Getting a Good Bit of Muscle in a Year

Had a quick read of it, quite good. One or two problems though. I don't know where half the muscles you're exercising are, and I have no idea how to do 3/4 of the exercises you suggest. Might be useful giving a quick run through for the embarrassingly amateurish among us!

Most of the exercises are google-able, which I think'll save both of us time :) For correct technique you'd need to go to the gym and talk to people :) Also, I would NEVER start with what I'm doing. I'm doing a quite intensive, time consuming and advanced program. If you want to build upper body strength, just stick slavishly to the press ups program and push yourself! When you start the gym, do the 5x5 programme, as it'll be good for building basic strength.

As for my workout, it's mainly based upon keeping fit for the summer. I run 10km on Monday (due to a large amount of spare time) and then 5ks on Wednesday and Friday. All running is done outside, I hate treadmills. And on Sunday morning I usually head out for a 20 mile cycle as training. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I just do a few push-ups (following the link Chaz posted about going for 100! But still stuck pitifully on 30ish) and some sit-ups. Not a member of a gym and I can't be bothered doing weights so nothing much has improved upper body wise! I'll join one after the summer when I move away for uni though.

I'm the same, I hate treadmills, which is a massive part of why I rarely run any more, as Glasgow's not that good for running, as I prefer dirt tracks. You won't need to do sit-ups anyway, just stick to press ups. You're doing planks while doing press ups, so you don't need sit-ups. And if you've not got much experience with working out, you're likely to be using your back instead of your abdominals if you can do more than 20 sit-ups. :)

Wasting your money there, the creatine is well overpriced and you don't need a special weight gainer, just eat properly. You can get 1kg of creatine for under £15 at myprotein.co.uk (and if you use code MP77457 you get another 5% off).

I've been working out quite a bit recently - I'm in my 6th week of my current schedule. I've been doing full body work outs 3-4 times a week which start with a 30 min run.
After reading though this thread and some of the resources posted I might mix it up a bit and go for less reps and higher weight, since I have been doing basically the same thing since the start, just upping the weight/intensity/time.
I try to keep a balanced diet and avoid junk/fast food ect. and I don't drink or smoke. I have been taking some supplements to help which include a multivitamin, super B complex, and couple of others and some exercise supplement that has a bunch of proteins/creatine in it that I forget the name of.
I have not been taking protein shakes but I'm considering it. What brands should I be looking at and how much should I expect to pay?

I have been mainly focusing of endurance up to this point since I have started playing football again this year, which started 2 weeks ago (won 1 lost 1 ;)). But I want to bulk up a bit more now since I'm in pretty good shape. I might give this 5x5 thing a go. I will have to buy a barbell first though since ATM I just have a set of dumbbells and a German made exercise machine that does a lot of different stuff (I know they are apparently bad ;)). I don't particularly want to buy a gym membership since they are kind of expensive.

I've been working out quite a bit recently - I'm in my 6th week of my current schedule. I've been doing full body work outs 3-4 times a week which start with a 30 min run.
After reading though this thread and some of the resources posted I might mix it up a bit and go for less reps and higher weight, since I have been doing basically the same thing since the start, just upping the weight/intensity/time.
I try to keep a balanced diet and avoid junk/fast food ect. and I don't drink or smoke. I have been taking some supplements to help which include a multivitamin, super B complex, and couple of others and some exercise supplement that has a bunch of proteins/creatine in it that I forget the name of.
I have not been taking protein shakes but I'm considering it. What brands should I be looking at and how much should I expect to pay?

I have been mainly focusing of endurance up to this point since I have started playing football again this year, which started 2 weeks ago (won 1 lost 1 ;)). But I want to bulk up a bit more now since I'm in pretty good shape. I might give this 5x5 thing a go. I will have to buy a barbell first though since ATM I just have a set of dumbbells and a German made exercise machine that does a lot of different stuff (I know they are apparently bad ;)). I don't particularly want to buy a gym membership since they are kind of expensive.

100pushups.info

;p

Gyms are cheaper in the long and short run. A good Olympic barbell costs 300£.

Just go Rocky 4 style and chop wood, run up mountains and lift your family up in a chariot thing....

100pushups.info

;p

Gyms are cheaper in the long and short run. A good Olympic barbell costs 300£.

Plus at least £1/kg of plates, power rack, bench etc. A few years ago I was suckered into buying a 1" bar with around 70kg of cement filled 1" vinyl weights and a bench. Although the bench is good, 1" bars are terrible (bends at around 50kg), and the plates take up too much room on said bar.

Just got them supplements in the door today, going to try them out and see if they help in anyway as I'm just not able to eat like a pig really and if I was I would have to waste money on buying all the food myself so hopefully the weight gainer will help , It has won weight gainer of the year 3 years in a row, Also heard great things about Cretine so hoping for the best with that.

Lots of things posted so far and most probebly coverd it already , if you want to get bigger theres no fast track option realy except steriods and the cons outweigh the pro`s for anabolics.

In order to build more muscle tissue each time you train you need to be lifting more and more each time , so you are continualy tearing muscle fibre , it heals..the muscle gets bigger sounds simple?, well it is realy but it takes time, and there is always a block you reach were youre body will simply develop no more ,its different for all of us but a good diet and the right supplements can help hugely.

At the moment when i train i do the following

3 sets of reps 1 at 10 reps then 8 then 6 each time putting on more weight so for example for bench pressing start with 20kg per side then 25 then 30

Then no more than 20-30 mins for cardio

Mon-chest workout

Level bench press,incline bench press,decline bench press,push ups,dumbell press,dumbell fly`s,inclined fly`s,pec deck and cable crossovers :)

Tues leggs

squats,leg press,leg extensions lower and upper,donkey calf raises

Weds Shoulders

Back press,front press,seated dumbell press,arnold press,lateral raises,front arm raise,upright rows,lat raise machine

Thurs Back

Lat pull downs,straight arm pull downs,seated rows,1 arm dumbell rows,deadlifts,upright rows,shruggs

Friday arms

Curls,concentration curls,hammer curls,barbell curls,preacher curls,wrist curls,push downs and pull downs,1 arm dumbell raise,tricep kickback,tricep dips.

Ofc im not saying everyone should do the same as me , im fortunate to have 2 hours per day to train and enough cash for expensive supplements if i skip any day from my workout its fridays, this is because youre arms train small amout with the rest of weeks workout for example any pushing routine ie- chest trains the tricep also , and any pulling ie- back trains the bicep so youre arms get the most workout if you dedicate a day to them too.

For supplements i use usn 100% whey protien 3 times a day no-xplode creatine,glutamine and glucosamine sulphate, as for my diet i watch what i eat most of the time eating a junk food meal 2 times a week( im only human) opting for high protien foods mostly , scrambled egg whites are my favourite and it goes down at any time fo the day :), sultana bran with a protien shake for brekki about 30 mins before i go to the gymn helps me with energy for training.

If i could recomend a good book for starting out it would be the truth by Frank sepe or strength training anatomy by frederic delavier.

If i could recomend a good book for starting out it would be the truth by Frank sepe or strength training anatomy by frederic delavier.

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It's amazing!

I don't really have much photos in the way of posing, but you can make out some pretty good shoulders and arms on this one.

I recieved a 16 kg kettleball yesterday so going to start a routine with that in soon :)

Bump.

Hi guys, i am 15 roughly around 5ft 10 ? and weigh around 11 stone. I want to build up my muscles mainly, so any ideas ? I normally do 3 reps of 20 and do about 50 sit ups and 25/30 press ups already.

Oh and i am most likely going to order some new weights :)

Bump.

Hi guys, i am 15 roughly around 5ft 10 ? and weigh around 11 stone. I want to build up my muscles mainly, so any ideas ? I normally do 3 reps of 20 and do about 50 sit ups and 25/30 press ups already.

Oh and i am most likely going to order some new weights :)

Get a gym membership, but I'm not sure if you can if you're 15. Otherwise, do calisthenics. There's a reason you shouldn't do weights (especially heavy ones) until your 16. 100 pushups training is your friend to build up core strength, which is what you need right now. Once you've got proper core strength (and I hope you've done sports your whole life), it gives you a much better platform to build muscle.

Get a gym membership, but I'm not sure if you can if you're 15. Otherwise, do calisthenics. There's a reason you shouldn't do weights (especially heavy ones) until your 16. 100 pushups training is your friend to build up core strength, which is what you need right now. Once you've got proper core strength (and I hope you've done sports your whole life), it gives you a much better platform to build muscle.

Can you do 100 mate?

Can you do 100 mate?

I've been up at 80 a lot, but I can't follow the program completely due to the rest of my work out routine. However, my brother did it and he ended up with a six-pack after a few months and looked absolutely fantastic, so I know it works. I've been something like 3 weeks away from actually doing 100.

I've been up at 80 a lot, but I can't follow the program completely due to the rest of my work out routine. However, my brother did it and he ended up with a six-pack after a few months and looked absolutely fantastic, so I know it works. I've been something like 3 weeks away from actually doing 100.
I can do around 70-75 max, been doing that 100 pushup training for 6-7 weeks now <)
It's suprising how quickly you can build up your core strength and endurance by doing somthing so simple.

Used to play a lot of rugby up untill a few months ago which was a nice start, gained a fair amount of weight for playing which i'm working on losing now.

Last edited:
I could probavly do 100.

Stretched out over 9 days mind, not in one go.......

but the thing is here is youre brother pretty lean? its very easy for abbs to show and look good on skinny people...its like fat birds with big **** it doesnt count.

Personaly im about 15 pounds over what i want(my body weight is 185 lbs) and i can see my abbs but only the top 4, i do abbs 2 times per week to build up core strength, without cutting and carb starving im probebly never going to see those bottom muscles,but im a month into building at the moment so i dont have room to introduce cutting routines, maybe in a few months il slim down and burn off some exxcess body fat,till them ima keep lifting and eating.

Are you expecting to get a good job, because that tattoo wouldn't exactly help you.