Joe Cole signs contract with Arsenal

• Thread starter Thread starter Gooner12
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 79
  • Views Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely, but we will see.

Keown, Seaman, Dixon, Adams and Campbell all played for Wenger. Possibly his best ever backline, he didnt replace them with Frenchmen, at least until they retired, with the exception of Campbell who wasnt sold, but chose to leave on a Bosman.

The point is, Wenger doesnt see value for money from buying English players, they are almost always overpriced.

Take Carrick as an example, hes not a world class player even now and certainly wasnt when he moved to United for a total fee of almost £20million. Not exactly the same kind of player but Wenger purchased Alex Song for a cool £1million at the same time.

Can you tell me that Carrick has been 20 times better than Song? No.

Sorry but thats not the way to compare. I havent read in what context you have posted this, but this logic is laughable. When we made a move for Carrick he was one of the best CMs for spurs who has superb season and Carrick was at the heart of mid field. Arsenal bought Song when he was 18 and was no where near ready to play for Arseanl whereas Carrick was slotted directly into midfield. Its not a rocket science to know that Unproven Africans from small clubs costs peanuts rather than big bucks proven player costs. And in 4 seasons, carrick was superb for 3 seasons forming great partnership with Scholes and Fletcher whereas Song took like 3-4 years to become regular.

I think he will be a great signing for Arsenal and if I was Arsene I would sent Walcott out on loan to a championship team for a season so he can learn how to play football

We'll take him (A)

Comparing Carrick with Denilson?? Lol. Next what Bendtner with Rooney??
carrick and denilson play very similar roles for their teams... hence the comparison

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Comparing Carrick with Denilson?? Lol. Next what Bendtner with Rooney??
no it would be rvp to rooney, bendtner to berbatov.

I don't know why he signed Walcott, that is maybe the exception to the rule but my original point still remains. Why is it that Walcott is the only english player in the Arsenal senior squad, this is the english league and only one english player?????

Can you tell me how many Italians are there in Inter starting 11? Now dont start Jose hates Italy.

if carrick wasnt english he wouldnt hvae cost the best part of 20 million. the point is you buy an english player with lots of potential, he will cost MUCH more than a foreign player with lots of potential. you think we would have paid 12.5 mill for ronaldo if he had been english?

Sorry but thats not the way to compare. I havent read in what context you have posted this, but this logic is laughable. When we made a move for Carrick he was one of the best CMs for spurs who has superb season and Carrick was at the heart of mid field. Arsenal bought Song when he was 18 and was no where near ready to play for Arseanl whereas Carrick was slotted directly into midfield. Its not a rocket science to know that Unproven Africans from small clubs costs peanuts rather than big bucks proven player costs. And in 4 seasons, carrick was superb for 3 seasons forming great partnership with Scholes and Fletcher whereas Song took like 3-4 years to become regular.

This is where Man Utd fans will have to disagree. I didnt think he was all that at Spurs and i still dont rate him now. The fact that Barry is ahead of him in the pecking order for England speaks volumes for me.

My context was that Wenger doesnt see value for money in buying English, so by saying everyone knows Africans from small clubs are cheap, you are agreeing with me :)

Back to the context I was talking in. The bottom line is that Arsenals defensive central midfield trio of Diaby, Denilson and Song cost less than half the amount that United payed for Carrick...

if carrick wasnt english he wouldnt hvae cost the best part of 20 million. the point is you buy an english player with lots of potential, he will cost MUCH more than a foreign player with lots of potential. you think we would have paid 12.5 mill for ronaldo if he had been english?

If Carrick was born as Italian you would have singing praises on him. He had one bad season and you all think he is **** player.

Doubt that this is true, Goal.com are not a reliable source. I will only believe it when it is on Arsenal.com

If Carrick was born as Italian you would have singing praises on him. He had one bad season and you all think he is **** player.

No ive always thought he was AVERAGE. And certainly not worth almost £20 million. Wouldnt make a difference if he was Italian or English.

where have i said he was a **** player? he is a decent player. and NOT worth 20 million. if he wasnt english we would have paid half that price. read what i said

also it took 3 seasons for fletcher to be a regular as well, i remeber when united fans used to boo him

This is where Man Utd fans will have to disagree. I didnt think he was all that at Spurs and i still dont rate him now. The fact that Barry is ahead of him in the pecking order for England speaks volumes for me.

He had good season so only SAF made a move. Intially bid was made for 10M then like Berba saga it got to 18M.

My context was that Wenger doesnt see value for money in buying English, so by saying everyone knows Africans from small clubs are cheap, you are agreeing with me :)

I also said it took 4 years to break into the team and for United 1 season without major trophy is crisis, you have to think how our state would have been had SAF followed wenger policy of buying Child labors.

Back to the context I was talking in. The bottom line is that Arsenals defensive central midfield trio of Diaby, Denilson and Song cost less than half the amount that United payed for Carrick...\

Arsenal's front line/Backup of RVP Bendtner Vela cost less than 1/3rd of what we paid to certain 18 year old Rooney.
Anderson was bought at 18M and so was Nani both are foreigners.

United Backline of
Neville Brown Evans O'shea cost 0 while they paid nearly 10M to Vermaleen. oO)

No ive always thought he was AVERAGE. And certainly not worth almost £20 million. Wouldnt make a difference if he was Italian or English.

I agree, English players have their valuations monumentally hiked up for example Milner looking like he's going to leave for around £30mil. I really rate Milner but he is no way worth that and if he wasn't an English player I'd be surprised if Villa got £16m+ for him. Thats probably why Wenger doesn't buy too much English talent.

where have i said he was a **** player? he is a decent player. and NOT worth 20 million. if he wasnt english we would have paid half that price. read what i said

also it took 3 seasons for fletcher to be a regular as well, i remeber when united fans used to boo him

Comparing him to Denilson is nothing but saying he is ****. Why bringing Fletcher into this. Carrick cost that much as he was Integral part of Spurs squad and one of the best they had. How difficult it is to understand.

He had good season so only SAF made a move. Intially bid was made for 10M then like Berba saga it got to 18M.

I also said it took 4 years to break into the team and for United 1 season without major trophy is crisis, you have to think how our state would have been had SAF followed wenger policy of buying Child labors.

Arsenal's front line/Backup of RVP Bendtner Vela cost less than 1/3rd of what we paid to certain 18 year old Rooney.
Anderson was bought at 18M and so was Nani both are foreigners.

United Backline of
Neville Brown Evans O'shea cost 0 while they paid nearly 10M to Vermaleen. oO)
United Backline of
Neville Brown Evans O'shea cost 0 while they paid nearly 10M to Vermaleen.

moot point because they are academy players!!! and neither o'shea or evans are english
uh.gif

I took Italy as example as his style is tailored made for Italian side. He is like Pirlo but not that talented. He would have had many admirers if he was playing at Serie A.

Meh i dont quite understand why you are arguing with me when youve freely admitted to not bothering to read what context i was talking in....

Sigh, i totally admit that I've been fully involved in dragging this thread off topic. But it was a **** thread anyway, its not been reported anywhere else so no doubt its just a rumour. Goal.com is about as reliable a source as the BBC Gossip colum tbh.

/thread

I took Italy as example as his style is tailored made for Italian side. He is like Pirlo but not that talented. He would have had many admirers if he was playing at Serie A.

Sunilvk7, you keep contradicting yourself, you are arguing with two other Man United fans, who actually have the common sence to see that Carrick isn't the best player ever to grace the OT turf.

Complaining that Arsenal don't sign British players is stupid, look at some of the youngsters they have coming through the ranks, like Wilshere, Ramsay, Bartely, Simpson, Eastmond and Emmanuel-Thomas, just because they get the young players they want, early in there careers, means they save money, like you said, Carrick cost £20mill and went straight into the Man United team, Arsenal have done similar things with the likes of Walcott, who cost £9m, I know he took more or less a season to break into the team, but still. Wenger has a knack of seeing good players, long before they are good, thats why you never normally see big names join Arsenal, and the way they do things, the longer they have them at the club at a younger age, the more time they have to adapt to Wengers style of play.

Anyway, back to what you were saying, Carrick was hardly a 'big bucks, proven' player when he moved to united, he had a few goodish seasons at West Ham, untill he cost Spurs £3m, he hardly improved by £15-17m in those two years did he? If he wasn't English, he wouldn't have moved for anything like that amount, he would have been in a similar range as Palacios, when he joined Spurs. You cant say that Carrick is much better than Palacios, Carrick is a better passer, and Palacios is a better tackler, but they play a similar role.

So in reality, Carrick was over priced, there are alot of players around that play his position better than him, who are/were alot cheeper, who is not particualy good tbh, and comparing him to pirlo is just ******* crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back