Goals Galore 2010 - It's back and it's banging 3 Goals/Game

Sounds like a mint tactic. Will defiantly give it a go, im just paranoid about conceding goals:$

What about that recently suggested tactic for centre backs? One on man marking and one on zonal?

Ok, so i have been tweaking around FM10 and i realised that my theory works even on fm 10, i had played fm08 and fm09 using this defensive theory and conceeded less than 15 goals a season.

Basically my 2 centrebacks have this strange combination that works perfectly. But the centrebacks have to have good attributes of heading, first touch, aggression, tackling and etc. They only need to have the key attributes, Pace, acceleration, passing and etc. are not important.

So the formula is one defender man marks, while the other marks zonal. Both must have tight marking on. How it works? Defender A sticks onto forwards whilst Defender B marks players who come into that area of the field. And during this marking, through balls are snuffed out by the zonal marker, and oncoming player runs are stopped and intercepted by the Man marker.

Simple yet effective. Both defenders are normal centreback with defend duty, not ball playing,sweeper or etc.

Try it and please let me know if it doesnt work, i want to perfect my centreback pairing.

Closing down,mentality and creative freedom are the same levels, which is 4 or 5.

Sounds like a mint tactic. Will defiantly give it a go, im just paranoid about conceding goals:$

Honestly, unless you got super backs, the team will concede 1-2 goals.
At the same time they will score 3-4 goals. Haha
Still, I'm not giving up and still tweaking the defense

Yes the defense. it's my homework. Definitely added to my first post
My Homework: this is the space space where I put things that needed improvements.
1. Defense: Opponents getting round defenders quite easily.

What about that recently suggested tactic for centre backs? One on man marking and one on zonal?
Thanks for the post there mate. Haven't seen that. *Newbie to the forum* :)

Will definitely try it asap.
Gonna give the results tomorrow. *Here is almost 12 at night* :D

Btw testers are welcome and feel free to post results or tweaked suggestion .

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Phew, was the forum down? I couldn't post. It took like 15 minutes to change pages.
Anyway..

Couldn't sleep so decided to experiment the backline..

The one posted is not effective for me somehow.. So I decided to twist here and there.

First of all, regarding my home work..

Turn off Tight Marking -> the main reason backs getting round too easily especially by good dribllers (AMC and FW)

Duty : set to Defend so it is more 'balanced' and a possibility of offside trap (although doesn't set)

since the tactic got DMC who pretty much running up and down chasing the ball there's no need for stoppers.

Defender A will 'defend' basically and try to win the ball from enemies that get into our defence area. This guy mentality is defensive but having more closing down compared to the typical 'defend' duty but not as much as a 'stopper'. This is your typical 'complete' defender with good concentration and decision.
Defender B will drop a little deeper (just like cover duty) and sweeps out balls that get through and closes down any guy who chases it. What I did was lowering down the mentality and closing down. That's why pace and anticipation is VERY important.

Having man marking for B is not effective since he will only focus on FW and might leave open the 'other' FW or attacking midf.
That having said, Defender A can't play on man marking as well since it means that he will leave another guy open in case the opponent switches play and got through or vice versa. *Well you get it right? I'm too lazy to explain this clearly and detailed*
So it's better to be 'flexible' with the marking using zone marking.

And if that's not enough, there is still the sweeper keeper that will closes down in case Defender B fails. Warning : Rushing Out, decision and acceleration are important. If these criteria are low, turn it back to normal goalkeeper.

If you are sick of the facts and analysis.. Let's get right to the results shall we..
On the first 7 games, including against Sevilla in UCL, and a home game against MU - I only conceded 1. Lucky Milevsky he got a goal from distance.

The next 7 games, one of my defender got injured and he is already the back up. My 'A' defender is already injured way before. So I have to use my right back as center back. Got conceded 4 in the that 7 games which includes 3-0 win away at Villa Park, 4-0 home win against Chelsea and 6-1 home win again Wigan.

Btw for this 'test' I did 'cheat'.
Cheat as in reloading back to a certain date for each set of tactic.
I did experiment with 6-7 combination of different set of defensive modification.
To ensure reliability, I have to 'cheat' so that all other variable (easy/hard opponents) is eliminated and really just focus on the actual effect of the tweak.

So basically I did 15 games of the same opponent over and over for 6-7 times.
Phew.. what a happy and NOT SLEEPY manager I am now.
It's 2 a.m btw :)

Will upload the tactic tomorrow so you guys can check it out and give it a run.

Last edited:
A lot of well respected people have given a thumbs up.

Kudos on that, I'll try your tactic with a new save tonight - then I'll give feedback.

Sounds good Koflok, the uber tactic is within your grasp :D

Wow i feel honoured about my theory being mentioned here, i used your tactics and i destroyed my opponents 4-0,5-0 and one 7-2. And just a tip, you can use my defensive theory to sort the defence out, i kinda combined it both and ive scored 57goals in 23 games, conceding only 12

Wow nice. A clean sheet! And away game against Arsenal.
Is it the regular tactic or the one that has been tweaked defensively?

A lot of well respected people have given a thumbs up.

Kudos on that, I'll try your tactic with a new save tonight - then I'll give feedback.

Sounds good Koflok, the uber tactic is within your grasp :D

Thanks guys. Looking forward for your feedbacks.
Well is no uber.. yet :p
Still a lot of room for improvements. :)

Wow i feel honoured about my theory being mentioned here, i used your tactics and i destroyed my opponents 4-0,5-0 and one 7-2. And just a tip, you can use my defensive theory to sort the defence out, i kinda combined it both and ive scored 57goals in 23 games, conceding only 12

Yes. The mix do work a like a charm.
I didn't use the exact theory but you can say it's the base of my own defensive tweaks.
Thanks man you've done it! :)

Oh, man... words don't come easy!

Used your tactical instructions and Reggaezal's defensive hints to create a deep 4-2-3-1 (2 DMs). First game of the season (season #1) ag. Chelsea at the Stadium of Light:

Sunderland 6 (SIX!!!)
Chelsea 2

Will report later on how other games go.

Cheers!

****. So jealous of you creating such an amazing tactic.
Stats after i changed to this tactic: 7 games, 7 wins, 33 goals, 5 conceded.
3-0 Chelsea with this tactic. Normally with my tactic it would be a tight affair like 2-1 or even a loss.

Overall, a tremendously amazing tactic. Almost 5 goals a game (of course my team is liverpool so this may not seem extremely great.)

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

btw why is it that when using this tactic, my dm always gets red carded? my dms are sissoko and mascherano and they had already 3 red card in 8 games with this tactic. And all the sending offs are due to second yellow card (persistant fouling).

@TheAncient : thanks man.

@angs123: haha new homework detected. thank you for the input.
but it's pretty straightforward. make your DMC tackling on normal.
i thought mascherano is suitable on hard tackling. i guess not then.

btw does your DMC done its job? men get around him easily or not?

The clean sheet was a regular tactic mate.

Wow nice. and when I thought the tweaked one should be released immediately...
somebody got a clean sheet! hahas.
It's still on testing though. Will come out with some modification here and there.

Be sure to test it out when it is completed :)

Thank you.

For all.
Need an input here.. does the DMC should mark zonal or man?
Marking man is effective when they play an AMC, but when there's 3 the DMC could left open the other star player.
Meanwhile zonal is effective for closing down basically everyone, but it lacks focus on the 'number 10' player.

im using this for my sunderland game and we do really well in the first half and got three of four up yet in the second half we always end up losing waht am i doing wrong

if you dominated on the first half and destroyed in the 2nd half.
i reckon it has something to do with the half time team talk.

tactic-wise. i will have the 'retain possession' ticked on when i'm that far and substitute tired strikers for an extra midf/def mid.

nice. zaki scoring seems to be a usual thing by now. haha.
steven taylor is not dmc right?

tackling and long shots should be configured according to player's ability.

angs123, just fine your players when they get red cards, they will learn :D

This tactic is superb!! I just destroy Standard Liege in European Champions League with My Manchester United team by 7-2!! Fabio da Silva, Simon Vukcevic and Anderson scored their first goal because of this tactic!! Greatest tactic I've ever seen

can you upload the stats of your forwards and wingers? thanks alot