Greatest Manager of All Time - Your Opinion

for me it has to be jock stein he done 9 in a row
he made celtic the 1st british & only scottish team to win the european cup & winning the league league cup scottish cup & glasgow cup all in 1 season with players from 30miles from glasgow
he also runners up in the champions league & countles other trophys as well
yeah maybe lead in this decision by the fact im a celtic fan but had he done the things he did with any other club than celtic he would get the recognition he deserves god bless him

Busby pretty much made Man United what they are today. So him.

Honorable mentions to Ljupko Petrovic, Bill Shankly, Fergie, Brian Clough and Ivic.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Matt Busby, Sir Bobby Robson

1: Bill Shankly

Has to be for me, the best ever, obviously bias, but all Liverpool supporters are going to put Shanks or Bob, depending on their priorities. Shankly took over a Liverpool side (in the second division) which was hardly going places. Melwood was in a poor state of affairs and Liverpool needed something special to turn the situation around. Shanks came in and changed the whole phiolosphy, rebuilt the team, renovated Melwood, and in turn brought Liverpool success. Shanks won 3 league championships, was 2nd twice, won 1 UEFA Cup and a European Cup winners Cup. Not a massive amount of leagues, no champions league, but he built a Liverpool side from nothing and with little funds. Simply, Liverpool would not be where we are now without Shankly.

2. Bob Paisley

Again, a lot of reds fans would say Paisley is the best ever. An old Liverpool saying is, 'Shanks built a great side, Paisley had success with it'. Although Paisley came in and was sensational for Liverpool. He played his whole career at Liverpool and eventually became manager (although he was reluctant to). His record speaks for itself really, 6 league championships, 3 European cups, 1 UEFA cup, 1 FA cup, 3 League cups, 1 Super cup, 4 Charity shields, and he was runner up in these competitions numerous times. Bob Paisley certainly does not get the credit he deserves, an absolute Liverpool legend.

3. Brian Clough

This guy is certainly one of the best ever. From the same era of Shanks and Bob, and they all had massive mutual respect for eachother, and right so. He led Derby County from a the middle of division 2, to division 1 champions. However, his most notable success came at Nottingham Forest. Cloughie, as he is affectionately known, won promotion in his 2nd season as Forest manager, and won the league cup, and the league in his first season in the first division. An absolute legend of a manager, and his charisma and outspoken comments made him a real media and public favourite.

4. Alex Ferguson

As much as I hate the man, he is one of the best managers ever. Well up there with the best, and after great success with St Mirren and Aberdeen in Scotland he transformed Manchester United into one of the best teams, and clubs in the world. Even during transitional phases, United continuously win silverware. Everyone respects this guy, even the most bitter Liverpool and City fans, and rightly so. An absolute legend of a manager.

5. Rinus Michels

A revolutionary manager. The creator of 'total football' and the offside trap, simply, one of the most intelligent managers ever. He achieved great success with Ajax, and did well at Barcelona alongside Johan Cruyff. Unfortunately his Holland side were beaten in the World cup final '74 but he showcased his total football yet again with his native country and 1988 he won the Euro Championships. A legend of the game and is aspired by many, including Pep Guardiola, Arsene Wenger and Ottmar Hitzfeld.

Will add to this list when I can be arsed, in no particular order by the way, just some of the best ever managers in world football. :)

No idea how people are mentioning Wenger and not Shanks :|

1 ferguson
2 rafa great job he did at valencia
3 jose mourinho
4 Del Bosque
5 brain clough
6 Wenger
7th stuart pearce
8th fabio capello club level
9 sir matt busby
10 don revie

Last edited:
Rinus Michels was a manager ahead of his time, and his tactical ideas still exist within Barcelona 30 years after his reign. The man invented total football.

Ernst Happel was a phenominal manager and surely deserves a mention, guiding relative minnows Feyenord and Hamburg to European titles.

Herbert Chapman also did a lot for Arsenal and the tactics of the game. He was key in the redevelopment of Highbury and implementing new ideas such as travelling abroad for friendlies, signing a foreign player (I think) and developing floodlights, among other things. He also had a lot of input towards the offside rule I think

1 ferguson
2 rafa great job he did at valencia
3 jose mourinho
4 Del Bosque
5 brain clough
6 Wenger
7th stuart pearce
8th fabio capello club level
9 sir matt busby
10 don revie

I really hope your at the wind up with this list XD Rafa 2nd ahead of Clough ?? Stuart pearce in before Jock Stein ? Honestly ? Hope you never come into money and buy a club.

Sir Alex Ferguson without a doubt!

22 years now and he still doing better then any manager, every year fans stop believeing and then he provides the goods, producting talent every season. Raised some of the best (Beckham, Scholes, Giggs) and them saying hes like a father, says it all.

Sir Alex Ferguson = Greatest manager (n its not just because i support united)

Fergie
The Special One
Lippi
Busby
Guardiola

No particular order

Also for everyone saying Wenger Wenger Wenger.......

You say Wenger with the Invincibles but shouldn't good managers (and teams for that one) be consistent and always win, not just win for a bit and go "yup thats it no need to do anymore, coz we must be the best after that". That is why I don't rate Wenger. You say he nurtures youngster but he hasn't nurtured many highly successful players the only ones I can really think off are Fabregas, Cole, Thuram Wilshire and Walcott but the last two haven't really cracked it yet. Now other managers that I rate which are managers like Fergie and Guardiola and possibly Rikaard have nutured many world class stars, I don't need to start a list do I?

How can people mention Wenger, Guardiola etc, and not mention Stein, Shankly, Sacchi...?

Jock Stein, Alex Ferguson, Pep Guardiola, Walter Smith, **** Advocaat.