Giving Les Lionceaux Its Roar - An FC Sochaux-Montbe Story

Good to hear guys!

You know how us writers are like, we love praise, please feel free to comment, even if you don't have hundreds of things to say!

Any improvements you would like to see?

FC_Sochaux-Montbéliard_logo.png

The October
Review

“This will be a month of a mixed bag. 4 League games, one in Belgium against Anderlecht, and the start to our Coupe de la Ligue campaign are all in this month, including a small international break, should be a good one.”

----------

TRANSFER RUMOUR

leonardo-psg.jpg

Paris St-Germain to bid for Martin

PSG general manager Leonardo has declared their interest in French international Marvin Martin.

Martin is currently at second placed FC Sochaux-Montbe, but the captail club believe they could tempt him away with a €5m bid.

Leonardo said: “He is a very good player, and we would love to add him to our squad.”

After the news, FC Sochaux-Motbe manager Nathan Staples told us his feelings on the matter.

He said: “5 million euro’s wouldn’t get Leonardo a baguette from my club. He should stop talking about our players and concentrate on getting paid for sitting on his ****. And stop winking, you look like such a paedophile.”

The FFF decided to take no action against Staples' comments.

“Good decision FFF. Did he expect much else? The only way Martin is leaving this club is if they put in an offer that would be sufficient to purchase a replacement and 2 more players. Around €40m. He’s that important to the club.”

----------

Ligue 1 – Matchday 9
FC Sochaux-Montbe 0 – 1 Toulouse FC

View attachment 215026

“Hugely disappointing result in a game we really should be winning. Attacking movement was too conservative, and neither Maiga nor his replacement Bakambu could get themselves involved in the game.

The referee was very much on their side too, but we shall rest up during the international break now, put this result behind us and move on.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 10

Valenciennes FC 2 – 1 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215027

“We may have lost in the last minute, but we deserved to. Another really poor result, and some players are just stopping turning up, such as Camara having yet another anonymous performance.

Brechet was back, scored an own goal, then scored a proper goal, and did help until the final minute. Two more league games this month, against Evian and Nice, and we need the points.

I held a team meeting after the game, telling them not to allow their heads to drop. It went great, everyone loved it, bar Modibo Maiga, who was very upset. I’ll keep an eye on him.”

Europa League Group H – Matchday 3

Anderlecht 0 – 2 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215028

“This is exactly the result we needed. We were the better side to begin with, missing a penalty, and then Mazuch was deservedly sent off for an outrageous challenge on Martin.

From there, we dominated the game. Goals from Boudebouz and Bakambu got us a great win, as we go 4 points clear of the Belgians now, and having the goal difference edge of Villarreal really gives us a chance of progression.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 11
FC Sochaux-Montbe 2 – 0 Evian TG FC

View attachment 215029

“Although it was only 2-0 against bottom team Evian, this was a very good performance and an important three points.

The score-line flatters Evian really, we had all of the possession, a **** of a lot of chances, and on another day this could have easily been 5 or 6.

Defensively, we stopped any attack that came at us, Brechet was a brick wall and Peybernes was deservedly MotM. The only disappointments are that Martin and his replacement, Prcic, will be out for 2 weeks.

Lifts us back into 4th​ after our slump, can’t help but be pleased with that.”

Coupe de la Ligue – 4th​ Round
Stade Rennais FC 4 – 1 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215030

“There is some serious problems in our second-string side. The score-line is flattering to them, but players I had to play today just didn’t turn up.

There is huge prospects here, like Roussillion and Serdar Gurler, who both played well, yet there are some dead weights that will be leaving.

Sebastien Roudet was dreadful, Yoann Andreu was clearly a panic buy because of all my injuries, and it’s almost as if Teddy Richet wants to be in consideration for the number 1 spot.

The first two will be leaving, but some are tilting on that edge, because if I have anything to use in January, I will be using it.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 12

OGC Nice 2 – 1 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215031

“Disappointing, but key injuries are starting to stab at us.

With Martin missing, the news that Boudebouz wouldn’t be fit was another blow, one we couldn’t overcome here.

Starting to get frustrated by the consistent potency of my strikers, I will be having words with the three of them to really buck their ideas up.

I’m beginning to see that I need something in January, but I’m also starting to worry that I’ll have to offload for that to happen.”

Review of October

View attachment 215032

“I’m not pleased that we’ve dropped so far, and some very disappointing results against average sides.
The result against Anderlecht was very pleasing, but it didn’t quench my thirst for victories this month.”

Player of the Month

Jeremie Brechet

View attachment 215033

“This month showed how key he is to our defence. With a lot of under performers this month, he did enough consistently to help out the side.”

----------

Dear readers,

Tonight, you'll be in luck! A double post! The November and December reviews shall be up tonight.

So if you're an avid reader, get ready for that, and any newcomers, have a look through, comment, and look forward to later!

Just saw this now, will be following, love the stories where you dont know much about the side or the players.

KUTGW

The November Review

“After a poor October, I expected some sort of reaction in November. It won’t be easy, with games against Lyon and Montpellier, and one game away at Brest.”

----------

Europa League Group H – Matchday 4
FC Sochaux-Montbe 1 – 1 Anderlecht

View attachment 215215

“We now have an excellent chance of advancing after a lucky result.

We gave them a lot of this game, but I changed things at the death and we nicked a goal, and almost nicked all 3 after hitting the post.

I did let the team know I was a bit disappointed, but, deep inside, I was happy knowing that a win against Wisla will see us into the next round.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 13

FC Sochaux Montbe 1 – 2 Olympique Lyonnais

View attachment 215216

“I don’t think Lyon deserved the three points here, but we tried our hardest.

Jeremie Brechet seems like he’s perfected the art of scoring in his own net, and Corchia needs to improve his defensive abilities if he wants to reach the top.

Bar that, we tried our hardest, with a half fit squad, to grab something. International break is up next, hopefully we will have plenty back to take the game to Brest.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 14
Stade Brestois 29 0 – 2 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215217

“This was a real marauding performance from the lads here today, and an excellent way to bounce back.

Martin was imperious in midfield, the defence was impenetrable, Pierrick Cros has made the number 1 his own, and Sloan Privat grabbed himself a double.

Most pleasing was the first official match for John Martial, who was very solid at the back with young Peybernes, and will have to be after Brechet was side-lined for 6 weeks after the Lyon game.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 15
FC Sochaux-Montbe 2 – 1 Montpellier Herault SC

View attachment 215218

“Absolutely delighted, not only by the result, but the heart and desire shown by the squad today.

We went an early goal down, after a stunner from Estrada, but goals either side of the half from Boudebouz and Privat gave us the win.

Excellence from Cros, Martin, Boudebouz, Camara and Privat, as well as an otherwise solid performance by the defence, really left a great feeling within the side, especially against a very good side in Montpellier.”

----------

Review of November

View attachment 215219

“In the end, this was a good month for the club. The draw in Europe was key, leaving us on the brink of progressing, and after a tough loss against Lyon, we bounce back with two very good wins, and end the month in a decent 5th​.”

Player of the Month

Marvin Martin

View attachment 215220

“It’s all to see why everyone wants this lad. He’s a terrific player, and puts up consistent performances, as seen in how he has done this past month.

Don’t know what we would do without him.”

----------

The December Review

“A hefty month before our winter break, with 4 Ligue 1 games, including a game against money-bags PSG, and we finish our Europa League group with our final two games. So, let’s get in on!”

----------

Europa League Group H – Matchday 5

FC Sochaux-Montbe 3 – 0 Wisla Krakow

View attachment 215226

“A terrific victory which seals our qualification to the next stage of the competition in style. Another domineering performance against the Polish side, who simply couldn’t handle the style we play.

Johan Martial scored his first goal for the club, Peybernes hit the bar twice, Corchia was superb, Martin is in unbelievable form and Privat grabbed himself another double.

It was a great effort by the lads passing through a tough group, and with still a chance of topping the group if we avoid defeat against Villarreal in the last game of the group.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 16

Dijon FCO 1 – 4 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215227

“This was almost as dominant a performance as the Wisla game, as Dijon never really turned up.

We dominated possession, we looked dangerous on every attack, and they were incredibly poxy with their close-range tap in.

Great performance by Martial and Peybernes again, with both getting on the scoresheet this time, as did Boudebouz and Privat, who just can’t stop scoring.”

Pre-Match interview against PSG

microphones.jpg

“Mr Staples, you come up against a side that you have had a bit of a spat with recently, what are your thoughts before the game?”

“Surprisingly, it’s about the game. Look, you can try to twist the words ‘Leonardo and his party of bafoons can keep to their own business’ all you like, but you ain’t getting a peep about me.”

“Some believe you are making mountains out of molehills, what do you say to that?”

“Maybe, but doesn’t everyone love a bit more drama? Everyone is so dull these days, and even in France there is no panache! And, to be honest, Leonardo looks a little fancy for his Prada boots, so why not take them down a peg?”

“Bit childish, isn’t it?”

“You want to sell papers son? Interview me.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 17

FC Sochaux-Montbe 0 – 1 Paris Saint-Germain

View attachment 215228

“Really, really unlucky not to come out of this game with not only a point, but all three.

We deserved a penalty, again a sneaky goal gets them the win, and now Marvin Martin will be out for up to 3 months.

A joke, really, how some of these games have been officiated, and I would like to see the FFF get their fingers out their **** and get better officials.”

Europa League Group H – Matchday 6

Villarreal 0 – 3 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215229

“A great, great win, although Villarreal were clearly understrength.

Nilmar and Zapata started, but no one else really played, and they did go a man down just after half time, which gave us the incentive to go out there and get the points to put us top.

And we did just that, delighted to be at the very top of, potentially, the most difficult group of the competition.”

Europa League Knockout Stage

europa_league_draw_1471239c.jpg

“I was optimistic of getting a decent draw after winning our group, but you never really know in Europe.

Sat next to Lacombe, he told me ‘Nathan, don’t feel so stressed about this. You have got further than we could imagine, anything else is a bonus here for the finances.”

He’s right, we need any cash we can get, because I have nothing to deal with at the moment. The draw began."

Out of the hat, we have UDINESE! And they will be going against FC SOCHAUX-MONTBE!”

“****. Not the easiest draw, that’s for sure. Pretty much the worst we could have hoped for.

“And the winner of that matchup will face either, SV Ried or Sporting Lisbon!”

“Again, could have been worse. If we do go through, it’s much more likely to be Lisbon than Ried.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 18

Girondins Bordeaux 1 – 3 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215230

“An absolutely outstanding result that almost took me by surprise, but this side shouldn’t do that much more.

We were superb in the first half, with Vincent Nogueria really stepping up in Martin’s absence, and Sloan Privat continuing his brilliant form in-front of goal.

We have a real chance to end the year on a high in our next game against Ajaccio, and hopefully the winter break will give these great lads some time to rest.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 19

FC Sochaux-Montbe 0 – 1 AC Ajaccio

View attachment 215231

“Well, that went on its head, and I’m ruddy furious. It’s a game we clearly should be winning, but some of the lads didn’t have the competence to put in a performance today.

We deserved to lose, and there will be many of these players looking at themselves in shame. There is a January transfer window, which I plan to exploit if I can, and some of these may never get another chance.”

----------

Review of December

View attachment 215232

“A mixed bag, we won both the European games, won 2 in the league and lost 2. We sit in 5th​, which is around where I want to be at the end of the season, but there is at least one team above us I can see us passing, can anyone guess who?”

Player of the Month

Sloan Privat

View attachment 215233

“The lad is starting to become a real goal-scorer. He scored 5 this month, scoring 12 overall in all competitions this season. He’s keeping a very good Maiga out of the side, and at the moment, deservedly so.”

---------

Two epic updates!

Feel free to comment, and I also want ideas for a post on the Winter break!

Talking with the board? A team night-out? Mid-season review?

Good season so far, keep it up!

Shame about Martin, but hopefully someone can step up and fill his shoes whilst he's out.

I'd quite like to see some financial stuff over the winter if thats ok?

Shame about Martin, but hopefully someone can step up and fill his shoes whilst he's out.

Yeah that can be done mate, are you wanting how difficult they are? The in's and out's in why I can't squeeze any money from anywhere.

Well you've got state of the art youth facilities so they must cost quite a bit to run. Are you running a loss every month or are you going to need to start selling anyone?

Well you've got state of the art youth facilities so they must cost quite a bit to run. Are you running a loss every month or are you going to need to start selling anyone?

I'll put the finance screens on it, but it's surprisingly not a lot to keep them up.

And I am at the moment, but it is odd, I get plenty of money from Europa League and stuff

I am attempting to sell some deadwood, but issues there too.

Right, depending on when I get in tonight. there will be two updates imminent.

One, is the winter break, the other is the very short January.

Feel free to suggest things in the meantime!

Mid-Season
Break

The Season So Far

View attachment 215475

View attachment 215476

“I can without question say that I am happy with how things have gone so far.

Regarding Ligue 1, I think we had a terrific start, we stagnated but regained some form at the end. 5th​ is around where I want to be at the end, whether we can stay there is difficult to tell, but I think we can.

Europa League has really been a dream for us so far. After having a disaster in Glasgow, we rallied to batter Celtic back on our patch, and we haven’t looked back. In the group stages, we didn’t lose and conceded once, and deserved to go through to face Udinese. Anything else here will be a bonus.

We start another cup competition next month, but as far as I’m concerned, we aren’t too bothered about going out early in the Coupe de la Ligue, especially to Rennes.

Now, let’s have a look at some interesting things that happened over this Christmas break.”

----------

Financial Situation

View attachment 215477

“I’ll be honest, the figures don’t look amazing, but we should really be turning a corner by now. We do get regular decent sums from the Europa League and TV money for Ligue 1, but it all goes back into the club, and we still make losses.

I managed to get more of a percentage of sales to the transfer budget, but it’s still only 35%, which is incredibly restrictive.

If anyone has any financial help, please feel free to get in touch!”

---------

Friendlies

Monterrey 1 – 0 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215478

“Not too bothered about the score-line, as it was mainly to keep our fitness up over the Christmas period.

I’d like to thank Monterrey for inviting us out, and gave us an excuse to have a great team bonding session out in Mexico, which you will hear about later.

Everyone got a game, and they all had a decent run out.”

----------

Awards

“I’m delighted to announce that two of our players have received awards this year.”

Ryad Boudebouz

View attachment 215479

“Ryad won the prestigious African Youth player of the Year, which just shows you how terrific he has been. He’s been a pleasure to manage, has put in some determined performances and deserves this accolade.”

Mathieu Peybernes

View attachment 215480

“Mathieu also won a huge award, getting the ‘Revelation of the Year’ award for Ligue 1. Former winners include Frank Ribery, Karim Benzema, Steve Mandanda and Yann M’Vila. With a list like that, it’s clear that Peybernes is destined for big things in this game, and I would like to see him achieve them here.”

----------

Once Upon A Time In Mexico

"Ahhh yes, the infamous Mexico trip

We had a bonding session in a local restaurant before we headed back to France, and it was also a bit of a send-off for some of the lads heading for the Africa Cup of Nations.

Peybernes thought of the genius idea of putting some extra spice in Ryad Boudebouz's chilli, and see him rocket off his chair.

He came back from visiting the loo, and we awaited the explosion with anticipation...then nothing.

We told Ryad about it, and said he couldn't tell, and for Mathieu to have a taste, and he was so confused at the mildness, so put some sauce on his.

Peybernes flew out of his chair, running and screaming around the table for milk, with Ryad and the lads crying with laughter.

What topped it off? Ryad had switched plates! The lads really bonded here, and we can't wait to return to France.

--------

The January
Review

“The start of a new year, and hopefully the continuation of our success. A short month, but I’m hoping for some good results.”

----------

French Cup – 9th​ Round
Balma SC 0 – 2 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215481

“An expected result in the end really. Should have really been a bigger score-line, but I’d rather be through than the lads over exert themselves.

A good start to 2012.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 20

AS Saint-Ettienne 2 – 1 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215482

“Not the best of starts to the second half of the campaign. What really made it worse was the ridiculous idea to stage a tournament in the middle of the league season.

With Maiga, Mikari and Boudebouz gone, we have been left a little bare, and although the lads tried their best, I think I only saw one result coming.

We need reinforcements, we need sales and we need money, and fast.”

French Cup – 10th​ Round

Toulouse Fontaines 1 – 5 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215483

“Strolled through to the next round today, a real classy performance.

As expected, we dominated all aspects of the game, scored some good goals, and it was nice of the lad to get his collector’s item for the tie.

We’ve met expectations by getting this far, let’s see how far we can go!”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 21

FC Lorient 2 – 0 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 215484

“The side embarrassed me today, really.

The amount of chances we spurned were unbelievable, and the fact we let in two very silly compounds how soundly we were beaten today.

Yes, Martin, Maiga and Noguiera are injured, yes, Corchia and Camara were suspended for it and yes, Boudebouz and Mikari were on international duty, but there are no excuses.

Too many of these lads may not see next season.”

----------

Review of January

View attachment 215485

“It’s almost as if we are still on holiday, as it’s been a poor month really.
It’s all I have to say, and there will be no player of the month, as no-one really deserves it.”

TRANSFER CLOCKWATCH

View attachment 215486

“There are the in’s and out’s this month.

Out go Charlie Davis and Damien Perquis, who were originally on short-term loans, Andreu and Roudet, who both have been poor, are out on loan with a view to leave too. Loic Poujol has also agreed to leave for free at the end of the season.

In come Premier League French loanee’s Magaye Gueye and Gael Kakuta. These will helpfully cover the holes we can have with injuries, but also I plan on using Kakuta in part of a new formation to be tested out next month.”

----------

Transfer-Centre-Panel-Promo-Clockwatch-Deadli_2697965.jpg

TRANSFER CLOCKWATCH

Simon Thomas - "This just in to Sky Sports News, we are lead to believe Kenny Dalglish has placed an offer of around
€10m for Sochaux midfielder and French international Marvin Martin.

Now the French club are managed by Englishman Nathan Staples, who last year stated he would need an 'astronomical' offer to prize away his star man. We will update you when things proceed."

"Someone finally becomes concrete with their interest. 10 million is not enough, especially at this late stage, and they will have to do something much, much better."

Charlotte Jackson - "We have an update on the situation between Liverpool and Marvin Martin, Bryan what can you tell us?

Bryan Swanson (Outside Anfield) - "Thank you Charlotte, yes there has been developments in French international Marvin Martin's move to Liverpool.

You can remember Sochaux manager Nathan Staples saying the fee would have to be 'astronomical', and I have been told that Kenny Dalglish, so far, has not come close to the club's valuation.

I have also been told that not only has the
€10m offer been rejected, but so has a second €15m bid.

Now I'm being told that Liverpool are preparing a final €20m offer for Marvin Martin, and they hope that sort of offer could tempt Sochaux to allow talks to begin."

"Wow, that is a sizeable offer. Marvin is a big part of this club, and a huge part of my plans, but in our situation you have to consider offers like these.

Myself and the board went through the details of the deal, and came to our decision."

Simon Thomas - "Looks like we have a conclusion in the Liverpool-Marvin Martin deal, let's go to Bryan Swanson!"

Bryan Swanson - "Yes Simon, and I'm afraid to say to Liverpool fans that any deal is off.

For the in's and out's, we have the Sochaux manager Nathan Staples on the phone now.

Mr Staples, why did you come to this decision?"

"Because I ****** detest Liverpool and their scummy ways! Just kidding Bry-Bry, you know just as well as me that it was a big offer, even a tempting one, but it still doesn't meet our demands."

"Was there any chance of striking a deal on deadline day?"

"Yes and no. They would have had to give us a bigger offer to get in a replacement with the time left in the window, or lent us Stevie G for the rest of the season! But the way they structured the deal, we knew that if we bumped them back, they wouldn't try again."

"Can you tell us how the deal was structured?"

"They were willing to only give us around 2 million now, and the rest structured in instalments over the next two years, and that sort of deal wouldn't help us in a search for a replacement, and they knew it."

"Nathan, thank you for your time. Well there you go, Liverpool just couldn't give enough to get their man, maybe they will try again in the summer, back to the studio."

-----------

"In the end, there was no way he was going. Marvin was a star throughout, not allowing himself to be distracted by the discussions, and told me he's pleased to be staying for the rest of the season at least. He knows the club holds all the cards in his sale, especially when he's tied down until 2015, so this was a great result for myself, the board and the club."