Jose Mourinho is so overrated

Which of the following is not one of the top 3 managers in the world today?

• Total voters
The so overrated man that just won the Cop Del Rey after being touted as the outsiders?? Jose Mourinho is the special one!!

Undoubtedly their weak spot, though wouldn't be surprised if there will be investment there next year, particularly as Abidal will be playing CB next year. Valdes is very, very good now, much better than some give him credit for. Second best keeper in the world IMO, best sweeper keeper in the world definitely.

So, dear curtis. Mourinho has played his normal counterattacking style against Barca and... oh. Looks like it's worked.

Oh I like Valdés, I've defended him against all of you Reina lovers!

Btw, Barça didn't field their best XI today.

Oh I like Valdés, I've defended him against all of you Reina lovers!

Btw, Barça didn't field their best XI today.

They were only missing Valdes and Puyol (Injury) weren't they?

Jose Mourinho SO just won the Copa del Rey...

Mourinho seems to be the one man who can break Barca's dominance. Maybe not in La Liga this year, but it won't be long.. I fancy them for the CL as well.

They were only missing Valdes and Puyol (Injury) weren't they?

Puyol was available as a sub IIRC, and according to Marca Guardiola was playing Masche as CB. He was playing most of the big guns, though, but having a young backup keeper makes a difference. Masche as CB was a mistake too, IMO, he is quite short tbh and Madrid have plenty of aerially dominant players.

Puyol was was available as a sub IIRC, and according to Marca Guardiola was playing Masche as CB. He was playing most of the big guns, though, but having a young backup keeper makes a difference. Masche as CB was a mistake too, IMO, he is quite short tbh and Madrid have plenty of aerially dominant players.

Puyol just came back from injury and wasn't at his best when he was rushed in for the La Liga game, so was rested. Masch was played for lack of other options.

WTF is IIRC ??
****, I hate Mourinho... he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
successful
:D

Puyol just came back from injury and wasn't at his best when he was rushed in for the La Liga game, so was rested. Masch was played for lack of other options.

If he was playing Pintos as GK he could've played one of the kids as CB, too. Masche is a great defensive player and has plenty of experience but he's 1.72, against Madrid that's a no-no in my books.

//Edit - Anyways, I'm at my aunt's trying to keep up with the forum with a 'last generation' Pentium III, without much success. I think I'll take the bus home and continue from there, I'll answer when I get back home :p

Last edited:
This is just stupid. Perhaps to call him the best ever at the moment is a step to far, but to question his genious is simply retarded.

Your main argument appears to be that he cant build a team long term. Yet at madrid he has bought young very talented players and is teaching them his philosophy. Tonight he proved that he is building a monster.

The real madrid team has the same average age as my beloved arsenal (23). Yet i have to admit they are already lightyears ahead.

I have a feeling that in 10 years this Real madrid team will be talked about as one of the all time greats

What an earth is your problem with Mourinho? How is he overrated? He's one of the best managers in the world (if not the best) and even his fellow professionals acknowledge it:

Guardiola says Mourinho is 'best in the world' - European, Football - The Independent
YouTube - Mourinho crying after Wesley Sneijder speech at FIFA Ballon d'Or 2010
Stankovic: Mourinho the best coach in the world - Soccerway

I could carry on with links but it's pretty pointless TBH as most of the people in football regard Jose Mourinho as one of the best managers in the world and in my eyes there's no debate he's one of the best. But seeming you feel so strongly that he's overrated:

Mourinho at Benfica:

Although he cannot be judged too much for his Managerial role at Benfica as it was his first managerial job and didn't last long. However he did make an impressive start for a manager in his first job with a record of 6 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses, with a win% of 52% compared to their overall season win% of 44%. He left the club after wanting a contract extension to secure his role at the club and test Vilarinho's loyalty to him. Vilarinho refused to offer him a contract extension and Mourinho stepped down. Later on Vilarinho admitted he was in the wrong and should have accepted Mourinho's request.

Mourinho at União de Leiria:

Mourinho did what most managers struggle to do - he got hired again after leaving his first managerial job by União de Leiria. And it was to be Leiria's most successful season EVER (at the time). With Mourinho taking them to 5th place, which was their highest ever finish (until it was matched in the 2002-03 season) and also their highest ever point total - 56 points (still their highest). Although Mourinho only managed them towards the end of the season he did what most teams struggle to do - finish a season strongly. Their good form under Mourinho carried on into the 2001-02 season until Mourinho attracted larger Portuguese clubs. He left União de Leiria for Porto with a great record for a lesser Liga Portuguesa team who had no real stand-out players (bar maybe Nuno Valente) with 11 wins, 5 draws and 4 losses and a win% of 54.84% (an improvement on his Benfica win% where he had less games).

Mourinho at Porto:

Mourinho made an impressive end to the 2002-03 season winning 11 games out of the remaining 15 to secure 3rd place for Porto. In pre-season Mourinho brought in vital players - Paulo Ferreira and Maniche. That season Mourinho completed the treble with Porto - winning the Primeira Liga, Portuguese Cup and UEFA Cup. In the Primeira Liga he won 27 games out of 34, 11 points ahead of 2nd placed Benfica the club who he previously resigned as manager from. In the Portuguese Cup he won in the final against the his previous club União de Leiria 1-0. In the UEFA Cup he was triumphant against Celtic winning 3-2.

Many though Mourinho first full season was a fluke, a one-off and that he wouldn't be able to do anywhere near as well again. Although many believed this was the start of a managerial great's career. He proved the doubters wrong in the 2003-04 season by yet again winning the treble. He once again dominated the domestic league starting off his incredible home form (despite it starting mid-way through the previous season) by winning every single home game, they finished 1st and had an 8 point difference between them and Benfica. They also won the Portuguese Community Shield equivalent by beating Mourinho's former employees União de Leiria. But, the best of all of his trophies that season was undoubtedly the UEFA Champions League where they played Monaco in the final. Although Monaco weren't one of the best teams in the world they boasted players such as; Roma, Evra, Squillaci, Givet, Zikos, Cisse, Plasil, Rothen, Giuly, Morientes, Adebayor, Prso and Nonda. This was a talented squad just like Porto and Monaco proved that by beating teams such as; PSV, Deportivo La Coruña (a memorable 8-3 victory), Lokomotiv Moscow, Real Madrid and Chelsea :-(. Porto meanwhile beating teams such as; Deportivo La Coruña, Marseille, Lyon and Manchester United. Both teams did incredibly well to get to the final, but Porto proved the better team by beating Didier Deschamps team 3-0 in the final.

Mourinho at Chelsea

Following his success at Porto Mourinho attracted big teams. Chelsea was to be the destination for Mourinho and Roman Ambramovich gave him money to spend with Mourinho spending over £70 million. He brought Carvalho and Paulo Ferreira with him from Porto as well as; Tiago, Essien, Drogba and Kezman. He brought instant success to Chelsea by winning the League Cup and the Barclays Premier League, which was Chelsea first top-flight title in 50 years. However, he couldn't replicate his Champions League success that he had with Porto the previous season.

The next season Mourinho again won the double. Chelsea beat Arsenal in the Community Shield and also won the Barclays Premier League for the second year in a row and Mourinho's fourth domestic title in a row.

In his 3rd year in charge at Chelsea there appeared to be problems with the relationship between Mourinho and Abramovich mainly because of the signing of Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack. Despite the problems Chelsea still won the League Cup and FA Cup double also known as 'The Mickey Mouse Cups" nevertheless Mourinho fantastic record continued, but his relationship with Abramovich was even worse than before with Abramovich disappointed to still be without the UEFA Champions League and for the first time in his Chelsea career he didn't win the Barclays Premier League.

Despite Chelsea setting a new record of 64 league games without defeat by narrowly beating Birmingham City 3-2 it was to be Mourinho last achievement at Chelsea. He left in September having been Chelsea's most successful manager in their history and it has to be asked what could have happened had he not fell out with Abramovich?

Mourinho at Inter

Mourinho continued his amazing record at Inter as he won both Serie A and Italian SuperCup in his first season. This continued in his second season where he won the treble. Inter won Serie A, the Coppa Italia and the UEFA Champions League against Bayern Munich.

Mourinho at Real Madrid

After winning 5 trophies in 2 years at Inter he moved to Real Madrid. Mourinho's first El Classico was regarded as a complete embarrassment as Barcelona won 5-0. Mourinho's 9 year un-beaten run came to an end against Sporting Gijon. Mourinho continued to grow his already big trophy cabinet by beating Barcelona 1-0 in the Copa del Rey.

18 titles in 11 years of club management (with substantial breaks from management in that time too) is incredible whether a manager does it with Accrington Stanley, Barcelona or various clubs like Mourinho.

A 149 game home un-beaten run with 124 of them being wins is nothing short of incredible and this alone makes him one of the best managers in the world.

There's also all of the awards he has received:

Primeira Liga Manager of the Year (2): 2002–03, 2003–04
Premier League Manager of the Year (2): 2004–05, 2005–06
Premier League Manager of the Month (3): November 2004, January 2005, March 2007
Serie A Manager of the Year (2): 2009, 2010
Albo Panchina d'Oro Coach of the Year (1): 2010–2011
UEFA Manager of the Year (2): 2002–03, 2003–04
UEFA Team of the Year Coach of the Year (4): 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award (1): 2005
La Gazzetta dello Sport Man of the Year (1): 2010
Onze d'Or Best Coach (1): 2005
FIFA Ballon d'Or Best Coach (1): 2010
IFFHS World's Best Club Coach of the Year (3): 2004, 2005, 2010
World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year (3): 2004, 2005, 2010
International Sports Press Association Best Manager in the World (1): 2010
CNID Best Portuguese Manager in Foreign Countries (2): 2008–09, 2009–10

Love him or loathe him, he is "The Special One". And if you think he is overrated then you need help.

Some muppet put Capello above Ancelotti and Wenger on another forum. Safe to say he was ripped to shreds lol

TBH, he is not Muppet. Capello is one of the greatest manager. Shame about his stinct with England, apart from that he is a Champion. He is very much respected and i can bet my life that outside England many would rate Capello over Carlo and Wenger.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Jose has answered his critics. Would love to see Johann Cruyff and Di Stefano to shut their mouths for once. Di Stefano criticised team(Jose) heavily for which Jose answered before the game.

Cruyff being the idiot he is has a big fat mouth who spouts **** all the time. Again never mess with Jose. He answered him after the match..
" a tactician said i'm only a manager who win titles , well thank you i'd like to be a manager who win titles "

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

From other forum..

20.04.2010 Inter-Barcelona 3:1
20.04.2011 Barcelona-Real Madrid 0:1

Look, as much as I look highly Bias, I must say Jose is an outstanding manager... his tactical awareness is one uncomparable to any other manager

Evidence of that is he has out classed arguably the only other tactically astoud men in Football Alex, Ranierie and Wenger to a lesser extent ( and PEP for the likes of you who are lovers of him)

By the initial post by Curtis it can then justifiably said that Alex F ( who I believe to be greatest manager ) by your own admision can be considered lucky and somewhat average manager lets not debate that United have albeit been challenged in the league have much been the strongest with the most quality... almost like a Porto or Inter... If anything he came up as a success in a even easier cicumstance the SPL...

Your comments are that of a Hater and to be honest it's the opinion Jose wants to create another masterclass move by the master... by taking the brunt of public opinion he protects his team, something that we can see is missing at Arsenal..

Jose has unlike many other great managers has taken the risk of prooving himself in various leagues showing he plays a very large role in his teams success ( anyone would be naive in saying that his teams weren't very talented squads , but you too would be naive in thinking Alex, Wenger and to a much greater respect Pep doesn't have these same help along the way)

On a final note football is beautiful so stop hating and enjoy a masterclass when you see one
HALA MADRID

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

TBH, he is not Muppet. Capello is one of the greatest manager. Shame about his stinct with England, apart from that he is a Champion. He is very much respected and i can bet my life that outside England many would rate Capello over Carlo and Wenger.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Jose has answered his critics. Would love to see Johann Cruyff and Di Stefano to shut their mouths for once. Di Stefano criticised team(Jose) heavily for which Jose answered before the game.

Cruyff being the idiot he is has a big fat mouth who spouts **** all the time. Again never mess with Jose. He answered him after the match..
" a tactician said i'm only a manager who win titles , well thank you i'd like to be a manager who win titles "

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

From other forum..

To be fair Di Stefano only ever has the teams best interests at heart... But I totally agree with you on the Cryff thing, that guy must respect Madrid say what he likes about Barce in media but what right does he have to attack Madrid as often as he does, We don't see Valdano or Zidane attack them

From other forum..

I disagree that Capello should be rated above Ancelotti and Wenger, the best managers make there stamp no matter where they are and Capello has not done that at all with England. He played England in the world cup like he knew nothing about football, Gerrard on the left I mean come on..... In huge games you need your best players in their best positions and it is not like we did not have a sufficient player to go on the left hand side.

Ancelotti and Wenger in my opinion are a lot better than Capello.

Upon reflection, suppose your right. I'm probably just still angry with whats happened England I suppose. Not that I'm bitter or anything lol

To be fair Di Stefano only ever has the teams best interests at heart... But I totally agree with you on the Cryff thing, that guy must respect Madrid say what he likes about Barce in media but what right does he have to attack Madrid as often as he does, We don't see Valdano or Zidane attack them

Lol I'd love to see that.

And Mourinho is not overrated at all. I'd guess that would be proven by now, seems not. Best Manager alive, and a Proud Portuguese. Hala Madrid!!

lol. Sergio Ramos dropped the trophy from the deck, and it fell in front of the bus. Crunch! have to get a new trophy now lol

A coach that had won 18 titles in 11 years can never be classified as overrated. He had win trophies where ever he goes and whatever budget he was given. He managed the club with shoe-string budget in comparison with the other big clubs of the world in Porto and still manage to win the CL. He had also won the UEFA Cup prior to that. If winning the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League in two consecutive seasons is nothing impressive or just a fluke then I don't know what is, or isn't for the second case. Say all you want about how dominant Porto is in the Portuguese league, but the fact remains that Porto was on a decline before him managing and he managed to stop the declination and bring them back to the top within a season. Prior to his Porto reign, he had managed Benfica and Leiria, the latter in which he brought to their highest ever league finish.

He then went to Chelsea, who was arguably the richest club in the world under the bankroll of Abrahimovic and still continue to collect trophies after trophies. One might argue that the trophies are a given because of the amount of money at Mourinho's disposal but seriously, just take a look at Real Madrid before Mourinho's arrival and the Man City of today. They have spent even more money than Mourinho had done in Chelsea and still haven't won anything of note. And Mourinho was never building a fantasy team, he only buy players that fits into his style - Drogba, Essien, Cech, Carvalho. These players weren't the superstars they are today back in those days, and they could only get their reputation today thanks to Mourinho. Prior to Mourinho's reign, Chelsea had gone a gruelling 50 years without a league title and Mourinho had ended the wait just after a season in charge. He is also the most successful manager in the history of Chelsea

He is a genius in transfers as well. And that was proven after he had gone to Inter Milan after being out of the game for less than a year. He wasn't given a blank cheque over there for him to sign whoever he wants but still he did a more than impressive job. Selling Ibrahimovic to Barcelona for Eto'o + 40m which he had spent on Milito, Sneijder and Lucio further solidifies my stand. You can argue that Mourinho doesn't know how to promote youngsters, but it is during his time in Inter that Balotelli and Santos had their talents shown to the world. Mourinho also ended Inter's 55 year (not sure about the figure, but oh well) wait for a major European trophy and had won it in style by winning the Serie A and Coppa Italia as well, a treble!

After his reign in Inter Milan, he moved to Real Madrid. According to many, he is here to dethrone Barcelona as the best team in the world and to stop Pep Guardiola's terrific start to his managerial career. He showed his fantastic ability in the transfer market yet again by snatching up Di Maria, Khedira, Ozil and Carvalho without splashing out too much. These players are now a vital part of RM's first eleven. He lost his first classico to Barcelona by a scoreline of 5-0, but had now gotten his revenge with a 1-0 extra time victory over Barcelona to win the Copa Del Rey and his first ever trophy for RM. It had also ended RM's 18 years cup drought and 3 years of title drought. As for the duel between him and Guardiola - in the Copa Del Rey final game we witnessed the superior intellect and tactical awareness of a manager called Mourinho who is able to lead his side and develop alternative team formations and tactics to what they typically play because they were playing against possibly the best possession side ever. What did Guardiola do to change the game? Nothing. If that's not call outsmarting your opposition then what is? To add to all of these impressive achievements, Mourinho was undefeated at home for NINE years. I don't think there's any manager that can come close to that record.

And a lot of us had forgotten the rise of Mourinho from a mere translator into the world class manager he is today. He worked under Bobby Robson and Louis Van Gaal as translator and later assistants and slowly learning his trade from the best. He is not like Pep Guardiola or Carlo Ancelotti, who had a better (and easier?) pathway into a management career as they were brilliant footballers prior to this. He was a nobody.

Oh and look out for Mourinho's assistant with the name of André Villas Boas. He had certainly benefited a lot by working under Mourinho and is now making a name for himself as well!

I can understand that there are many people out there who hates Mourinho and absolutely despise the sight of him, but give credits where it's due. Mourinho is an exceptional managerial prodigy and has the potential to be one of the best. This guy has put a halt to trophy droughts whichever club he goes to and setting records after records for every club he had managed. Claiming him to be totally overrated and nothing more than a good coach is being unfair to him.