Holloway!

to be honest wenger wouldnt make my top 10 either

I honestly can't see why.

For me:

1. SAF (Pains me to say so)
2. Mourinho
3. Clough
4. Shankly, probably.
5. Wenger - At LEAST top 5 for me. I know i'm a gooner and thus bias, but he has achieved brilliant things on a limited budget (whether this is through his own making is neither here nor there, he hasn't splashed the cash, fact)

Tbh, the top 10 IMO are all pretty close. Bob Paisely, Bill Shankly, Busby and certainly Capello have to get a mention.

Sir Alf Ramsey, though > *

In no particular order.....

Busby
Shankly
Alf Ramsay
Fergie
Wenger
Mourinho

Yes. + Capello and a couple of others..

1. SAF
2. Jock Stein (name another manager that has won the european cup with a team built of players all from within 30 miles of the clubs stadium)
3. Bill shankly

Best ever?

Shankly
Ferguson
Clough
Stein

Those four best by a mile, in no particular order.

Can't believe Wenger is one of the ''best managers ever'' :S

In no particular order:

• Ferguson
  • Busby
  • Mourinho
  • Michels
  • Cruyff
  • Sacchi
  • Chapman
  • Paisley
  • Shankly
  • Clough

wenger would still be below the likes of stein, del bosque, lobanovsky

Really? Wenger doesn't make the top 10? I know you're a Utd fan but seriously..

OK, he's not won anything for 5 years, and OK he moans a fair bit, and OK he won't give in to public pressure and buy a strong CB but he remains the only manager (as far as I know) in England to lead a team unbeaten for 49 games - A season and a half unbeaten + plenty of trophies and beautiful football + a reputation for developing top young players and getting the best out of them, but Pep Guardiola who has Lionel Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, (now) Villa and a ridiculous amount of money to spend gets #2 for winning a league it's difficult not to with those players.

tbh Wenger may have done all those things but:

1. He has never won the Champions League; the most prized trophy in European Football

2. He has hardly won any trophies this decade, the likes of Chelsea have won more and we have been under Roman for 6 years i think

3. He may have a great record with youngsters, we all agree on that

I think most people dont rate Wenger because he has never won the CL in all his time at Arsenal, I am pretty sure that if Wenger does achieve that before he retires then he will make my top 5 but right now:

1. Sir Alex Ferguson
2. Jose Mourinho :wub:
3. Brian Clough
4. Sir Matt Busby
5. Bill Shankly :wub:
6. Jock Stein

Wenger has no place among those names tbh

Last edited:
1. Tomislav Ivić
tomislav-ivic-za-gol-hr-hajduk_216211.jpg

Often described as a brilliant strategist, Ivic is credited with helping develop the modern style of the game. In April 2007 the Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport proclaimed him as the most successful football manager in history, due to his 8 league titles won in 6 different countries.

Sir Alexander Chapman "Alex" Ferguson
SirAlexFergusonGettyCliveMason2.jpg

With 24 years as manager of Manchester United he is the longest serving manager in their history after overtaking Sir Matt Busby's record on 19 December 2010. His tenure is also the longest of all the current League managers During this time, Ferguson has won many awards and holds many records including winning Manager of Year most times in British football history. In 2008, he became the third British manager to win the European Cup on more than one occasion.
He was knighted in 1999 for his services to the game and also holds the Freedom of the City of Aberdeen.

3. Brian Howard Clough
brian-clough.jpg

An English footballer and subsequently football manager, most notable for his success with Derby County and Nottingham Forest and his 44 day reign at Leeds United. His achievement of winning back-to-back European Cups with Nottingham Forest, a moderate provincial English club, is considered to be one of the greatest in football history.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Clough#cite_note-1Charismatic, outspoken, and often controversial, Clough is widely considered to be one of the greatest managers of the English game and the greatest English manager never to manage the English national team.

In no particular order;

Bill Struth, effectively built a football club, our club's tradition, dress code, and honours list would not be half as magnificent if not for him. He won 18 league titles in total, including 14 in 19 years before WWII, at a time when Scotland was as good a league as any other. He revolutionised Scottish football, with attacking football, something Walter Smith would do well to take note of.

Jock Stein, great manager, who won the European cup with a fairly average side, with a few world-class players. They were all born within 40 miles of Parkhead, and it showed his devotion to the game that they all ended up at their local team. He was generally succesful wherever he went, leading Dunfermline to very respectable finishes in the league.

Ottmar Hitzfeld, quality manager, who I love the way his teams play. Had many a notable success, and has a tendency to rise again when his teams fail.

Giovanni Trapattoni, seven Serie A titles, a Bundesliga, whilst playing some fairly pleasing football on the way. I'm amazed he still isn't considered among the top notch Italian coaches, though to be fair, he's up against genuine quality.

Vicente Del Bosque, I love this man; his football is awesome to watch, and he made a team out of the "Galactico's". It could be argued Real Madrid made the biggest mistake in their modern history sacking him, even after two European Cups and two La Liga titles.

Jose Mourinho, the Special one ;). I like his arrogance personally, and he is a tactical mastermind, Inter's victory over Barcelona last year was frankly inspiring. Had many a success, including the notable Champions League victory with Porto, and I'm sure he will have many more to come :D

Alex Ferguson, top quality really what he's achieved. Nurtured 3 generations of Manchester United teams, and had a helluva lot of success along the way. He never looks lost, and always remains calm, even when the chips are down, top quality man.

Arsene Wenger- Worked miracles on a shoestring budget, even if, the shoestring budget was imposed by himself :$ Plays football the right way, it's glorious to watch at times, and is a very keen pupil of the game. Also a very bright man off the field by all accounts.

I also reckon Pep Guardiola could join this lot soon enough, if he keeps it up :)

Alex Ferguson Not because of what he done with ManU what he did with Aberdeen oO)

Walter Smith as considering what he has to work with he has made some team at Ranger :D

Alley McCoist will be a brilliant manager

fergie...think how long he has been there...every single one of the other big clubs in the world have sacked a lot of managers around him over the years..he stayed put..cause he is good enough to win something every year...unique
bobby...you know why. untouchable