Average Joe

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libero_(football)#Sweeper.2Flibero

For those who arn't sure what "libero" means, check that link.

So, I wanted to create a tactic that strays a bit from the usual formations and thought I would ask to see who would be interested in using a libero player in defence.

Ive played about with Inter (because they have a few players capable of playing the sweeper role) and found that the libero actually does work rather well at intercepting lots of balls.

If there is some interest, I will actually put some effort into testing and reshaping the tactic.

*EDIT*
After getting a decent amount of interest I will begin the tactic tonight with, of all teams, Inter Milan :p

I picked them as they have a very experienced set of defensive players, with more than 1 player capable of playing in the sweeper role. As I progress, I will update you all on how the tactic seems to be working, and some general results etc.

Wish me luck bumders :)

Last edited:
I'm with Inter, and I actually have a 18 year old german who's capable of playing the sweeper role. Would be pretty cool to try a libero tactic with that guy :) I'm interested.

1 Reply, its a start :p

Cheers for the reply!

After seeing how well it seemed to work, the only reason I can see that loads of tactics dont use them is because of the shortage of players capable of playing the role...

Exactly what i wanted to say. A libero rarely get's used in modern day football. So there aren't a lot of good players who can play at this position. The only good defnder I think of that can play as a libero is gabriel milito at Barca, but there are probably a few other ones. Nevertheless it would be interesting to see an "old school" football tactic with a libero for fm11. Can you post a screenie of the formation? Do you use 3 central defs with the libero or 2 central defs with 2 wingbacks, or...?

Exactly what i wanted to say. A libero rarely get's used in modern day football. So there aren't a lot of good players who can play at this position. The only good defnder I think of that can play as a libero is gabriel milito at Barca, but there are probably a few other ones. Nevertheless it would be interesting to see an "old school" football tactic with a libero for fm11. Can you post a screenie of the formation? Do you use 3 central defs with the libero or 2 central defs with 2 wingbacks, or...?

At work atm buddy, I'll just say the formation looks random :p. Not fully tested at all though yet!

Samuel, Materazzi are capable, Mexes too I *think*

To be honest there are players with the right attributes, they just need the training there to be comfortable.

When I've given it a good playing around with, and if theres more interest, I'll post it and recommend players for the position, and ones good to train into it.

You try my tactic and ill try yours :p

Yes there are a lot of players who can be very good libero's if you retrain them. Imagine Mascherano as a libero. With 20 for tackling and his mental + physical attributes i think he may have the potential to be the best libero in the game...

Id nearly use it at this stage but I have no sweepers Im up against Bayern in the Europa League and theres no chance of me winning.Can anyone help I have a thread about this question.
Anyway I'd pob use a libero tactic if I found a good enough sweeper

Yes there are a lot of players who can be very good libero's if you retrain them. Imagine Mascherano as a libero. With 20 for tackling and his mental + physical attributes i think he may have the potential to be the best libero in the game...

Depending on his adaptability and versitility attributes, I might take a look at him for the role :p

Thats an interesting suggestion. So would it mean setting one player who sits in defence or possibly behind to Centre Back (sweeper) and make him free role? Also, if he is useful in starting counter attacks set to try through balls and maybe give him some more creativity.

What about Cambiasso?

What about Cambiasso?

Alot of the top DM's in FM could do the job I think, depending on height. But with them abeing as good as they are, they may be better of in DM and finding a defender for the role. I will have a play about and see how they get on.

There are a few key things they need, so I will scout about for various players and options :)

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Thats an interesting suggestion. So would it mean setting one player who sits in defence or possibly behind to Centre Back (sweeper) and make him free role? Also, if he is useful in starting counter attacks set to try through balls and maybe give him some more creativity.

Thats the idea mate, I've got to test the differnt settings of each Libero/Sweeper option yet though. Early signs are promising from what ive seen

i'll happily try this with San Marino, obviously results won't be magnificant but jus conceding a few less would be a massive bonus ;)

i'll happily try this with San Marino, obviously results won't be magnificant but jus conceding a few less would be a massive bonus ;)
You managing San Marino? ****, thats hardcore.

Would be good to see how it would work with a lower team to be honest!

Might take a while and alot of tweeking as I have not released any kind of tactic before, but will hopefully be woth it in the end for those looking for somthing a bit differnt :)

would be interesting though, i may try it out when i have the time

I'd like that for sure, but what kind of libero are we talking about? Defending type like Franco Baresi or attacking a la Beckenbauer? Cause I'm all for the Kaiser Franz type...

How about Agger or Piqué? They got the attributes plus the preferred moves. Also they have some training in the position.