Laffles Slick 4-5-1, Great Football, Phenominal Results

laffles

Reaction score
Space is the greatest asset in football, so creating it inevitably helps your cause in winning a game. This was the thought behind this tactic, combined with Barcelona's theory of defend while you attack by keeping possession, and its been quite extreme in its results.

I am testing this with Barca but this was made more difficult on FM12 due to Real being insanely good and a genuine threat to Barca. I've had injuries to Xavi, Cesc, Iniesta, Puyol, Valdes, Messi and Villa so I've been using a fair few youth players (Planas, Bartra, Fontas, Thiago) and the results have been consistently strong. This tactic is NOT a devoted possession tactic (It still draws between 60 and 75% possession) and its not a Barca style tactic (though it is fluid, with a patient build up and high press, so it's reminiscent) it's all about stretching the opposition and creating holes in there team allowing you to create chances and therefore score.

My main aims of this tactic were:

-For my team to play a wonderful, attacking game, dominating opposition and creating atleast 2 ccc's a game

-My team to pass teams into the floor, I was looking for my team to hit 300-400 passes a game with my playmaker hitting between 60 and 120

- To play my game almost exclusively in my opponents half, as this could be a truly terrifying thing to face (I'm never comfortable when the opponent has the ball in my half) I therefore want to play at least 75% of my game in the opponents half

View attachment 212472
Key Positions

The Fullbacks- Massively important players, they get forward and look to stretch the opposition midfield/defence into uncomfortable positions and allow my wingers to come inside to become attacking midfielders/supporting strikers.The Right

Centre Mid- The Playmaker. Doesn't sit too deep but dictates the flow of the game. This role is easily capable of reaching the 100 pass mark.

View attachment 212471

Cesc Fabregas almost reaching 100 Passes in my decimation of Sevilla

The Wingers- Come inside and get involved in the play whilst also scoring goals, They get around 30 passes a game so I'm pleased with there contribution. They move inside and make use of the space created by my striker.

View attachment 212475
David Villa- Right Winger

The 'False 9' Striker- Drops deep, increases my midfield advantage, creates space for the wingers to move into, and scores goals. The Spearhead of this tactic.

View attachment 212473
Leo Messi-Just Fantastic

Results-As you can see, I've tested for half a season (I feel this is enough for this tactic considering my results)View attachment 212468 View attachment 212469

Results from my 1st half of the season, big wins and few goals conceded. Was missing Xavi, Puyol and Abidal for atleast 80% of these fixtures (Xavi came back towards the end, Abidal is about to return, Still without Puyol)

View attachment 212470The league as it stands now, My GD is insane, I have 2 games in hand and I'm undefeated. Well on my way to winning the league.

View attachment 212467

My results in terms of Goals for/Against in all competitions

Well, I may speak for myself but I'm fairly impressed. The Play style is fantastic, the goals are flowing and I'm not shipping them which to me equals a resounding success.

Match Prep: Pre Season-Teamwork on High

During Season- Attacking Movement on Medium

Pitch Size- Maximum

Last edited:
Have you tried it with anyone else beside Barcelona?

Looking forward to seeing your end of season table mate, oh and the tactics release ;)

Steve

I may have forgotten to put the link up :p and I've tried it with PSG and am currently trying it with Burton (PSG game crashed :(...)

EDIT: LINKS NOW UP. TEST AWAY :D

Spoiler: I'll be doing something along the lines of my popular Re-Creating Legends thread this year too :p

Last edited:
I used your tactic (or one of them) in FM 11 and it was awesome and surely gonna try now in FM 12.

I'm still trying to make my own successful tactic this year, kinda struggling. :(

Going to download this and see how good tactics are supposed to look! :) :p

Hows your Burton save going?

Hi,

I wanted to know if this tactic works with version 12.1!!!
Thanks

I should think so, It's been made on it. Burton save going well, I'll post screenshot when it's at half season..

laffles

Im using the tactic with Lyon right now. The possession and passing is pretty good, but the Complete Forward role may need to be looked at. It would work well for players like Messi, but for other strikers/forwards its not so good. The complete forward on support duty does not have enough shots in a match to warrent any real threat for him.

Last edited:
Hi Laffles

Congrats on your tactic it really looks great. Two quick questions

I see that you refer to the mrc as playmaker but do you actuallly tick playmaker box in team instructions or leave it greyed out?
Also do you use any OI, im assuming no?

Thanks

Michael

laffles

Im using the tactic with Lyon right now. The possession and passing is pretty good, but the Complete Forward role may need to be looked at. It would work well for players like Messi, but for other strikers/forwards its not so good. The complete forward on support duty does not have enough shots in a match to warrent any real threat for him.

Don't see how this can be, He's had alot of shots with every forward I've used there (Messi, Suarez, Berbatov, Munain, All my Burton forwards) Maybe he's just being picked up by markers too much.

This tactic makes me smile, some beautifull passing moves.
Testing with Birmingham now just got Kiko Macheda in on-loan :)

Just beat Aberdeen away from home in my opening freindly 3-0, some great football :)

Now for a test at Ibrox :)

Trying this out with Swansea. Not made any significant signings. Pre season went well, only conceded 1 goal from about 6 games. Best result so far was a 3-0 win against HSV, totally dominated the game. The style of football played is a lot of fun to watch.

First prem game against Man City is coming up soon, will be interesting to see how the team copes against a top quality side.

Hello there,

do you use any touchline shouts or in-game changes ???

Also, anyone tested if this tactic works with the original game version (no patch 12.1) ?????????????

Last edited:
Really enjoying this tactic so far. :)

The attacks are really effective and enjoying the MCL role, always gets forward at the right time. All the roles complement each other really well. I have also looked at what you have done with this tactic and feel I have gained alot of idea's for when I develop my own tactic.

QF's of the EURO cup right now, going to stick with it for the EURO run (with NK Dinamo) and definitely going to keep it in the match prep as its a quality tactic.

Well done on this great tactic. ;)