It's All A Load of Balls...Back With A New European Journeyman Story

BallyC7

Reaction score
A Previous Story

I've been a fan of the Football Manager series for a number of years now and to say that I'm addicted would be a massive understatement, racking up well over 1000 hours on last year's FM17 version.

I'd never written a story before until only a few months ago when I was looking for some inspiration, as for the first time ever I'd become slightly bored with the game. So I tried something completely different and new for me. My first ever journeyman save and to accompany the journey, I wrote a story along the way. I was hooked again and I've got to say it was by far the most enjoyable game of football manager I'd ever played, and I really enjoyed sharing it with my story on here too. The story saw me start out at a lowly Swedish club called Ange, moving to Premier Division side IFK Norrkoping, before swapping Sweden for Italy as I joined Sampdoria. I ended up in Portugal managing Vit.Guimaraes after that.... The full story can be seen here: It's all a load of balls.... The Rise Through Europe

I bought FM18 when it was released, but haven't had the best of luck since. I started a European Journeyman save and was loving it, but my laptop broke after a few seasons and I lost the save. I then tried a couple of other different saves, with different goals but ultimately, I've missed the European Journeyman save....so I'm back and doing it again. With a new laptop and a rolling save option, there will be no going back from here and this will be my one and only story going forward....until the release of Football Manager 2019 that is ;)

What's The Target?

There is no specific plan on the agenda. I don't have a target club I want to manage, I don't have a league I especially want to manage in. I'm playing this one with an open mind and seeing where the world of FM takes me.....and do you know what.....I can't ****** wait!

Also, I'd like to note that every decision I make in the game is my own. I do not download or copy other people's tactics, training schedules, or players shortlists etc... I'd rather fail but know I've done everything off my own back, than be a very successful manager but using someone else's expertise - personally I just wouldn't feel like I've achieved anything. I want to be fully responsible for my success or failure at each individual club I end up managing.

I'll be sharing all of my achievements here and I hope you enjoy following my story along the way. As always, your comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Running Story Achievements

Career To Date

October 2020 - Present - Port Vale (England)
January 2018 - July 2020 - Mosonmagyarovar (Hungary); Resigned
June 2017 - November 2017 - Nazilli Belediyespor (Turkey); Sacked

Job Statistics

Port Vale (England) - Played 31, Won 11, Drawn 5, Lost 15, Win Ratio 35% (as of end of 2020/21 season)
Mosonmagyarovar (Hungary) - Played 104, Won 48, Drawn 22, Lost 34, Win Ratio 46%
Nazilli Belediyespor (Turkey) - Played 17, Won 2, Drawn 6, Lost 9, Win Ratio 12%

Running Trophy Count

Mosonmagyarovar (Hungary);
2019 - Nemzeti Bajnoksag II

Last edited:
Starting Leagues

34o3uvr.png

Starting Leagues

So as I start my FM18 journey into football management, the first task in the game is to choose the countries and leagues I wish to load at the start of my journey..... I will play this game only with European leagues as it's what I know best, being from England myself. I'll try to work my way around the smaller nations first to build a reputation, before hopefully winning major titles with teams in the more reputable European leagues....That's the plan anyway!

The leagues I'll be kicking off with are....

Austria - Sky Go Erste Liga & above
Bulgaria - Vtora Liga & above
Croatia - Druga hrvatska nogometna liga & above
Czech Republic - Fotbalova narodni liga & above
Greece - Football League & above
Hungary - Nemzeti Bajnoksag & above
Romania - Liga II & above
Serbia - Prva liga Srbija & above

Switzerland - Brack.ch Challenge League
Turkey - Spor Toto 2. Lig & above

As I start to search the open job market, I wonder where I'll end up to start my career in football management.

Bagged A Job

No Experience, No Qualifications, No Clue?

So this is me. I have no formal coaching badge, I have no previous experience as a player other than that of running a field on a Sunday morning with mostly overweight men, all with a hangover from a night before on the lash. 'Would anyone take me seriously?' I thought as I searching the job market. But I was determined if nothing else, and if I'm not fussy and take any old job that comes my way, then surely I'll bag something....eventually.

View attachment 71493

It Doesn't Take Long To Bag A Job...

I sent off the applications for about every open job available. Mostly, they were clubs that I'd never heard of and if I'm honest couldn't even pronounce properly. Clubs from Romania, Turkey, Hungary and Czech Republic would all wake up to a speculative application from an unknown manager from England. But hey, we've all gotta start somewhere and I was confident one of these clubs would give me my shot and get me on my way to management super stardom.....either that or I'd be the laughing stock of a lot of board rooms as my CV would be passed around the office for everyone to have a giggle at!

But to my surprise, I get an almost instantaneous response from a 3rd tier club in Turkey, inviting me for an interview. A club called Aydin Nazilli Belediyespor. As I was trying to work out the correct way to say their name, I thought to myself 'god this lot must be desperate'.

The whole process was rather rushed through to be honest. I had the interview the very next day over skype and before I knew it they'd offered me the job, 1 year contract with a weekly salary of £325.

The fact they seemed they just wanted to get ANYONE in as soon as possible didn't bother me at all. Maybe it should but I was in no position to question it. They wanted me...I wanted a job in football management....any job....and for now this would do me just fine!

We're up and running!

View attachment 71494

Nazilli Belediyespor

View attachment 71492

Nazilli Belediyespor

Nickname: None
Year Founded: 1984
Value: £220k
City: Aydin

Professional Status: Professional
Training Facilities: Basic
Youth Facilities: Basic
Corporate Facilities: Fairly Basic

Stadium: Nazilli Ilce Stadyumu
Owned By: Council
Year Built: Unknown
Capacity: 5,000 all seater

Current Division: Spor Toto 2. Lig Kirmizi Grup (Turkish 3rd Tier)
Fierce Rivals: None
Other Rivals: None
Derbies: None

View attachment 71491

Previous Honours:

View attachment 71490

Good luck with your journeyman save mate. Will be following.:)
Would you like me to have a bash at designing some kits for your save?

Good luck with your journeyman save mate. Will be following.:)
Would you like me to have a bash at designing some kits for your save?

Can do mate....I can't find Turkish 3rd tier anywhere

Squad Evaluation

Nazilli-Belediyespor-Logo-128x128.jpg

Squad Evaluation

- My whole first team squad is Turkish
- All but one player has a balanced personality
- I have too many players only rated 2.5 stars or less...it looks like the squad lacks depth
- Despite the above, there are a number of highly rated players for this level
- Hardly any of my players are over 6ft
- I seem to have players for every position on the pitch
- There are no injuries within the squad
- Morale is quite good across the squad

View attachment 71483

Best Players

View attachment 71480

A pacey winger with a good first touch and decent dribbling ability. Has some good flair and technique to show off down either side of the pitch.

View attachment 71479

A defensive midfielder with good tackling and passing ability. Decent work rate and teamwork too. Could be a key figure in linking the defence to the midfield in this team.

View attachment 71477

A good goalie for this level of football.

Dynamics

Looking at the dynamics, it seems that the squad are pretty ****** at my appointment and have a lack of respect for me as I take over. Match cohesion is dreadful, but there is an ok dressing room atmosphere.

View attachment 71482

Finances

The finances are pretty poor with the club already in the red. We are a little over our wage budget and have nothing available for transfers.

View attachment 71481

My first job on the agenda will be to fill up the staff room a bit as I find myself sitting here drinking tea by myself on my first day in the job!

View attachment 71476

Did you stop doing the other journeyman save ? Tupi FC thing ..

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Did you stop doing the other journeyman save ? Tupi FC thing ..

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Yea mate afraid so....being outside of Europe just didn't interest me. I couldn't get into it, the leagues had such strange formats! I'm keeping this save to Europe only....how I enjoyed FM17 so much! If you followed the Tupi one, I hope you will follow here. I don't intend to start anymore games now...this is my one and only no matter what happens

Last edited:
Good luck mate. Hate when you can't get into a save! Just one question though, is that actually their badge? If so I love them already. Will be following

Good luck mate. Hate when you can't get into a save! Just one question though, is that actually their badge? If so I love them already. Will be following

I think they have two but this is definitely one and by far my favourite lol

Pre Season Roundup

Pre Season Roundup

Pre season went well! I tinkered with a few different tactics and moved things around for each game and I'm pleased that we didn't suffer one defeat in the process. Four wins and a draw against Turkish opposition from leagues below and above us. Defensively we've looked pretty solid with three clean sheets and this could be the foundation we build a good season on this year.

View attachment 71394

The bookies released their odds for the upcoming season and at 200-1 to win the title, it's fair to say that they don't fancy us! In fact, a 13th placed finish is what's predicted and with odds of only 3-1 to be relegated, they're expecting us to struggle. The two teams expected to fighting it out for top spot are Sakaryaspor and Saniurfaspor.

View attachment 71393

I felt it was important to get ourselves a decent senior affiliate. The board agreed and came back with four options, all Turkish clubs from the top tier. The natural choice for me to go with was Galatassaray.

View attachment 71392

The board also set their expectations for the upcoming season. They're expecting a mid table finish in the league and for us to reach the 4th round of the cup.

View attachment 71391

August 2017

August 2017

We kicked off the season with a couple of 0-0 draws. Our disappointing attacking performances were balanced out by our superb defensive ones. A couple of draws is not the worst way to start the season and at least we can say we're unbeaten at the end of August.

View attachment 71351

The Games

View attachment 71349

Our first game of the season was a home match against a side predicted to finish 7th and only 14-1 to win the title, so it provided us with a stern test. The defence picked up where they left off in pre season as we picked up a credible 0-0 draw.

View attachment 71348

Our first away game of the season was against a side that were expected to finish around the same position as us, so we had a good opportunity to grab at least a point. And that was exactly what we took as we recorded our 2nd 0-0 draw in a row. Although we did squander a massive chance to win the game in the 90th minute when Kaplan fired straight at the keeper after finding himself clean through and one on one.

Player of the Month

Emre Balak
Centre Back

Appearances: 2
Goals: 0
Assists: 0
Key Tackles: 4
Average Rating: 7.20

The man at the heart of the defence, behind those two clean sheets.

Other News

The draw for the third round of the Ziraat Turkiye Kupasi, or simply The Turkish Cup, was made and we were handed a home tie against Dardanelspor....from the lower leagues.

View attachment 71344

As the transfer window came to a close, I've not made a single signing since taking over. I've been looking and the scouts have made a few recommendations but either the players available will not improve our squad....or with the dire wage budget situation as it is, we simply couldn't afford anyone.

Turkey as a whole had a very quiet August for transfers. Galatasaray made the biggest signing, that of 20 year old striker Kubilay Kanatsizkus, for a fee that could rise to £4.3 million.

View attachment 71339

Europe was also pretty quiet throughout August with the biggest transfer coming in at only £10.25 million for Ibrahim Amadou who moved from Lille to Marseille. A surprising lack of movement this transfer window!

View attachment 71340

Looking Ahead; September

View attachment 71343

Four league games and the 3rd round of the cup coming up. As my knowledge of Turkish football is next to none, I'm not really sure what to expect and we'll just take it as it comes for now.

Last edited:
September 2017

September 2017

View attachment 71211

Oh dear, our league form has not been good this month as we still await a win! We did however progress in the cup with a 2-1 win over our lower league opponents. We need to pick up our form or my first job in management could very quickly come under scrutiny before I even get a real chance to show what I'm about!

View attachment 71144

The Games

View attachment 71210

A mistake from left back Gokhan Dincer allowed them in for a goal midway through the first half. Despite consistent pressure from us throughout the remainder of the game, we were unable to find an equalizer. Kaplan was particularly poor up front today, wasting chance after chance shooting from long range when he had better passing options available.

View attachment 71209

Pendikspor came into this one following a decent start to their campaign, two wins and a draw from their opening three games. To make our task even harder, my right back was sent off in only the 14th minute and I had no natural right back on the bench. We could now only set up to counter and hope to at least grab a draw. To everyone's shock we actually took the lead through a cracking free kick from Hakan Turan, but their extra man, combined with the fact I had players now playing out of position, was too much and they overpowered us for much of the game as we fell to another defeat.

View attachment 71208

Kirklarelispor had actually made an even worse start to the season than us and were rock bottom of the table coming into this game. However, my hopes of getting my first competitive win under my belt were dashed as we laboured to another 0-0 draw. Goals were proving very hard to come by already this year and in 5 matches we still haven't scored a goal from open play!

View attachment 71207

A massive sigh of relief as we hold on and I secure my first win in management! Unfortunately, it's in the cup and I'd have much preferred 3 valuable points in the league, but hopefully this will give the lads a confidence boost and we can kick on from here.

View attachment 71206

Back to league action and Sakaryaspor, who were pre season favourites to win the league, were our next opponents. Being away from home and on a **** run of form meant we came into this one at odds of 10-1 to pick up the win! Despite us being massive outsiders, we were really holding our own until the end of the second half when another defensive mistake cost us a goal...Dincer dwelled on the ball, only to be tackled and allow them clean through on goal to score. But I can't fault the lads...they could of crumbled but they didn't and they gave it a ****** good go to get back on terms in the 2nd half. Unfortunately we missed some great chances AGAIN and gave away a couple of late penaltys when Sakaryaspor were catching us on the break, and fell to a 3-0 defeat. Strikers apart, I can't knock the lads for their effort in this one though.

Player of the Month

Evren Ozyigit
Goalkeeper

Appearances: 5
Clean Sheets: 1
Saves: 20
Average Rating: 7.02

T
he man between the sticks has kept our scores to a reasonable level this month and without him, some of our losses could have been embarrassing.

Other News

Following our win in the third round, our name was in the hat for round 4 of the Ziraat Turkiye Kupasi. We've been handed another home tie against Altinordu, from the league above.

View attachment 71201

Centre back Emre Balak suffered an injury that will see him out for nearly a month.

View attachment 71198

I've already started receiving some pressure from the players, following my poor start.

View attachment 71197

Looking Ahead;October

View attachment 71196

We must try to improve our form next month....no excuses!

Last edited:
October 2017

October 2017

View attachment 71157

Despite kicking off the month with our first league win of the season, it quickly went downhill from there. We crashed out of the cup after giving away a 2-0 lead, and recorded 3 losses in the league which sees us drop to the bottom of the table. The pressure is very much on as my job reads unstable on the job security page for the first time.

View attachment 71149

The Games

View attachment 71156

Finally....a league win on the board! A goal in each half was enough to get us a deserved 2-1 victory. Their goal was a penalty which never was....poor decision from the ref. It was a nervous final few minutes after that but the boys held on well!

View attachment 71155

It was important we didn't follow up our first league win with a defeat and I'll take the draw here as we were second best for majority of this match. We defended well and a long ball over the top in the final minutes of the game set Yilmaz through on goal and he slotted home to put us in front and it looked like we might ****** all 3 points. I think the excitement of the prospect of back to back wins got to the lads as Zonguldak went straight down the other end and equalized with virtually the last kick of the game.

View attachment 71154

The biggest defeat of my career so far. We were really poor....nothing else to say!

View attachment 71153

Another defeat and I'm starting to feel the pressure as we drop into the relegation zone. I tried a different formation today in order to shake things up but we were still by far and away the worst side on the pitch. The only highlight of the game for us was a late consolation goal from Oztuvan, his first for the club!

View attachment 71152

We crash out of the cup. Bitterly disappointing after going 2-0 up and then completely folding!

View attachment 71151

F*cking awful! This was a game where we should have done so much better against a side that were also struggling in the bottom 4. But my team had no fight, no passion, no nothing! Useless!

Player of the Month

Berkay Oztuvan
Central Midfielder

Appearances: 6
Goals: 1
Assists: 1
Key Passes: 6
Average Rating: 6.82

The best of a bad bunch. I really didn't want to give an award this month after the whole team has been shocking and showed me nothing! And away from the field, their all whingey little b*stards!

Other News

I have the players at my office door whinging again. This time over the treatment of a teammate (Mert Capar) who I refused to give first team football to. The reason why - I played him in the opening few games and he recorded consistent 6.1 - 6.4 ratings! In other words, he was ****!

View attachment 71150

More injuries to the squad this month, which really doesn't help when you can't win a game to save your life even with your strongest team.

View attachment 71148

View attachment 71147

View attachment 71146

Looking Ahead;November

View attachment 71145

It can't get any worse. The only way is up....so I hear.

November 2017

November 2017

It doesn't get any better for us, as we continue to struggle throughout November.

View attachment 71143

View attachment 71142

The Games

View attachment 71141

A bore draw to kick off the month, which isn't a bad result as our opponents sat 3rd in the table.

View attachment 71140

From playing 3rd in the league in our last game, we now took on the team in 2nd. As expected, it was a tough match and our opponents outshone us for most of it. But we did have small patches of success on the break. However, on the day, just the one goal from them was enough to consign us to another defeat and the missed penalty from us was a bitter pill to swallow! I'm starting to fear the worst after every game that my job may be coming to an end sooner rather than later.

View attachment 71139

In the match that was dubbed 'El Sackico' by the media, this one saw us take on 17th placed Fethiyespor. And we did salvage a draw against our fellow struggling opponents after going 2-0 down and we did create more chances this game than in any other all season, although we did miss a penalty for the 2nd game in a row (kinda makes you wonder if the players want me gone)... could this be the start of a turn around? Would I get the chance to turn it around?

View attachment 71138

As we took on mid table Hacettepe SK, I feared the worst going into it. I'd lost all confidence in this club, this team, these players. And my initial gut feeling was correct as we were royally trounced 5-0, despite the stats suggesting a relatively even game. The chairman was in the stands as I walked down the touchline at the full time whistle, I took one look up at him. He looked down at me and shook his head - that kind of disappointed shake that your mum used to do to you as a kid when you got caught doing something wrong. I feared the worst...

Everyone Turned On Me

The Players...

View attachment 71137

The fans...

View attachment 71136

And the chairman...

View attachment 71135

Sacked

Sure enough, the inevitable came. I was fired, having not reached the points total I'd been asked to get when summoned to the chairman at the start of the month.

How do I feel....disappointed in the club to be honest. I felt that I had a big job when I came here. There was no staff, a handful of decent players and a pretty miserable atmosphere around the whole club (considering it was the start of the season and plenty to look forward to). I felt that the players never really gave me a chance and made my life difficult.

So I'm feeling a little relieved that the sack that's been looming over my head for the past month has finally come. I'm wasting no time in getting out there and looking for a new job and a fresh start. Whether that will be in Turkey or somewhere else in Europe remains to be seen, but I'm convinced I've got more to offer than what I've shown here. I just hope someone else will give me a shot with my dismal record of an 11% win ratio to my name.

View attachment 71134