Tried my best to recreate the 50's Hungary tactic, but so far no luck.
It should look something like this (red shirts): 3-2-3-2Just a few notable records from this team:
  • World Record: (June 4, 1950 to Feb 19 1956) 42 victories, 7 draws, 1 defeat – 91.0% winning percentage ratio.

• World Record: longest time undefeated in 20th and 21st centuries: 4 years 1 month (June 4, 1950 to July 4, 1954).
I will keep trying to recreate it, but if you want to give it a shot, i believe it will proove to be a challenge.
Best of luck.

I've tried this in the past and I will for SURE try it in FM15. My problem is always how to set up the roles for Puskas - I can never quite make it work, I might (once I've done all the other stuff) try it with Kocsis as Target/support and Puskas as Shadow Striker.

Trouble is, Puskas was SO good, it's hard to find a role for him in the match engine :D

Libero currently won't push forward enough. A Libero should burst forward and provide momentum almost in a reckless fashion. Basically a Trequartista who plays from the back. Currently, Libero just plays like an attacking Sweeper, gets to the centre circle and panics.

Right, right. I meant, does the tactic "work" and just the Libero not perform as intended?

I've been looking for a formation that uses one that works, just for the fact that I want to use one.

Right, right. I meant, does the tactic "work" and just the Libero not perform as intended?

I've been looking for a formation that uses one that works, just for the fact that I want to use one.

Oh it works brilliantly! :D

I wish I could post it - I mean I COULD post it but I won't. Like I said in the first post - it either fits the historical model or it goes in the bin.

If SI fix Libero, I'll post it ;)

Oh it works brilliantly! :D

I wish I could post it - I mean I COULD post it but I won't. Like I said in the first post - it either fits the historical model or it goes in the bin.

If SI fix Libero, I'll post it ;)

:'(

Please release your 1982 Brazil tactic for FM 2015!

Can't wait to try it in FM 2015!

Last edited:
BRAZIL 1970
View attachment 704834

On June 21st 1970 at the Azteca Stadium, Mexico City Brazil defeated Italy 4-1 to win the World Cup for the third time in a display so widely lauded that they have been called the greatest team of all time. For many years I've tried to recreate something close to that team in CM/FM and never quite cracked it. This is the closest I've managed and is finally worthy of release.

BASIC PHILOSOPHY - To play quick, short passing football designed to move the ball speedily from defence to attack. Possession is important but the team should be allowed to take risks in order to take advantage of attacking opportunities.

FORMATION - It's a little tricky to actually nail down what formation the 1970 team played. It could be argued that the manager Mario Zagallo simply picked the best players available to him and put them on the pitch. Nominally it was a 4-3-3 but in reality it was more 4-2-4 as Rivellino spent most of his time pushing forward from midfield, so that's what we'll choose for this exercise.

Because of the uniqueness of this team, I am going to try and recreate the style of play of each player, rather than positional roles. Of course, this won't turn your striker into Pele but I've tried to make the player roles reflect the way each individual player played in the latter stages of the tournament. I've used the team that played in the final.

FELIX - One of the most fearless goalkeepers of all time, Felix Milalli Venerando originally started playing in goal because he was the only one of his friends who didn't mind diving on the tarmac during games of street football. Rail thin and slight, he was the eldest member of the team in 1970. Perhaps his finest moments came against England.
Role - Sweeper Keeper - Defend

CARLOS ALBERTO - The Captain. It's widely considered that alongside Pele and Gerson that Carlos Alberto was really the coach of the 1970 side and that he dictated how the team should play. A marauding wing back who dominated the right side of the field, his moment of glory came with one of the most famous goals in World Cup history, thundering in a shot from the edge of the area after a sweeping move to make it 4-1. He was an uncompromising defender and brilliant attacker capable of exploiting the gaps left by Jairzinho.
Role - Complete Wing Back - Attack

BRITO - The vocal and physical heart of the Brazilian defence, Brito was as liable to pull off desperate last ditch tackles as he was to make calamitous mistakes. He was stretched to the limit more than once in the tournament, especially against England and despite lacking calmness needed by a defender and with his notoriously short temper holding fast, he held out brilliantly.
Role - Central Defender - Cover

PIAZZA - Originally a midfielder (and he played in midfield against Romania), Piazza was moved to defence to accommodate Clodoaldo in the team. Lacking in height, he could be easily exposed in defence and his refusal to engage in the 'dark arts' of a defender (he famously said 'I kick the ball, not people') didn't restrict his ability as a ball winner. He was nicknamed 'The Ball Thief'

EVERALDO - Outside of the Brazilian team, Everaldo was as much an attacking wing back as Carlos Alberto. For Brazil, he didn't have to be - he had Rivelino in front of him. As such, he would mostly become part of a back three when Carlos Alberto charged forward. He died in a car crash in 1974 and the gold star on club side Gremio's badge was added in his memory.
Role - Wing Back - Support

CLODOALDO - The team's fetcher and enforcer who found himself in that role almost by accident. A slight figure and chain smoker, by the end of the tournament he was finding the altitude and heat of Mexico physically draining which curbed his natural attacking instincts. He agreed that Gerson should, instead, do most of the attacking from midfield while he would sit back and cover. He sacrificed his natural game for the good of the team. A glimpse of what he could do was seen with his sublime dribble past 4 Italian defenders to start the move that ended with Carlos Alberto's goal.
Role - Half Back - Defend

GERSON - Lightning quick and possessing a ferocious shot, Gerson was the archetypal Brazilian regista. His ability to fire lazer like passes from deep in his own half could turn defence into attack in an instant. He was widely considered to be the 'brains' behind the 1970 team and scored in the final.
Role - Regista - Support

RIVELINO - One of the greatest dribblers of all time, Rivelino reveled in humiliating defenders with the ball at his feet. Nominally playing on the left of midfield, he spent so long attacking that he virtually played as a fourth forward. His trademark 'flip-flap' dribble was matched by his equally famous thunderbolt shot, pile-driver free kicks and luxuriant moustache.
Role - Inside Forward - Support

JAIRZINHO - Combining strength with blistering pace, Jairzinho scored in the 70th minute of the final to cap a performance that saw him score in every match of the 1970 tournament. A striker/inside forward/winger, Jairzinho's position was hard to nail down. He simply played wherever he needed to be at exactly the right time. One might qualify his position as a wide trequartista.
Role - Raumdeuter - Attack

TOSTAO - Like Clodoaldo and Piazza was forced to adapt his game to fit the tactical plan. He curbed his natural attacking instincts to act as a technically adept target man, organizing the game up front. He spent most of the tournament with his back to goal laying off subtle passes to Rivelino, Gerson, Pele and Jairzinho. He worked himself into the ground for the team as shown by his winning of the ball deep in his own half to begin the move for the Carlos Alberto goal in the final.
Role - Deep Lying Forward - Support

PELE - Pele is Pele. If you need to learn anything about Pele, go to Steam, right click on FM15 and click 'delete local content'
Role - Shadow Striker - Attack

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS -

Mentality - Attacking. We can't really have a Brazil 1970 tactic without it being Attacking, can we? If you want to, reign this back to Control and you should concede fewer goals. But I'm staying with Attack.

Team Shape - Fluid. Players need to contribute all over the park. The ones who don't have been firmly nailed in place.

Look For Overlap - To compel the midfielders to utilise the onrushing CWBs

Exploit The Flanks - No point having the CWBs set to Play Wider and then not use that space.

Play Narrower - But only the CWBS! Everyone else has to stay central.

Higher Tempo - It's Brazil. That ball has move through the transition phase as quickly as possible.

Shorter Passing - But it's not England. Lumping the ball forward is not acceptable.

Everything else is pretty self explanatory

Use whatever training takes your fancy (I use attacking movement). No opposition instructions are used.

View attachment 329409

View attachment 329410

Looks like pretty amazing work. Out of curiosity, did the Forest season happen pre or post patch?

BRAZIL 1970
View attachment 704834

On June 21st 1970 at the Azteca Stadium, Mexico City Brazil defeated Italy 4-1 to win the World Cup for the third time in a display so widely lauded that they have been called the greatest team of all time. For many years I've tried to recreate something close to that team in CM/FM and never quite cracked it. This is the closest I've managed and is finally worthy of release.

BASIC PHILOSOPHY - To play quick, short passing football designed to move the ball speedily from defence to attack. Possession is important but the team should be allowed to take risks in order to take advantage of attacking opportunities.

FORMATION - It's a little tricky to actually nail down what formation the 1970 team played. It could be argued that the manager Mario Zagallo simply picked the best players available to him and put them on the pitch. Nominally it was a 4-3-3 but in reality it was more 4-2-4 as Rivellino spent most of his time pushing forward from midfield, so that's what we'll choose for this exercise.

Because of the uniqueness of this team, I am going to try and recreate the style of play of each player, rather than positional roles. Of course, this won't turn your striker into Pele but I've tried to make the player roles reflect the way each individual player played in the latter stages of the tournament. I've used the team that played in the final.

FELIX - One of the most fearless goalkeepers of all time, Felix Milalli Venerando originally started playing in goal because he was the only one of his friends who didn't mind diving on the tarmac during games of street football. Rail thin and slight, he was the eldest member of the team in 1970. Perhaps his finest moments came against England.
Role - Sweeper Keeper - Defend

CARLOS ALBERTO - The Captain. It's widely considered that alongside Pele and Gerson that Carlos Alberto was really the coach of the 1970 side and that he dictated how the team should play. A marauding wing back who dominated the right side of the field, his moment of glory came with one of the most famous goals in World Cup history, thundering in a shot from the edge of the area after a sweeping move to make it 4-1. He was an uncompromising defender and brilliant attacker capable of exploiting the gaps left by Jairzinho.
Role - Complete Wing Back - Attack

BRITO - The vocal and physical heart of the Brazilian defence, Brito was as liable to pull off desperate last ditch tackles as he was to make calamitous mistakes. He was stretched to the limit more than once in the tournament, especially against England and despite lacking calmness needed by a defender and with his notoriously short temper holding fast, he held out brilliantly.

PIAZZA - Originally a midfielder (and he played in midfield against Romania), Piazza was moved to defence to accommodate Clodoaldo in the team. Lacking in height, he could be easily exposed in defence and his refusal to engage in the 'dark arts' of a defender (he famously said 'I kick the ball, not people') didn't restrict his ability as a ball winner. He was nicknamed 'The Ball Thief'

EVERALDO - Outside of the Brazilian team, Everaldo was as much an attacking wing back as Carlos Alberto. For Brazil, he didn't have to be - he had Rivelino in front of him. As such, he would mostly become part of a back three when Carlos Alberto charged forward. He died in a car crash in 1974 and the gold star on club side Gremio's badge was added in his memory.
Role - Wing Back - Support

CLODOALDO - The team's fetcher and enforcer who found himself in that role almost by accident. A slight figure and chain smoker, by the end of the tournament he was finding the altitude and heat of Mexico physically draining which curbed his natural attacking instincts. He agreed that Gerson should, instead, do most of the attacking from midfield while he would sit back and cover. He sacrificed his natural game for the good of the team. A glimpse of what he could do was seen with his sublime dribble past 4 Italian defenders to start the move that ended with Carlos Alberto's goal.
Role - Half Back - Defend

GERSON - Lightning quick and possessing a ferocious shot, Gerson was the archetypal Brazilian regista. His ability to fire lazer like passes from deep in his own half could turn defence into attack in an instant. He was widely considered to be the 'brains' behind the 1970 team and scored in the final.
Role - Regista - Support

RIVELINO - One of the greatest dribblers of all time, Rivelino reveled in humiliating defenders with the ball at his feet. Nominally playing on the left of midfield, he spent so long attacking that he virtually played as a fourth forward. His trademark 'flip-flap' dribble was matched by his equally famous thunderbolt shot, pile-driver free kicks and luxuriant moustache.
Role - Inside Forward - Support

JAIRZINHO - Combining strength with blistering pace, Jairzinho scored in the 70th minute of the final to cap a performance that saw him score in every match of the 1970 tournament. A striker/inside forward/winger, Jairzinho's position was hard to nail down. He simply played wherever he needed to be at exactly the right time. One might qualify his position as a wide trequartista.
Role - Raumdeuter - Attack

TOSTAO - Like Clodoaldo and Piazza was forced to adapt his game to fit the tactical plan. He curbed his natural attacking instincts to act as a technically adept target man, organizing the game up front. He spent most of the tournament with his back to goal laying off subtle passes to Rivelino, Gerson, Pele and Jairzinho. He worked himself into the ground for the team as shown by his winning of the ball deep in his own half to begin the move for the Carlos Alberto goal in the final.
Role - Deep Lying Forward - Support

PELE - Pele is Pele. If you need to learn anything about Pele, go to Steam, right click on FM15 and click 'delete local content'
Role - Shadow Striker - Attack

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS -

Mentality - Attacking. We can't really have a Brazil 1970 tactic without it being Attacking, can we? If you want to, reign this back to Control and you should concede fewer goals. But I'm staying with Attack.

Team Shape - Fluid. Players need to contribute all over the park. The ones who don't have been firmly nailed in place.

Look For Overlap - To compel the midfielders to utilise the onrushing CWBs

Exploit The Flanks - No point having the CWBs set to Play Wider and then not use that space.

Play Narrower - But only the CWBS! Everyone else has to stay central.

Higher Tempo - It's Brazil. That ball has move through the transition phase as quickly as possible.

Shorter Passing - But it's not England. Lumping the ball forward is not acceptable.

Everything else is pretty self explanatory

Use whatever training takes your fancy (I use attacking movement). No opposition instructions are used.

View attachment 704832

View attachment 704830
The tactical legend returns! Yeah boy,

brazil 1970 looks great, will test this asap (should buy FM saturday :))

a question: I know Rivelino was heavily left-footed but as an inside forward would a right footed player work at AML? also, who is the main goal scorer in this tactic in your experience? 'Pelé' or maybe 'Jairzinho'?

Really want to try this, I'm currently in the conference with Lincoln though and I don't know if it was suit a muddy soaking pitch in the lower leagues!

brazil 1970 looks great, will test this asap (should buy FM saturday :))

a question: I know Rivelino was heavily left-footed but as an inside forward would a right footed player work at AML? also, who is the main goal scorer in this tactic in your experience? 'Pelé' or maybe 'Jairzinho'?

A right footer would be great at IF. In my save the DLF gets the most goals but that's just because of personnel.

A right footer would be great at IF. In my save the DLF gets the most goals but that's just because of personnel.

cool! right now corner kicks are destroying all my demo testing XD

would yo recommend changing team mentality when taking the lead or playing against bigger clubs? Counter did work a treat in FM14.

cool! right now corner kicks are destroying all my demo testing XD

would yo recommend changing team mentality when taking the lead or playing against bigger clubs? Counter did work a treat in FM14.

I use the in-game shouts although I'm not sure what, if any, difference they make :D

1982 in testing now, shouldn't be too long. It's basically the same with the wide players moved to central midfield.

BRAZIL 1982

View attachment 328553

It might seem odd to build a tactic on a team that, ultimately, was a failure. But the Brazil team of the World Cup in Spain 1982 is a legendary outfit and alongside the Dutch team of 1974, probably the best team not to win the World Cup.

Tele Santanas team approached the World Cup with the same spirit of Zagallo's 1970 side, namely he just picked the best players available and let them get on with it. Unfortunately, he didn't have the quality of players from 1970 available to him - a defence prone to comical mistakes, a goalkeeper barely worthy of the name and a lumbering cart-horse of a centre forward.

What he did have, however, was a fine Regista in Falcao who forced his way into the side early and stayed there, a talented winger turned striker in Eder to knit the attack together and two of the greatest playmakers in the history of the game in Zico and Socrates. Like 1970, the team essentially played with four forwards but with a central attacking theme.

So the formation was 4-2-2-2 which seems at first to lack width. However, such was the attacking nature of the team and the fluency of their movement that they created their own width, allied to a pair of rampaging wing-backs in Junior and Leandro.

At first, Brazil simply steamrollered their opposition. USSR, Scotland and New Zealand were all dispatched by a combination of rapier passing, pace and thunderous shooting. An easy victory over rivals Argentina followed leaving them needing only a draw against a strangely mute Italy side to progress.

Italy had begun quietly, drawing all their stage 1 games and only progressing on goal difference. Paolo Rossi had yet to start due to suspension but within 5 minutes he had scored. Italy were a side emerging from the dark days of catenaccio by freeing their libero to play in midfield but they were still essentially a defensive side and scoring first was vital for them. So began a game of cat and mouse - Brazil would storm forward, Italy would defend and counter.

Had Brazil scored first, Italy weren't set up to chase a game. Had the Brazilian defence not had a collective brainfade to gift Rossi a second and had Junior not been half asleep to play Rossi onside to complete his hat-trick, World Cup (and perhaps football) history may have been different.

Instead, Italy triumphed 3-2 and went on to win the tournament. Zico called it 'the day football died' slightly hyperbolic. What it did signal was the victory of organisation over art. No longer would teams be selected for the qualities of their players alone. From now on formation and system were the prime factors in team selection.

In Brazilian football, a glorious naivety died with the 1982 team. By 1994 the Regista had been dropped in favour of no-compromise defenders like Dunga. Brazilian football decided that it could no longer compete with the physical muscular style of the European sides and reasoned 'if you can't beat them, join them'. Certainly there would be space for artistry in future Brazilian sides but now it would be built around a backbone of steel. Samba football was dead.

View attachment 328535

(The tactic is much the same as the 1970 one, with some player roles tweaked. Enjoy :) )

View attachment 328534

Btw, we're only in 4th but I only had 8 million to spend in summer. And check out the goal difference ;)