Golyam Oblak, Maluk Duzhd - Story of a Bulgarian Journeyman

"I think the signings Mr. Matiak has made can take this club back to where they belong on their own..."
The voice of radio pundit Ivan Bogdan crackled as i tuned into the radio on my way home from work..
"The main problem area was at left back, and he has acted quickly to bring in young Shenol Galip, a youngster who had been released by Loko (Mezdra) in "A" Division, he is an exciting player, solid defensively and quick, so he likes to get forward too. Akademik have a real chance to gain automatic promotion this year..."

I switched off the radio as i pulled into the small concrete car park outside my new flat. At 55 i was embarrassed that until very recently, i had been living with my parents.. I had nowhere else to go.. money in Bulgaria was hard to come by anyway, especially in my new found profession and with a chairman like Mano Velev backing me. Velev had made no secret of his desire to sell up and move on. Since the club had been relegated he had grown tired of his plaything.

*​

I had just played my first friendly, my first game in charge of the second tier Bulgarian side, my home town side and the club i had supported and had the joy of playing for, before my unhappy move to France. I had settled with a wide 4-2-3-1 in the end, Samir Ayass would push up into the 'hole' and Nikola Bozhnov would come deep to link up with the young playmaker, two natural wingers would come deep, then run at the full backs with their pace and trickery. The final score against the reserves was a solid, if unimpressive 1-0. Of all people, the right back, Ivaylo Vasilev had tucked the ball under the keeper after a quick free kick and a through ball from Ayass. We dominated the whole game though, and as poor as the reserve team is - that's always a plus. In the 83rd minute, Ayass was instrumental again, playing the ball into the area from the centre, and as Bozhov took a touch, 20 year old Harizanov went to ground and brought down the big striker. Penalty said the referee, and as i hastily pulled out my Sony-Eriksson camera phone, captain Nikola Asenov stepped up, and smacked the penalty straight down the middle, but straight at the keeper.

*​

I stepped out of the car, and as i locked the door, i caught a glimpse of something in my side mirror. A young girl behind was running, bag in hand, pursued by a big blonde man, and another, smaller but still muscular man in all black, including a balaclava. Behind them, a black van parked next to the main road.

The girl was petite and was clearly distressed, even from a distance of around 30 metres. She stopped for a second, trying to balance herself as she removed her high heels, but this gave the men behind her time to catch up, the smaller man got there first, and tried to grab her, but she wriggled loose of his grip and proceeded to hit him with her shoes, as she did so though, the bigger man came up on her, a brute of a man, he looked about 6' 6" at least, dark blonde hair and a body that looked like it belonged to 'Jaws' from the old Bond movies. The second man succeeded in restraining the girl, picking her up in a sort-of 'bear hug' kicking and screaming he carried her over to the van as the first man inspected the damage of his bruises.. and as he did so, he caught sight of me - i had just been staring at him, there was a pause for a second as we both considered our options, then he started to walk towards me, making sure his balaclava was covering his face, and he reached into his inside jacket pocket, all sorts of things went through my head, and sure enough, i saw the handle, and the shiny barrel of his glock as he drew it, and then pointed straight at me as he continued towards me.

"Andrei!" Shouted a third man, the driver of the black van, leaning out of the door.
Andrei ignored his comrade's shouts and took firm hold of his gun with his left hand now supporting his right hand gripping the handle, still pointing it at me, i was petrified, and couldn't move, looking around for options i saw no escape route. The man took something else out of his pocket, and screwed what looked like a silencer onto the front of his pistol..

"Politsiya!" The driver was distressed now, eager to get the attention of his partner in crime, this time the man seemed to pay more attention, stopping and turning around, before turning back to me, and having a quick look around. He took aim fired..
..finally my body gave way and i was able to drop to the floor as one round smashed my car window, and another flattened my tyre.

I lay down on the floor, and saw the man's feet as he turned and ran back to the van which sped off with the sound of police sirens not far off. My ordeal was over, and i slumped against my car for a full ten minutes before finally collecting the nerve to move towards my door, still crouching and let myself into my warm, safe flat.

Tell me what you think guys, i don't think it's my best update, but hopefully you still enjoyed it! I haven't quite got into the football side of it yet, simply because i felt i should update before people lost interest despite not being very far into the game!

Last edited:
No idea mate, really busy atm, will update whenever i can, but they may be a little sporadic.:/

Take your time lad, no rush. Those following will always look out for the stories they like.

NO! I just updated and lost it! ******.

Here we go again.
I'm going for a change of font so tell me what you think..
---------------------
CHAPTER 1

It had been almost two months since i shared a firm handshake with Pierre Ballester, the L'Equipe journalist who marked my move from the sunny hills of Ardennes to the damp dugout next to the 112 yard plastic pitch, covered in frost from the notoriously cold Bulgarian winter. The inevitably tough month had been made no easier by my lack of sleep - i hadn't slept in 48 hours and the bags under my eyes were worse than ever - and the incident with the gunman. Naturally i'd reported the incident with the girl and the black van to the police, but after nearly a month, the Gendarmarie had yet to call me back, welcome to Bulgaria i thought...

*​

The shooting had left my mind almost as soon as it was over, with football taking up the majority of my time. A turbulent pre-season was over and i was feeling confident, having finally managed to push my nerves aside. I would be happy with a draw. 5 wins and 3 losses meant i'd had a stressful first month in charge, switching tactics and formations as i struggled to get the best out of my team, they began to gel though, and a 1-0 win against Bulgarian "A" Division side Pirin was a particular highlight, Keteterov had put the ball in the net after a lovely through ball behind the defence from attacking midfielder Samir Ayass.

In contrast, a 4-1 loss to Kaliakra was an embarrasing result for a team which should be a division above. Young striker Kaloyan Stoyanov was starting to impress though, after his loan move from Pirin was confirmed, he had hit 2 goals in just 3 appearances, really providing a challenge to Nikolay Bozhov who had responded by hitting two of his own, this time in four starts. Having tested with a 4-4-2, playing on the counter and a 4-2-2-2 i had decided that in actual fact, a 4-2-3-1 was the best option, looking to control the game with short passing seen at the top European clubs.

*​

With pre-season over, all that was left was to face my first Bulgarian Western "B" Division match and first up was former "A" Champions 1924 Etak, a club who on paper, we should be able to beat but 90 minutes lay ahead and i knew all too well how much could happen in that amount of time.

"Sgovorna stipendiya, Mount povdiga."

"Union makes strength."

I allowed myself a smile as i walked down the only just constructed tunnel, I remembered Amélie and how much she hated my constant and fairly meaningless regurgitation of my mother's proverbs. She admitted though that she thought it was "cute" how my mother's grip on me was as strong as ever from halfway across the world as i settled down in Ardennes.

How i miss here, but football was the more pressing issue right now, and it was important to get off to a good start, or Manol Velev would surely be on my back before i'd even started. The 2000 strong crowd gave a roar as the team jogged out in tracksuits onto the pitch, followed by me, followed by the other team. (There wasn't enough room in the tunnel for both sets of teams side by side...)

I closed my eyes in anticipation, then the whistle and my players kicked off, left to right, in white and yellow stripes, a horrible kit would look significantly better if the ball was ended up in the opposition net.

Last edited:
NO! I just updated and lost it! ******.

Here we go again.
I'm going for a change of font so tell me what you think..
---------------------
Is this it?

Brilliant update Joss. :)

Last edited:
Once again Joss, a fantastic update. Just read into it more and it is 10/10. Keep it up! :)

Great update, and looking forward to the match report... it's a nice trick to leave the punter's wanting more!

Once you've got your tactic set I'm positive that you're going to do well. 4-2-3-1 is the way to go, I never could get 4-2-2-2 to work properly.

Interested to see if events with the gunman will get worked back into the story later.

Keep up the good work bud... and nice font btw ;)

Wecome to Bulgaria... Quality mate, glad to see you back

Thankyou, glad to have you following as always!

Once again Joss, a fantastic update. Just read into it more and it is 10/10. Keep it up! :)

Thankyou, uh x2. Brilliant compliment coming from you...

Great update, and looking forward to the match report... it's a nice trick to leave the punter's wanting more!

Once you've got your tactic set I'm positive that you're going to do well. 4-2-3-1 is the way to go, I never could get 4-2-2-2 to work properly.

Interested to see if events with the gunman will get worked back into the story later.

Keep up the good work bud... and nice font btw ;)

And from you! (You too FBP, just decided on it at that point...) match report will be tomorrow probably..

You never know! But the Bulgarian Police don't seem bothered...you know what police in Eastern Europe are like surely? ;)

Thanks, and yeah... I like it, just picked it out from a whole bunch of crappy ones... All my idea, didn't copy your font or anything :p

Sorry I don't come on the site as much as I used to but every time I come on I read up on your's and Ed's stories, two of the best imo.
And again you don't dissapoint with a fantastically detailed piece of writing with a good storyline.
Well done Joss.

Yes!

Potential to be one of the best stories on the site. The student has surpassed the mentor. ;) |)

Yes!

Potential to be one of the best stories on the site. The student has surpassed the mentor. ;) |)

Aha, i don't think so my friend. But that is probably the biggest compliment you could have paid me, so many thanks!

i love this story m8 the layout and presentation and also the content is class :) would u take a look at mine would love some feedback :)

i love this story m8 the layout and presentation and also the content is class :) would u take a look at mine would love some feedback :)

Thanks mate, comments like that really motivate me!

And will do mate.

Looking forward to the next update Joss. :)