It is not cheating, it is exploiting the AI. Personally I do neither. I can't see this happening in real life so I would not do it. Regardless I hope it is fixed in the next patch.

Portsmouth did it last year with some of there players as they could not pay there wages very clever idea should work well with lower league clubs

yeah there doing it with michael brown at the moment

It depends , did you do it with the intention of letting them go after 49 games and making a profit?
If you did i would consider that very unprofessional towards your players.

IMHO anything that isn't realistic is cheating, no matter how easy it is to do using the features within the game...

I have to disagree mate. If something in the game's unrealistic, it's the developers fault - not ours, because they put it in the game, and what is the point in playing the game if we're gonna avoid some of its features because we believe we are gaining an unfair advantage?

The game imposes many disadvantages to us that are unrealistic, too (such as every player demanding an improved contract immediately after rejecting a bid for them from another club), so it works both ways. There's always going to be some unrealistic aspects to the game (some work in our favour, some don't), but personally I wouldn't avoid such features just because I didn't think they were realistic. Each to their own, though.

I have to disagree mate. If something in the game's unrealistic, it's the developers fault - not ours, because they put it in the game, and what is the point in playing the game if we're gonna avoid some of its features because we believe we are gaining an unfair advantage?

It is not a 'feature' as you call it, but a bug. So to take advantage of it is exploitation. This is exactly the same as using FMRTE or a scouting program in many peoples eyes - cheating. Doing this takes away from the realism and immersion the game provides, so I avoid it. But, at the end of the day, it is up to you how you want to play your game.

The game imposes many disadvantages to us that are unrealistic, too (such as every player demanding an improved contract immediately after rejecting a bid for them from another club), so it works both ways. There's always going to be some unrealistic aspects to the game (some work in our favour, some don't), but personally I wouldn't avoid such features just because I didn't think they were realistic. Each to their own, though.

Yeah mate but i guess its a catch 22.
You can argue that it's unfair what disadvantages we have to deal with and we can exploit the game to whatever level we want but if you change your database or save everytime and reload when you lose wouldn't this be classified as cheating?
But isin't that just something that can be exploited?

i agree with both sides, if you wanna do it do it and i must admit it's pretty clever and not much different to signing a cheap wonderkid then selling him off when he's worth 30million is it?

It's a good bit of business but it is probably a less ethical way of managing your team.

As FM is a management sim, and this is completely unrealistic (yet clever, kudos for the idea), I would have to say yes it is cheating. Teams sometimes use the 'fee after x games' clause, but no team would accept a bid of £0 unless finances dictated and they needed to reduce the wage budget (ie going into administration)

It's not cheating at all!
It's brilliant.
Great Idea.
If you have just used the game that's not cheating.
It's a very smart business Idea.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

IMHO anything that isn't realistic is cheating, no matter how easy it is to do using the features within the game...

...but it's clever all the same :)

Taking a blue square team to the pre, and champions league greatness, is highly unrealistic but you can still do it the game. Would you call that cheating?

Taking a blue square team to the pre, and champions league greatness, is highly unrealistic but you can still do it the game. Would you call that cheating?

so true!, its almost impossible even with an amazing coach

no not cheating, just using the transfer rules to your advantage. i'm doing the same at liverpool, and have brought samuel e'to, perotta, scott parker, gareth barry and ruud van nistalroy all for 0 and £40million after 50 league games, which they wont reach as i will sell them first!

Wouldn't this make for very inconsistent results, as the dynamics of your squad are always changing every season?

Wouldn't this make for very inconsistent results, as the dynamics of your squad are always changing every season?

yeah but doing it only like twice would set your team up with enough financial muscle to become a European giant

Features that we find unrealistic, such as the bug re: contracts that you've highlighted can be reported to SI who will, normally, make the necessary changes to the game to FIX IT! The £0 fee with addons is a fairly standard practice in football these days, especially in the lower leagues... to exploit it in the way the OP has is not what SI intended when they made it possible to do. If you choose to exploit it because it's possible, then that's your choice... that doesn't mean that "in the spirit of the game" it isn't cheating.

It's probably not as unrealistic as you think... if ten people were playing the same save (i.e. a network game) and they ALL took a BSP team to the Prem... THAT'S unrealistic, but a single team, over a number of seasons is totally possible, even in today's football world.

Course, I'm talking about doing it with strict LLM rules to keep the realism aspect (which many people DO NOT do)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/31330-LLM-Guidelines-please-read-before-posting

The Guidelines to playing an LLM game

The ideology behind playing LLM is to play a game as realistic as FM allows.

·This means doing it yourself, using your own mettle, succeeding or failing, but using no outside help.

·Outside help means anything not included in the game. This specifically includes "real life" knowledge. Just because "Wullie Hackum" is good in real life doesn't mean he'll be good in FM.

For this reason we rely heavily on the Scouts.

·We trust them. They may be rubbish, but they're all we've got for "first hand" experience.

·Players may be identified from media reports...and scouted, from games played against us...and scouted.

·No-one will be banned for scouring the transfer list, but it's generally frowned upon by LLM players. Players found that way would be scouted or trialled by the club, no manager in their right mind would sign a player based on a name on a list.

LLM doesn't mean leaving a team just because it's been promoted.

·A career should be followed like a real life one. Would a manager leave a club just because he's got it promoted? Maybe because another club comes in for him, but not because he's reached the Football League.

Start in the lowest possible division in any given nation

·Default leagues only. As the use of editors is not allowed in LLM, you can not start in a competition that has to be added via the editor
·This can mean the only division in the game (e.g. Wales)
·This does not mean The Championship, League 1 or League 2 in England - you should start in the Conference North or South, Conference Premier at a push.

There's an adage in LLM, "If you have to ask if you're cheating, then you very probably are"

·This is a good way to judge yourself whether what you're doing is LLM, just ask that question (regarding "cheating", signing players, scouting, looking at other teams) and think about what a real-life manager would or could do.

Parent/Feeder Clubs

·Please note, although they seem to be allowed in the game, that in the Home Nations and Germany Parent/Feeder Clubs are specifically banned by the FAs (within and between UK Home Nations), all Clubs must be independent to compete in the Leagues and Cups. This isn't an LLM Rule this is real life.

LLM and the Tactical Tipping and Good Players Guide

·The LLM style of play is mutually exclusive to the use of Tactical Tipping and Good Players Guide fora. The ethos is completely different and is incompatible with those styles of playing. If you want to post in those fora, good luck to you but it's incompatible with posting in here.

Keep it real, keep it LLM, and you won't go far wrong.

It is not actually cheating, but I think there is a word for not cheating but exploiting game design, cheesing.