Homosexuality within sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow.... that is the single most ignorant thing ive seen for a while. hating something without even having a reason. christ almighty

I admit I was a bit apprehensive about doing this, as there are going to be different viewpoints, and not all valid. But it's something I've always been curious about, and I've been proved right by the majority talking sense

If your in the public eye, and are different in any way shape or form, you will be ridiculed by the public that you are immersed in, thats just obvious from the society and world we live in.

Simple human fact, homosexuality is becoming more and more acceptable in the modern world, just if your a so called "celebrity" its more of an issue and more exposed.

I go to university on a sports studies course and way over 50% of the girls are gay, many just because their at university "LUG".

Sport is profound to be a production of a masculine society, and a main topic for strong feminist groups to focus on when arguing that the world is still a male dominant society.

What comes with a masculine society is traditional values, i.e. one man, one woman, sociologically its not heard of for competitors of male dominated sports to have tendencies such as homosexuality. In fact the media present sports stars as if we are still living in the Victorian ages, where sportsman were respectable, strong, physically fit, role model christians, and looked up to as the elite of a society. If an athlete of any sports breaks those boundaries they are landed on heavily! The way in which media reflects sports athletes is very much with traditional values so creates issues with a very diverse modern society.

I have just done elements of this in a module...

I don't see why a person's sexuality should be public knowledge anyway, or how it is of any importance, although I guess having openly homosexual players would be good for homosexual members of the public. It is a shame however that homosexual players do have to hide their nature from the public for fear of it becoming public knowledge and the possible consequences from hordes of ignorant hate-mongering homophobics.

If these players do want to publicly come out, in my opinion they should band together and all do it at once. If there were numerous players who all came out together any abuse would be greatly diluted and it'd make it far easier for more players to do so, rather than on an individual basis with all of the attention on each person that does so.

Last edited:
Never said i hated all gays but people like alan carr gives me an unfair stereotype which makes me dislike gays and im sure im not alone
so wait, you have based your hate on two people. that is ignorance

I dont think most people would care if a player was gay
its just something easy make a chant out of

Not going to lie i hate gays i dont know why probs because people like alan carr and julian cleary off the tele i just despise and it makes me hate them

What a narrow minded way of looking at people. Its people like you that has led to someones sexuality possibly being a weakness.
How does a person with these sort of views survive in modern society?

Never said i hated all gays but people like alan carr gives me an unfair stereotype which makes me dislike gays and im sure im not alone

You could have worded it better buddy, but hey, we're all humans, and if seeing people act like that makes you feel uncomfortable with then, then fair play.

It doesn't matter if you said all or some gays, you're still saying that you hate someone based on nothing but their sexuality. You hate Alan Carr because of how he acts makes you seem less ignorant, but you didn't type that nor imply that. It's fun how you're back pedalling now you've been flamed for being so ignorant. XD

I admit I was a bit apprehensive about doing this, as there are going to be different viewpoints, and not all valid. But it's something I've always been curious about, and I've been proved right by the majority talking sense
im glad you have though becuase it shows just a small insight to what people are like, and exactly the issues and responses gays are likely to get and face

This is one of the topics Football needs to learn from Rugby/Cricket. In Rugby the fans and players respect both homosexual players and refs, same can be said in cricket.

Glad we're all on the same tolerant and fair wavelength here (with one notable exception).

I don't see why a person's sexuality should be public knowledge anyway, or how it is of any importance, although I guess having openly homosexual players would be good for homosexual members of the public. It is a shame however that homosexual players do have to hide their nature from the public for fear of it becoming public knowledge and the possible consequences from hordes of ignorant hate-mongering homophobics.

If these players do want to publicly come out, in my opinion they should band together and all do it at once. If there were numerous player's who all came out together any abuse would be greatly diluted and it'd make it far easier for more players to do so, rather than on an individual basis with all of the attention on each person that does so.

Agreed on all points. The second one would be good, shame it's nearly impossible unfortunately.

Not going to lie i hate gays i dont know why probs because people like alan carr and julian cleary off the tele i just despise and it makes me hate them

You clearly have said you hate all gays. Unless "I hate gays" has another meaning I've yet to understand. Ignorance at its greatest. I still can't believe that you are willing to despise a whole section of society based on the appearance of two overly camp television presenters. Despicable.

Neil Patrick Harris, Stephen Fry.

that is all.

Last edited:
It is a shame that the football world couldn't accept homosexuality, but you never know, people even 20 -30 years ago probably didn't think that they would accept different races. Once one comes out and gets the respect and acknowledgement they deserve, then more will come out and it will almost have to be accepted, which i can only see as a good thing.

Neil Patrick Harris, Stephen Fry.

that is all.

Exactly.... for example I didn't even know Fry was gay till about a year ago untill he said it on some show... TV has given us all a stereotype of gays which is why some people don't like them (we know who :p).

It is a shame that the football world couldn't accept homosexuality, but you never know, people even 20 -30 years ago probably didn't think that they would accept different races. Once one comes out and gets the respect and acknowledgement they deserve, then more will come out and it will almost have to be accepted, which i can only see as a good thing.

Sad thing is, a few people within media/footballing circles can't see it happening within the next decade.

so you hate camp people, not gay people

pigeon holing all gay people to be/act like the likes of alan carr is just pathetic.

To be fair most gay people i know are mildly like alan carr n live up to the stereotype.

To be honest i dont even know why homosexuals have to announce themselves as homosexuals to start off with.

Last edited:
As long as they dont start snogging on the pitch i dont see why it should make a difference.

Hope you get bummed to death.

Dean Ashton came out as being gay and he was an england international, can't remember him getting much abuse though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.