Golyam Oblak, Maluk Duzhd - Story of a Bulgarian Journeyman

Joss

Reaction score
xlyo14.jpg

The pressures of football management, for some at least, are too much to bare. For Igor Matiak, however, the case is the opposite, the ex-Bulgarian international thrives on the attention he has received, throughout his career as a footballer, and now as he enter the beautiful game for one last stab at at the big time, as manager of Bulgarian Second Division side; Akademik (Sofia).

Matiak enjoyed a successful, if quiet career whilst he was still playing, he made his 116 international caps with no fuss, scoring just short of a half century of goals for his country (46 to be precise). However, you say his name in a crowded parisian street, and people will walk by, perhaps assuming your mad, with no recognition of the name, which almost 2000 kilometres North-West in Sofia, Bulgaria - means the world. This - he says - is the reason he has gone back to his hometown, to be back with his family, where he "belongs". The death of his wife of 13 years in a tragic accident didn't help matters.

Matiak looks back fondly on his time with ex-model Amélie, the woman he met whilst playing in his one and only European game, the final of the 2001 UEFA Intertoto Cup. He remembers having to fill in for the best striker in France at the time, Dominique Green Angel Rocheteau, who had taken ill the night before. Unsurprisingly, he also remembers scoring the opener, the goal that took Paris Saint Germain into the UEFA Cup, as it was then called, to compete with the likes of Liverpool, who missed out on the biggest competition the rivals Leeds Utd. The goal that is remembered by him, is also remembered by millions of others, although inevitably it seems not for the same reasons. The pass from Ronaldinho was exquisite, the young brazilian in his first season at the club was already the best midfielder in the world, if not the best player overall. The Brazilian looks to his left, and in an instant, the ball lands at Matiak's feet 8 yards out, on the right... he's left with the simplest of finishes, but his first shot is straight at the keeper, who spills it, and he gets another chance, this time, he finishes it, smashing high into the roof of the net, and almost breaking it. Still though, the Bulgarian is unknown by fans and media alike.

Now then, Matiak has the chance of a lifetime to get the fame he arguably deserves, albeit still 8000 miles away. When asked if he is worried that this new adventure will not be the success he hopes it will be, he smiles, brimming with confidence he says:
"In Bulgaria, we have a proverb. It says: 'Golyam Oblak, Maluk Duzhd - Big Cloud, Little rain' it means, not to be afraid of an upcoming challenge". With this, he shakes my hand and walks out of the door, and out of France, for the time being at least.

Last edited:
Good start - like the way you edited the L'Equipe headline to include this story as well, great attention to detail!

Thanks Djh, appreciate any feedback. Closed for now.

Might be closed but I can still post mwaahaha

Very enjoyable opeing and a great title, very rare on fm-b.

Very good OP Joss. Excellent start. Definitely following. :)

*​

My head was killing me, all these ****** reporters, desperate for me to answer their questions: "Why Sofia?", "How long do you plan on being here?", "Doesn't this represent a massive misjudgement on your behalf?:
Maybe that shot of vodka wasn't a good idea afterall, i was hoping it would calm me down going into my first ever press conference as manager of Akaedmik (Sofia). I was nervous as ****, and i didn't know what to do.
Amelie Would.
She Always Knew What To Do.
How i miss her... i cried almost incessantly when that doctor came out of the ER, he had that look on his face, and i knew, he tried to tell me how everything was going to be OK, did i need any help? There are professionals for these things. But everything went in one ear, and out the other.

I sat down on the hard chair behind the curtains, and shook my head. Downed a glass of water, and went out into the sunlight, piercing my eyes. I walked over to my crappy FIAT, opened the door, and just sat there, keys in the ignition, hands on the wheel, foot on the accelerator, not moving, just thinking. Not in France, i thought - there i'd have a swanky porsche - had i made the right decision? Too late now though, no turning back, i'd made a decision, and for once in my life, i wasn't going to look back, not like i did when i moved to Paris in 1999, when i made a fuss about my lack of publicity and playing time after that goal, my only one for the club. PSG was the end of my career, Sofia was the start of my playing career, and now my managerial one too. With that thought, i drove back home, slowly and quietly.

**​

The next morning, i drove to the training ground, 16 miles from my home, my parent's house in Hram Sveta, Sofia. I switched on the radio, and tuned into 75 year old BNR Radio Bulgaria, the news came on accompanied by a catchy theme tune, more of a jingle. A football expert was talking to the broadcaster about the new season, it crackled over the airwaves, and i listened intently:

"I think Akademik have an important season ahead of them, having been relegated to the Bulgarian B Professional Football Group, they must achieve automatic promotion ---crackle--- very competent manager in Matiak, a legend of the game, he has already gained his UEFA coaching badges, and knows everything there is to know about football, but of course, he will be strapped for money and the question is whether he can achieve what is needed at the club with those limits, and i think------

I'd heard enough, "competent"! My face lit up, as i pulled into the car park at the training ground, and walked in through the doors, for my first training session. For the first time since Amelie's death, i felt happy, glad to be here, and confident i'd made the right choice. I got changed, and jogged out in rough tracksuit bottoms, white socks pulled up over the bottom, old, muddy addidas trainers, with proper studs. I had put on an old gym shirt, until someone came in, and pointed out i had my very own training top, IM sewed into the breast, with a blue and white stripe across the chest.

*​

Brilliant update mate. I will certainly be following.

Excellent Joss. A gripping story that will get better and better!

:wub: it! :)

Some more comments and i'll do another update :)

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

*​

We walked through the park in Forêt d’Orient Natural Park, licking our ice creams and enjoying the sun without a trouble in the world, talking about Ardennes and the club. She always liked listening to me talk about football, happy as long as I was – not that she understood most of it. The wind blew at her red skirt, and she held her hat on her head, and skipped along ahead of me.
“Viens ma chérie, amusez-vous! Le soleil est enfint sorti!”
“Come on my darling, enjoy yourself! The sun is finally out!”
Her face lit up with excitement as I took a step towards her, and she continued to skip, and spin away from me until…
A screech. Then Silence. I ran towards her, and picked up her limp body in my arms, screaming at her to wake up, but nothing, she was dead the moment the car hit her.
The blue Citroën. The car that drove away when it killed my wife.
**​

I drank away the last of my sorrows with a fifth shot of vodka – from the bottle cap – and cringed as I downed it, spilling it over my shirt and chin.
I couldn’t sleep that night for thinking about the accident, and called my assistant manager in the morning to say I wasn’t going to come in, and could he take training, he respectfully obliged without comment. I had to do something though, so I called my scouts, and told them to look out for some players, a destroyer in midfield is essential, as is a left back and a right winger. Our current left back is nowhere near up to standards, with the aim of promotion this year; we must build a team ready to play in the Bulgarian “A” Division. Patrice M’Bock is an option – a Cameroonian available on a free, but I’d rather stick to a Bulgarian team who can speak to one another, and make gelling that much easier. Next was a right winger, our only player capable of playing there, is a left footed striker. Anyone else is just cover in a fairly small squad, unless I can pick someone up of real quality. 19 year old winger Hristov is desperate to leave his current club, in the league above, whether he’d come is a doubt though, and at 10k or more, he may be too expensive.

Again very good and deatailed update.
I think it's good when we see an insight into the manager's personal life as you have done with his wife.
It's a good idea and well executed story.

Excellent update Joss. What's so bad about it? :)

Keep up the top work. :)

Again very good and deatailed update.
I think it's good when we see an insight into the manager's personal life as you have done with his wife.
It's a good idea and well executed story.

Thanks. I think i may have put too much about her too soon, i'm running out of ideas :(

Excellent update Joss. What's so bad about it? :)

Keep up the top work. :)

Your too kind :D

You'll be fine mate,
I know you'll make it interesting (Y)

If i get enough comments i could get an update in tomorrow morning probably! Only if there's interest.

Apparently there's not :(. Please guys, if you read can you comment, it's brilliant motivation and i always want to know people are following!

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed the opening updates to this story, it's well written, interesting and different. I'll definately be subscribing buddy.

Don't let yourself get downhearted by a lack of comments, lots of people will be following this without commenting for sure. Besides, I think you've got good support from some of the most constructive FM-basers.

Keep up the good work mate, it would be a shame to see this end. As an advocate of the journeyman style of playing the game I reckon you are going to have fun with this. :)

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed the opening updates to this story, it's well written, interesting and different. I'll definately be subscribing buddy.

Don't let yourself get downhearted by a lack of comments, lots of people will be following this without commenting for sure. Besides, I think you've got good support from some of the most constructive FM-basers.

Keep up the good work mate, it would be a shame to see this end. As an advocate of the journeyman style of playing the game I reckon you are going to have fun playing this game. :)

Run out of likes, but i "like" this...

Thanks for subscribing, i hope you can comment sometimes too!

I'm not too downhearted, it's only just started so i have plenty of time to rake in the readers! And, i do, but only because i told them about it ;) (And now another one ^^))

It's not ending! I just don't like to update until i know people are around, otherwise it will go for ages without a comment! I'm enjoying the challenge already, not quite as tough as your September one though! Interesting finding players on frees and loans and not just being able to fork out £25million for a player or proven quality.

:) Thanks for the comment!

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

gallery_boardroom.jpg

*​

The transfer window has been open for two weeks now, and we've made steady progress both on and off the field. We've managed to get in nine players who i think can really take this club to "A" division, and i haven't spent a penny of the 3.5k the board gave me. With a win and a draw from the first two games played with an almost entirely rebuilt team i am content with the formation and tactic.

I went into the boardroom a week ago confident as a result, stopping before i entered through the wooden panel doors, to stand up straight, and brush down my suit and tie. I was aware of Manol Velev's reputation as a difficult man to work with, but the way he and his directors sat at the table, slumped in their chairs, drinking whiskey and smoking thick, brown cigars immediately gave me the impression they didn't think this club was going anywhere any time soon.

"Sit down Mr. Matiak" he said in his low, rough voice.
I sat down and he coughed heavily on his cigar - a smoker's cough - not bothering to cover his mouth, and spitting all over the dirty papers spread out in front of him, which he promptly wiped off with his sleeve, and proceeded:
"An impressive resumé Matiak..." he gave another cough, heavier this time, and bent over the long, rectangular table, as Managing Director Atanas Ivanov continued. He was a tall, skinny man - in charge of finances and all things money at the club:
"Your qualifications, and uh, most importantly your wage demands mean that you were the ideal candidate for this job Matiak, however the board have already expressed their disappointment with the previous manager for last season's performance, and relegation, for this reason we fully expect you to win the "B" League and secure automatic promotion to "A" League. Thanks for your time Matiak, your season budget and confirmation of our expectations will be faxed to you in the next couple of days. You can go now..."

I tried to argue: "That's ridiculous" i said, "This is a revamped squad, they need time!....." I continued arguing, but they'd stopped listening and already they were heading out of the door to the back of the room. Back to their expensive cigarettes and whiskies i thought.

**​
Almost a week later, they sent an e-mail to my assistant, which she promptly passed on to me, without comment.

It read:

Manol Velev has considered the financial situation of the club, and decided, in his generosity to give you 3.5k to spend for the season. This budget will not be increased, nor will it be increased next year, should you decide to save it. Velev has added that, in his opinon, you are lucky to have this sort of backing at the club, considering your experience, and apparent dislike for himself.

-------

***​

'****...' I said quietly, almost to myself. Almost - My assistant looked up from her desk:

"Coffee? Black? No Sugar?". I accepted gratefully with a nod of my head, but it wasn't until she returned with my cup, that i realised i didn't know her name. I had been so wrapped up in the football since my arrival, i hadn't taken the opportunity to know those who were to be closest to me.
I cleared my throat, as if about to give a speech, feeling stupid, and old, and asked her.
"Sonya Bachev" she said quietly. I nodded, as if in approval of her name, as if anything else wouldn't have been appropriate, and walked out of the door, too

If i get enough comments i could get an update in tomorrow morning probably! Only if there's interest.

Apparently there's not :(. Please guys, if you read can you comment, it's brilliant motivation and i always want to know people are following!

It's not about comments, it's about good writing, just because we don't post after every update,doesn't mean we are not hear :)

just try and remember that :)