Hodgson backs Zamora for England

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 147
  • Views Views 6K
So if Rooney goes off form and doesn't score for ages then he 'has' to take an in form striker instead of him?

He isn't off form and never really has been, I will be the first to admit Gerrard is off form but Liverpool have never let him recover from injury as he is on pain killing drugs to get through every game. Yes, he should pick the core England Squad such as Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Cole, Terry, Lampard and Barry but from there, he should really be picking the form players and these players hardley ever come out of form. Rooney is the only striker for England that doesn't have dips in form.

Yes but there comes a point where you have to choose between form and quality and i can think of 3 or 4 strikers that are better than Zamora. No offense but he just isn't good enough to play for England imo.

Fair enough, but you don't know until you tried, I wouldn't call Heskey or Agbonlahor quality, I don't think Bobby is far them, in terms of technical ability but we have our all system built around Bobby which seems to be working this season, I think he'd work well with a quality striker like Rooney with him, Hodgson has certainly made him into a top class target man.

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:08 PM ----------

I see Bobby scored his 15th goal of the season today, quality goal it was, shame Capello missed it as he left the ground early ;)

I truly hope he is given a run out against Egypt, it is FACT that England have never won a World Cup with out a Fulham player in it ;) Cheeky I know

Bobby for England, I hope he does surpass the 20 Goal mark.

I hope he gets his chance, and fails miserably ;)

I'd rather him than Crouch or Heskey if I am honest, Bobby has become a complete package this season and none of his goals have been penalties.

Agbonlahor isn't quality? That's a bit too far, but he can definitely stake a claim to a spot.

Surely he will bring Rooney,Defoe and Gabby
Then Gabby can play on thw ing aswell, I imagine he'll pay 4-5-1

Agbonlahor isn't quality? That's a bit too far, but he can definitely stake a claim to a spot.

When I say that, I mean, no England striker is near the quality of Rooney, Zamora included, Agbonlahor has lots of pace but not the targetman suitability to play alongside Rooney.

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

Surely he will bring Rooney,Defoe and Gabby
Then Gabby can play on thw ing aswell, I imagine he'll pay 4-5-1

Fabio will take a target man, none of those three fit the criteria no?

I'd rather him than Crouch or Heskey if I am honest, Bobby has become a complete package this season and none of his goals have been penalties.

I'd rather have Rooney & Defoe starting but i can understand why Capello doesn't want two smallish strikers in the starting line up.

Out of all the 'targetmen' i'd have C.Cole.

I'd rather have Rooney & Defoe starting but i can understand why Capello doesn't want two smallish strikers in the starting line up.

Out of all the 'targetmen' i'd have C.Cole.

I'm sure we'd all love two smallish strikers but England play better with a target man, I fail to see how Carlton Cole is better than Bobby seeing as Bobby has had a much better strike rate this season, I think people see his poor record in past seasons a reason not to pick him but please remember, Luca Toni was never that prolific before the 2005/2006 season.

I'm sure we'd all love two smallish strikers but England play better with a target man, I fail to see how Carlton Cole is better than Bobby seeing as Bobby has had a much better strike rate this season, I think people see his poor record in past seasons a reason not to pick him but please remember, Luca Toni was never that prolific before the 2005/2006 season.

I haven't seen enough of England playing without a targetman to decide which is the better approach to take. Without a target man, i feel we would be a lot more fluid. It reminds me of the way United play to an extent. With Berbatov they seem to be slow and robotic-like in their build up play. Without him, as seen on numerous occasions, they play far better with Rooney up top on his own and two advanced wingers supporting him. Capello should take this friendly coming up as a chance to experiment a bit with the formation and players.

On paper yes Bobby has had a far superior season than Cole, but Cole has been injured for a while and yet he comes back and gets amongst the goals straight away. Bobby's form may be better, but if Engand do go with a targetman in the starting line up then i feel Cole is the better option in terms of quality whilst Bobby is better in terms of form. I'd like to see Bobby given a chance to prove me wrong though.

really I thought you said you hoped he failed miserably?

contradiction or?

really I thought you said you hoped he failed miserably?

contradiction or?

I do hope he fails miserably for the simple fact that i don't think he's good enough to play for England.

On the other hand, i'd like to see him given the chance to prove me wrong?

riiiight so you hope he fails but youd like to see him prove you wrong?

riiiight so you hope he fails but youd like to see him prove you wrong?

Your not reading it right mate.
I'll brake it down for you:

> I hope he fails
> But i would like to see him given the chance to prove me wrong
> Obviously i don't want him to prove me wrong, as that would be contradicting myself

right you said

"I hope he gets his chance and fails miserably"

so how can you say "you would like to see him given the chance to prove you wrong"

no need to be condescending.

I didn't mean to be patronizing if thats the way it looked. So apologies if it did.
There's no secret that i don't want him to play for England as i feel he's not good enough.
But on his current form i would like to see him given a chance to prove to myself that i thought wrong about him or that he is better player than i initially thought.
I don't want that to happen though as i feel their are other strikers that are better than him.

I can't see where i am contradicting myself, possibly i am wrong, maybe the time is slowly catching up with my brain ;)

nah no offence taken mate, it's just the way you put it.

I can see what you're saying I just don't get how you said you "hoped he gained his chance and failed miserably", you then said "you would like to see him given the chance to prove you wrong"

so you see what I am saying? in any case its a silly thing to debate over I suppose

Back