It's All A Load of Balls...Back With A New European Journeyman Story

Just finishing reading your story my friend loving it so far ! I am still dazled from the badge of the first team you took over ha ha ha!

Thanks very much mate. Updates have been quite slow over the last couple of weeks as work and kids have dominated all my spare time, but I should be able to find some time to fit in a few FM hours over the next few weeks!

And that badge was pretty special to be fair!

April 2021

1928.png

April 2021

View attachment 66910

The weather throughout April was wet and miserable, and the football wasn't much better as we kicked off the month with 3 straight defeats which saw us fall back into the relegation battle and would leave us fighting for survival again, after we'd started to pull away. However, we finished the month strongly with a couple of wins, which leaves us 5 points clear of relegation with only 1 game to go....Yes, we'd done it. I'd kept this mediocre squad in the league and could now look to put my own stamp on the team, ready for next season!

Swindon were crowned champions this month and there is only 1 playoff spot left up for grabs on the final day of the season, with Portsmouth looking the most likely to secure it. Carlisle and Grimsby were confirmed as relegated and will be playing National League football next season.

View attachment 66909

The Games

View attachment 66908

Awful, just awful! Probably our worst performance since I took over.

View attachment 66907

And it didn't get much better against 18th placed Yeovil who have probably guaranteed safety for themselves with this win over us.

View attachment 66906

Following the bad start to the month, we'd dropped to 22nd before this game, meaning this one had become a must win against a 23rd placed Grimsby Town. But within 20 minutes, we found ourselves in real trouble at 2-0 down and for the remainder of the first half we just wern't in the game. A firm bollocking at half time sparked the lads into action in the 2nd half, but we could only manage a late consolation goal as we fell to a terrible defeat which sees us drop into the relegation places.

View attachment 66905

After beginning the month with 3 straight defeats, I wasn't exactly coming into the game with Swindon brimming with confidence. They were top of the league and had won 4 of their last 5. However, to mine and every fan inside Vale Park's surprise, we started really brightly and were 2-0 up inside the first 25 minutes, through two Dan Turner goals.

View attachment 66904

I was really hoping we could carry some momentum into this match following the win against top of the league Swindon. But despite having more of the ball, our play in the final third was pretty poor against a solid Wycombe defence and we struggled to create chances, as we went down to another defeat. Not out of trouble yet!

View attachment 66903

We end the month with a huge 1-0 win against mid table Notts County, which is enough to cement our place in the division next year as it puts us 5 points clear of the relegation places with only 1 game left next month. The boys did me proud today in a close fought game and came through to ensure we're not in a final game battle to stay up.

Player of the Month

Dan Turner
Inside Forward

Appearances: 4
Goals: 2
Assists: 0
Shots: 9
Average Rating: 7.08

When your team loses 4 games in a month, its tough to find a player who really stood out. But I have to give this award to Turner this month simply for his man of the match performance against Swindon in a game that was huge for us.

Other News

Peterborough lifted the Checkatrade Trophy after defeating Blackpool in the final on penalties.

View attachment 66901

Looking Ahead; May

With safety secured, we have just one final game to play against Luton. Obviously, we'll try to finish on a high.

View attachment 66902

May 2021; End of Season

1928.png

May 2021; End of Season

View attachment 66891

We didn't really have anything to play for, having already secured safety in the division. But Luton needed a win to potentially secure an automatic promotion place. Despite our opponents having a lot more on the line, it was us who came out on top and we finish the season on a high with a good away win. The 3 points actually propelled us a couple of places up the table and meant we finished 19th in the end.

View attachment 66890

Despite missing out on the automatic promotion places after their loss to us on the final day of the season, Luton still managed to go up after winning the playoffs.

View attachment 66883

Other News

Despite the board injecting a fair amount of money into the club and us receiving our payment for participating in the league, our bank balance remains in the negative.

View attachment 66889

View attachment 66888

View attachment 66887

The commercial summary doesn't make for great reading either with the club not announcing any new sponsorship deals.

View attachment 66886

Although the dynamics look good after our strong finish to the season.

View attachment 66885

The board announced the budgets for next season.

View attachment 66884

And as the English football season came to a close, Everton managed to lift the FA Cup with an extra time victory over Manchester City.

View attachment 66882

View attachment 66881

End of Seasons Stats & Awards

1928.png

End of Season Player Stats & Awards

Top Average Rating (in relation to appearances):

1st: Nathan Tormey - AMRL - 19 appearances - 7.20
2nd: Ethan Ampadu - CB - 16 appearances - 7.15
3rd: Dan Turner - AMRL/ST - 44 appearances - 7.00

Top Goalscorers:

1st: Dan Turner - AMRL/ST - 20
2nd: Owen Gallacher - ST - 6
3rd: Rhys Murphy - ST - 4

Top Assists:

1st: Nathan Tormey - AMRL - 8
2nd: Dan Turner - AMRL/ST - 6
3rd: Matthew Ward - CM - 4

View attachment 66880

View attachment 66879

View attachment 66878

European Competition Winners

European Competition Winners 2020/21

I thought I'd provide a bit of an update from around Europe as most of the major competitions have now come to a close for the 2020/21 season...

English Premiership Winners: Manchester United
English Premiership Runners Up: Tottenham
FA Cup Winners: Everton
Carabao Cup Winners: Arsenal

Spanish La Liga Winners: Real Madrid
Spanish La Liga Runners Up: Barcelona
Copa del Rey Winners: Barcelona

German Bundesliga Winners: Bayern Munich
German Bundesliga Runners Up: Borussia Dortmund
DFB-Pokal Winners: Bayern Munich

French Ligue 1 Winners: Paris Saint Germain
French Ligue 1 Runners Up: AS Monaco