Jose Mourinho is so overrated

Which of the following is not one of the top 3 managers in the world today?

• Total voters
I like the way you've written this. With an analysis and such, no 'herp derp MO0urinhos ****' bullshit.

I think Jose isn't the best manager in the game today, definitely top-3, but I wouldn't give the title of being the best.

Think I'd put the best 5 managers as

Fergie>Mourihno>Wenger>Pepe>Benitez

(Now awaiting the incoming slating)

I'd disagree with that. Real Madrid's squad is deeper and their starting XI is just as talented, if not more talented, as Barca's. They've been playing together for a while now too. Is Barca better coached? I don't know: they certainly have the right coach for them though.

And I disagree with that. Barca have better player on any position ( except GK) like I said before. Even Man U have better players than Real ( I could be little biased). Name one Real's player, and I'll tell you one Barca's player who plays on same position and who's better.
Can I ask you to compare Guardiola and Mourinho ? I mean, their ability to spot player, tactical knowlege, motivation, ability to build team from roots ? Something like that ;) please :) ?

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Think I'd put the best 5 managers as

Fergie>Mourihno>Wenger>Pepe>Benitez

(Now awaiting the incoming slating)

May I ask why Benitez ?

Thanks! My main points are that he has managed at the best club in the country every timee. He gets trophies he should be expected to get (other than 04 CL trophy), and other managers (Avram Grant, for example) have been able to do just as well with his extremely talented teams. He spends way too much money and only helps the club in the short term. Inter's squad was the oldest in the entire continent of Europe when he left and didn't have much depth.

How so?
He led Lieira to their highest ever finish.
As mentioned above Porto were the 3rd strongest club in Portugal when he took over.
Chelsea finished 2nd the year before he took over and lacked the killer instinct. 1st season they romped home with the title. They were a talented team but lacked harmony. Jose made them tick and got them playing well together.
Inter won a double in his first season there and became the first Italian Club in history to win a Treble the following year.
Since taking over Madrid he has got them in the semis of the champions league(possibly further) which nobody had done in 7 years.

So he has done better than:
Carlos Queiroz
José Antonio Camacho
Mariano García Remón
Vanderlei Luxemburgo
Juan Ramón López Caro
Fabio Capello
Bernd Schuster
Juande Ramos
Manuel Pellegrini

It is also worth noting that so far he has a higher win percentage than any other full time manager in Madrids history EVER.

I wouldnt mind but i dont even like Mourinho. At the same time i respect his talents as he has shown his ability to build a team quickly and become sucessfull. Hes not the greatest ever but i believe that when he retires he will be recognised as the best coach of all time.

And I disagree with that. Barca have better player on any position ( except GK) like I said before. Even Man U have better players than Real ( I could be little biased). Name one Real's player, and I'll tell you one Barca's player who plays on same position and who's better.
Can I ask you to compare Guardiola and Mourinho ? I mean, their ability to spot player, tactical knowlege, motivation, ability to build team from roots ? Something like that ;) please :) ?

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

May I ask why Benitez ?

Well, he had an excellent spell with Valencia 2001-2004. He inherited an average Liverpool team from Houllier, and made it better. Gerrard became a much better player in CM, as did Carra in CB role. Yes he has made transfer flaws, like for example when he hurriedly bought Robbie Keane, and hurriedly sold him. But at the same time, Reina, Mascherano, Alonso, Torres? Not forgetting, he stopped Gerrard going to Chelsea, convincing him to stay at Liverpool.

Then on the negative side, the man management side could have been much better. And Gerrard admitted himself he longed for a "well done" from Rafa. And he was pretty ruthless in his squad selection aswell.
And on the positive, Champions League winners. Yes, Gerrard probably provided the inspiration, but it was still a trophy in the cabinet for Anfield and a massive trophy at that. Then there was the FA Cup in 2006, beating Manchester United AND Chelsea to win it.
Yes, he was slated for being too defensive or negative in his tactic selection sometimes, but at the same time, there was also entertainment, and at times success aswell. He had to balance carefully between attractive, attacking successful football, and plumping for effecient wins when need be. The downfall imo for Rafa at LFC was lack of backing in the transfer market, even though he said Liverpool needed players. I think the board were partly responsible for that scenario.
But I do think he's an excellent manager. Yes recently he's had a bit of a slide, but no manager is perfect. And if he was a bad manager, how come he won the Champions League?
But thats my opinion. Lots of people will differ, but I'm not going to say if they're wrong or right. It's just opinion

Aside from that single word, I have to make my own analysis of this.

I rate Mourinho very highly. If I was a rich arab guy and bought a team, and I wanted instant success, I'd get Mourinho. I believe he is probably the best short-term manager in history. But that's it, he's a short-term manager. He'll get a few trophies for 'personal glory' and that's it. He won't stay with a team, he won't care about the financial status and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't tolerate working on a budget (Not now at least, he probably had to put up with that in his early days).

My (Not rich arab guy's) ideal manager should be someone who'd stick with the club through thick and thin. Of course this will inevitably bring SAF to mind, who is undoubtedly one of the best managers ever. Another good example of this could be Arsene, or even better (Maybe not as a manager but as an example), Guy Roux (google him if you don't know him, it's worth it). But there's no need to go into the 'legendary managers' department. If I had to pick a manager 'for good', out of those plying their trade in Europe, I'd take David Moyes. What he's doing (And has done) at Everton, with the Toffees' limitations, is worthy of admiration. My opinion, though, could be biased since Everton is the team I like the most out of those playing in the prem.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Marcelo as full back - Abidal

In what world would that be? :p

Difficult call on Abidal vs Marcelo but I reckon Marcelo nicks it. Barca's team is still way better though.

Post of the year.

That's what your mum said in bed last night.

Well, he had an excellent spell with Valencia 2001-2004. He inherited an average Liverpool team from Houllier, and made it better. Gerrard became a much better player in CM, as did Carra in CB role. Yes he has made transfer flaws, like for example when he hurriedly bought Robbie Keane, and hurriedly sold him. But at the same time, Reina, Mascherano, Alonso, Torres? Not forgetting, he stopped Gerrard going to Chelsea, convincing him to stay at Liverpool.

Then on the negative side, the man management side could have been much better. And Gerrard admitted himself he longed for a "well done" from Rafa. And he was pretty ruthless in his squad selection aswell.
And on the positive, Champions League winners. Yes, Gerrard probably provided the inspiration, but it was still a trophy in the cabinet for Anfield and a massive trophy at that. Then there was the FA Cup in 2006, beating Manchester United AND Chelsea to win it.
Yes, he was slated for being too defensive or negative in his tactic selection sometimes, but at the same time, there was also entertainment, and at times success aswell. He had to balance carefully between attractive, attacking successful football, and plumping for effecient wins when need be. The downfall imo for Rafa at LFC was lack of backing in the transfer market, even though he said Liverpool needed players. I think the board were partly responsible for that scenario.
But I do think he's an excellent manager. Yes recently he's had a bit of a slide, but no manager is perfect. And if he was a bad manager, how come he won the Champions League?
But thats my opinion. Lots of people will differ, but I'm not going to say if they're wrong or right. It's just opinion

I'm not saying he is bad ;), just I wouldn't place him so high.
I think Hiddink, Sanchez, Ancelotti and few more are better.

I'm not saying he is bad ;), just I wouldn't place him so high.
I think Hiddink, Sanchez, Ancelotti and few more are better.

Some muppet put Capello above Ancelotti and Wenger on another forum. Safe to say he was ripped to shreds lol

Difficult call on Abidal vs Marcelo but I reckon Marcelo nicks it. Barca's team is still way better though.

That's what your mum said in bed last night.

Ahaha, Joel you got PWND XD

EDIT:
Well, I think Marcelo is more like winger and his defansive ability isn't on the same lvl as Abidal's. But in attacking phase, without competiton, Marcelo is way better. But, main job of fullback is to stop opp winger, right ? And I think Abidal is better there :D

Last edited:

Not arguing about most of the others, but Marcelo is IMO better than Abidal, by some distance. Not saying Abidal is bad, mind you, but just not as good as Marcelo.

In what world would that be? :p

Im my own perfect world, where im the king and Jessica Alba is my queen :wub: :D
..:) :)
Well, I think Marcelo is more like winger and his defansive ability isn't on the same lvl as Abidal's. But in attacking phase, without doubt, Marcelo is way better. But, main job of fullback is to stop opp winger, right ? And I think Abidal is better there

Well, I think Marcelo is more like winger and his defansive ability isn't on the same lvl as Abidal's. But in attacking phase, without competiton, Marcelo is way better. But, main job of fullback is to stop opp winger, right ? And I think Abidal is better there :D

In today's game a fullback who can't support attacks is not going to be much good. Barça's weakest link is, in my opinion, LB. It can be argued that Valdés isn't the best of keepers but I'll mantain that their main 'weakness' (If you can call it a weakness) is LB, be it Abidal, Maxwell or Adriano, they're not on par with the rest of the team.

I both agree and disagree with you. He is slightly over rated, but I would say he is a great manager. He understands the game brilliantly: the way he adapted against Inter against Barcelona was superb. You're right that he is not the greatest manager of all time, but he has the potential to be.

Not only does Real Madrid fail to seriously mount a title challenge, they are humiliated 5-0 by Barca, and they already cannot reach the point total they did last season. And I can't help but notice that a lot of this was due to Mourinho's ego.

Not sure that's fair- I don't think any manager could stop Barcelona at the moment, they are a sublime team.

Still, no denying it's a good OP. You have made some good points and I think people should at least read it before they start slating you.

In today's game a fullback who can't support attacks is not going to be much good. Barça's weakest link is, in my opinion, LB. It can be argued that Valdés isn't the best of keepers but I'll mantain that their main 'weakness' (If you can call it a weakness) is LB, be it Abidal, Maxwell or Adriano, they're not on par with the rest of the team.

I agree that Barca's LB is "weak spot". Maybe because all good LB are taken and Barca can't buy good one :D ?

Undoubtedly their weak spot, though wouldn't be surprised if there will be investment there next year, particularly as Abidal will be playing CB next year. Valdes is very, very good now, much better than some give him credit for. Second best keeper in the world IMO, best sweeper keeper in the world definitely.

So, dear curtis. Mourinho has played his normal counterattacking style against Barca and... oh. Looks like it's worked.