Homosexuality within sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil Patrick Harris, Stephen Fry.

that is all.
tumblr_le5ts5f9kq1qfti5wo1_500.jpg

No, that is all.

Dean Ashton came out as being gay and he was an england international, can't remember him getting much abuse though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dean Ashton? I honestly do not know

Exactly.... for example I didn't even know Fry was gay till about a year ago untill he said it on some show... TV has given us all a stereotype of gays which is why some people don't like them (we know who :p).

I'm failing to see how you can confuse a TV personality for hating a group of people based on sexuality.

It is a shame that the football world couldn't accept homosexuality, but you never know, people even 20 -30 years ago probably didn't think that they would accept different races. Once one comes out and gets the respect and acknowledgement they deserve, then more will come out and it will almost have to be accepted, which i can only see as a good thing.

To be honest I think the main problem won't be the media, or people inside football, but it'll be the fans. However most players do get the mick taken out of them, nobody can ever say they've not called Rooney a fat ****, or a ref a ****.

There are a few footballers that behind the scenes are known to be homosexuals, as far as ive seen, they dont get any stick from staff or team mates, but as some have said, unfortunately they would off fans, so i think the fear of that is what stops them making it public.
If one high profile player came out and said he was homosexual it would then determine if others would ( depending on the reaction) But it could have dire consequences on his career.

To be fair most gay people i know are mildly like alan carr n live up to the stereotype.

To be honest i dont even know why homosexuals have to announce themselves as homosexuals to start off with.
Because if you don't come out you can't live an openly gay lifestyle.
If you try to the media will find out and break the news, might as well make the announcement on your own terms.

To be honest I think the main problem won't be the media, or people inside football, but it'll be the fans. However most players do get the mick taken out of them, nobody can ever say they've not called Rooney a fat ****, or a ref a ****.

I agree that the main problem could be the fans. Like many eastern European commentators have about east European fans, its down to education and upbringing. Not all east europeans though I must stress. But maybe if the relevant associations and media worked together, maybe it could do something good?

I'm failing to see how you can confuse a TV personality for hating a group of people based on sexuality.

I'm not confusing it....
Someone said he hates gays due to them all being like Alan Carr
I'm saying TV gives that stereotype and some people may then not like Gays as they don't like the stereotype and think all gay are like that... like the guy who said on the 1st page.

I

This is one of the topics Football needs to learn from Rugby/Cricket. In Rugby the fans and players respect both homosexual players and refs, same can be said in cricket.

Thats because, with a doubt overall rugby fans/players are more educated than football fans/players. Homosexuality will never be accepted in football, especially in this country. I heard that Jermaine Jenas is gay.

I'm not confusing it....
Someone said he hates gays due to them all being like Alan Carr
I'm saying TV gives that stereotype and some people may then not like Gays as they don't like the stereotype and think all gay are like that... like the guy who said on the 1st page.

I

I wasn't asking you how you can confuse it, you said it's a reason why people do dislike gays. I was saying I don't see how it's a reason at all.

The newspapers have had evidence on players who have been pictured with another man/men, although they have never been able to get past high court injuctions, and i doubt they ever will.

My mate who I go to the footy with is gay he's one of my best friends and gay's don't ennoy me I have no problem with them my mate agrees with me here though gay people who think being straight is a terrable thing or act really femine (sp) they annoy me

If they are wanting me not to give them stick for being gay they have to accept I'm straight that's only fair.

I wasn't asking you how you can confuse it, you said it's a reason why people do dislike gays. I was saying I don't see how it's a reason at all.

It could be a reason. Some people may find that behaviour very disturbing....Maybe it's the only "Gay" they see....so, with them being so narrow minded, they announce they hate all gays

(My Scenario may be more fitting to the older Generation)

I think the anti-gay comments were ignorant but at least the posters were honest...a lot of people (I'm sure on this thread too) pretend to be "tolerant" when really they have prejudiced viewpoints underneath. I prefer people who are honest, and "intolerance" is worse when it is not in the open.

This culture is sad in sports but unfortunately being gay would make you a huge target and a distraction to the team. If I was a gay player I would want to keep it under wraps, imagine the kind of abuse you would when you travelled to more conservative regions in European competitions. Since there are many conservative countries in football and it is a male-dominated sport, a lot of prejudice remains...remember what Scolari said? There really isn't any backlash if you're anti-gay. So I think that culture will continue. It's the same in American sports. I think it will take one gay superstar to change everything...if the player is good enough, people will like him no matter what. Ronaldo would be a great example...he's clearly bisexual (why else would he have gotten the trannies), but no one was bothered by it because of his legendary status. Hopefully there will be a really top player who is gay and it will change peoples' minds.

Superb topic mate,

I wouldn't care if players in my team came out saying they were gay. As long as it didn't affect their performance due to the abuse they would recieve from opposition fans because lets all be honest majority of people are going to shout stuff to wind them up and there would just need to be a strict rule in place such as Kick Racism out of football and any fans that don't comply recieve fines and point deductions etc.

I don't mind gays at all, however I dislike the way some of them deliberately go out their way to show and let everyone know they are gay because really it's a personal thing and it should be kept to themselves but whatever it's their choice. I worked in a call centre and a majority of the people there were gay/lesbian and some of them went out of there way to make sure everyone knew it. But I know thats not everyone most people just get on with their business and keep their love life to themselves. I have 2 lesbian neighbours and I get on well with them they just go about life and keep it to themselves.

I think the anti-gay comments were ignorant but at least the posters were honest...a lot of people (I'm sure on this thread too) pretend to be "tolerant" when really they have prejudiced viewpoints underneath. I prefer people who are honest, and "intolerance" is worse when it is not in the open.

Same here. If people don't like gay people or bi-sexual people, then at least (like you said) they're being pretty open I guess. But I admit I find it pretty sad that views like that exist.

It could be a reason. Some people may find that behaviour very disturbing....Maybe it's the only "Gay" they see....so, with them being so narrow minded, they announce they hate all gays

(My Scenario may be more fitting to the older Generation)

It also fits to younger people too.

I don't mind gays at all, however I dislike the way some of them deliberately go out their way to show and let everyone know they are gay because really it's a personal thing and it should be kept to themselves but whatever it's their choice. I worked in a call centre and a majority of the people there were gay/lesbian and some of them went out of there way to make sure everyone knew it. But I know thats not everyone most people just get on with their business and keep their love life to themselves. I have 2 lesbian neighbours and I get on well with them they just go about life and keep it to themselves.

Agree with that completly if everybody just got about their own thing I'm positive that less ****-sexual's would be given abuse.

I thought I had heard Fry was gay but thought it was something I had made up now he doesn't annoy me but then somebody like louie Spence he annoy's me slightly

It also fits to younger people too.

yeah totally, but i think younger people are more exposed to issues like this, Like Race and Sexuality....but it was taboo back in the old days, My German grand mother is a great example lol

Would also say that if there was anyway of it being brought into football it shouldn't just be the FA it should be at least FIFA bringing it in and just imposing the ban on fans to chant anything derogitory against them or it would result in Bans from stadiums, Club Fines, etc exactly like the racism rule then maybe it wouldn't cause as much of a problem (obviously there still would be a bit from fans and time to get used to it)

Status
Not open for further replies.