed greediness etc.).

The fact is that Jews have for centuries been a group widely persecuted across all of Europe (Including the UK). Jews can tend to be well off as their religion permits making profit from loaning people money which is forbidden in Christianity and thus there were many of wealthy Jews which made other people jealous of them - hence the stereotype of the greedy Jew.

Hitler may have just been playing on this widespread anti-semitism to use the Jews as a scapegoat for Germany's problems at the time or he may have began the purge as he had some Jewish ancestry and was worried that people would find out so that people would think 'Hitler hates the Jews, he can't possibly be Jewish'.

There was a general dislike of jews all over europe not just Germany this mainly steamed from them being different so being outcasts and because they are blamed for the Death of the Jesus(most of Europe became christian due to the Roman Empire being Christian etc.). Hitler didnt start the hatred of the Jews he just brought it to new levels. The Jews got the blame for anything and everything that was wrong in Europ by most people not just Nazis.

Eg. Black Death

Been to Auschwitz and Dachau. Utterly utterly chilling, the first this you notice at bth places is the lack or animals anywhere near, like they sense the evil that occured there.

Not even ashamed to say Dachau brought a tear to my eye. Its an experience, but a very disturbing one at that

Oh aye, history and **** Germany is a topic that really does interest me. I finished 6th form two years ago, yet today i emailed my old history teacher and asked her if they are still doing auschwitz trips as I'd love to go.

Oh aye, history and **** Germany is a topic that really does interest me. I finished 6th form two years ago, yet today i emailed my old history teacher and asked her if they are still doing auschwitz trips as I'd love to go.
can i go?XD haha i joke man :)

I just couldn't face any sort of trip to Auschwitz or Dachau. Hearing the stories and seeing the footage is enough (and extremely chilling) enough for me. Couldn't go through with it.

As part my history degree which i am studying for at the moment, one of my modules is called Rise of the Nazis 1919 - 1933 and i was just wondering what your views are on Hitlers's rise to power and how do you think he obtained it?
I think Hitler's rise to power was mainly due to the loss of the First World War. The German economy collapsed after that (****, people even burnt money because wood was more expensive) and Hitler promised to make everything all right again. Also, he was lucky the other two main parties didn't form a coalition government, because if they had, they would have won the vote.

I think Hitler's rise to power was mainly due to the loss of the First World War. The German economy collapsed after that (****, people even burnt money because wood was more expensive) and Hitler promised to make everything all right again. Also, he was lucky the other two main parties didn't form a coalition government, because if they had, they would have won the vote.
Hitler formed a coalition with the Center Party to gain the overall majority in the Reichstag.

There are so many people that could have easily stopped Hitler on his rise to Power using Hindsight it is easy for us to say they should have done this and that.

Hitler formed a coalition with the Center Party to gain the overall majority in the Reichstag.

There are so many people that could have easily stopped Hitler on his rise to Power using Hindsight it is easy for us to say they should have done this and that.

Not quite. This was in 1930 and Heinrich Bruning was Chancellor as he was the leader of the Catholic Centre Party. Hitler himself wasnt even a German Citizen until 1932 so couldn't run for public office. This coalition was formed to give the NS party a foothold in German politics.

Hitler didnt come into power until after the 1932 elections. (sworn in Jan 1933). President Von Hindenburg dissolved the Parliament after the Reichstag fire and it was Centre Party affliated Deputy Chancellor Von Pappen that agreed to this all as he though his party could control things due to the **** party lacking the majority in Parliament, low and behold, I think the techincally term is "**** went down" and Hitler assumed full control in 34.

Love how everyone learns about the rise of **** Germany at school.

Just to re-iterate, I'd strongly recommend visiting Dachau, or any other concentration camps. They really emphasise the horror endured by millions in a way that reading books or watching videos never can.

I think its one of those defining times of world history that everyone should be taught about.

Back