Getting a Good Bit of Muscle in a Year

Egg whites and brocoli for breakfast? Ergh. Just have a slice of wholegrain toast and a couple of scrambled eggs on top.

Most of it looks alright. Would get boring really fast though. Might be a bit low on cals if your looking to bulk up too, I've only glanced over, but seeing how is a 6 pack diet then im thinking the idea is to 'cut' which means cut your body fat down to show your abdominal muscles. If your looking to gain mass, I'd look else where for a diet

Last edited:
Egg whites and brocoli for breakfast? Ergh. Just have a slice of wholegrain toast and a couple of scrambled eggs on top.

Most of it looks alright. Would get boring really fast though. Might be a bit low on cals if your looking to bulk up too, I've only glanced over, but seeing how is a 6 pack diet then im thinking the idea is to 'cut' which means cut your body fat down to show your abdominal muscles. If your looking to gain mass, I'd look else where for a diet

Ye that doesn't look the best wouldn't mind the oatmeal and 2 boiled eggs though, How about even following that diet but just eating more of it as to bulk up?

I started trying to gain weight just before christmas and bought a 20kg kettleweight which has really helped me bulk up, went on internet and looked up the right technique for lifts, swings and throws etc and then went into garden and nailed it to **** for a few hours and its became a daily routine for me...good if having a bad day too ;)

Good luck with the tattoo, the GOMAD milk diet is the one to use as said above i've put on a fair bit of weight since trying (and cutting out booze)

Thanks very much alot of effort into that post looking into all them work-out's now so I learn how to do them, In terms of alcohol being from Dublin and being quite young I do find myself out alot at the weekends but last week I only drank once a week and I'm going to try and continue that, For the sugar my dad works in Cadbury's so the temptation is always their for chocolate so what is it that I can have say 2 bar's a week ? In terms of fatty food the canteen in my job makes alot of fatty foods so I think I'm going to bring in my own lunchs from now on to counter that, for the Creatine I'm going to buy it in the next week or 2 as I have already bought gym membership and protein shake. Also this was posted on the other page and I had a look and the diet looks very easy to follow and goes you 5 Sample Menu's can you have a quick glance over it and tell us if I should follow it.

http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com/articles/eating.html

For alcohol I would encourage you to drink only small amounts. I still go out, but I stop after 2 beers or so and just drink water. On drinking, stay away from soft drinks, such as coke. A single bottle of coke contains 900kcal, aka 1/3 of your RDA! And that's ONE 0.5L bottle!

2 bars a week should be fine, it's just a guideline :)

The diet looks good, I used to have raw egg whites for breakfast! I don't think dieting is necessary, just eat healthy and eat loads! :)

Food for thought (no pun intended) - humans only got refined sugar in the industrial age. Now our teeth are worse than they were in the Stone Age! Kinda tells you we shouldn't have refined sugar at all!

Id lay off the Budwiser mate if your serious to gain muscle. ;)
As mentioned above lower number of reps with heavier weights help for muscle development.
What do you currently bench?

Id lay off the Budwiser mate if your serious to gain muscle. ;)
As mentioned above lower number of reps with heavier weights help for muscle development.
What do you currently bench?

To an extent, but not strictly true. The magic number seems to be around 6-10 reps, with pyramid training for increasing your max.

Well after looking through everything I have decided to go with 3 programmes, in the gym I plan on doing the 5x5 programme after reading that PDF document that Cal sent me so thanks for that Cal, it seems perfect for me as a begennier, I'm also doing the 100 push up programme and the get perfect abs programme also recommended on this thread so thanks for that also, Today I had 2 egg's and a porridge for breakfast, then had milk and yogurt for small lunch and going to have for lunch later some chicken and turkey with pasta or potatoes and then after my work out plan on having protein shake, then have a dinner of chicken potatoes and peas, then for later on in the day can of tuna and a protein shake before bed, also plan on going Tesco tomorrow to stock up on food for my dinner as I will need to have different dinners to most people in my family.

Good luck with it mate. I started the gym about 8 months ago because I just ballooned up with being unemployed and drinking far too much. I go every night at like 9 so all the equipment is available, lost 2 stone just from bashing the gym, a mix of cardio and weights but I didn't stick to the strict regime of eating properly or sleeping properly, but I'm happy with my general fitness atm, gonna move on to building up my muscle properly before the summer though as I'm going away haha.

Just stick with it!

Good luck with it mate. I started the gym about 8 months ago because I just ballooned up with being unemployed and drinking far too much. I go every night at like 9 so all the equipment is available, lost 2 stone just from bashing the gym, a mix of cardio and weights but I didn't stick to the strict regime of eating properly or sleeping properly, but I'm happy with my general fitness atm, gonna move on to building up my muscle properly before the summer though as I'm going away haha.

Just stick with it!

Thanks mate when I was unemployed for a few months last year I was going the gym alot but like yourself I was drinking way to much and doing noting all day so I wasn't putting on weight but felt very unhealthy and unfit but when I went the gym I was mainly doing cardio with the odd weight machine, I would recommend you have a look at the 5x5 system posted by Cal on page 2 of this thread it looks like a very good and managable program only requiring you to go the gym 3 times a week. All the best for you to mate.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:01 PM ----------

Ok so I'm going to the supermarket today for food can someone give us a small list of things to get for someone trying to build muscle.

Also since I have to eat so many calories is their anyway ya can do it without eating fat and greasy food?

Thanks mate when I was unemployed for a few months last year I was going the gym alot but like yourself I was drinking way to much and doing noting all day so I wasn't putting on weight but felt very unhealthy and unfit but when I went the gym I was mainly doing cardio with the odd weight machine, I would recommend you have a look at the 5x5 system posted by Cal on page 2 of this thread it looks like a very good and managable program only requiring you to go the gym 3 times a week. All the best for you to mate.

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:01 PM ----------[/COLOR]

Ok so I'm going to the supermarket today for food can someone give us a small list of things to get for someone trying to build muscle.

Also since I have to eat so many calories is their anyway ya can do it without eating fat and greasy food?[/QUOTE]

Tuna/Sardines, Chicken, Nuts (unsalted), Beef Jerky/Biltong, Cottage Cheese, Oatcakes (to put cottage cheese etc on) ummmmmmmmm...

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:01 PM ----------[/COLOR]

Also since I have to eat so many calories is their anyway ya can do it without eating fat and greasy food?[/QUOTE]

Tuna/Sardines, Chicken, Nuts (unsalted), Beef Jerky/Biltong, Cottage Cheese, Oatcakes (to put cottage cheese etc on) ummmmmmmmm...

Thanks mate never had Sardines or Biltong before are they nice? How about Salmon to it that good to eat? Also is cottage cheese a bit like chedder cheese?

Thanks mate never had Sardines or Biltong before are they nice? How about Salmon to it that good to eat? Also is cottage cheese a bit like chedder cheese?

Biltong is a south american beef jerky, can get it in Tesco (usually in the booze isle haha)

Sardines I dont actually like, but alot of people do, can get them in sunflower oil or a tomato sauce.

Cottage cheese comes in tubs, its hard to explain. Doesnt taste of alot, I grate a bit of strong cheddar in to give some flavour and then chuck it on a ryvita as a snack. Cottage cheese releases its protein slowly, so its good to have as a snack before bed as it will feed your muscles as you sleep. Or so they say ^^)

Biltong is a south american beef jerky, can get it in Tesco (usually in the booze isle haha)

Sardines I dont actually like, but alot of people do, can get them in sunflower oil or a tomato sauce.

Cottage cheese comes in tubs, its hard to explain. Doesnt taste of alot, I grate a bit of strong cheddar in to give some flavour and then chuck it on a ryvita as a snack. Cottage cheese releases its protein slowly, so its good to have as a snack before bed as it will feed your muscles as you sleep. Or so they say ^^)

Ok cool never had Beef Jerky I didn't even know they sold it hear thought they only sold it in America.

So maybe get some crackers and put the cottage cheese on that to give it a bit of taste.

Thanks for the advice.

Man, I looked, thinking there would be pictures of your buff bod, only to be disappointed. lame.

Hahha, okay, the girl that was over to take my picture today only ended giving me a massage, but she said she'd be back.

The Mythical Art of Lifting Stuff: First update!

Just started a blog on my work out routines, how're you getting along?

Had a quick read of it, quite good. One or two problems though. I don't know where half the muscles you're exercising are, and I have no idea how to do 3/4 of the exercises you suggest. Might be useful giving a quick run through for the embarrassingly amateurish among us!

As for my workout, it's mainly based upon keeping fit for the summer. I run 10km on Monday (due to a large amount of spare time) and then 5ks on Wednesday and Friday. All running is done outside, I hate treadmills. And on Sunday morning I usually head out for a 20 mile cycle as training. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I just do a few push-ups (following the link Chaz posted about going for 100! But still stuck pitifully on 30ish) and some sit-ups. Not a member of a gym and I can't be bothered doing weights so nothing much has improved upper body wise! I'll join one after the summer when I move away for uni though.