Girl Power! Arsenal appoint first female manager in the Premier League

Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS! ARSENAL SET TO MAKE SENSATIONAL APPOINTMENT TO REPLACE ARSENE WENGER!

Rumours are flying that England Women's Coach Hope Powell has been appointed to succeed Arsene Wenger as manager of Arsenal F.C. . If true, Powell would make history by becoming the first Premier League Female Manager.

Many fans were disgusted at the news, with one saying, "The players won't listen to her! If I was Robin Van Persie I wouldn't be listening to some WOMAN telling me what to do! Terrible!"

However, others were quick to point out that appointing a female manager could introduce a new fanbase into football and this could bring great long term benefits for the club.

An annoucement is expected shortly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story will be a lot more personal than any of my previous, it will focus on the personal side of Club Management as well as the stuff on the pitch.

A lot will be from Powell's point of view, but also from the point of view of the media and the players.

For example, some players will be very objective to the new manager, and we'll get to see the story from their point of view.

I'm not a female myself but I've always found it fascinating to write from the perspective of someone different to me. This story, I hope, will be very entertaining for you guys, and I appreciate all feedback, positive and negative.

This could be interesting as well as hilarious! I'm liking it so far.

Hope

Wow. Just off the phone with Gazidis and Hill-Wood. Couldn't believe they'd actually considered me as a replacement to Arsene Wenger. I was having second thoughts about accepting the job, as maybe... the players wouldn't accept me... but then I realised that, if I could build a winning team, it would say a lot about how much potential women have in this male-dominated sport.

I accepted straight away. Leaving England will be hard, but I think that it's time for a new adventure. I've always admired the way Arsenal play... but there's something missing at the moment, someone in midfield. Mental note: That must be fixed. Marek Hamsik seems ideal... and of course, signing a new contract with Robin Van Persie.

Oh, I'm looking forward to this. Watch out Arsenal, Hope Powell is coming to teach you a lesson in football.

Andrey

Couldn't believe it. They're actually appointing her. 5 year deal and everything. I was unsure about my future with the club before, but now? I'm on the first flight back to Zenit once I can get out of here.

Jack and Theo took a different view. They were all for giving her a chance. "Come on guys," I replied, "She can't possibly know enough about football. I mean it's not even that's she's a woman. She doesn't have the experience."

Jack sounded offended when he said, "She managed England, didn't She?"

When I muttered, "Yeah, the England Women," Theo jumped to his defence, saying, "So it is about her not being a bloke, isn't it?"

I have so few friends around here now. I'm aware that I'm not playing as well as I was two years ago, but that's not my fault, is it? Should have bought me when my legs still worked properly. Still, sometimes it feels that it's not only the fans against me, but the world. Gotta find a way to change that...
Frimpong

Well, this certainly shakes things up, doesn't it?

Devestated to see Arsene go. Top, top tactician, and a great man too, but I suppose when your national team come calling, it's hard to resist, isn't it?

When I heard that Hope Powell was taking over Arsenal, I thought they meant the ladies team, but no, this morning I see Hope walking straight through the Emirates and talking to the media! Wow, be interesting to see how things change now, won't it?

Coq and me are hopeful about our chances in the first team now. One of the first things Powell said was "The Midfield needs a shake up" and she's known for playing a 4-2-1-3... so as long as Alex Song doesn't get in the way we could both be lining up alongside each other. Be hard to get in front of Alex though. He's so under-rated by the media, but I suppose that's what you get when your name isn't Wayne Rooney.

No doubt Piers will have something to say about all this. Be a laugh on Twitter tonight, won't it? Better keep banter to just that though, eh? He has a strange reputation for being a *****...

P.S. Andrey looks really depressed about something. Might ask him tomorrow, normally he's one of the ones who's laughing loudest.

Pundits Voice their Views

0,,10794~5248146,00.jpg

Welcome to 5 Live Sport!

Logan: I'm Gabby Logan and joining me tonight are Mark Lawrenson and Lee Dixon, and today, we are going to discuss Arsenal's new manager Hope Powell. Now, Mark, the obvious difference about this manager is obvious, her gender. Do you think this will have an impact on the way that she communicates with the players to that of a male manager.

Lawrenson: Clearly, it's going to affect it in some way. Old habits die hard, and there may be one or two in that dressing room that are thinking, "I'm not having this, this is a joke!" and the last thing you want at a club like Arsenal who are already trying to rebuild their squad is a dressing room split. I think it will be a challenge for Powell, but looking at her track record, I think she has the strength to overcome this.

Logan: So this will affect the players in some way, right?

Dixon: Absolutely. I know some of the players who are at the club now, and I think that they'll handle this very well, but will all of them take it this way? And let's not forget the most important part of the club: The fans. How will they handle this? If results go bad, they won't put any trust in her to turn things around. If results go well, they might say, "Well, that's because of the great players our squad has!". It will be very hard to win these fans over.

Lawrenson: Unless, of course, she wins a trophy.

Dixon: There is that. I'm not saying the fans would see her as better than Wenger at that point, but it would be a big boost to her and the club as a whole, seeing that she could have the capabilities to manage a top level side.

Logan: Finally, what are your predictions for Powell's tenure at Arsenal.

Lawrenson: I think she'll be gone rather quickly, to be honest.

Logan: Why is that?

Lawrenson: The squad is not as good as the fans percieve it to be. She needs to spend big, but will she risk changing the squad when it's already going to be broken because of the departures of Fabregas and Nasri, the injury to Jack Wilshere, and of course, the gender issue?

Logan: Interesting points. What about you, Lee?

Dixon: She'll do well. I've seen her style as she managed England Women, and I think there's something about her that means she'll have a trick or two up her sleeve. This will certainly be interesting to watch.

Logan: Thank you, guys.

Dixon and Lawrenson: No Problem, it's a pleasure.

Logan: We'll be back after the news and travel bulletin, where I'll be discussing Liverpool's prospects with Alan Hansen, who believes they can win the title this season...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Szczesny

Fifa 12 better have me better than this. I'm playing Fifa 11 right now and Aaron destroys me every time. He cannot understand why I put myself in goal, despite my rating being 69. I tell him, "Almunia may be 77 but I'm better than him." He cannot understand why I am confused when he picks Fabregas ahead of himself. Doesn't he realise how lucky we are to be in a game in the first place. I'm loading my playstation and they made me on Fifa! Wow, this is so surreal. I treasure this fact more than my Valdes shirt, which was Valdes' actual shirt, got it in THAT 2-1 GAME! Awesome, right?

Feel sorry for Aaron. He wanted to make the breakthrough this season, but now Mikel's signed... nothing against the guy, but he's no Cesc.

Talking about this season, I heard that Hope Powell is thinking of signing a new goalkeeper to 'cover for me'. Tricky. If it's someone like Stekelenburg or Neuer I'm f***ed, they're gonna be better than me because they're older and not a little 21 year old, and I'll be in the reserves every week, or loaned out to another League one club. Don't want that again.

Aaron grabs another coke (Which reminds me, will Powell let us drink again? Better be on the safe side...) and says, "One more time, ok! I'll still win whatever happens though, I'll go easy on you this time!"

****. Wait till he finds out that I might have made the batteries in his controller a little undercharged...
^^)

Pundits Predict Top Four!

champions-league-logo.jpg

Shearer:

1. Man City
2. Man Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Liverpool

These teams have made some great signings, I think City will just edge it though simply because of their wide array of talent. Liverpool should narrowly secure fourth ahead Arsenal, I think.

Lawrenson:

1. Man Utd
2. Liverpool
3. Man City
4. Arsenal

Ferguson's got the experience - He's done it time and time again. Liverpool will push them close, Charlie Adam could be a great signing. City will be better than last season but I fear will have a few issues with Squad Balance. Arsenal will be there or thereabouts.

Hansen:

1. Liverpool
2. Arsenal
3. Man City
4. Man Utd

United will struggle without that world-class midfielder, unless the sign him quickly, which I fear won't happen. Liverpool should win the league, Dalglish has got them going places! Arsenal will spend big, and I really rate Powell. City, also, will do well with players like Aguero and Balotelli.

Powell Unveils Plans for New Season!

_46587620_hope_powell.jpg

"Creating a Successful team is not as simple as signing a few players and hoping all goes well. What really matters is the balance of the Squad, and so while I am looking to bring in new signings, I will not sign anyone who I think plays in a position we already have strength in, simply because the fans want to spend money.

"I like playing 4-2-1-3. 2 pacey wingers up front, which this club is full of, supporting the forward. Two holding midfielders backing up a central midfield maestro, and of course the steel of our team, the back four.

"As for new signings, we will have to wait and see. But I believe the squad we have at the moment is very capable and full of a lot of talent."

Hope

Stupid Press moaning on about the gender issue. I'd rather put that all behind me. Is it too much to ask to not have to answer questions from journalists who pretend to give a ****, but never do, and just care more about getting that front page story?

And if the players have any issues... well, there's one way around that. Let's a few of the staff, shall we?

Andrey

Powell is apparently interested in bringing in Mario Gotze. If this is true, it's pretty much the end for me at the club. A shame, though to be honest, I can't wait to leave. I can't take any orders from her. It doesn't feel right.

This place is a dump anyway. No atmosphere. Would it kill the fans to sing for once? They think all the stick they give us doesn't hurt, but it really does.

Goodbye England. I'm handing in the transfer request tomorrow, but I'd rather this was kept quiet...

Theo

Andrey just text us saying he wants to leave. He never said why, but I know. I don't know how they treat women in Russia, but I wouldn't want to be one. Terrible.

This might be great news for Alex though. In Powell's forward three, I'd assume it would now be me, Robin and Gervy, so he MIGHT get a spot on the bench in a few games, and maybe even a few starts, now that Ryo's gone on loan.

Looking forward to this season.
Robin

Mutiny is something that a captain has to handle. I don't want Andrey to leave, but if he's going to be this childish about the fact that a woman is in charge...

Last season, under Wenger, the real boss of the team was Cesc. Not suprising to see that once he left we completely capitulated. This season, I was more than happy for it to be me. But this Powell seems to be a stronger leader. Maybe the team will actually listen to her now. This can be good.

Just got a call from Cesc. He wants me to hand in a transfer request and join him in Spain.

I'll give it a year to decide whether to follow him.

Hope and Andrey have a meeting

Hope: Hello, Andrey. Please sit down, this is something important.

*Andrey takes a chair, straightens out his suit before sitting down*

Hope: Now, I understand that you've handed in a transfer request, and I've called you hear to tell you that I've accepted it. You'll be leaving for Malaga tomorrow, provided you can agree terms.

*Andrey looks stunned*

Andrey: But... I wanted to move to Russia, to be with my family...

Hope: Don't talk ****. We both know the real reason for you handing in a transfer request. Fine by me, I don't need you anyway. You're 30 now, and for a winger you're practically a pensioner. It's not your choice what club you go to, you either go to Malaga or you can play in the reserves for the next 3 years until your contract expires. Your choice.

Andrey: Fine.

*Andrey had clearly expected a better reaction. He walks out without saying a word to Powell*

Hope: I think that went rather well.

*Hope begins to write an email*

Hope: Pat, Andrey's gonna go. Sort out the Muniain Transfer as quick as you can, the fans need something to cheer them up.

*Hope sends it, 5 minutes later a reply comes through*

Pat Rice: Excellent news! Muniain looks like he could be the real deal. Oh, and by the way, regarding the midfielder, I think we need to have a discussion in person on it, because I have some thoughts on this that might be need to be seen in a meeting with the other staff.

THE FUTURE OF ARSENAL!

Frimpong

Hope's called me and Francis for a meeting in 10 minutes. Coq thinks she's selling us. I have to agree. With Goetze soon joining and Hamsik apparently on his way, I doubt we're going to be that high on the priority list. Ah well, hopefully we'll get loans and come back here next season.

Hope

coquelin.jpg
26414_186x236.jpg
"Hi Guys. Have a seat over there, we have much to discuss."Frimpong and Coquelin sit down.

The atmosphere is much warmer than when Arshavin was here last.

"Now, when I look at you two," Hope began, "I see two players who want to be the midfield duo at our club. And yet, are you good enough to immediately step up to the plate? In my formation, Song will of course start, but there is a place for one of you to partner him in my first team. But who will it be?

"Frimpong and Coquelin's emotions are running wild. As Hope began speaking they looked elated, but now they are both looking very nervous.

"Boss," said Frimpong, and Hope's face looked instantly proud when being addressed like this from a squad the media said would 'never accept a female coach', she thought, "Does this mean you're not going to sign anyone in central midfield?" "Probably not," replied Hope. "You see, there is only one place for that particular position here, and we have Mikel, Jack and Aaron. I will rotate between two defensive midfielders and one, but there is already enough competition as it is."

Coquelin looked thoughtful. "So you're saying there's a place for me in the first time this season?" Hope laughed and said, "Either you or Emmanuel. You'll have to fight for it! Right boys, let's get to the training ground, we need to work on defending from set-pieces today, something which your previous manager," She gestured to the portrait of Arsene Wenger in her office, amongst the pictures of other Arsenal Managers, "Seemed to always neglect."Coquelin and Frimpong both said, "Thanks boss!" and walked out.

Hope thought to herself, "One more week until the season starts. Boy, is this going to be good..."

Last edited:
bbcsport copy.jpg

Arsenal Announce Big-Name Signings!

Iker Muniain and Ibrahim Affelay were unveiled today as Hope Powell's two first signings as Arsenal Manager. With the departure of Andrey Arshavin set to be confirmed imminently, and the rumoured signing of Mario Gotze apparently close to being completed, Powell has certainly been busy.

Muniain arrives as a direct replacement for Arshavin, joining for £20m on a Five-Year deal. Affelay arrives on a season long loan for £400,000 but it is unclear where he will play, with Powell only recently announcing that the side were 'Stronger than first anticipated' in Midfield.

Coquelin​

Frimmy's just as confused as me. Powell talked about how no more midfielders would be signed, and then signs Affelay. Unless he plays on the wing, but we have decent wingers anyway.

With Yossi, Mikel, Aaron, Alex AND Jack when he gets back in front of us, I don't see how we'll get any game time. But I'm hopeful for the future when Yossi and Affelay leave.

Amazing story. Love the layout! Try signing a some defender such as jay
(ajax) or rakyitskiy ( schakter donesk).

Amazing story. Love the layout! Try signing a some defender such as jay
(ajax) or rakyitskiy ( schakter donesk).

Thanks for this and all the other comments guys, really nice to hear that you're liking it so far.

Arshavin's gone to City 0_0 but I've got Gotze which is good.

Very nice story and very fun, I love it. I think I found this year's favourite along TheSupremeNTM's

It's one of the possible stories I had in the cards to make until going for something different. Glad I did because this achieves the goals and is without a doubt much better than what I would have come with. :D

How much did u pay for gotze and how many mids have u now got?

Very nice story and very fun, I love it. I think I found this year's favourite along TheSupremeNTM's

It's one of the possible stories I had in the cards to make until going for something different. Glad I did because this achieves the goals and is without a doubt much better than what I would have come with. :D

How much did u pay for gotze and how many mids have u now got?

Terrific story, pure genius

Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the comments that people give me!

Goetze cost a lot, £47m to be precise, but I think he's worth every penny, especially as I'll make up most of it with the sales of Arshavin, Chamakh and one other player that I haven't decided yet...

I do have a lot of midfielders. I might terminate the Yossi loan as I don't really need him, though I suppose there's no harm in keeping him. Also thinking of selling Frimpong as last resort, Diaby has to go, though, trying to offload him will be hard with his injuries...

Backroom meeting - 1 week until start of season

boardroom.jpg

Today, Arsenal's staff are holding a meeting. Top of the agenda is deciding what midfielder will be signed by the club, as well as the future of existing players.

*10 minutes later*

Hope addressed the room. "Hello guys, there are two things we need to discuss today, the first being the midfield issue at our club. Anything to say, Pat?

Pat took out his laptop from under the table and showed a video to the staff. "Mario Goetze," he began, "Should be our number one target. Not only could he develop into one of the finest attacking players this club has ever seen, but he could also, with the right training, fill the hole left by Fabregas."

Hope replied "Interesting. But what about positions not down the centre? Can he play on the wings, because as you guys know, I want to build our midfield around Frimpong and Coquelin behind a rotating duo of Wilshere and Ramsey?"

Pat confirmed this. "Yes, I would say his best position is on the left wing, but when he has played as a central midfielder he has looked equally sublime."

Hope, "I think he should be our target then. Any other suggestions before we launch a bid?"

Scout and former Arsenal player Giles Grimandi spoke up, "I think that we should be considering Eden Hazard instead. I think Hazard is more experienced and this will be good for us, and also Hazard is better in the middle of the park."

"And yet," countered Pat, "I don't think that he is the right man for us. He seems arrogant and is constantly wanting Real and Barcelona to bid for him, and frankly, I've had enough of people using our club as a stepping stone to go to f*king Spain."

There was a chorus of "Hear Hear!" from many of the staff, and Hope said, "Well that settles it then! Pat, talk to Gazidis about the transfer. He promised me one mega-million signing, well this is the man!. Onto our next round of business. If you would , please, Franco.

New staff member Franco Baldini got up from his desk and turned on the projector overlooking the room. A powerpoint appeared with the title 'Player Sales'.

"Now," started Baldini. "Malaga have withdrawn their offer for Arshavin, however, Manchester City have this morning tabled a £14m bad. Whilst he is a key player, I think Muniain, (And Goetze if we get him), both have the potential to far exceed his ability. But should we accept the offer from our rivals?"

Hope thought, "This guy knows his stuff. I think I've found my new assistant manager for the next season, once Pat has retired!"

"Well," began Boro Primorac, "I think that if we want to secure Gotze, then we must sell Arshavin. He's 30, don't forget, we can afford to let him go."

"Agreed," replied Hope. "Onto the other player we want to sell, Franco..."

Franco pressed the button on the remote and Tomas Rosicky came on the screen.

"I think it's for the best," said Primorac. "Shame, I liked him when he came here, but Injuries have prevented a potentially epic career."

Hope finally said, "Any other business".

Only one hand was raised, it belonged to Christian Karembeu.

"Yes. I think we need to take a closer look at Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Could be a great defender for us one day, from what I've seen so far."

Hope responded, "Ok, Christian, take a couple of other scouts with you to watch him for a week, then I'll decide if we make a bid or not. That concludes this meeting."

Hope

Oh ****! Forgot to talk about a goalkeeper. I think Szczesny needs a season on loan. Maybe time to do this piece of research myself.

Targets:

Morgan de Sanctis
Jerzy Dudek
Samir Handanovic
Andreas Iskasson
Carlos Kameni

Hope

Champions League Qualifying round Draw today. The only woman I can see her are the ones that are serving me wine. That's all about to change after I'm given a season in charge.

Ooh, I love this song.

[video=youtube;7BluigblcgE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BluigblcgE[/video]

Ok, we're seeded so we should avoid the big teams. I've got to act calm despite the fact that Pep Guardiola is sitting next to me, waiting to collect his award for Manager of the year, no doubt. You know, I would say ANYONE could have won the Champions League with that squad.

Pat seems nervous as well, but for different reasons. Udinese will be the hardest team by far, though Rubin could pose some problems, as could Kyiv. Panithiakos and Standard would be good draws in my opinion.

Let's see what happens.

*2 minutes later*

"And Arsenal," says the announcer, "Will play Dinamo Kyiv, with the first leg being at home for the Gunners."

That's OK. Would have preferred the second long to be at home though. Kyiv will be a tough side at their ground.