Is Messi Over-rated?

Overrated. I don't rate him as a player until he at least has couple of tatoos and a former pop star girlfriend with gigantic fake ****.

Also, what is it you said about Cannavaro ?

[video=youtube_share;bF97DMlJMjw]http://youtu.be/bF97DMlJMjw[/video]

Reading though this discussion my faith in people's footballing knowledge has been lost and regained a fair few times.

Messi is the greatest player of his generation, of that there is no doubt. He could hack it in any league. People seem to overrate the quality of the Premier League, if you say that Messi couldn't handle it in the PL then you're simply deluded.

Messi will long be remembered as the Pele of his generation. A superhuman type player that at times defied belief. His career hasn't been without setbacks or low points obviously. But when all is said and done I think anyone with even just a basic knowledge of football would know that Messi was special, and in no way overrated.

how are people even contemplating saying messi is overated... watch the goal he scored against bilbao. literally 4 defenders up clost to him and he dribbles past them as if there not there... to finish it of places it into the bottom of the corner with little or no backlift. greatest ever player in the history of the game.. better than pele who played agaisnt chain smoking 3 at the back centrebacks.

Better than Pele....seriously? Pele has played over 1400 matches and scored over 1200 goals, and he's not even played as many as Maradonna. Not even close right now and not to mention different generations. So yes Messi is on his way to potentially being the best ever-but again, not the greatest player in the history of the game. Way too soon to say that. but on his way. Barring any catostrophic injury. He's got the footballing world at his feet with his age right now-plenty of time to get even better. which is frightening prospect

You are wrong, ****** and overrated. I think I'm gonna be sick and it's your fault. This is the end of everything. You are the end of everything.

And like a tank he would be too slow to catch Messi :p

no mate was joking just cos he such a legend like getting on the ground to head the ball otherwise it would of been a passback,putting begovic off for newcastles goal and handballing it and pretending it hit him in the gut

Also, what is it you said about Cannavaro ?
]

Well heres what i said about Nesta, despite the second part

[video]http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEIQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzfa CiloLAgU&ei=4OCCUaOUDOOsiAez5oHIAg&usg=AFQjCNEKqNvuNx8E0rSg7G2Mcb3_jSgVwQ[/video]

Ive been thinking about this lately and Im starting to think he is.

He hasn't neen able to perform outside of Barca at any stage in his career, Nesta, Cannavaro, old school Italian defenders were absolutely able to destroy him a few years back

And when a team counters Barca perfectly he's never been a match winner. Examples Bayern, Milan, Chelsea over the last two years and Madrid in the league

He comes off as a system player now, you shut down that system, you shut down messi

You don't shut it down, he dominates

Meanwhile players like Pirlo, Xavi, Pele, Garrincha, Maradona Ronaldo, Zidane etc; Were all capable of scoring from anywhere at amy time, it seems if you give messi pressure and make it difficult for him, he's got nothing except the one style of play

Agree/Disagree

Its just a general observation, but a good question, if a team has been able to shut down Xavi and Iniesta, has messi ever gone on to win the game himself? Cause I can't remember a time when he has

Many say that Xavi and Iniesta make Messi look good but it is the other way around MESSI makes Xavi and Iniesta look good just look what happened against Bayern Munich, without Messi Barcelona is not half the team.

[video]http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEIQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzfa CiloLAgU&ei=4OCCUaOUDOOsiAez5oHIAg&usg=AFQjCNEKqNvuNx8E0rSg7G2Mcb3_jSgVwQ[/video]

Juat bringing it onto the current page.

Plus: I'll add, im not arguing that hes one of the top 2/3 players today

I think hes overrated in that he's not even in the top 30 of all time, let alone the greatest ever.

Last edited:
did you know that ronaldo said that the PL was the hardest league to play in, i very much doubt messi can play as he does in the BBVA than the PL

Hated to break it to you EPL is the third best league based on Champions League Winners and runner-ups and fourth best in the Europa League

Just look CL: List of European Cup and UEFA Champions League finals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_Cup_and_Europa_League_finals#By_countries

Not saying the EPL is bad but Spain is not easy you may say that Spain is weak and that is why Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate it but it is not so. La Liga has many good team just look at the European Super Cup this year and 3/8 teams in this years CL where indeed from Spain. This is not a biased opinion as I have not relation to any Spanish team in-fact I am a diehard Serie A fan, as I am Italian.

So to say Messi would flop in the EPL is absurd and CR7 said the EPL is the best league because Ferguson is like a father to him and that is where he made a name for himself and also he knows Messi will probably never play there so he hast to say that to try and raise himself above Messi's shadow.

Last edited:
Better than Pele....seriously? Pele has played over 1400 matches and scored over 1200 goals, and he's not even played as many as Maradonna. Not even close right now and not to mention different generations. So yes Messi is on his way to potentially being the best ever-but again, not the greatest player in the history of the game. Way too soon to say that. but on his way. Barring any catostrophic injury. He's got the footballing world at his feet with his age right now-plenty of time to get even better. which is frightening prospect

Yes Pelé may have scored 1282 goals in 1366 matches BUT 522 of those goals were scored in FRIENDLIES in 562 matches. But 1282-522=760 goals in 804 matches is no small feat but he played his whole career in Brasil which is very easy to score in and in the United States again which is even easier to score in.

View attachment 337523

Also ever since the 1990s defenders have been getting bigger, stronger, smarter, faster...Better so it is much harder to score in this century opposed to the last even if you were playing in Europe but to say a goal scored in Brasil in the 1950s/60s is as hard to score in Europe in the 2000s then you my friend are wrong. Not to say I do not think Pelé was a great player but I believe Messi is the best!
ZoomButt.gif

You can say that it is easier to be Messi than to be Ronaldo, but Messi is certainly not overrated.

Pelé however... ;D

Nesta, on a rare day when he was actually healthy, could propably steal the ball cleanly from a charging elephant. I don't see why being outplayed by him would make Messi any less of a genius.

If anything that shows you exactly how hard it is to stop him - it only takes a one of best centerbacks in entire history of the game.

Everybody else...is not doing so good.

Last edited:
Especially after watching how he smashed Premier league's one of the best defense (ManUtd and Arsenal) it's absolutely retarded to think Messi won't score as many goals in PL. If anything PL defense are not tactical, he will have field day exploiting the gaps between the lines.

Um...really? ARSENAL with the EPL's best defense?
ARSENAL. BEST DEFENSE.
I'm going to be rolling this one in my head for a while, sorry.