Germany v Spain [Semi-Final]

Germany 2-0 Spain
Germany 44%Possession 56% Spain

See, even the forum username "Spain" has a Barcelona badge.

Spain haven't played brilliantly as a team. They've struggled to a 1-0 over 2 mediocre sides, without showing much attacking threat, while Germany defended well against the highest scoring side in the tournament.

Read what I said. Spain play brilliantly as a team, not have played. They haven't been at their best so far but generally they work hard for each other on and off the ball. This is reflected by their outstanding record over the past 3 years.

Its easy to say a side will win based on one or two matches but I recall a match between Holland and Russia in the Euro's where Holland were flying, playing scintillating football and scoring for fun. They ended up getting outplayed by the Russians.

Anything can happen though, that's what's great about football.

I predict Germany to win this, but then again it wouldn't surprise me if Spain came out all guns firiing and destroyed Germany. Therrefore I feel the first goal will be vital.

Read what I said. Spain play brilliantly as a team, not have played. They haven't been at their best so far but generally they work hard for each other on and off the ball. This is reflected by their outstanding record over the past 3 years.

Its easy to say a side will win based on one or two matches but I recall a match between Holland and Russia in the Euro's where Holland were flying, playing scintillating football and scoring for fun. They ended up getting outplayed by the Russians.

Anything can happen though, that's what's great about football.

I can't see Spain getting through the Germany defence. Not talking about 1 or 2 games, but rather their performances and tactics in the whole of this tournament and the, I think Germany win. Maybe Spain play as a team but I don't really see too much of a difference between them and say Argentina.

That Euro 2008 match you speak of was classic Guus Hiddink...

Come on Germany!

Spain will play into Germany's palms. 3-0 Germans

Quick counter attacking football and quick Mueller goal to devastate the Spanish faithful.

Germany 3-1 Spain

Mueller
Villa
Klose x2

I can see the 2 germany holding midfielders doing a good job and Ozil getting the better of Sergio 'peek-a-boo' Busquets

I think this is a much more difficult one to call than people seem to be suggesting (2/3-0 Germany etc.). Although Spain haven't been brilliant, they seem to opitimise the word 'control' (especially in FM terms ;)) And although the Germans have counter attacked brilliantly and with lethal results i don't see Spain getting too frustrated i suppose is the word i'm looking for... They've been patient and got results so far, having said that - they haven't actually played a 'big' team to my recollection (correct me if i'm wrong and no offence to fans of Paraguay and co.) and Switzerland of all teams exposed the HUGE weaknesses in their defence - namely that they can't defend for the most part - Sergio Ramos is effectively a RM and rarely helps out within 40 yards of his own goal line, and Capdevilla hasn't offered much at all, defensively or otherwise for me. The Spanish are masters of keeping the ball, and the Germans seem to be masters of winning it back! Khedira in particular has been outstanding in this aspect of the game, while Shweinsteiger simply does everything. Joachim Loew seems to have created a brilliant atmosphere in the dressing room where they believe they can win every and any game and Klose has been in magnificent form and is so good at taking chances, often because he gets so many of them... Podolski and he love playing together and Ozil brings near perfection to the front 3 as he collects the ball in the hole, exactly where he wants it and either turns and runs, or turns and plays a consistently brilliant pass to Podolski, or Muller (who unfortunately will miss the semi-final.)
Having assessed the two teams, i feel it will be a close affair and the Germans could nick it, having said that, i think if the Germans get one, they could go on and get two or three as they have so often done. Spain can do it, but they need to be at their very best, and Xabi Alonso and Villa, at opposite ends of the pitch will be vital.

If Spain don't improve then Germany will slaughter them with there amazing counter attack, but if Spain put it together then we could be in for a brilliant end to end game

Spain 2 Germany 1

Villa x2

Klose

Last edited: