Three requests so far - Don Revie era Leeds, Arsenal Invincibles and Fat Ronaldo Brazil.

I'll dismiss the Brazil one (done 2 already) and the Arsenal team was mainly about the personnel than any great tactical set up. So that leaves Leeds.

I'm a huge forest fan so doing Revie's Leeds has obvious problems for me. But I am going to try :D

I shall do my best, win the title and then tell them they cheated xD

Only joking, ofc. I will try it and see what I can do ;)

how about a 1950 real when thay won 5 cl in a row i think

how about a 1950 real when thay won 5 cl in a row i think

I forgot that someone also mentioned Hungary of the 50s so I might try that first. I'll be honest and admit that I don't have the first idea what the formation for the di Stefano era Real was. I'm sure I can find out ;)

Trouble is in doing this that occasionally teams have a player that is SO good that it's down to the player rather than the tactics. For example Argentina 86 who were a dour, dry, boring, sweeper counter attack team with a genius who pretty much won the WC on his own.

Similarly, the Arsenal Invincibles are hard to recreate without a louche, lazy, immobile French striker who will spend most of the game doing nothing and then suddenly pounce into glorious action and score ;)

Puskas' Hungary looks good because it was a revolutionary formation.

I forgot that someone also mentioned Hungary of the 50s so I might try that first. I'll be honest and admit that I don't have the first idea what the formation for the di Stefano era Real was. I'm sure I can find out ;)

Trouble is in doing this that occasionally teams have a player that is SO good that it's down to the player rather than the tactics. For example Argentina 86 who were a dour, dry, boring, sweeper counter attack team with a genius who pretty much won the WC on his own.

Similarly, the Arsenal Invincibles are hard to recreate without a louche, lazy, immobile French striker who will spend most of the game doing nothing and then suddenly pounce into glorious action and score ;)

Puskas' Hungary looks good because it was a revolutionary formation.
fair point di stefano was some player

fair point di stefano was some player

I'll look into it though. Like I say, I'm not really so aware of the whole Real team from those days - like did di Stefano just carry them like Maradona '86 etc? There is still room for rogue superstars in what I do as long as the 'essence' of a team tactic is there.

I'm aware of the team historically, just not tactically. Oh well....more research :D

I'll look into it though. Like I say, I'm not really so aware of the whole Real team from those days - like did di Stefano just carry them like Maradona '86 etc? There is still room for rogue superstars in what I do as long as the 'essence' of a team tactic is there.

I'm aware of the team historically, just not tactically. Oh well....more research :D
i think di stefano was the main man but think thay had some very good players dont think it was a 1 man team

Incidentally, the 1982 tactic works much better on Control than Attacking. Especially against big teams. But I left it on Attack deliberately to suit the historical setting ;)

i think di stefano was the main man but think thay had some very good players dont think it was a 1 man team

Kitch, you're a bad person because you made me watch di Stefano/Real videos for the past 6 hours and now it's 4am :)

Ok, I got something kinda basic working. 3-2-4-1 with di stefano (ok, Ronaldo) bossing things up front. But I cannot make the defence work at all.

Two half backs, maybe? That should force everyone up the pitch and push the outside CBs wider. HBs will launch long balls forward too, so it might work.

I have 4 saves running currently and I just won the Prem using the 1982 with Forest in the first year up. Only on goal difference...but it was some goal difference ;)

View attachment 327761

I'm not getting as much feedback on the tactics posted as I'd hoped. Way less than on FM14 and probably my fault. I'm also a teeny bit glum that the forum just fills up with tiki taka, Guardiola specials and 4-3-3 so early (all tested with Real Madrid for 10 games, ofc).

Endless screenshots of evidently tampered tactics claiming to be good, when you can clearly see the 'edit' icon in the toolbar and 500m worth of players in the team is not for me. My favourite was last year when somebody posted a 'game breaking' tactic using Celtic with Messi and Ronaldo in his side......please!

So! Anyway! Because I'm a boring old fart and I love to talk about tactics and stuff more than purely winning everything, I intend to start a blog soon along the same lines of talking about historical tactics and post all of my stuff there. Of course feel free to use the stuff I leave here.

It's not so much I'm leaving here, but expanding somewhere else :)

If it's ok with the mods, I'll drop a link to my new place when it's up?

Meanwhile, all my tacs are available in the first post

edit:

And thanks for the likes everyone, genuinely made my day to think I might have made yours <3

Last edited:
Makes me sad that you take you're posts elsewhere, but i do understand the frustration.

The problem is that the majority of players on release are mostly interested in fast results and 4-3-3 style. Although id LOVE to work on this topic, the logical thing to do when new FM comes out is to create something efficient fast, and sadly whats in fashion now is tiki taka.

Best of luck tho, will follow you're blog with interest, and hopefully i would have some awesome saves crafted by you're work.

Three requests so far - Don Revie era Leeds, Arsenal Invincibles and Fat Ronaldo Brazil.

I'll dismiss the Brazil one (done 2 already) and the Arsenal team was mainly about the personnel than any great tactical set up. So that leaves Leeds.

I'm a huge forest fan so doing Revie's Leeds has obvious problems for me. But I am going to try :D

I shall do my best, win the title and then tell them they cheated xD

Only joking, ofc. I will try it and see what I can do ;)

Hey, just seen this !

I'll ignore the typical styerotype (only joking) and say that if you want my help (as a massive Leeds fan and historian), I'm more than happy to offer thoughts.

Don't give up just yet! :D I kept my word, and testing the '50 Hungary tactic with Honved (A lot of the players in that team formed the national team).
Attack: Works good. 7.5/10
Defense: I am very exposed on the flanks, and let in a lot of crosses. 4/10.

It's a work in progress, but this year's FM seems like the most suted for excentric tactics. I think i can finally make it work. If you don't do it before me :D

EDIT: At the moment my Steam account is stolen, so i cannot continue testing for another week ( I assume) till i get it back.

I'm down for testing whatever tactics with whatever teams. Feel free to DM me whenever.

I'm loving the 1982 tactic.

Still want that Ajax tactic with the Libero. ;)