Alri lads... I Cant figure how to use this at all so if an1 knows any tutorials or something i could use will u let me know.. Nice 1

I've just got the hang of it, I'll do a simple guide :)

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

Just made a guide:

Important rules to kit-making on GIMP:
Make sure the layers are the right size.
I would recommend the logo to be about 25x25 pixels and the sponsor to be 80x13 pixels.
For the sponsor, the example I used was 'Microsoft' although others may be smaller. Just experiment
and try and get it right.

Luke said:
I have found 2 ways of changing the colours, 1 is easy and the other is slightly more difficult to find.
Luke said:
1) Use the .png files, on the image click colour at the top then colourify, and choose the colour that you want. This is the method i used for the Man City and Bristol City Kits. However the colours are limited.
2) Open the the .psd file. Click windows at the top of Gimp, then dockable dialogues, then layers. Scroll to the bottom of layers, and there should be one called base layer. Colour that however you want it. Then click the eye on all the layers you do not want to see, and change the colour of all those you would like to see.
Adding sponsors is the same for both methods. Get the image you want off the web and make sure it is a .png file. Save it and open it up in GIMP, if you want to change the colour like i did with the Nokia Logo. On the layers tab, click the lock layer button, and then just choose your colour and paint over it.
To get it on your kit, copy the image, then go onto your kit, click edit at the top and then paste as, then new layer.
You do the same for the Logo.
I prefer to get my images from Wikipedia, and a thanks for this would be nice. If anyone wants a more indepth look at any of the stages please ask.
I am no expert at this but I am trying to help those who need some basic help.

Thanks to Luke for that piece of information, we can change colours as well. Wikipedia is a great site for the logos
and sponsors.
You can download the SS'09 Template Packs here: http://www.fmstyle.co.uk/forums/fm09-templates/2496-kit-templates.html
and alternatively just Google search for other templates. You can download GIMP 2 here: http://www.gimp.org/
I would recommend FM Graphics Guru to make the Config, it is quite self explanatory really, just search it on:
FM-Base > Downloads > FM 2010 > Tools and Utilities > FM Graphics Guru 1.1
That's really all you need.
Thanks,
Paul **** (Help from Luke Tonks for quote)

That Rovers one is quality ! Just don't think the logo looks good imo. But apart from that if Rovers wore that on away days it would be great !

chubb, very nice kits, but how did you change the colour, and do you use png?

Nice 1 paul, i still havin 1 r 2 problems though.. Using the png. way how do you get white cos when i pick white it just makes the whole jersey kinda grey? And how do you colour individual parts?

Yeah, I can't change the colour either, colourify makes it look bad. Sorry, you should ask experts mate :) Many people are having problems changing the colour :(

Alri thanks a lot anyway.. Might just download the photoshop trial.. Gimp is well hard..

Yeah, it is, if someone made a Photoshop CS2 guide, I would be SO grateful for making kits.

im pretty much ***** on computers, but making kits seems interesting. i downloaded the templates and extracted them fine. done gimp and then loaded up the starting screen, clicked open and loaded up the kit i want to edit.
So far I have found out how to use colourfy, but thats it. Don't have a clue how to add layers (obviously you click add layer but then lets say one layer is the sponsor - how do you add that in, and change the size of the logo etc?
basically if anyone who can sucessfully make a kit could do me a basic quick guide for stupid people i'd much appreciate it, and i'll try and work the rest out myself.
thanks in advance.

on the first page there's a text guide. Download that and read it.

Sure mate, it's in a notepad document and what you do is open the sponsor in another GIMP file, resize it by going on Image>Scale Image and then copying it and then pasting as a new layer on the original kit GIMP file :)
Here it is:

Last edited:
sorry I must be a really thick ****, but I already downloaded the guide (thanks, btw!) and somehow missed that out:S ill have a go, and post one when ive done. cheers.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

When it says 80x13 pixels, is that width 80 and height 13?

Cheers, but whenever I set the width to 80, the height is automatically set to 83 by the computer.
What should I do about this? Sorry for asking so many questions.

Just leave it mate, that is what's supposed to happen to stop it getting 'flat', just always make sure the width is correct, don't worry about height too much unless it is over 110 ;)

Thanks a lot mate. Understand it a lot more now. One thing is, when you download lets say the sponsor image off the net, there's always the actual logo (lets say the burger king logo that is red yellow and blue) and then a white background. Is there any way of getting rid of this background or making it the same colour as the kit?

type in on google 'how to make a background transparent on gimp'. It should come up with somat. Itr did for me

Get the .png pictures, not the .jpg or anything else. There is a way of removing it but it is hard and take ages. I would recommend using Wikipedia as they normally don't have backgrounds :)