Global Domination - an Intercontinental adventure

Andriy Voronin! Classic!

Love the story, too. I agree, Banfield would probs be a good choice.

Andriy Voronin! Classic!

Love the story, too. I agree, Banfield would probs be a good choice.

Thanks mate!

I think you shuld rule South africa out cus u have been their and won that lol so i feel that MLS may be gd choice and where is Banfield

Yeah I am definately ruling South Africa out. And Banfield is in Argentina. I have a soft spot for them as they produced Javier Zanetti and Julio Cruz.

martingreenacre.png

I waited and waited for the Banfield job to open up, but I couldn’t wait forever. Their manager seemed un-sackable, despite his job being very insecure for a long time. But I did get my move to Argentina, with Huracan. They finished 17th in the opening stage this season, and after five games of the closing stage, the club are only one place better off. It is currently 21st February 2015, so this job is the result of three months of job hunting.

A big reason why I accepted the job was the club’s facilities; particularly the excellent youth academy. Huracan also play at the Tomás Adolfo Ducó, which holds 48,314 fans.

9947_20090123001426_800x600.jpg

Looking at the squad, I expect major changes at the end of the season. We have two stand-out players, but a lot of the squad is below par. According to my coaches, young striker Claudio Bruno is the best player at the club, but he will be out for up to seven weeks with fractured ribs. Luciano Civelli is the other important player. He is versatile, and signed from Ipswich on a free transfer three years ago. He can also speak English, which may prove useful.

The club hasn’t come close to threatening the big two in recent years, which is what my objectives will be in the coming seasons. In the 2010/11 season, they actually finished rock bottom, but survived after winning the play-off. Last season they finished 10th. So my aims for the closing stage of the season will just be to settle in and stay up, and then maybe look at trying to qualify for the Copa Libertadores.

Last edited:
February 2015

Huracan 2-0 Estudiantes (LP)
Civelli (3)
Milano (88)
The perfect start to my career at the club, as we beat a very good team. Civelli proved just how valuable he is as he gave us an early lead, before Mauro Milano sealed the win towards the end. The players don’t look particularly fit at the moment, and for the next match I had to rotate a few players, but it is still early.

Central 0-0 Huracan
I think this was the epitome of the phrase ‘bore draw’, with neither team having a single shot on target. Ramon Lentini was playing as a lone front man, and had a couple of decent chances, but each went high and wide. But away against a team of a similar standard to us, a draw isn’t too bad a result.

There have been some promising signs in my first eight days as Huracan manager. We are still yet to concede, and we have put in two good performances. I am currently using the same formation I use for Algeria, with Lentini leading the line on his own. But when Bruno returns after a month or so, I may have to review our tactics, as he is our best player and I’m not sure how he would fit into the setup.

View attachment 90230 View attachment 90231

I read the whole thread and I am impressed ! You did a great great job! I always loved this kind of stories and your one is great!

Not long ago, I did a similar type of career. I started in Fiji, with their best club FC BA, I won the league and the Oceanian UCL. Then, I went to Jamaica, where in two years I won the league with Meadhaven. After that, I went back home in Romania, I took Concordia Chiajna from the second league. I promoved, in the first year I finished 7th, then 4th, and in the third year I won the title in the last match. Then I went in Russia, at CSKA, wich was the best club at that time, I won 2 titles, 2 cups and 1 supercup and I have had some easy UCL groupes and I went in the first knockout stages and got eliminated by Man United and Tottenham. After that I went for six months in Belgium at Club Brugges and won the title. Then I took Bayern Leverkusen, but I got bored with all the regens. I abandoned that career. At national teams, with Netherlands Antilles I won Carribean Cup, I made it through quarter finals. I qualified the team at the World Cup where Iost 4-0 to Argentina, I beat Croatia 1-0, and I kept chances of qualification in the last match till the 80th minute against Iran, it was 0-0, but in the minutes Iran scored me 5 goals!!

I have some questions for you and I hope you answer me like you did with the others.

What do you think about the Romanian League ? Have you ever manage a team in Romania ? Steaua Bucharest maybe ?

Why did you exclude the Oceanian Champions League ?

And can you show us your tactic ?

I read the whole thread and I am impressed ! You did a great great job! I always loved this kind of stories and your one is great!

Not long ago, I did a similar type of career. I started in Fiji, with their best club FC BA, I won the league and the Oceanian UCL. Then, I went to Jamaica, where in two years I won the league with Meadhaven. After that, I went back home in Romania, I took Concordia Chiajna from the second league. I promoved, in the first year I finished 7th, then 4th, and in the third year I won the title in the last match. Then I went in Russia, at CSKA, wich was the best club at that time, I won 2 titles, 2 cups and 1 supercup and I have had some easy UCL groupes and I went in the first knockout stages and got eliminated by Man United and Tottenham. After that I went for six months in Belgium at Club Brugges and won the title. Then I took Bayern Leverkusen, but I got bored with all the regens. I abandoned that career. At national teams, with Netherlands Antilles I won Carribean Cup, I made it through quarter finals. I qualified the team at the World Cup where Iost 4-0 to Argentina, I beat Croatia 1-0, and I kept chances of qualification in the last match till the 80th minute against Iran, it was 0-0, but in the minutes Iran scored me 5 goals!!

I have some questions for you and I hope you answer me like you did with the others.

What do you think about the Romanian League ? Have you ever manage a team in Romania ? Steaua Bucharest maybe ?

Why did you exclude the Oceanian Champions League ?

And can you show us your tactic ?

Wow, that sounds like an epic career. And to answer your questions:

I have never managed in Romania, and unfortunately I didn't load them this time round, but I want to try it some day.

For the Oceanian Champions League, I didn't realise there was one. Since Australian teams compete in the Asian Champions League I thought it would be the same.

And I create my own tactics and have changed tactics at every club I have been to, but the current one I am using for both Algeria and Huracan is this:

View attachment 90278

But my most successful time at Bidvest Wits was using a narrow 4-3-1-2 with short passing and either control or counter depending on who we were playing.

March 2015

Huracan 1-0 Boca
Milano (pen 4)
A great win against one of the powerhouses of Argentine football. It was important we got the early goal, as it gave us something to hang onto, and after that we defended bravely. The goal came from the penalty spot, as Lentini did brilliantly to dribble past the last defender who then brought him down. That makes it seven points from my first three games, and we are yet to concede a goal.

boca-huracan.jpg

Godoy Cruz 1-1 Huracan
Lentini (pen 90)
We conceded our first goal with me as manager today, and came so close to losing our first match. But Lentini saved us again with a last minute goal. Godoy Cruz finished 18th in the opening stage, so this was a match I would have liked to have won, but at 1-0 down going into injury time I will take the draw.

Independiente 0-1 Huracan
Lentini (31)
A very good win against a side who, on paper, have a very good squad, but appear to have been underachieving in recent years. It was Lentini again with the goal, after the Independiente ‘keeper rushed out and failed to clear the ball, allowing Lentini to pass it in from 25 yards.

Huracan 0-0 Banfield
In the frost, and playing with an orange ball, we could only manage against Banfield. They had the better of the first half, but in the second half we came out more positive and caused them some problems of our own. But Banfield are a quality team, and this has to go down as a decent result.

Huracan 1-0 Chacarita
Machin (9)
We dominated the match, but it took a wonder goal from midfielder Machin to win the game. I would have liked to have scored another couple of goals, but we got the victory and kept another clean sheet.

It has been a fantastic, unbeaten month. The win over Boca was a particular highlight, and the results have pushed us up to 7th in the closing stage. We also only conceded one goal, due to great defending which has been key to our success. However, we only scored four goals, and we are going to need to find the net more often if we are to continue to push up the table. Although, the day after the Chacarita match, Claudio Bruno returned to full training, leaving me with a tough decision to make next month. Lentini has been fantastic this month, so do I continue to play him up front on his own? Or do I change the tactics to incorporate two strikers?

Player of the month: Ramon Lentini
He has led the line brilliantly, and looks like a very good player.

Algeria

Sudan 0-1 Algeria
Boudebouz (67)

We also had one African Cup of Nations qualifying match for Algeria, and it was one we could have won by three or four. We could only score one goal, but that still makes it three wins from three, meaning we are in a great position to qualify.

I also gave a debut to French player who was eligible to play for Algeria. Feghouli is a great coupe for us, and I am sure he will go on to become a vital part of the team. He also seems very down to earth. He agreed to play the first time I tried to call him up, and after giving him his debut I became one of his favoured personnel.

April 2015

San Martin (T) 0-0 Huracan
A very disappointing draw against the team who are currently bottom of the overall league table. We didn’t create enough, and never looked like scoring. We really need to start scoring more goals, as we can’t keep relying on our defense to get us results.

Huracan 1-1 Argentinos
Diaz (pen 29)
I don’t know how we didn’t win this match. We may have scored from the penalty spot with what was our only shot on target, but we still looked comfortable as the match appeared to fizzle out. But seven minutes from the end, Argentinos upped the tempo and found an equaliser. Again, though, we couldn’t find a second goal to kill the game off.

Huracan 2-0 San Lorenzo
Bruno (49)
Machin (77)
A fantastic win against our fierce rivals, and this was the first time since my first game in charge we have scored more than one goal in a game. We were struggling in the first half, so at half time I switched to the 4-3-1-2 I used at Bidvest Wits. I also made three substitutions, including Claudio Bruno who, just four minutes after coming on, gave us the lead after a superb run. Machin then put the game beyond doubt with a long range strike from a narrow angle. I will give the formation another try in our next match, and see what happens.

huracan_sanlorenzo_lluvia.jpg

Huracan 5-0 Newell’s
Sarulyte (7)
Betig (13)
Lentini (33)
Milano (37)
Machin (73)
I gave the 4-3-1-2 another chance today, and I have to say it paid off! Considering we went eight games without scoring more than one goal in a game, to score five is unbelievable. And five different scorers makes it even better, the first two of which are defenders. This match has really restored my faith in this team, and I can’t wait until next season where we start level with everybody on 0 points.

I can safely say I am now the happiest I have been in Argentina. I don’t know why I waited so long to try out the tactic which won me the African Champions League; perhaps because it means there is no place for Civelli. But this month has pushed us up to 4th in the closing stage, and 11th in the overall table. Now I am just frustrated that I took over when the Copa Libertadores was already virtually out of the question, because correct me if I am wrong, but I believe qualification is based on the overall table.

Player of the Month: Jesus Milano
There were a lot of contenders, but the left back has been the most consistent performer this month. He is now also keeping Luciano Civelli out of the team.

I just noticed something. It seems that in Argentina, in the event of a colour clash, it is the home team that wears their away kit. I never realised that.

End of Season Update (May 2015)

Gimnasia (LP) 1-2 Huracan
Lentini (28)
Bruno (90)
We got our third successive win against a Gimnasia team struggling against relegation, thanks to an injury time winner from Bruno. And Bruno seems to really be finding his feet in the team and looks like he could develop into a very good player.

River 1-0 Huracan
So today I lost my first game since taking the job, and it couldn’t have been against a harder team. It came as we travelled to River Plate, who had just clinched the league title. But they didn’t play a weakened side, and that contributed to the result. The goal came as goalkeeper Monzon spilled a shot that landed at the feet of Daniel Villalva.

daniel%20villalva.jpg

Huracan 0-1 Racing Club
After going unbeaten in my first twelve matches in charge, we have now lost two in a row. It looked like it was heading for a draw, but an 88th minute goal won the game for Racing Club. It was a disappointing defeat, but we didn’t really have anything to play for.

So after taking over five matches into the closing stage, I have guided Huracan to 4th place. We finish 11th in the overall table, and I can’t wait for next season. I have seen some very promising signs from the players, and if we continue this fine form next year, I believe we can qualify for the Copa Libertadores. So far in Argentina I have played 14 matches. 7 have been wins, 5 draws, and 2 defeats coming in the final two games of the season. The defence has been particularly brilliant, conceding only five goals.

I am also looking forward to strengthening the squad in the close season. We will certainly need to bring in a defensive midfielder. The player I had been playing there in all 14 matches had already agreed a deal to sign for Elche at the end of the season. That is not the only deal the previous manager agreed for the end of the season before he left, as a new goalkeeper will arrive. I have already lost out on one target, a 17-year-old midfielder who came highly recommended. We had a bid accepted, but the player opted to move to Banfield of all teams!

Player of the Season: Ramon Lentini

This isn’t the player of the season, but more the player of the last twelve games award, as I am only judging by what I have seen. And it goes to a player who did a brave job leading the line when he was the lone front man, often bailing us out with his goals. And then when we reverted to two strikers, he proved a great target man. And he has convinced me that I don’t need to splash out on a striker. I will need to bring in a back-up, but the pairing of Lentini and Bruno will most likely lead us into next season.

Algeria

African Nations Qualifying

I still can't beleive what I just saw! In the first minute of the game, midfielder Linganzi was sent off. But somehow, we went into the half time break 6-1 up! Four minutes into the second half, our other central midfielder, 21-year-old Ounis who was making his debut, was also sent off, leaving us with nine men. The game ended 6-1. For some reason I decided before the match not to watch the highlights, which I watch every game, and what a game I missed.

Wow ! Just read it from about .... 4th page ... haven't read it for a while, so quite interesting read. Nice job with Algeria, World Cup, Algeria, here we come ! ;) Nice resuls in Argentina also, especially vs. Newell's. Seems that 4-3-1-2 still works :) Good for you that you came away from Russia, it didn't develop well there :)

Algeria

Friendly
Argentina 2-1 Algeria
Ghezzal (25)

We travelled to the country where I currently manage, and put on a decent showing. I made a lot of substitutions at half time, including giving a 19-year-old his debut in the heart of the midfield. Carlos Tevez gave Argentina the lead after 24 minutes, only for Ghezzal to equalise a minute later. Tevez won the game in the second half. Overall, I saw some very good signs from my team today, and they didn't embarrase me.

I have also been working hard on transfers which is proving very frustrating. I found a gem of a player for £550k, but River Plate came in and offered him double the wages I was prepared to offer!

Glad to see you leaving Russia.wasnt working out there. You have a better chance with an English or Spanish club. Oh by the way how has Marquez developed in your game so far and where is he now?

Thanks, and I am finding Argentina much more enjoyable at the moment. Hopefully I can also learn Spannish there to give me more chance at a Spannish club down the line. And Marques has had a decent first season at Genoa. I am glad to see his value decreasing after he joined them for £12m because I still hope to sign him again one day.

View attachment 92797 View attachment 92798

Hes definitely turning out quality anyway.i have a few promising players in my Africa story too.never realised the regens would be as good.Are you hoping for a title challenge next season due to your form at the end of last season?

Yeah South Africa look to be developing a really good team. And I'm not sure about title challenge, but I would definately hope to qualify for the Copa Libertadores. Although the great thing about the Argentine league, is if you win one of the stages you have a chance of winning the title. So all it takes is half a year of good form.

P.S. sorry about lack of updates. Pre-season and transfer dealings are taking longer than I expected.