Gunning for Glory: My Arsenal Story

November 30
Thoughts From the Manager

The perfect response from the team for the month of November. We took 15 out of a possible 15 points, scoring 18 goals and conceding just 1 during the 5 games.

View attachment 219380
English Premier League

Our real test for the month was our game against over-achieving Fulham. The players did well to prove to me who the stronger of the teams was, taking all 3 points at Craven Cottage.

Two strong performances against weaker league sides were also important, as taking maximum points against teams we should be beating will lead to success in the table, as any dropped points against the lower half of the table is what will ultimately decide our season.

We now are lying in 4th​ spot, a position I am pleased with. Unfortunately, we are already 8 points adrift of leaders Manchester City, who have yet to lose a game and have scored 33 goals and conceded just once in 13 games.

Robin van Persie still tops the scoring race for the league with 11 goals, 3 clear of Yaya Toure.

Our spectacular month was capped by Theo Walcott winning Player of the Month honours, and Gervinho finishing in third place behind keeper Joe Hart.

Oh, and did I mention I won the Manager of the Month award? No big deal...

View attachment 219383
English Premier League Table
View attachment 219382
English Premier League Statistics
View attachment 219381
November Player of the Month Award Winners

Champions League
Our best performances continue to come on European nights. Two victories (with clean sheets) over the two weakest teams in the group means we have taken maximum points in the group stage this far.

Thanks to results elsewhere, our main rivals Shakhtar cannot mathematically catch us even with a win on the final matchday. This is great news, as we will have the opportunity to rest some important players and give others a chance to get the feel for the Champions League.

View attachment 219384
Champions League Table - Group D

Preview
The Christmas schedule is always a hectic one, and our most important game of the month will be the New Year’s Eve clash with Manchester United. We will hopefully be able to get some revenge for our Carling Cup loss to them earlier in the month, and specifically get one over Fergie.

View attachment 219385

December 3
English Premier League: Matchday 14

View attachment 219838

ARSENAL 0 – 0 WOLVES

A game in which Arsenal dominated, but were unable to find a breakthrough against some solid defending from Wolves.

View attachment 219839
Aaron Ramsey attempts a shot against Wolves, but neither team were able to get one past each other

Arsenal dominated possession throughout the game, but were unable to breakdown a compact Wolves side. Wolves’ Roger Johnson gave Arsenal a scare late in the game when he headed the ball off the crossbar, but the game remained scoreless until the end. Arsenal lacked creativity in midfield and were forced to take just a single point at home.

View attachment 219840View attachment 219841
December 6
Champions League: Matchday 6

View attachment 219842
ARSENAL 0 – 1 SHAKHTAR

In a meaningless game for both clubs, some poor goalkeeping from Lukasz Fabianski resulted in a 1-0 victory for Shakhtar. With Arsenal having top spot in Group D already confirmed and Shakhtar qualified as runners up, Arsenal gave many of the first team players a game off.

View attachment 219846
Lukasz Fabianski reacts to the goal he conceded

Arsenal’s second keeper Lukasz Fabianski got the call between the sticks, and was at fault for the only goal of the game when Jadson’s cross/shot from the far right was defelcted into the net from a rather embarrassing own goal. The goal brought back memories for many Arsenal supporters of a previous blunder from the ‘tendy.

More importantly for Arsenal than the game itself, was that it gave manager Andrew a chance to take a look at reported transfer target Willian. Rumours have it that the Brazilian is looking for a move to a bigger club, and that Arsenal are keeping an eye on the player.

View attachment 219845View attachment 219844
December 12
English Premier League: Matchday 15

View attachment 219838

SWANSEA 0 – 4 ARSENAL

Robin van Persie’s incredible form this campaign continued with another brilliant performance against Swansea.

View attachment 219847
One of many times Robin van Persie was able to break though some pourous Swansea defending

Arsenal started the game quickly grabbing a goal before the 5 minute mark. A high cross was played by Aaron Ramsey, and Robin van Persie was able to get his head to the ball before an on rushing Michel Vorm from just inside the 18 yard area.

Arsenal doubled their lead on the half hour mark when van Persie fought off defender Ashley Williams and Mikel Arteta played a nice ball in towards the forward who bagged his second of the game from 12 yards out.

Van Persie completed his hat trick on 65 minutes, scoring a long shot past Vorm, the keeper with no chance.

With 10 minutes remaining, substitute Marouane Chamakh got his name on the scoresheet after picking up a lose ball when Andrey Arshavin was fouled.

View attachment 219845View attachment 219844
December 17
English Premier League: Matchday 16

View attachment 219838

ARSENAL 1 – 1 LIVERPOOL

A rivalry appears to be in the making between these two clubs, and particularily in the war of words between the two managers. With Liverpool sitting in 9th​ position in the league, manager Kenny Dalglish’s job security has come under question by the board. Arsenal manager Andrew addressed this in the pregame press conference where he described Dalglish’s managerial ability as “a little suspect”. Dalglish responded just hours later stating that his team were ready to defeat Arsenal in their upcoming game.

From the war of words to the war on the pitch, Arsenal started the game very promisingly. Completly against the run of play, Thomas Vermaelen brought down Luis Suarez inside the box. Liverpool’s skipper Steven Gerrard stepped up and fired low and to the right past Szczesny to give Liverpool the lead.

View attachment 219850
Liverpool were making Robin van Persie tightly all game, but eventually the striker got the best of his markers in scoring the game tying goal

Arsenal pressed and pressed for an equalizer, and it took until the 81st​ minute before they found one. No surprises as Robin van Persie was the one to level the game after a shot from the top of the box beat Pepe Reina.

Arsenal came away with a single point from a game they really should have won. Pepe Reina was spectacular in net for Liverpool as Arsenal were able to create chance after chance, but only put one past the world class keeper.

View attachment 219849View attachment 219848
December 20
English Premier League: Matchday 17

View attachment 219838

ARSENAL 3 – 0 WEST BROMWICH ALBION

Arsenal continued their strong run of form with a 3-0 victory over midtable West Brom.

View attachment 219853
Robin van Persie's first goal of the match came from a stunning free kick

Arsenal earned a freekick in a dangerous position 27 minutes into the match. The Gunners set up as though Robin van Persie was going to swing the ball into the box, but instead the striker smashed the ball into the far corner, an absolute screamer from the captain.

4 minutes later, Gabriel Tamas brought down van Persie who was in on goal in a very dangerous area. Van Persie stepped up and calmly kicked the ball to the keepers left for his second goal of the game.

On the 40 minute mark, Szczesny’s long ball found van Persie who had come slightly deeper to collect the ball. Turning and quickly finding Gervinho on the left side, the Ivorian side footed home past the keeper to take a 3 goal advantage into halftime.

A quick turn from Andrey Arshavin early in the second half saw Tamas again haul an opposing player down in the area, though the defender did not receive a booking for either foul. Fortunatly for WBA, Robin van Persie, who was on a hattrick, missed the penalty blazing the ball over the net by some 10 feet.

Not a perfect performance from the Gunners, but a good result. Substitute Diaby picked up another injury just one month after his return and will miss the next 3 weeks.

View attachment 219852View attachment 219851
December 26
English Premier League: Matchday 18

View attachment 219838

BOLTON 1 – 2 ARSENAL

Bolton had their chances, but Arsenal were clinincal with theirs and came away from the Reebok with a big 3 points.

View attachment 219856
Theo Walcott got Arsenal off the a quick start, scoring inside of 10 minutes

Bolton manager Owen Coyle had spent much of the lead up telling the media that his club was going to win the Boxing Day clash with Arsenal. Robin van Persie was one yellow card away from a suspension, so the Dutchman started from the bench with an important game against Manchester United on the horizon.

Theo Walcott
gave Arsenal a fantastic start with a great passing play with fellow wingman Gervinho. Marouane Chamakh almost doubled the lead inside of 10 minutes, but saw his shot smack the post.

Kevin Davies
levelled the game for the home side on 12 minutes after a nice cross from the left coupled with a strong downward header.

35 minutes in, Marouane Chamakh regained the lead for Arsenal. Theo Walcott dribbled down the right and crossed a ball to the back post, where the unmarked Chamakh calmly tapped home.

Unfortunately, Gregory van der Wiel picked up a knock and will miss the trip to Old Trafford in one weeks time. A fantastic Christmas present for Arsenal manager Andrew, while Owen Coyle is forced to eat his words and accept defeat.

View attachment 219855View attachment 219854

Last edited:
A good string of results here. Tough loss againt Shakhtar though.

Walcott is performing really well for you. Keep it up.

could you post the league table up with every update? i thought you normally do? so was wondering why it went missing this past update :) looking forward to your january update with possible transfers.

Wow what a story love how it isn't a omg I'm so good at footie manager ! Story even tho they download there tactics etc. is really realistic to the arsenal set up with the youth transfers, great presentation everything in HD really, just top notch. Please keep it p. lastly want to do another story after the success of my last years, 'the king is dead, long live king kenny' but should I do a fulham or Wigan one, would prefer a team that may struggle etc :)

Wow what a story love how it isn't a omg I'm so good at footie manager ! Story even tho they download there tactics etc. is really realistic to the arsenal set up with the youth transfers, great presentation everything in HD really, just top notch. Please keep it p. lastly want to do another story after the success of my last years, 'the king is dead, long live king kenny' but should I do a fulham or Wigan one, would prefer a team that may struggle etc :)

Fulham won't struggle in FM unless your doing something wrong with tactics or whatever , from my experience anyways. ( I managed them for 3 years in my story save ). So i would go for Wigan out of them two choices , but its a challenge your after i would suggest Bolton , in my save they are always struggling.

As for the story , fantastic work mate. Loving it.

could you post the league table up with every update? i thought you normally do? so was wondering why it went missing this past update :) looking forward to your january update with possible transfers.

yea could you post the league table?

Usually post the League Table with every "Thoughts From the Manager" section, which is usually every other post. I have one more update for the month for the game against Manchester United (nice long writeup), then after that game I will update the tables, hope you guys don't mind the wait!

Thanks for the kind words man. Ya I'm not really a fan of downloading tactics or training schedules, just doing what I think is right, that's the point of playing isn't it, giving it a go with your own attempts, and not someone else's.

Agree with Seano, out of those two have a go with Wigan, will be a real challenge to keep em up and get them some success. Goodluck with whoever you choose, and will be looking for your story!

Fulham won't struggle in FM unless your doing something wrong with tactics or whatever , from my experience anyways. ( I managed them for 3 years in my story save ). So i would go for Wigan out of them two choices , but its a challenge your after i would suggest Bolton , in my save they are always struggling.

As for the story , fantastic work mate. Loving it.

Thanks man, big fan of your story as well!

December 31
English Premier League: Matchday 19

View attachment 220145

Manchester United 1 – 1 Arsenal: Arsenal Sneak Away from Old Trafford with a Point on New Year’s Eve Clash

One of two extremely intriguing games (Tottenham take on Machester City later tonight), on a day which saw all 20 Premier League teams in action.

View attachment 220147
No shocks from the United camp when the team sheets were published, as Wayne Rooney started alongside Javier Hernandez. Park Ji Sung was deployed on the right side of a 4 man midfield to combat the strong recent play of Gervinho.

Arsenal made a few changes to their starting 11, all of which were tactical manoeuvres to counter United’s strong attack. Steven N’Zonzi was preferred to Aaron Ramsey in midfield to add some steel to a usually more creative midfield. Andre Santos has struggled thus far to adapt to the English game, and it appears Andrew does not trust his defensive ability, so Thomas Vermaelen slid over to left back, and Johan Djourou partnered Per Mertesacker in the middle.

The Red Devil’s were flying to start the game, and almost opened the scoring just 2 minutes in. Wayne Rooney got up for the early corner kick but only managed to find the crossbar with his header. The opening 10 minutes were a nervy time for Arsenal and their supporters, and they rarely saw any of the ball and were forced to defend with everyone behind the ball.

Arsenal’s first chance of the match came 35 minutes in, as Theo Walcott beat Patrice Evra in a sprint to a loose ball at the top of the box, but David de Gea was aware and quick to cut the angles down as the winger found side netting.

Minutes later, United were unlucky to not take the lead, as a third attempt came off the woodwork and stayed out of Arsenal’s net. Ryan Giggs’ free kick took a massive deflection of the wall, looped over Szczesny and softly came off the crossbar, and quickly cleared near the line by Bacary Sagna.

The two sides went into halftime with the scores locked at 0-0, but the home side was controlling the majority of play, Sir Alex must have felt disappointed to not be leading the game by multiple goals.

View attachment 220148
Manchested United captain Nemanja Vidic looks on after putting the ball past his own keeper

10 minutes after the break, Manchester United put the ball in the net, but unfortunately for them, it was past their own keeper. The shot by Mikel Arteta was right at de Gea, but the keeper was not able to control the rebound and it sat in front of him for what seemed like an eternity. Opposing captains Robin van Persie and Nemanja Vidic raced to the ball, the defender attempted to clear the ball away, but instead knocked it into his own net. A real surprise lead for Arsenal, as they had been defending for almost the entire game.

United continued to pressure Arsenal’s back line, and just after the hour mark, the home side leveled the game. Mexican international Javier Hernandez beat the sluggish Mertesacker to a lose ball to the left of the Arsenal net, and shot the ball towards the net. Szczesny appeared to be caught off guard by the shot from such an acute angle, and the ball found its way into the top of the net for a deserved United goal.

View attachment 220149
Javier Hernandez levels the game for Manchester United after relentless pressure

As the final 10 minutes came and went, United were relentless with their attacks, but Arsenal began to create chances for themselves on the counter. Both keepers kept the game level late on, and Arsenal manager Andrew will be pleased to come away from Old Trafford with an important point.

“We were really unlucky to not take all the points today” said Sir Alex Ferguson, “Their keeper played really well this afternoon, not really much more we could have done to grab a goal. To hit the post once or twice in a match is just bad luck, I don’t know what you would call hitting it three times.” When asked why he chose to not make a single substitution, “The boys were playing well, why change anything. They are all fit enough to run for the entire game, so I just felt there was no need to make an unnecessary change."

Arsenal manager Andrew appeared happy to take the point away from home, but was not as pleased with how few times his team tested the opposing keeper. “At Old Trafford, it’s very difficult to win, so I am happy with the draw. Unfortunately, we played quite defensively today and created far too few chances.” When asked about Wojciech Szczesny’s performance, he described it as “magnificent” and referred to him as “the side’s most important player for today.”

Manchester United were clearly the stronger of the two teams, but failed to take their chances, and they will have to wait for the late game to find out if they will drop more points to rivals Manchester City.

View attachment 220152View attachment 220151

get otamendi for 14 mil release clause just a thought please keep this going

Decemeber 31
Thoughts From the Manager

A very busy schedule for the month of December. We were able to go undefeated in games which meant something, as the Shaktahr game was purely for bragging rights.

View attachment 220491
English Premier League

12 points from a possible 18 is a respectable return, especially when taking into account two tough games against Liverpool and Manchester United. We were defensively sound this month, and continue to get strong performances from the likes of Bacary Sagna and Thomas Vermaelen.

We have slipped in the table to 5th​ position, but hold a significant 6 point lead on 6th​ place Fulham. Manchester City continue to top the league standings on 48 points, 6 points clear of Spurs and 11 points clear of us.

Robin van Persie still has the most goals in the Premier League with 17 in total, 5 more than his closest rival Didier Drogba. Incredibly up to this point, van Persie is averaging more than a goal per game in the Premier League.

A quick point of note, Robin van Persie placed third for December’s Player of the Month Award, scoring 6 goals in 5 appearances for the month.

View attachment 220494
English Premier League Table

View attachment 220493
English Premier League Statistics

View attachment 220492
December Player of the Month Award

Champions League

Really pleased to have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League. With two games to spare, we secured qualification, and with a game in hand, we won the group. Our Matchday 6 clash with Shakhtar was meaningless, and a 1-0 loss is nothing to be disappointed with.

View attachment 220495
Champions League Group D Table

Just a couple of weeks after the group stages were completed, the Champions League Round of 16 Draw took place. We have been drawn against German side Bayer Leverkusen. Not the weakest side we could have gotten, but I was pleased to avoid the likes of AC Milan or FC Porto.

View attachment 220496
Champions League Round of 16 Draw

FA Cup

The FA Cup: Third Round draw took place early in the month, and a very fortunate draw for us as we will play a home game against AFC Telford. I know next to nothing about their team, other than they don’t play in the top 4 leagues in England, so I am expecting a pretty easy victory and for us to advance to the next round.

World

Just a few interesting awards as the end of the year honours are handed out.

Cristiano Ronaldo beat out Barcelona’s finest in Messi and Xavi to win the World Player of the Year Award.

View attachment 220498
2011 World Player of the year Award

Unfortunate for Robin van Persie to not make the starting 11 for the World Team of the Year. Tough to beat out Lionel Messi for the lone striker spot, but really would have preferred to see Messi in an attacking midfield position with Fabio Coentrao being left out in place of our captain.

View attachment 220497
2011 World Team of the Year

January 1

View attachment 220715
TRANSFER UPDATE: Arsenal Open January by Signing Brazilian Youngster Felipe Anderson

Arsenal have continued with former manager Arsene Wenger’s philosophy by investing in youth, as Brazilian youngster Felipe Anderson has joined the London club for around $8.5 million. The deal had already been sealed sometime in 2011 under new manager Andrew, and with the transfer window again open, the transfer was made official this afternoon.

View attachment 220714
Arsenal have signed Santos youngster Felipe Anderson for $8.5 million

Felipe Anderson joins from Brazilian side Santos, where he made 7 appearances since breaking into the first team in 2010. He has also made appearances in the Brazilian National First Division during a loan spell with Gremio, where he scored his first senior goal. Felipe Anderson was also a key contributor for Brazil’s Under 20 World Cup victory in 2011.

“We are very pleased to announce the new signing of Felipe Anderson.” said manager Andrew. “We had scouted him during the summer and even before I arrived at the club. Our scouts had nothing but positive things to say about the player, so we made an offer to Santos, and it was accepted.”

Arsenal has signed the player to a three and a half year deal at $7K per week, and will join up with Arsenal’s strong Youth Academy immediately.

Couple of small updates today, big update to come with our matchup against Chelsea!

January 2
English Premier League: Matchday 20

View attachment 220857

NEWCASTLE 0 – 3 ARSENAL

Arsenal were forced to change their shape early on, but it worked for the better in an impressive away performance against Newcastle.

Holding midfielder Alex Song was forced off with an injury within the opening 20 minutes, and without a “like-for-like” substitute on the bench, Arsenal changed to a 4-2-3-1 formation with Andrey Arshavin coming on in the middle of an attacking three.

Minutes later, Mikel Arteta’s corner kick was flicked on at the near post by Thomas Vermaelen past a helpless Tim Krul.

View attachment 220861
Laurent Koscielny "using his head" to put Arsenal ahead by two goals

On the stroke of halftime, another corner kick found its way into the back of the net, as center back partner Laurent Koscielny grabbed the goal, as he was left unmarked in the center of the area.

Arsenal grabbed a third 10 minutes into the second half when Robin van Persie flicked on to Gervinho, who beat his defender to the ball and slotted home short side.

Arsenal looked very dangerous going forward after the tactical change, and were also able to keep a clean sheet. Good news for Arsenal as Alex Song will only miss around a weeks time.

View attachment 220859View attachment 220858
January 8
FA Cup: Third Round

View attachment 220863
ARSENAL 5 – 0 AFC TELFORD

View attachment 220866Ryo Miyaichi was one of many Arsenal youngsters to get a chance to play in the FA Cup: Third Round

A fantastic display for Arsenal’s youngsters, as Arsenal’s depth in the youth system was on show in an FA Cup matchup.

The likes of Ryo Miyaichi, Alex Chamberlain, Emmanuel Frimpong, Ignasi Miquel and Carl Jenkinson all got starts against AFC Telford, a team playing in the Blue Square Division.

Marouane Chamakh scored two goals before the half hour mark, one off a low cross from Jenkinson, the other off a poor back pass that was picked off just inside the oppositions end.

Alex Chamberlain got in on the action after some sloppy defensive play by AFC Telford. The defender was slow to clear the ball, Chamberlain pounced and scored before the keeper even had a chance to react.

5 minutes into the second frame, Ignasi Miquel nodded home from a Miyaichi corner, scoring his first goal for Arsenal’s senior side.

Just a minute later, substitute Adam Mitchell was sent off for bringing down fellow sub Yaya Sanogo who was in on goal.

Yaya Sanogo grabbed his first in Arsenal colours by rounding a helpless keeper after being sent in all alone.

View attachment 220865View attachment 220864

Nice update!

Is that ball exploding on Koscielny's head?

January 15
English Premier League: Matchday 21

View attachment 221094
ARSENAL 1 – 2 CHELSEA: Chelsea Help Gunners Sing the Blues. An early Lampard strike and a Ramires Wonder Goal Help Chelsea Take the Three Points from the Emirates

A disappointing defeat for Arsenal, but positives to take from the match as they were able to take it to the Blues, and showed they can compete with the big boys of the Premier League.

View attachment 221095
Much to talk about prematch, as Arsenal came in just 1 point back of Chelsea who were sitting in 4th​ place in the table. The Gunners were looking to exact revenge for a loss to their rivals earlier in the season. Manager Andrew announced he would be using a more attacking philosophy for the upcoming match, as his team gave away far too many chances in the opening fixture between the two clubs.

Changes to each teams lineups, as Arsenal were without Marouane Chamakh and Alex Song due to their country’s involvement in the African Cup of Nations. Fortunately for the Gunners, the Ivory Coast did not qualify for the tournament, and thus Gervinho was available.

Chelsea instead were welcoming a new player, as former FC Porto winger/striker Hulk has recently joined Chelsea for $27 million. The Brazilian was given a temporary British passport just a day earlier, after turning down an offer from Manchester United to instead sign with fellow Brazil internationals Ramires and David Luiz.

Hulk marked his debut with a yellow card a mere 20 seconds into the match with a hard foul on Theo Walcott.

Arsenal got the first chance of the game when Gregory van der Wiel dispossessed Kalou, who quickly played Aaron Ramsey who spotted a streaking Theo Walcott on the right. Walcott’s cross was deflected by John Terry, who just got enough of a touch to put Robin van Persie off, and the Arsenal captain nodded just wide of the net.

Just minutes later, Frank Lampard gave Chelsea a lead. Kalou’s cross fell to the midfielder just inside the area, and Lampard shot low past the keeper.

Arsenal continued to create chances after falling behind, and the unlikely source of Steven N’Zonzi was next to test Petr Cech. A freekick from over 25 yards out was laid off to the defensive midfielder, and a low shot forced Cech into a tough save, parrying the ball for a corner.

With first half stoppage time approaching, Arsenal came close again. A quick counter started by Gervinho, who proceeded to play a pass back towards Aaron Ramsey. The youngster curled the ball towards the far post, but again Cech dived superbly to keep the ball out.

View attachment 221100
Ramies celebrates with Jose Bosingwa, after scored a stunning goal to help lead Chelsea past Arsenal

Arsenal were putting all the pressure on Chelsea, but a throw in deep in Arsenal’s end resulted in a shock two goal lead for the away side. The ball fell to Ramires at the top of the box, and the Brazilian not known for his long range shooting ability, struck a perfect curling shot into the top corner at the far post.

Arsenal were breaking down the Blues’ defense, but their finishing was letting them down, as van Persie again went close with 20 minutes remaining with a low shot across his body that just missed the far post.

View attachment 221103
Arsenal finally get one the board thanks to a Robin van Persie goal

Arsenal were finally rewarded with a goal when Bacary Sagna won the ball in the Chelsea end, then played a quick ball to Robin van Persie, who made no mistake tucking the ball in the far corner.

Arsenal had a chance late in stoppage time to level the game, but Ramsey’s volley from just inside the area went over the net.

The result will go down as a disappointing defeat for manager Andrew and his Arsenal squad. The home side dominated the game, and can go home knowing they only lost to a wonder strike from one of the most unlikely candidates in the hard working Ramires. Arsenal fall a further 3 points behind in their race to secure a birth in next years Champions League, sitting 4 points off the pace.

View attachment 221109View attachment 221108
Hey guys, let me know how you are liking the layout. Do you like the amount of writing, or should I maybe write a little bit less for most of the games and keep the long writeups like this one for the big occasions?

Thanks everyone!