Icemen - A Dennis Bergkamp Story

• Thread starter Thread starter gandrasch
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 106
  • Views Views 19K
I'm speeding things up a bit to the grand finale, but after that there will be more "unusual" posts then now.

View attachment 205060

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Official Real Sociedad San Sebastian Newsletter #24

Thoughts from
View attachment 205059

Dear Fans,
I literally don't know what to write. First of all we didn't play that bad all month and still managed to only get one win and a draw out of five games. Then we got incredibly lucky, because the win against Elbar keep alive our chance to play international next year. With 3 points in hand to Elbar and only two games to play, we only need one win. But the last game is against Valencia, 2nd in table, so we have to win against Rayo Vallecano.
Best regards,
Dennis Bergkamp - Headcoach
__________________________________________________ __

View attachment 205058

View attachment 205053
View attachment 205051
View attachment 205050
View attachment 205048
View attachment 205047
View attachment 205061

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Grand Finale

View attachment 205028
Official Real Sociedad San Sebastian Newsletter #25
View attachment 205021

Dear Fans,
is it all over now? We lost and again it was our fault for not making our chances pay. Elbar draw level. We have to put on a top performance against Valencia and can only hope they are not fully motivated because they are fixed 3th.
Best regards,
Dennis Bergkamp - Headcoach
View attachment 205029

last day

View attachment 205003

Welcome to our live coverage from the last day of La Liga this season. Place 1-5 are already fixed but there's a fierce battle for 6th spot from Real Sociedad San Sebastian and Sociedad Deportiva Eibar. Both are at 57 points with San Sebastian in favour because of head-to-head results, but with the tougher opponent.
Real Sociedad will face Valencia, while Eibar battles RCD Espanyol.
On the other side of the table, Deportivo, Gijon, Granada and Las Palmas try to get out of relegation spots, with Deportivo and Granada have the tough task to play Real and Barcelona, Gijon plays Villareal and Las Palmas goes to Malaga, sitting comfortable over the line.

Kickoff starts 15 minutes from now.

Select Matches
[ ] 11th Athletic Bilbao - Sevilla 4th
[ ] Atletico de Madrid - Celta de Vigo
[ ] Deportivo de La Coruna - Real Madrid
[ ] Granada - FC Barcelona
[ ] Malaga - UD Las Palmas
[ ] Rayo Vallecano - Levante
[x] RCD Espanyol - SD Eibar
[ ] Real Betis - Getafe
[ ] Real Sporting Gijon - Villarreal
[x] Valencia - Real Sociedad

Kickoff

29. Minute: PENALTY IN VALENCIA

Vela fouls inside the box. Parejo takes the ball...

View attachment 992665

And he scores it! Real Sociedad slips to 7th...

34. Minute: GOAL FOR REAL SOCIEDAD

View attachment 205009

Vela stands up for his mistake and equalised with a well timed finish from close range. Real Sociedad is 6th again.

37 Minute: GOAL FOR EIBAR
View attachment 205005

Beatiful finish from Verdi get Eibar on international places again. Real Sociedad have to win now, to get back on top of Eibar.

42 Minute: EIBAR WITH A SECOND GOAL

View attachment 205006

Is this the decision? Another wonderful finish from Baston looks like the winner for Eibar. Real Sociedad is now under pressure.

45+2 Minute: Halftime whistle in Valencia and Barcelona. Stand now Real Sociedad misses european football next year.

Last edited:
View attachment 204995
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
View attachment 204993

45 Minute: Second half begins

47 Minute: REAL SOCIEDAD SCORES

View attachment 204992

The man for the important goals strikes. Jonathas get Real Sociedad in front. 2-1 and 43 minutes to go.

49 Minute: VALENCIA DRAW LEVEL

View attachment 204984

And the shock for Real Sociedad as Feghouli who uses a mistake by Canales to draw 2-2

55 Minute: ITS JONATHAS AGAIN

View attachment 204983

His second goal of the match and again such an important one. Real Sociedad 3-2 up and 35+x minutes to go.

66 Minute: INUI MAKES IT 3

View attachment 204982

Inui adds a third goal to the Eibar lead. But if Sociedad wins this goal is worthless!

73 Minute: RCD SCORES A GOAL

View attachment 204981

It's 3-1 in Barcelona now, but the match is still one sided.

90+3 Minute: IT'S OVER. REAL SOCIEDAD DEFENDED THEIR 6TH SPOT TO PLAY EUROPEAN LEAGUE NEXT SEASON

View attachment 204979

View attachment 204978

Sky Sports: "How happy are you, that you reached your goal and took Real Sociedad to a european spot?"
Dennis Bergkamp: "I'm very delighted. We fought hard and believed in us until the last second. This is down to the players who gave a great performance today."

View attachment 204975

This is the start of a wonderful story... or is it?

Last edited:
End of Season

View attachment 204970

Official Real Sociedad San Sebastian Newsletter #26

View attachment 992708

Dear Fans,
we did it. We reached our dreams and got the team into European football. We had some good times and some bad times, but you always believed in us and I have to thank you for that from all of my heart. We have to see what the futures brings for us, but for now let's just celebrate, because this is quite an achievement for a team which only returned to La Liga 5 years ago.
Thanks to all of you and best regards,
Dennis Bergkamp - delighted headcoach

View attachment 204969

View attachment 204968

View attachment 204966

View attachment 204967

Last edited:
not again...

View attachment 204951

email to: D.Bergkamp[at]realsociedad.com

Subject: Board Meeting

Hello Mr. Bergkamp,

first of all congratulation to this great finish. You proved us right giving you the manager role. As preparation for the new season starting to begin we would like to announce the initial budgets which will be on your hand.

Transfer budget: € 3.74M
Wage budget: €700K p/w

Best regards,
J. Aperribay

email to: J.Aperribay[at]realsociedad.com

Subject: RE: Board Meeting

Hello Mr. Aperribay,

this is a joke right??? How on earth I am supposed to play La Liga and Europa League with that kind of budget? This isn't even enough to trigger the clause in Bruma's contract!!! Some of our players already asked for a change to a bigger club, if we don't invest heavily to match our ambitions, mine and the players, for the next year? Half of our squad gets older and older and have to be replaced.

I don't think I can work here under these circumstances...

D. Bergkamp

email to: D.Bergkamp[at]realsociedad.com

Subject: RE: RE: Board Meeting

Hello Mr. Bergkamp,

I think your anwser is unappropriated. Like you said we just went back from second division 5 years ago and the financial balance is more important then some players wishes. These is not the final budget, but you can't assume that we will invest heavily, except we sell with a big margin.

Best regards,
J. Aperribay

Last edited:
a new beginning

View attachment 204945

email to: T.Henry[at]web.com

Subject: I'm devastated

Hey Titi,

things went nuts down here. From one day to the other my whole world crashed. We got into Europa League, which is great, but the board isn't nearly as ambitious as me or the team. Some of them already handed in transfer request. Like Vela and Canales, the stars of the team. And I have no real argument to not let them go.

I think I have to depart ways. This isn't the environment where I can evolve myself and a team.

There might be an opportunity my agent told me. But I'm not totally sure about that.

Anyway I hope you're doing fine and you finally got your badges.
See you soon old friend.

Best regards,
Dennis Bergkamp

View attachment 204941
After a disappointing season with no silverware and a 6th place in the national league Liverpool FC choose to part ways with Jürgen Klopp. We want to thank him for his services and wish him best of luck for the future.
The process to appoint a new manager is underway.

View attachment 203958

email to: D.Bergkamp[at]gmail.com

Subject: Re: I'm devastated

Hi Dennis,

what a big blow. I kinda understand why they are doing this, but for someone ambitious like you this is hard to take. It's just a pity, because it looked like you were starting to build something big over there in Spain. Did you already told the board about your concerns?

I hope you're not talking about the Liverpool job there. You as scouser? C'mon, you can't be serious. There a couple of other rumours, that something really big is going too happen soon. Maybe you should wait for that opportunity first and then decide what to do. But you didn't hear that from me!

I did my badges and got a couple of offers, which I have to sort out now.

See you soon. Maybe faster then expected ;)

Regards,
Titi

*ringring*

View attachment 203957
D.Bergkamp: Hello? This is Dennis Bergkamp speaking. View attachment 203936
Arsene Wenger: Hello Dennis, it's me, Arsene.
D.B.: Oh what a surprise this is. Long time no see. I wanted to send you an email, but totally forgot about that.

A.W.: Ah, no problem. I was kinda busy too this season. And just called to congratulate you, too your big success at your first station as head coach.
D.B.: Thanks a lot. It was a great experience, even though I had a bitter sweat outcome. I read that your season was a good one too, despite losing the CL finale and getting second behind Chelsea.

A.W.: I heard about the problems with the management at San Sebastian. Yeah we got the national cup double with the F.A. Cup now three times in a row. That's the real reason why I'm calling. This is my 20th year in London and I think it's time to go now.
D.B.: Wait wait wait... you're telling me you will quit football? On the phone?
A.W.: I'm sorry about that, but this was a rather spontaneous decision. Also I suggest the board to consider you as my successor. You did a pretty decent job at Ajax and showed in Spain that you can manage by your own. Just think about it. I don't have the last word on that one so don't take that for granted.
D.B.: Wow, this is overwhelming. Even if I don't get the job, it's a big honour for me that you would consider me for that job.

A.W.: So let's see what happens. I just wanted to tell it to you before official annoucement, which will be next week. See you soon Dennis.
D.B.: Bye Arsene.

*dudduddud*

The show must go on.

View attachment 201208

The Interview

View attachment 201207

The Board: Hello Mr. Bergkamp. We are very pleased that you followed our invitation for this meeting today. Are you feeling fine?

Dennis Bergkamp: To be completly honest, I'm a bit nervous because this is a dream come true.

The Board: So do you think your up to the task to succeed Arsene Wenger? He pointed you out, but the board still have some concerns. The bond with this club is very deep, which is a good think if you want to succeed someone like Mr. Wenger, but you also need to be objective.

Dennis Bergkamp: They don't call the icemen for no reason, do they? But I can understand where this comes from. I do feel I'm ready for this big task because Arsene left this club in a great position to attack the top.

The Board: Top of Europe? After we got second in the league last year, the BPL is our biggest target. Even if that would mean to shift away the focus for European glory. Do you feel you can achieve this, with our current squad? Like always our focus is to only strengthen the squad in key areas and build up our own players.

Dennis Bergkamp: That's also my mentality. As you can see at Real Sociedad, I always try to include younger players rather than buy older stars.

The Board: Yeah, we noticed that. Also the budget for new players will be around 170 million pound.

Dennis Bergkamp: I'm kinda overwhelmed. With that much money I could overhaul the whole squad. I don't actually think I would need that much money.

The Board: We couldn't spend much money the last decade, but now it's our time to shine again and we want to give you the funds to strengthen the squad and also get some of the bigger prospects.

Dennis Bergkamp: Everythings too good to be true. I would really appreciate getting this job.

The Board: We will sort this out quickly and contact you as soon as possible. Have a good day.

The Arsenal

View attachment 201107

View attachment 997088

Arsenal Football Club

Nickname(s) The Gunners
Founded 1886; 129 years ago as Dial Square
Owner Arsenal Holdings plc
Chairman Sir Chips Keswick

Ground Emirates Stadium
Capacity 60,260

View attachment 201100Arsenal Football Club was founded in 1886 as a munition workers' team from Woolwich, then in Kent, now southeast London. They turned professional in 1891 and joined The Football League two years later. They were promoted to the First Division in 1904 but financial problems meant they were close to bankruptcy by 1910. They were bought out by Sir Henry Norris that year and to improve the club's financial standing, he moved the team to Arsenal Stadium, Highbury, north London in 1913. After the First World War he arranged for the club's promotion back to the First Division, in controversial circumstances.

View attachment 201102

It was not until the appointment of Herbert Chapman in 1925 that Arsenal had their first period of major success; Chapman modernized and reformed the club's practices and tactics, and under him and his successor George Allison (who took over after Chapman's death in January 1934), Arsenal won five First Division titles and two FA Cups in the 1930s. After the Second World War, Tom Whittaker continued the success, leading the club to two First Division titles and an FA Cup. After Whittaker's death Arsenal's fortunes gradually declined; by 1966, they were in mid-table obscurity and had not won a trophy in thirteen years. This led to the dismissal of Billy Wright as manager in 1966, and with it the appointment of Bertie Mee, who would go on to turn around the club's fortunes.

View attachment 201098Following Bertie Mee's appointment in 1966, Arsenal won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, their first European trophy, in 1969–70, and their first League and FA Cup double in 1970–71. The Double-winning side, however, was soon broken up and the following decade was characterised by a series of near misses: Arsenal lost three FA Cup finals (1971–72, 1977–78, and 1979–80) and the 1979–80 Cup Winners' Cup final on penalties. The club's only success during this time was an FA Cup win in 1978–79 against Manchester United.
After stagnation in the 1980s, the return of former player George Graham as manager in 1986 brought a third period of glory. Arsenal won the League Cup in 1986–87, two League title wins in 1988–89 and 1990–91, the FA Cup and League Cup double in 1992–93 and a second European trophy, the Cup Winners' Cup, in 1993–94. However, Graham's reputation was tarnished when it was revealed that he had taken kickbacks for signing certain players and he was sacked in 1995.
View attachment 201097
Arsenal fifth period of success came with the appointment of Arsène Wenger in 1996. Under him, Arsenal won a second league and cup double in 1997–98 and then a third in 2001–02. In addition, the club were victorious in the 2002–03 and 2004–05 FA Cups, and won the Premier League in 2003–04 without losing a single match. In 2005–06 became the first London club to reach the UEFA Champions League Final, and lost 2–1 against FC Barcelona. During the following close season, they left their longstanding home of Highbury to the new Emirates Stadium nearby.In 2016 they won the Cup Double, got runners-up in the BPL and UEFA Champions League. Afterwards Arsène Wenger retired.

Past Glorys:

First Division (until 1992) and Premier League

Winners (13): 1930–31, 1932–33, 1933–34, 1934–35, 1937–38, 1947–48, 1952–53, 1970–71, 1988–89, 1990–91, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2003–04
FA Cup

Winners (12): 1929–30, 1935–36, 1949–50, 1970–71, 1978–79, 1992–93, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015-16 (record)
League Cup

Winners (2): 1986–87, 1992–93, 2015-16
FA Community Shield (FA Charity Shield before 2002)

Winners (14): 1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1948, 1953, 1991 (shared), 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2014, 2015
European

European Cup Winners' Cup

Winners (1): 1993–94
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup

Winners (1): 1969–70

Record Players:

Most games

View attachment 201094
1 David O'Leary (722 games)
2 Tony Adams (669)
3 George Armstrong (621)

Most goals

View attachment 997109

1 Thierry Henry 228 (377)
2 Ian Wright 185 (288)
3 Cliff Bastin 178 (396)

Fun Facts

In August 1928, Arsenal, alongside Chelsea, made history by becoming the first football clubs to wear numbered shirts. A year earlier the first ever live radio commentary of a football match took place, between Arsenal and Sheffield United. Arsenal played in the first match broadcast live on television, against their reserve counterparts in 1937.

Tomorrow I will follow with the squad and the mananging team. I love the Arsenal, so I will get this as good as I can

View attachment 200809
Season Review Arsenal

Today we're going to look back at the last season of Arsenal, which was also Arsene Wenger's last season, as he stepped back as manager of Arsenal Football Club.

They finished second in the league by one point to Chelsea. Most of the season Arsenal sat on top quite comfortably but Chelsea had a great run and won the league in a head to head duel with Arsenal.

View attachment 196946

But Arsenal beat Chelsea for the Capital One Cup.

View attachment 200796

And they also beat Manchester City to the FA Cup.

View attachment 200795

But did lose to Manchester United in the Champions League finale in Milano.

View attachment 200794

View attachment 200793

Last edited:
My new Team part 1

View attachment 200792

Dennis Notes on the team
View attachment 200791

Cech will be my Number 1 for the coming season.
Szczesny looks good, but not as good developed as I hoped.
Ospina is okay, but will only be my number 3.

I think we look quite good on this front, but I do think one of Ospina and Szczesny will be unhappy. Also I would like to get another young and promising goalkeeper to replace Cech sometime in the future.

Rulli looked quite good, but I don't think Real Sociedad will sell me anything.

View attachment 200787

We have too many defenders. Wenger bought Bernat from FC Bayern Munich, who is a great defender. But with Jenkinson returning from his loan spell we have three Full/Wingbacks for each side.
On the other hand the central defence is getting older and older, so we have to replace them soon.

Debuchy and Monreal or Gibbs will leave, because they won't get enough playing time.

Bellerin and Chambers looking very promising and with Bernat only 23 years of age, the only position I want another young prospect is central defence.

I consider Mammana and Babic from my old club, but they won't sell them on a cheap. Also there is a german kid called Sule and Riedewald from Ajax. And a London boy called Oxford from West Ham, who proved his talent last season.

View attachment 200784

View attachment 200782

Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky all left after their contract ran out, so were a bit light on the midfield positions. But Wenger bought Casemiro from Real Madrid last year, who's a quality defensive minded midfielder. With him and Coquelin the defensive part should be settled for now.

Wilshere's injuries thrown him back and I don't think he will fulfil his promising expectations. Ramsey and Özil are looking world class and Cazorla, despite being near 32 now, still can shine for us.

Chamberlain will be played at the wings, as I prefer him there.

Thats only 6 player with one getting old and one injury prone.
I would like to add something, but don't know yet if it will be just for the future. There are already a couple of promising youngster in the academy like Zelalem, Crowley, Maitland-Niles, Dragomir and Bielik. But I don't think any of them will play a role this season.

View attachment 200783

We also look a bit short on quality here. Also only 6 players for 3 spots. Giroud started to bang in the goals last season, but there's no real competition for him. So a big chunk of the budget will go into another striker.
There's a youngster called Donyell Malen who I trained at Ajax and joined last season. I think he can be one of the best strikers in the world if he trains hard.

Sanchez will be set on the left and Welbeck will be his backup. There's Jeff Reine-Adelaide who also can be world class in a few years, but it's too early now.

On the right we have Walcott and Chamberlain. The later is going to be a star for Arsenal, I'm sure of that. And Walcott is a real good player, but I still want to add something big there. Arsenal is know for their injury proneness and I don't want to lose games because of that. Gnabry will be loaned, he's not ready yet.

Campbell don't really have the quality to play for Arsenal, so I will look to sell him.

Conclusion:

There will be a couple of changes and 2 or 3 new faces for the team. And I will check my old teams for talents.

Last edited:
Bernat and Bellerin as full back would win you the league, mate! :D What a duo, holy cow.

News

View attachment 200771

email to: D.Bergkamp[at]arsenal.com

Subject:
Some news

Hi Dennis,

it's great to have you back here at Arsenal. All the staff is looking forward meeting with you and helping you succeed Arsene Wenger. I saw that Arsene already gave you a proper introduction of the players and the staff.

Also we did sign a young player called Iver Fossum from Stromsgodset, who is believed to be the next superstar from their academy. I don't think he's ready to play a big part for us now. But there is quite the interest for a loan.
I would handle that for you, so you can concentrate on the preseason if you want me to.

I did arrange some friendlies and there's also our Asia tour:

View attachment 200758

I added a report of our transfer business until now too.

See you tomorrow,
Steve

attachements:

Fossum.pdf

View attachment 200761

Transfers.pdf

View attachment 200760

Last edited:
Back