Jose Mourinho is so overrated

Which of the following is not one of the top 3 managers in the world today?

• Total voters
I don't know what that first line means.

So the 16 other people who agreed with me are ignorant too? He hasn't proven himself to be as good as the other 3 IMO and I've already explained why in detail, using an actual methodology for how I rate managers rather than just saying "He wins trophies so he's the best!"

No, I didn't. I said that from the perspective of someone who thinks diving is a part of the game, Masch did his job very well. It was a horrible act and poor sportsmanship, but he's that type of player and I've never really been a fan of him. Don't know why he's the captain of the Argentine national team, he's not a good sportsman: a dirty player and a diver. I always liked Cambiasso and Gago more.

Because you go on and on about how evil Barca is and don't say anything about Madrid, and you claimed over and over again that Barca is way worse than Madrid, which they aren't. Pedro, Busquets, and Alves are all pretty bad, but they certainly aren't in a class of their own. They're not as bad as Ronaldo, Di Maria, Nani, etc. Barca crowded the ref a lot that game, and Pique does it a lot, but that happens all of the time in football. Last year it was the typical Germans and now this year it's Barca, but it's something you see in every league in every game. Diving is as well. More importantly, you hate Barca more than anyone I've seen, and claim it's because they dive, but that's obviously not true because there are so many divers out there yet you aren't bothered by it, but when Barca does it you go apeshit.

Again you've made it clear you hate Barca more than anyone on the forum, and most people who frequently watch La Liga don't think that either team is better than the other.

So Moyes is a ****** manager, isn't he? And Mancini is a great one? Unai Emery must be worthless also. And Hiddink...I mean, that guy never won the World Cup, he must be terrible! Oh, and Pep Guardiola must be the best in the world since he won the treble in his first season.

Again you completely twist my words. I never blamed him, I simply said it's a very important part of being a manager that he hasn't proven himself in. Ferguson, Wenger, etc. have proven themselves in this regard, which is why he isn't on their level (yet).

First of all, read up on Hiddink, he has managed many clubs throughout his lifetime and has proven his worth as a club manager. Even if he didn't, why shouldn't he be taken into account? He has done things that no other manager could do on a consistent basis...taking S. Korea to the semi-finals, taking Australia to the knockout rounds (only to lose on a bullshit penalty in stoppage time to Italy), having a great Euro with Russia, etc. Unlike managers who only take jobs with great teams where they know they can only build their reputations bar utter failure (Mourinho), Hiddink takes the riskiest positions. He takes teams with no talent, history, or experience and actually wins with them. But he does more than just that and has proven that he can win trophies too.

I never said Hiddink was a bad manager and as a Chelsea fan i think quite the opposite. But he has built his reputation as a national manager so i put him in a different catagory.

I never said Hiddink was a bad manager and as a Chelsea fan i think quite the opposite. But he has built his reputation as a national manager so i put him in a different catagory.

CJACKO, how many league games did Guus lose while at your club? A single one, that's right. He was absolutely terrific at Chelsea and lost out to Barcelona in the Champions League under controversial circumstances.

As for building his reputation, that was done with PSV - twice. His tenure there made him the most successful Dutch manager in history.

CJACKO, how many league games did Guus lose while at your club? A single one, that's right. He was absolutely terrific at Chelsea and lost out to Barcelona in the Champions League under controversial circumstances.

As for building his reputation, that was done with PSV - twice. His tenure there made him the most successful Dutch manager in history.

I agree. Either with clubs or with national teams, his results speak for themselves.

Yer i remember it, away to Spurs from a Modric goal. Im not saying he is a poor club manager because if Ancelotti was to get the boot i would welcome him back with open arms. Im just saying most of his work is done at International level and that is what he is really known by. If i was to include him in that list of 4 it would go Ferguson, Mourinho, Hiddink, Wenger.

Yer i remember it, away to Spurs from a Modric goal. Im not saying he is a poor club manager because if Ancelotti was to get the boot i would welcome him back with open arms. Im just saying most of his work is done at International level and that is what he is really known by. If i was to include him in that list of 4 it would go Ferguson, Mourinho, Hiddink, Wenger.

I'm saying it's a bit... uninformed to say the greatest Dutch club manager in history has built his reputation with international sides.

Ok fair enough, he is top of my list lol. he is top of any top list.

And actually for me the reason he is top of my list is that he's succeded at BOTH the club and international level. Being extremely successful in completely different environments is a great indicator of how great a manager is, and his record is as diverse as any manager's. I absolutely can't believe that 37 people don't think he's top 3 in the world, and that only 17 think that he has proven himself to be better than Jose. Not quite as scandalous as 43 people thinking Wenger doesn't deserve to be in the top 3. He is definitely the most underrated person in football and it really bothers me how much criticism he receives.

And of course what I really admire about Guus is his willingness to take on a challenge that could backfire rather than just pad his resume by managing super-talented teams with huge budgets that anyone could win a trophy with.

And actually for me the reason he is top of my list is that he's succeded at BOTH the club and international level. Being extremely successful in completely different environments is a great indicator of how great a manager is, and his record is as diverse as any manager's. I absolutely can't believe that 37 people don't think he's top 3 in the world, and that only 17 think that he has proven himself to be better than Jose. Not quite as scandalous as 43 people thinking Wenger doesn't deserve to be in the top 3. He is definitely the most underrated person in football and it really bothers me how much criticism he receives.

And of course what I really admire about Guus is his willingness to take on a challenge that could backfire rather than just pad his resume by managing super-talented teams with huge budgets that anyone could win a trophy with.

Like Porto back in the day! Oh wait...;p

Only Cules say Jose is overrated as they have agenda against him (Which is understandable).

Like Porto back in the day! Oh wait...;p

That's where he started, yeah. But it's not like he would dare go to a club in a lower league or a club that didn't have the best team in the league (which he has never done except for his first job with Leiria). I couldn't even see him going to a team like Liverpool (his first choice actually after Porto, they went for Benitez instead) where he wouldn't be guaranteed first place.

@sunil: there are 16 other people who said he was overrated in the poll, are they all cules too?

Football is about opinions.
Curtis290 has stated he doesn't think Mourinho is a great manager..yet.
Others disagree, some think he is the greatest manager to ever grace the planet.

Personally, I think Mourinho is a great manager, but thats my opinion.
Im not wrong, but im not right.

If the bloke doesn't rate Mourinho, so be it. Leave him to his opinion.
But in return, respect the reason's as to why others think Mourinho is a great manager.

That's where he started, yeah. But it's not like he would dare go to a club in a lower league or a club that didn't have the best team in the league (which he has never done except for his first job with Leiria). I couldn't even see him going to a team like Liverpool (his first choice actually after Porto, they went for Benitez instead) where he wouldn't be guaranteed first place.

@sunil: there are 16 other people who said he was overrated in the poll, are they all cules too?

PSV weren't exactly a weak team either... I just happen to disagree with you :)

Lets face it, not many managers can win a CL, League Title or Uefa Cup with no money, i know the likes of Moyes will have their fans but lets face it, Everton wont be winning trophies this season for for the next few seasons, to win trophies u need to invest in ur team so I think its just plain stupid that many people dismiss his achievements by saying he always had money to spend, thats true but name me one instance where a manager has won so many trophies on a shoestring budget in these modern times

First of all, for me, Madrid's starting XI equal's Barca's.

Khedira = Busquets
Carvalho > Pique

You just lost the the little - if any - credibility you had with them comments. You need your head checked.

Lets face it, not many managers can win a CL, League Title or Uefa Cup with no money, i know the likes of Moyes will have their fans but lets face it, Everton wont be winning trophies this season for for the next few seasons, to win trophies u need to invest in ur team so I think its just plain stupid that many people dismiss his achievements by saying he always had money to spend, thats true but name me one instance where a manager has won so many trophies on a shoestring budget in these modern times

Yeah and who could win trophies with Everton? Do you think Mourinho would do better than Moyes over the course of several seasons? The fact is trophies are not a good way to measure the worth of a manager because every situation is different. For example, the past several years it didn't take a genius to win Serie A with Inter because of how talented they are and the lack of competition.

As far as winning on a shoe-string budget, I agree that it's difficult, but Wenger gets close on a shoe-string budget and would win trophies if they only cared about the trophy case (meaning they'd sacrifice the league and Champions League for a domestic cup), which is why I rate him so highly. Moyes gets his team into the Europa League on a shoe-string budget. Porto wins their league on a tight budget, as did Lyon for many years. Wenger back in the day won on a relatively small budget, during the early days at Arsenal he was a pretty big spender but nothing over the top and he didn't really inherit a top team. And let's not forget he started making a big profit on transfers in '02 yet still had a lot of success after that.

Yeah it's true that Mourinho won trophies but all I'm saying is mostly these are trophies he should have been winning...he took a team that finished in 2nd place and spent an absolutely ridiculous sum of money to buy the world's best players...if he didn't win trophies with that team than he would be considered a poor manager. He won two league titles and the next season both domestic cups, but considering that his team was the best in England at the time, I don't think that makes him a genius. A genius would have won even more trophies. Maybe taken them to a CL final...Grant did that, is he a genius? In Serie A he had by far the best team there and won some more trophies he was expected to win despite consistently poor domestic performances, particularly in his second season there (where they only won the trophy on the last day despite a total lack of serious competition). The second year at Inter they had probably the most talented team in the world and won a Champions League...there are other managers who have won a Champions League and have not been considered all-time great managers. Now he's at Real Madrid with arguably the most talented team in history. Despite having another year to gel and adding some great new players, they were worse in the league than last season, though they won the CdR in extra time. If he wins anything at all next year somehow he'll be considered a genius...it's ridiculous.

You just lost the the little - if any - credibility you had with them comments. You need your head checked.

Seriously? Khedira is better as an individual than Busquets. Carvalho is a great defender, he's the rock of their defense, and Pique is overrated because he has Puyol backing him up and because Barcelona's attacking and possession mean he's not under a lot of pressure. I really don't see how those were controversial opinions, much less you claiming I have no credibility. What arguments have you brought to the thread?

Wow! overrated? dont think so! He is one of the best managers in the world. He is just not at number 1 spot. Sir Alex picks that spot ;)

plus his home record of not having lost a match for 7 years, we could go on and on about how much money he had and how he should have won the trophies he did cos of the team he had but lets face it, no team, even the great Barcelona Side has ever achieved that

plus his home record of not having lost a match for 7 years, we could go on and on about how much money he had and how he should have won the trophies he did cos of the team he had but lets face it, no team, even the great Barcelona Side has ever achieved that

And Chelsea held on to that record years after he left. Super talented teams usually don't lose at home, he just extended the record. Inter was never that good in Serie A while he was there, just because they didn't lose at home doesn't necessarily mean it was a great team.

And Chelsea held on to that record years after he left. Super talented teams usually don't lose at home, he just extended the record. Inter was never that good in Serie A while he was there, just because they didn't lose at home doesn't necessarily mean it was a great team.

They lost to Liverpool next season he left Chelsea. To downplay his home record achievement is ridiculous when hardly any manager has achieved that feat..

Your statement that Super-Talented Teams hardly lose at home is laughable to say the least, certainly thye dont remain unbeaten there for 2 whole seasons

And how can you say Inter was never good in Serie A while he was there? Just because they did not play your brand of exciting football does not mean they were bad plus I do recall them achieving he small task of winning the Serie A while he was there so I do think they must have been good to a small extent oO)