Giving Les Lionceaux Its Roar - An FC Sochaux-Montbe Story

Right, slight delay on the next update.

I went a bit further than one month by accident, so September will be combined with October.

Should be up tonight!

FC_Sochaux-Montbéliard_logo.png

The September and October Review - 2012/2013

"Two crucial months as the League and European places start to take shape. Can we challenge for the Champions League places? Can we come atop of our Europa League group? Will we finally get to a Quarter Final of the French Cup? Let's see!"

----------

Ligue 1 – Matchday 5
AJ Auxerre 1 -1 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 218851

“We should have won this game.

Put our shooting boots on, and this would have been a hammering, but alas, we have to take a point.

We looked good in attacking plays, just couldn’t put it in the back of the net, really.”

Europa League Group F – Matchday 1
FC Sochaux-Montbe 2 – 0 Hapoel Tel-Aviv

View attachment 218860

“You will never, ever see a more one sided 2-0 in your whole entire life.

We decimated them, just again struggled to put some chances in the back of the net. At times, it was a 4-5-1 against a 9-0-1, unbelievable stuff.

A good start, sit second on goal difference behind Red Star, we will soon catch them up.”

----------

TRANSFER CLOCKWATCH

View attachment 218865

“Hot off the press! We have signed Felix Bastians for €2.5mil from Freiburg! The German left-back will be joining in January. Quality signing.

Also, I’m looking at David Ospina, a keeper I have admired for a long time, and his contract is coming to an end. Yes, Pierrick Cros is a great keeper, but this lad is top of the tree, and nothing wrong with competition. And what a free signing that could be?!”

----------

Ligue 1 – Matchday 6

FC Sochaux-Montbe 3 -3 Olympique Marseille

View attachment 218868

“Putting my manager cap aside, what an outstanding football match!

Early goals, comebacks, sendings offs, penalties. Awesome, awesome stuff on display.

Manager cap back on, this was a great chance to take three points off a good team. They went 2-0 up, came fantastically back to 2-2, and they get Remy sent off for a silly challenge.

Then, Ayew gets a goal, silly. Martial scored, but was poor in defence.

We will keep trying, we will get there, and the fact we can hang with some of these teams inspires confidence.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 7
AC Ajaccio 2 – 4 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 218869

“A good result, but we should have played a little better.

We stormed into a 3-0 lead with a good first half, and then with a man being sent off for Ajaccio really put us in the driving seat.

But, in the second half, we were poor. We conceded silly, silly goals and we should have not relaxed so much at the end of the game.

We could have been punished in other games, and we will need to improve.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 8

LEMANS FC 1 – 2 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 218870

“An enjoyable comeback from the lads that showed real character.

We feel behind to a decent goal, in a ball that we regularly play ourselves, and we equalised with the exact same ball and finish.

This was a good away win in the end, and puts us right in the mix.”

Europa League Group F – Matchday 2

APOEL Nicosia 0 – 6 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 218871

“This here is what you call domination.

A sensational result, we controlled every single aspect of this game and more. I brought subs on, and they continued the fabulous flowing football we established.

Sets us up with a massive goal difference heading into the Belgrade double-header, which will surely decide who finishes top of the group.”

-----------

TRANSFER CLOCKWATCH

View attachment 218873

“We have bought in a new player! Using the French Joker window, in which you can sign one player who already plays in the French league, we have brought in David Ospina for €2.4mil.

I was going to wait until January, but Nice offered him, and we battled with Liverpool, but we got his signature. It will be an immense battle between him and Cros for my number one.”

-----------

Ligue 1 – Matchday 9
FC Sochaux-Montbe 2 – 1 Montpellier Herault SC

View attachment 218874

“A good win against an understrength Montpellier.

We played well in patches, our attacking was good again, but we conceded a little bit of a sloppy goal.

Ospina was good in his first start, comfortable, and will settle in fine.

Ligue 1 – Matchday 10

Girondins Bordeaux 0 – 4 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 218876

“A really barnstorming win here, we controlled this game from start to finish.

It was really one of those performance where you know that your competitors should look at and think that these will be a contender this season.

Unfortunately, after this result, the Bordeaux manager was fired, which is always a sad thing to see, but unfortunately part of the game these days.”

Europa League Group H – Matchday 3

Red Star Belgrade 0 – 0 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 218875

“A little disappointing, as there were plenty of chances to take the three points here.

We played some nice football, but we just couldn’t get that telling goal that would put some breathing space between us and Red Star.

We have them again at home in the next game, and I’ll be hoping for 3 points to tie up qualification.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 11
FC Sochaux-Montbe 2 – 0 Stade Rennais FC

View attachment 218877

“A really impressive win, that lifts us up into the top position with a game in hand.

We were great from start to finish again, and are beginning to look a bit imperious in the league.

5 wins in a row in the league, it’s a massively impressive record.”

Coupe de la Ligue – 4th​ Round

AS Saint-Etienne 1 – 0 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 218878

“What’s with us and 1-0 losses to Saint-Etienne this season?

Another average display, they get the sneaky goal and it’s all over. We should be more accurate with our shooting, as it’s letting us down in games like this.

Disappointed in Cros, it was his mistake for their goal, but I don’t want the arrival of Ospina to put too much pressure on him. The number 1 is up for grabs, but performances like this will hand it David Ospina.”

Review of September and October

View attachment 218881"A great set on months that sees us at the top of the tree with a game in hand. Exceeding expectations at the moment, and I would love to continue this run.

We are also at the top of the Europa League group, and I would love to ensure qualification sooner rather than later.

Disappointed about the Coupe de la Ligue, but hopefully we can do better in the French Cup later in the year."

Player of the Month

Ryad Boudebouz

View attachment 218880"There is really only one word to a player of this kind of quality, and that is superstar.

Some sensational displays, some terrific goals, you would not believe how talented he is.Keeping him for as long as I
can."

----------

Last edited:

The November Review
- 2012/2013

"We have got off to a great start, and now we have a chance to cement our position in the league.

With also a chance of putting us in the driving seat in Europe, this is another big month."

----------

Ligue 1 – Matchday 12

Valenciennes FC 0 – 1 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 219275

“There is a classic saying in Football folklore, that the best of sides get results even when they play poorly. That’s exactly what this game personified.

We were mauled for the majority of the game. Valenciennes were on top for long periods, with us replying with the odd swift counter.

We finally broke through on the 90th​ minute, but we did not deserve the three points. All credit to the lads, we pulled a result from nothing, and showed exactly the squads character in one performance.”

Europa League Group H – Matchday 4

FC Sochaux-Montbe 4 – 0 Red Star Belgrade

View attachment 219276

“Another great night of European football at the Stade Auguste Bonal, as we pulled of a great result against second-placed Red Star.

Dominated from start to finish, much like our last encounter, but this time we got the three points emphatically.

A point against Hapoel Tel-Aviv and we will seal qualification to the knockout stages.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 13
FC Sochaux-Montbe 2 -2 Olympique Lyonnais

View attachment 219277

“What is it with exciting draws against the top two?

Again, we went ahead through a sensational Privat goal, but after half time found ourselves 2-1 down thanks the Benitez’s double.

Bakary Kone was then sent off for the most ridiculous challenge I have ever seen, that could have broken both of Anin’s legs.

And Martin equalisied with a stunning free-kick, and Prcic almost won it in stoppage time.
A sensational game, that really showcased the quality of French football.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 14

FC Sochaux-Montbe 4 – 0 FC Metz

View attachment 219278

“Our game in hand ended in a very good result as we dominated Metz.

Another quality performance, and we are really beginning to hit our stride in the league. 6 points clear of second, a good place to be.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 15
AS Nancy Lorraine 0 – 2 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 219279

“A great way to finish the season against our main rivals.

Nancy gave us a good game, but they lacked a sting in the tail, unlike us, with Sloan Privat grabbing another brace.

In an insane incident in the last minute, we scored, yet were given a penalty. Thank god it was converted, or I would have gone absolutely mental.”

----------

Review of November

View attachment 219280

“Another impressive month see’s us pull 6 points ahead of the chasing pack, which is great to see. Hopefully we can continue this form and sit atop of Ligue 1 come Christmas.

Another point in Europe will see us qualify, so everything looks rosy at the moment.”

Player of the Month

Sloan Privat

View attachment 219281

“I was going to give it to David Ospina, but Privat was the top scorer in Ligue 1 this past month.

A good forward that, if he was more consistent, he’d be an outstanding forward.”

----------

Last edited:
Wow, great signing getting Ospina for so little money, he is a great keeper and will only get better :)

you're doing very well, i notice ospina can play up front, i've never seen a keeper with an outfield position. can you try it in a friendly over christmas.

you're doing very well, i notice ospina can play up front, i've never seen a keeper with an outfield position. can you try it in a friendly over christmas.

I just noticed this, great idea!

I have got the one friendly arranged, against Bayern Munich, I'll have some fun then.

I've neglected this a bit, mainly to make sure it didn't go stale, but I am playing the December update tonight, in lieu of posting as early as possible tomorrow.

first season ended 11th, with wins in both cup competitions and the semis in the europa league. the players didn't seem to care about the league. if i was offered your current league position in november 2012, i would grab it with both hands. keep going!

Just read all 11 pages, absalutely quality story, please carry this on!!

The December Review - 2012/2013

"We look towards the end of the year with optimistic eyes, as we look to be top into the new year. Can we stay there over the winter break?"

---------

Ligue 1 – Matchday 16

FC Sochaux-Montbe 1 – 0 Stade Malherbe Caen

View attachment 221997

“My god this was an awful game.

We put in a terrible shift, and had this been a more deadly side, we could have been put to the slaughter. In fairness to Caen, they tried their best, but one sneaky goal won it.

Privat was suspended for this game, so I started Maiga, who was awful, then put De Bruyne up front, which might have been worse, then out of desperation, put in the Southampton-bound Bakambu.

Luckiest goal you’ll ever see, might have even been offside. In the 14 games I’ve played him, he’s scored once, and has looked awful, even in this one.

Highlighted somewhere I need to look at in January though.”

Europa League Group H – Matchday 5

Hapoel Tel-Aviv 3 – 3 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 221998

“We are through, but not without a couple of bumps and bruises in this one.

There were positives, three good goals, good work from players like Maiga, who is really fighting even though he may be out of the door, which is good to see. If he keeps this up, he will be 100% staying.

But, there were negatives, like hitting the woodwork three times in chances we should finish, and conceding three goals in most games is unacceptable. The defence will have to work harder next time out.

We are through, and are guaranteed top, so I’ll use the last game against APOEL to use youngsters and new ideas.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 17

OGC Nice 3 – 0 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 221999

“An absolutely horrendous display.

It started off okay, then Anin got himself sent off in the 8th​ minute, the 8th​ freeking minute! What in the ******* **** was he thinking!?

Then, we hit rock bottom, allowed the goals to flood, sat back and felt sorry for ourselves.

We need to pick up, and they know that they have shamed me today.

Ligue 1 – Matchday 18

FC Sochaux-Montbe 3 – 0 Stade Brestois 29

View attachment 222000

“I’m glad we pulled the finger out and got a good result here.

2 goals from defenders is not always ideal, but we needed a big pick me up from the poor result against Nice, and this was ideal.

It’s a good three points heading into our final game of 2012, and we are still in top spot.

Europa League Group H – Matchday 6

FC Sochaux-Montbe 4 – 0 APOEL Nicosia

View attachment 222001

“A great result for the second string lads, who put in a great performance here.

Good to see players like Prcic, Maiga and Brechet put in performance to make me think twice about selections, rather than making my job that bit easier.

Without losing a game in the group, we go into the next round full of confidence.

Ligue 1 – Matchday 19
AS Monaco FC 0 – 5 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 222002

“A sensational win here that really puts into a great position before the winter break.

Some great performances from Boudebouz’s double to Martin’s incredible free-kick, we thoroughly deserved the three points and the five goals.

An excellent way to end the competitive matches for the year, the lads can be proud of their 2012.

-----------

Review of December

View attachment 222006

“Bar the blip against Nice, I’m very content on how the month has gone.

In the league, we have managed to be on top for Christmas and the New Year, and we have at least got a little cushion between us, Lyon and Marseille.

I’m glad to be in the knockout stages of the Europa League, as was the aim set by the board, and I will judge on the draw really how far I would see us going.

Player of the Month

Marvin Martin

View attachment 222007

“I think, Marvin is probably the best player I will have the pleasure of working with.

Not only massively talented, vital to the team, but a natural leader. There is a reason he is practically captain in this squad now, and pretty much will be confirmed at the end of the season.

I can categorically say there is no amount of money that would prise Marvin from this club.

No amount.”

------------

The December Review - 2012/2013

"We look towards the end of the year with optimistic eyes, as we look to be top into the new year. Can we stay there over the winter break?"

---------

Ligue 1 – Matchday 16

FC Sochaux-Montbe 1 – 0 Stade Malherbe Caen

View attachment 221997

“My god this was an awful game.

We put in a terrible shift, and had this been a more deadly side, we could have been put to the slaughter. In fairness to Caen, they tried their best, but one sneaky goal won it.

Privat was suspended for this game, so I started Maiga, who was awful, then put De Bruyne up front, which might have been worse, then out of desperation, put in the Southampton-bound Bakambu.

Luckiest goal you’ll ever see, might have even been offside. In the 14 games I’ve played him, he’s scored once, and has looked awful, even in this one.

Highlighted somewhere I need to look at in January though.”

Europa League Group H – Matchday 5

Hapoel Tel-Aviv 3 – 3 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 221998

“We are through, but not without a couple of bumps and bruises in this one.

There were positives, three good goals, good work from players like Maiga, who is really fighting even though he may be out of the door, which is good to see. If he keeps this up, he will be 100% staying.

But, there were negatives, like hitting the woodwork three times in chances we should finish, and conceding three goals in most games is unacceptable. The defence will have to work harder next time out.

We are through, and are guaranteed top, so I’ll use the last game against APOEL to use youngsters and new ideas.”

Ligue 1 – Matchday 17

OGC Nice 3 – 0 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 221999

“An absolutely horrendous display.

It started off okay, then Anin got himself sent off in the 8th​ minute, the 8th​ freeking minute! What in the ******* **** was he thinking!?

Then, we hit rock bottom, allowed the goals to flood, sat back and felt sorry for ourselves.

We need to pick up, and they know that they have shamed me today.

Ligue 1 – Matchday 18

FC Sochaux-Montbe 3 – 0 Stade Brestois 29

View attachment 222000

“I’m glad we pulled the finger out and got a good result here.

2 goals from defenders is not always ideal, but we needed a big pick me up from the poor result against Nice, and this was ideal.

It’s a good three points heading into our final game of 2012, and we are still in top spot.

Europa League Group H – Matchday 6

FC Sochaux-Montbe 4 – 0 APOEL Nicosia

View attachment 222001

“A great result for the second string lads, who put in a great performance here.

Good to see players like Prcic, Maiga and Brechet put in performance to make me think twice about selections, rather than making my job that bit easier.

Without losing a game in the group, we go into the next round full of confidence.

Ligue 1 – Matchday 19
AS Monaco FC 0 – 5 FC Sochaux-Montbe

View attachment 222002

“A sensational win here that really puts into a great position before the winter break.

Some great performances from Boudebouz’s double to Martin’s incredible free-kick, we thoroughly deserved the three points and the five goals.

An excellent way to end the competitive matches for the year, the lads can be proud of their 2012.

-----------

Review of December

View attachment 222006

“Bar the blip against Nice, I’m very content on how the month has gone.

In the league, we have managed to be on top for Christmas and the New Year, and we have at least got a little cushion between us, Lyon and Marseille.

I’m glad to be in the knockout stages of the Europa League, as was the aim set by the board, and I will judge on the draw really how far I would see us going.

Player of the Month

Marvin Martin

View attachment 222007

“I think, Marvin is probably the best player I will have the pleasure of working with.

Not only massively talented, vital to the team, but a natural leader. There is a reason he is practically captain in this squad now, and pretty much will be confirmed at the end of the season.

I can categorically say there is no amount of money that would prise Marvin from this club.

No amount.”

------------

Come on man? No amount? I think you have done a masterful job with this lad. I am starting a malaga save or already have but have not posted it here yet. I am not going to let you in on my signings but had a $43M transfer budget and bought some players who I think will do VERY well in Spain. Would you advise me to bring this Marvin Martin fella to Malaga? I am playing a 4-3-3 and have a magical midfield and feel he would add to that .... Please let me know mate and btw, loving you story.

great story keep it up bro, also if you do in your review at the end you could say like who you are tergeting.

Come on man? No amount? I think you have done a masterful job with this lad. I am starting a malaga save or already have but have not posted it here yet. I am not going to let you in on my signings but had a $43M transfer budget and bought some players who I think will do VERY well in Spain. Would you advise me to bring this Marvin Martin fella to Malaga? I am playing a 4-3-3 and have a magical midfield and feel he would add to that .... Please let me know mate and btw, loving you story.

Marvin Martin is a revelation on my save my friend.

Not only a sensational player, starts most of the good work my team does even if he doesn't get the assist, he's a leader and level headed. Is not on a load of wages either, play as an advanced playmaker and he will do wonders. Wanted by just about everyone.

Him, and Boudebouz, I won't let go at any price, unless the offer is insanity.

great story keep it up bro, also if you do in your review at the end you could say like who you are tergeting.

As in new signings? That sounds like a pretty good idea man, just that I don't tend to target much ;)

I'll try and intergrate one in for you dude, but it's something I'll add into my winter break anyway my friend.

Should have an update for you tomorrow guys.

You have inspired me to try a save in France buddy. I'm looking through the teams tonight and I will hopefully find something interesting that I can turn into a **** of a story, something similar to yours if you don't mind ...

Look forward to the update man!

You have inspired me to try a save in France buddy. I'm looking through the teams tonight and I will hopefully find something interesting that I can turn into a **** of a story, something similar to yours if you don't mind ...

Look forward to the update man!

Of course I don't mind friend, it would be an honour, and is to know I have been an inspiration!

Depending on what challenge you want, PSG, Lille, Lyon and Marseille should be easy.

But teams like Montpellier, who are really good on FM and IRL, Saint-Etienne have done well on my save, Auxerre could return to glory, Stade Rennais and try to build around Yann M'Vila, there is plenty to wonder at!

And about the update today, I've got some uni work to do, but I'll write the Winter Review as soon as I'm sorted, and the January update should be sorted late Friday!

Of course I don't mind friend, it would be an honour, and is to know I have been an inspiration!

Depending on what challenge you want, PSG, Lille, Lyon and Marseille should be easy.

But teams like Montpellier, who are really good on FM and IRL, Saint-Etienne have done well on my save, Auxerre could return to glory, Stade Rennais and try to build around Yann M'Vila, there is plenty to wonder at!

And about the update today, I've got some uni work to do, but I'll write the Winter Review as soon as I'm sorted, and the January update should be sorted late Friday!

I have decided to go with Lyon, and the reason is that they won the league for seven consecutive years up until 2008 and that was the last year. I am going to try and get this team back on track in the league, get the finances up and challenge in Europe for the Champions League. I am going to try for a treble within 3 years by winning the League, the French Cup, and either Europa League or the Champs League. Let me know what you think of this friend. Look forward to the next update as well!