Homosexuality in football

MisterZhifei

Reaction score
Gay footballers would be accepted - Gareth Southgate

Former England international Gareth Southgate says players would accept a gay team-mate in the dressing room.

But Southgate claims some fans would not be so tolerant towards homosexual players open about their sexuality.

Despite a number of high-profile male and female athletes choosing to go public with their sexuality in recent years, the only footballer to come out as a homosexual since the late Justin Fashanu in 1990 is Anton Hysen, a Swedish lower league player.

"It will take someone who is brave enough to be open and honest," added former Middlesbrough manager Southgate in an interview with BBC's Richard Conway at a charity event for the England Footballers Foundation, which was set up in 2007 with players donating their England match fees to good causes.

"We can't control the reaction of all supporters, so unfortunately there will always be a adverse reaction to parts of society. But the honest answer is that we don't know until somebody steps forward."

Earlier this week, Lindegaard wrote in a blog that the nature of supporters on the terraces does little to encourage homosexual players to be open about their sexuality.

"As a footballer, I think a homosexual colleague would be afraid of the reception he could get from the fans, but my impression is that the players would not have a problem accepting a homosexual.

"While the rest of the world has been more liberal, civilised and less prejudiced, the world of football remains stuck in the past when it comes to tolerance."

--------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

I think it is ridiculous how football is still so homophobic in a world when people are now coming to grips with gays and bisexuals, especially since football attracts a widespread audience who all differ in race, religion, sexuality, age, etc. It is just ridiculous, to be honest; but to be fair, it's hard to do anything about it!

Every club has some fans who are complete idiots. Some clubs have more of these than others. But if I was gay and a player I would keep it quiet. Imagine if you played for one of the Manchester clubs and came out as gay. The other clubs fan would abuse you for 90mins. Would I accept a gay team mate? Yeah, as long as he is not pulling another man infront of me.
I think if a player did come out he would get a lot of support but also a lot of abuse

Its time for the 'gay hero' that Lindegaard has called for to show himself. It is Cristiano Ronaldo. The world's (2nd) best player is definitely a homosexual.

Sarcasm?

Or... jealousy? XD After all not everyone can bone Iryna Shayk XD

Its time for the 'gay hero' that Lindegaard has called for to show himself. It is Cristiano Ronaldo. The world's (2nd) best player is definitely a homosexual.

Seems a bit suspicious that Lindegaard was blogging about this, possibly it is him who is gay?

Accepted by most, unfortunately and as usual its the moron minority who would shout loudest on the pitch and off it.

Seems a bit suspicious that Lindegaard was blogging about this, possibly it is him who is gay?

I hear Lindegaard is good at handling balls! :p

My response is "who cares??". Footballers kick a ball around for a living. If he happens to want to party with George Michael at the weekend then who gives a f**k?? I certainly don't. Unless the first openly homosexual footballer is trying to put his ***** up my *** then it is no business of mine

Accepted by most, unfortunately and as usual its the moron minority who would shout loudest on the pitch and off it.
Football fans are sometimes too passionate, and sometimes their passion turns into hatred or aggression. It is currently a gentleman's game watched by thugs.

I hear Lindegaard is good at handling balls! :p

My response is "who cares??". Footballers kick a ball around for a living. If he happens to want to party with George Michael at the weekend then who gives a f**k?? I certainly don't. Unless the first openly homosexual footballer is trying to put his ***** up my *** then it is no business of mine
Haha, well said.

Football fans are sometimes too passionate, and sometimes their passion turns into hatred or aggression. It is currently a gentleman's game watched by thugs.

I wouldn't call football a gentleman's game, Its roots are firmly working class. I wouldn't call fans thugs either, the vast majority are decent ordinary people.

If a player wants to go out to a nightclub and slam all the ho's on the bar or he simply wants to sit at home with another man whilst listening to Marvin gaye shouldn't matter, nobody should be judging him by that, he should be getting judged for what he does on the football pitch.

I reckon Joey Barton will come out gay just for the attention

It would be nice if people just didn't care but of course they would! I can see why plenty of gay footballers would keep quiet about it.

Would I accept a gay team mate? Yeah, as long as he is not pulling another man infront of me.

You do realise that just because someone's gay doesn't mean they're automatically attracted to you, don't you? Just like how if you're straight, not every girl is attractive to you. It just means they like your type, not every guy ever

I remember doing this subject thread a while back, and it exposed some peoples irrational hatred from some members on this forum, and some of the the comments were just full of bile and hatred-made me sick.

If people can't accept it-they have a real problem.

If a player wants to go out to a nightclub and slam all the ho's on the bar or he simply wants to sit at home with another man whilst listening to Marvin gaye shouldn't matter, nobody should be judging him by that, he should be getting judged for what he does on the football pitch.

Funny sentence, since Marvin Gaye was Marvin Gay, but changed name because he didn't want to be remembered for that last name :)

Also, 2 homosexual guys could be at home listening to Cradle of Filth. I think the music that you ear is not directly in matter of the sexual orientation.

I've played basketball for some years and the shower was for all. If i had a homosexual m8 in the team and i was aware of it and he looked at me with "the look", i would like it.

Don't get me wrong, but our civilization is not yet fully prepared to let players be like that, especially people from the lower parts of the society.

You do realise that just because someone's gay doesn't mean they're automatically attracted to you, don't you? Just like how if you're straight, not every girl is attractive to you. It just means they like your type, not every guy ever

I dont understand. I'm saying he can be gay but as long as he dosent do his gay stuff with someone else infront of me. Not every girl. Just most of them

Wow. Why shouldn't someone who is gay be allowed to express how they feel towards someone, just as someone who is straight? Have an overwhelming feeling of deja vu here and it leaves a distinctly unpleasant feeling

I dont understand. I'm saying he can be gay but as long as he dosent do his gay stuff with someone else infront of me.

Why not? Gay people can't behave the same as straight people because you don't like it?

**** you, you homophobic piece of ****.