Is Messi Over-rated?

Wynters

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this lately and Im starting to think he is.

He hasn't neen able to perform outside of Barca at any stage in his career, Nesta, Cannavaro, old school Italian defenders were absolutely able to destroy him a few years back

And when a team counters Barca perfectly he's never been a match winner. Examples Bayern, Milan, Chelsea over the last two years and Madrid in the league

He comes off as a system player now, you shut down that system, you shut down messi

You don't shut it down, he dominates

Meanwhile players like Pirlo, Xavi, Pele, Garrincha, Maradona Ronaldo, Zidane etc; Were all capable of scoring from anywhere at amy time, it seems if you give messi pressure and make it difficult for him, he's got nothing except the one style of play

Agree/Disagree

Its just a general observation, but a good question, if a team has been able to shut down Xavi and Iniesta, has messi ever gone on to win the game himself? Cause I can't remember a time when he has

He hasn't neen able to perform outside of Barca at any stage in his career, Nesta, Cannavaro, old school Italian defenders were absolutely able to destroy him a few years back

And when a team counters Barca perfectly he's never been a match winner. Examples Bayern, Milan, Chelsea over the last two years and Madrid in the league

He comes off as a system player now, you shut down that system, you shut down messi

Meanwhile players like Pirlo, Xavi, Pele, Garrincha, Maradona Ronaldo, Zidane etc; Were all capable of scoring from anywhere at amy time, it seems if you give messi pressure and make it difficult for him, he's got nothing except the one style of play

Agree/Disagree

Its just a general observation, but a good question, if a team has been able to shut down Xavi and Iniesta, has messi ever gone on to win the game himself? Cause I can't remember a time when he has

Disagree.

If you shut down ANY striker's supply he is in trouble.

As for Messi, he is perhaps the ultimate match winner. If there is one player when fit you can count on to score and turn a game its him.

Messi did and can change the course of the game in an instant, alone! you cannot judge him on this season alone, especially not in the ECL! Barca are still winning the BBVA and he has been instrumental in that!

Does he perform for Argentina? He did near the end of last year if I remember correctly, other than that, no he has not done as well as he has with Barca! I still feel as though you take Xavi/Iniesta out the team, he would only score half the goals he does!

If you take Messi out the team, well you saw what happened!

You cannot call someone who has won the top prize in his/her profession as much as he has and as many times in a row as he has "over rated"

So no, he is not overrated in the slightest!

Last edited:
Absolutely not. The way he can destroy teams with his skill and ability is breathtaking. Same as Christiano Ronaldo. They can put the fear of god into players. The way he can weave his way through and just....do anything is magical. He's not the greatest player ever in the history of football but he is without doubt well on his way. It's not just scoring goals-it's what he brings to a team. Even if Barca/Argentina lose a match, he will still pull off some amazing skill and can still pick apart teams and score some worldies.

You cannot call someone who has won the top prize in his/her profession as much as he has and as many times in a row as he has over rated

Yes but hasnt it hit the stage where he seems to be given these awards. Take the 2010/11 Fifa world player award

It has always gone to a player who wins the world cup the year it is held or performs amazingly

As you said, messi only performed for Argentina at the back end of last year, he only svored one goal in that world cup even against sides like South Korea. Argentina didn't even make the final or the semis and he was awarded for "excellence on the international stage".

Meanwhile Forlan singlehandedly led Uruguay to the semi final in one of the best displays in world cup history, evidently the clear winner for his international performance, what the award is given for.

Even now, Xavi is in my opinion starting to lose his touch, as barca has started to decline so has he, as the system has begun to fail.

Last years Ballon d'or should have been Ronaldos (La liga, Copa Del Rey, more goals if i recall, as well as the semi finals in the CL) He outperformed Messi everywhere yet messi wins the award... Almost like FM (How hard is he to beat out?! Even if ten different players habe had better seasons!)

Yes but hasnt it hit the stage where he seems to be given these awards. Take the 2010/11 Fifa world player award

It has always gone to a player who wins the world cup the year it is held or performs amazingly

As you said, messi only performed for Argentina at the back end of last year, he only svored one goal in that world cup even against sides like South Korea. Argentina didn't even make the final or the semis and he was awarded for "excellence on the international stage".

Meanwhile Forlan singlehandedly led Uruguay to the semi final in one of the best displays in world cup history, evidently the clear winner for his international performance, what the award is given for.

Even now, Xavi is in my opinion starting to lose his touch, as barca has started to decline so has he, as the system has begun to fail.

Last years Ballon d'or should have been Ronaldos (La liga, Copa Del Rey, more goals if i recall, as well as the semi finals in the CL) He outperformed Messi everywhere yet messi wins the award... Almost like FM (How hard is he to beat out?! Even if ten different players habe had better seasons!)

Forlan didnt single handedly lead them, he had a well balanced unit supporting him. Argentina had no such balance.

whereas they have had it for the last year or so, and they and Messi have been brilliant. Messi has been injured, at no point cananyone even begin to claim he is on the decline. He is the best player in the world, and arguably one of the best of all time.

Hes got something crazy like 300 goals in 320 games and hes only 25. I think hes under rated tbh.

Agree/Disagree

i agree, he is over rated, bring him in the premier League to see if he's world class i bet he would'nt hack it in half a season

i agree, he is over rated, bring him in the premier League to see if he's world class i bet he would'nt hack it in half a season

He would, quite easily. The same was said about similar statured players: Aguero, Cazorla, Mata, Silva. Messi is a whole level above. I for one would love to have him on United's right flank.

Barcelona are over rated. Messi is not.. If anything, he is under rated.

He would, quite easily. The same was said about similar statured players: Aguero, Cazorla, Mata, Silva. Messi is a whole level above. I for one would love to have him on United's right flank.

did you know that ronaldo said that the PL was the hardest league to play in, i very much doubt messi can play as he does in the BBVA than the PL

mate as in united's right flank you did mean Newcastle United right ;) lol

did you know that ronaldo said that the PL was the hardest league to play in, i very much doubt messi can play as he does in the BBVA than the PL

Messi is most dangerous when the game has pace, the Premier league is probably the fastest paced league in the world. That's when he beats a man one on one, his acceleration takes him past 3 or 4 defenders. He'd thrive on pace of our game like the others have.

Barcelona are over rated. Messi is not.. If anything, he is under rated.
^This

And whilst I don't think Messi would get 50+ goals in the Prem, to claim he would struggle against the Gary Caldwells, Steven Taylors or Ciaran Clarks of this world is laughable

well when these guys were playing in there prime he was really young like 18-21

^This

And whilst I don't think Messi would get 50+ goals in the Prem, to claim he would struggle against the Gary Caldwells, Steven Taylors or Ciaran Clarks of this world is laughable

completely agree apart from the bit bout taylor he could stop him hes a tank

^This

For him to get 50 goals he would need to be the sole focus. In some ways this has been Barca's undoing. Players like Sanchez no longer quite pulling their weight. Too often I've seen him break into the box in a great position, only to try and pass to Messi, and fluff the final ball.

Wow. Just when you think people can't be any more retarded. Anyone that thinks Messi couldn't handle the dwindling quality of the EPL needs to take up a new sport.

Barca aren't over rated. but they did get complacent. They assumed they couldn't be caught, that teams wouldn't adapt. And they promptly got battered for it vs Bayern.