Global Domination - an Intercontinental adventure

May 2014

Tom 2-3 Lokomotiv Moscow
Miroshnychenko (32, 66)
Fedoriv (40)
I was disappointed to concede two goals, but we never looked like losing and got the win we deserved. Surprisingly Miroshnychenko’s two goals were both headers, and he had a fantastic game. I tried playing with a higher tempo and not such a direct style of play, and it produced a win.

Lokomotiv Moscow 1-1 Kuban
Aliev (29)
We should have won today. We took the lead with Aliev’s great finish, and they never really created enough to look like getting an equaliser. But after 62 minutes, we conceded a penalty, and subsequently conceded a goal. In the post match interview I criticized the decision, but the FA kept silent. Seeing as last time I criticized the ref I was handed a ‘further warning’, I think it shows that they know it wasn’t a penalty.

Rostov 2-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Aliev (25)
Taranov (90)
We came very close to losing for the first time this season, but Taranov’s injury time equaliser kept our unbeaten run intact. Rostov finished one position above the relegation zone last season, so we really should be beating them.

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 Dinamo Moscow
Aliev (10, 19)
A great win against our rivals, and just what we needed. Two early goals and a clean sheet meant it was a good, comfortable victory for us. Aliev continued his wonderful form on the left wing, scoring a brace, and he has been one of our best players this season.

Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+Dinamo+Moscow+Premier+Liga+d37aEoXmqoNm.jpg

Rubin 1-0 Lokomotiv Moscow
So we lost for the first time this season today, but we didn’t really deserve anything more. Lakhiyalov had a great chance to equalise late on when he was put through on goal, but he rushed it and just headed the ball into the ‘keeper’s hands. It is disappointing, but it had to happen sometime. And hopefully we will do better now without the fear of losing.

Overall, it has been a rollercoaster month. We lost for the first time this season, the draws should really have been wins, but the wins we got were very good ones. I am still not happy with the way our tactics are working, as we are far too inconsistent, but changing things too much will just make it worse.

Player of the month: Olexandr Aliev
4 goals in 5 games ain’t bad for a winger. He has been a revelation this season, and is keeping the likes of Adel Taarabt out of the team.

June 2014

Not the most eventful month, as Lokomotiv didn’t have a single match. Algeria had a friendly, though.

Juninho Given Leave of Absence
Brazilian striker Juninho had already come out in the press saying he is finding it hard to settle into the area. I was reluctant to allow him a leave of absence when we had a busy schedule, as he was on great form and an important part of the team. But his form has dried up a little bit, and we don’t have a match until late July, so I thought it a great time to let him go back to Brazil for a month.

Algeria

Germany 1-2 Algeria
O.G. (3)
Ziani (51)
A great performance and result against one of the most successful teams in the world. We took a very early lead, but Germany equalised just two minutes later. From there, many would have expected them to get three or four, but we regained control, and got to half time at 1-1. And then early in the second half we took the lead again and managed to hold on. It was a very promising performance, and if we keep playing like that, we will hopefully have a good tournament at the next ACN.

58040_news.jpg

July 2014

We started off the month with a few friendly matches to keep the players ticking over for when the Premier League season restarts. Firstly, we beat Dinamo Kiev 2-0, before losing 3-1 to Betis. Our final friendly was a 5-0 win over a lower league Russian team. But in that match, centre-back Gareth Vilakazi and right winger Tomasz Mroz both picked up injuries. They will both be out for up to three weeks.

There has also been a lot of interest in both our first choice central defenders. So far for Vilakazi it has just been rumours, but Sao Paulo tabled a £6m bid for Celsinho, who only joined at the beginning of the season for a fee of £3.9m. I rejected the offer, as at the age of 19, still settling into a new country and continent, he is only going to get better. I have also kept well away from releasing any kind of comment regarding the interest.

On a side note, Germany have won the 2014 World Cup, beating France in the final. Hosts Brazil went out at the Round of 16, and England crashed out at the quarter-finals, 5-1 to France.

Russian Cup 6th Round
Ural 0-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Miroshnychenko (33)
Vorobjov (pen 48)
A comfortable win against the First Division side. Juninho played 90 minutes on his return from Brazil, and had a solid game. The win puts us through to the 7th round where we will compete for a place in the quarter-finals, and I see this as a chance to win my first trophy in Russia.

Lokomotiv Moscow 1-1 Zenit
Taarabt (4)
We got off to a great start when Adel Taarabt gave us an early lead. But from there Zenit piled on the pressure, and we hardly got out of our half. They got an equaliser before half time, and we were quite fortunate to hang onto the draw. Although we did have a lot of injuries coming into the match, having to play a midfielder at centre-back, and only being able to name six substitutes.

Zenit+Saint+Petersburg+v+Lokomotiv+Moscow+He4-OEQoavSm.jpg

Spartak Moscow 1-3 Lokomotiv Moscow
Miroshnychenko (46)
Juninho (57)
Lakhiyalov (82)
Celsinho’s own goal gave Spartak Moscow the lead in the first half, but we managed to come back to win the derby match. At half time we needed a goal, so I switched to a more attacking system, and it payed off immediately as Miroshnychenko scored straight from the kick-off. Juninho then put us ahead with his first goal since his month off. And then in the last ten minutes, substitute Lakhiyalov spared us a nervy finish by adding a third. This is a big result, as it sends us above them in the table, and will hopefully give us some momentum.

It has been a reasonably good month for us. The win against Spartak Moscow was our best result of the season so far, and we have made good progress. But unfortunately, Celsinho has become the latest player to announce his trouble settling in Moscow. This is the third player it has happened to in the last year, leading me to think my destination for next season may be away from Russia.

Not a bad series of games, you will definately be there, or thereabouts come the end of the season!

August 2014

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 Moscow
Juninho (16)
Sadaev (76)
Juninho got us off to a great start, and from there we went on to dominate the match. FC Moscow had a man sent off just after half time, and it was a good job we were already winning, because with ten men they could have been hard to break down. But they had to go for the equaliser, and we didn’t allow them any chances. Sadaev killed the game off late on, and I was pleased with both the result and the clean sheet.

Russian Cup 7th Round
Lokomotiv Moscow 1-0 Krylja Sovetov
Muniesa (37)
A comfortable win, but we didn’t manage to really kill the game off. Muniesa headed in from a corner to win us the match, and he also hit the post. We will now play Spartak Moscow in the quarter-final.

Lokomotiv Moscow 1-1 Krylja Sovetov
Juninho (43)
We played Krylja Sovetov for the second time in four days, this time in the league, but this time we could only manage a draw. Juninho continued his fine form, putting us ahead just before half time. But in the second half the hero of our last meeting, Muniesa, conceded a penalty which they scored from to level. I did rest a few players for this match, playing a 16-year-old in the centre of midfield, but I still expected a win.

FC+Lokomotiv+Moskva+v+PFC+Krylya+Sovetov+Samara+zJYSQN1o1Fdm.jpg

Chernomorets Novorossiysk 0-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Lakhiyalov (54)
Vilakazi (84)
A comfortable win against the newly promoted team who are currently bottom of the league. It was made easier when they had a player sent off before half time, and when we took the lead they never looked like coming back.

Lokomotiv Moscow 1-0 Saturn
Juninho (55)
A great goal from a Juninho who has re-found his top form was enough to earn us the win. It was a tight match, but one we had to win and one we did. Our defence also seems to be improving, as we haven’t conceded in two games, so hopefully that will continue.

Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+Saturn+Moscow+Oblast+Premier+BCNJbYO9Idfm.jpg

CSKA Moscow 2-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
O.G. (63)
A very disappointing loss against our rivals for both me and the fans. CSKA took the lead in the first half, forcing me into changing to a more attacking mentality at half time. It worked as Alexey Berezutskiy headed into his own net. But just three minutes after the equaliser, Vagner Love found himself one on one with the keeper and won the game for CSKA Moscow, who are still unbeaten.

It has been a mix and match month in which we have never really performed extremely well, but ground out some decent results. I was disappointed with the Krylja Sovetov draw since we beat them just a few days earlier in the cup, but the back to back wins shot us up the league. It doesn’t look like we will be able to finish in the top two and qualify for the Champions League, but should finish in the top five and qualify for the Euro Cup.

Algeria

4125_1257048750umb9.jpg

In the last few weeks, Algeria have played a few matches. The first was a friendly match against Uruguay, as I aimed to test the team against the kind of opposition we will hopefully be facing in the 2018 World Cup (I know it’s long term planning). The second was an African Cup of Nations qualifier. We have been drawn in a group with Djibouti, Sudan and Burundi, so we should be able to qualify no problem. And finally we had a friendly against Kuwait.

Friendly
Algeria 1-2 Uruguay
Ouali (47)

African Nations Qualifying
Djibouti 0-4 Algeria
Linganzi (3, 67)
Achiou (21)
Ghezzal (38)

Friendly
Kuwait 0-2 Algeria
Ziani (19)
Ghilas (56)

The Uruguay performance was good, as I feel we did enough to win the game, having 18 shots and creating 3 clear cut chances. The Djibouti performance was even better, as we dominated the match. I was particularly impressed by Blackburn defensive midfielder Linganzi, who scored two superb goals, his first for his country. Ghezzal’s goal was even more impressive, as he struck the ball into the top corner from 30 yards. The Kuwait friendly wasn’t really much of a test. We controlled the game and scored two goals, and that’s about it. But things are looking good for the African Cup of Nations.

Only just found this story now. Read it all the way through and it is superb!
I'll be following you all the way through your story :) keep it going mate

Thanks for all the comments. September update is coming shortly.

As for the ACN, it isn't for one and a half years, but I am confident :).

September 2014

Lokomotiv Moscow 5-0 Spartak Nalchik
Aliev (3, 24)
Sadaev (12)
Mroz (34)
Rios (89)
We were on fire today, and so was Aliev (who I just realised is right footed and has been scoring all those left footed goals). We were already 3-0 up when they went down to 10 men after 27 minutes, and we went on to score another two. This is possibly the best I have seen this team play, as we just kept creating chances, and they seemed to be enjoying it. Unfortunately though, in the post-match press conference I was asked if I will be giving Juninho another leave of absence, as he still isn’t settled.

Amkar 1-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
Miroshnychenko (81)
A decent result against the team one place above us, although a win would have put us into 4th. When we went a goal down after 69 minutes, I thought it might have been too late to salvage anything, but Miroshnychenko latched onto a through ball to equalise.

Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+Amkar+Premier+Liga+ujX_rnuJelzm.jpg

Shinnik 0-3 Lokomotiv Moscow
Mroz (21)
Celsinho (28)
Juninho (34)
Clinical finishing won us the game today, as we only had three shots on target and scored three goals. And for the second time in three matches, we led 3-0 at half time, but this time that’s the way the score stayed. Mroz put in a man of the match performance, but picked up an injury which will keep him out for three weeks.

This has been our best month of the season, as we were on top form. We haven’t moved far up the table, but we are keeping up the pressure on the teams above us, and it is very tight with four points separating 3rd and 6th. We have three very winnable matches next month, and I hope to take maximum points.

View attachment 88966

October 2014

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 Tom
Juninho (62)
Miroshnychenko (74)
We started October how we ended September, with a comfortable victory. It took us a while to break the deadlock, but once we did, we played some great football. Plus, it is always nice for a manager when both your strikers score in the same match.

Kuban 2-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Juninho (19)
Vilakazio (38)
I don’t know how we didn’t win this one. We were 2-0 up after 38 minutes, one minute later they pulled one back, and they equalised in the second half. And the once it was 2-2, we first had a goal disallowed, and then Taarabt hit the post. So it was a disappointing draw, but at least we didn’t lose.

Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+Kuban+Krasnodar+Premier+qRBed3R5w7dm.jpg

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 Rostov
Aliev (8)
Celsinho (pen 59)
We bounced back with another solid win against inferior opposition. Aliev got yet another goal, and Celsinho killed the game off from the penalty spot.

After another unbeaten month, we are looking very good. It is still very tight at the top of the table, but it looks as if 2nd is just out of the question now. But we have only lost twice in 25 games, and are just a point off 3rd. We have a very tough November ahead of us, though, as we play our final five league matches.

Algeria

African Nations Qualifying
Algeri 5-1 Burundi
Achiou ( 6 )
Boudebouz (19)
Ghilas (45, 67)
Ziaya (82)

We had one match for Algeria this month, and it was another brilliant performance from the team. 21-year-old Achiou continued his fine form for his country with a brilliant individual goal, and he is firmly cementing his place in the team. Hull’s Kamel Ghilas also got his chance in the side due to injury, and grabbed it with both hands, scoring two goals and looking dangerous all night. So we sit top of the group after two matches, taking six points, scoring nine goals and conceding one.

(End of Season Update) November 2014

Dinamo Moscow 1-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
Juninho (47)
On reflection, we were probably a bit negative today. Dinamo Moscow are currently 3rd from bottom, and if we really went for it we probably could have won the game. It looked like we were going to when Juninho gave us the lead, but their equaliser shortly before the hour mark was the signal for the game to fizzle out.

Lokomotiv Moscow 0-0 Rubin
It was important we didn’t lose today, as Rubin would have leapfrogged us in the table, but we had a fantastic opportunity to win the game after 76 minutes. We were awarded a penalty, but Rios’s spot kick was saved. Just four minutes later, it got even worse, as Roman Vorobjov was dismissed for a second bookable offense, and the game ended goalless.

Zenit 2-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
O.G. (28)
Zenit took an early lead through Alessandro Rosina, the player I voted for player of the year. Twelve minutes later, Alan Hutton gifted us an equaliser when he turned the ball into his own net. Soon after our equaliser, Zenit took the lead again, and we could never recover. It was a disappointing result as it means we fall to sixth place.

FC+Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+FC+Zenit+St+Petersburg+thpbAuEZrxXm.jpg

Lokomotiv Moscow 1-0 Spartak Moscow
Celsinho (pen 74)
We created a lot of chances in this Moscow derby, but it took a penalty to break the deadlock. It was a great win against a very good team that puts us above them and into a Euro Cup place. It was tense as Celsinho placed the ball on the spot, as it was at almost the exact same time as Rios missed a penalty at 0-0 against Rubin. But the young centre-back kept his nerve and gave us the derby win.

Moscow 0-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
Miroshnychenko (27)
It was a good performance and a good victory, but it could have been a lot more convincing. We created five clear cut chances and had two goals wrongfully dissalowed. When Dujmovic was sent off after 56 minutes, I thought we might have conceded an equaliser, but we continued to dominate the match.

So a fantastic end to the season moved us up to 3rd place, the highest we had been since the 3rd week of the season. And with it, we have qualified for next season’s Euro Cup. We actually finished the season unbeaten at home, and only lost three matches away from home, but our 12 draws (the most out of any team) cost us. Although CSKA Moscow and Zenit both had fantastic seasons, and another season our record may have been enough to nick second.

resignation.png

Just a few days after the end of the season, I resigned from my post as manager of Lokomotiv Moscow. I think I did a decent job, without setting the world alight. When I took over, the club were 8th half way through the season. We finished 7th, and then in my first full season we finished 3rd, and only went out of the Euro Cup to Manchester United. Here is a summary of my time in Russia:

lokomotivcareerhistory.png

I still feel it was the right decision, as I never really completely settled in Russia, and I didn’t bring in a single new coach. I was very pleased with my signings, however, and it will be tough to part with players like Juninho and Celsinho. But the fact those two players were having trouble settling in convinced me I had no real future in Moscow.

So I now start the process of job hunting for the fourth time. I was being linked with various jobs in Argentina throughout last season, and that looks like a very possible destination. Strangely, I was also linked with the Barcelona job, should Guardiola decide to let his contract run out at the end of the season. But we will just have to wait and see.

It is starting to get frustrating. I have been offered a couple of jobs in South Africa, the MLS and a debt-ridden Real Zaragoza, but the job I am trying to hold out for is Banfield. Their manager's job is "very insecure", but he is a club legend.

I think you shuld rule South africa out cus u have been their and won that lol so i feel that MLS may be gd choice and where is Banfield