• Steven Gerrard

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Both are the same

Votes: 15 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the best time to start comparing them again considering Gerrard is yet to play to this season.

Not the best time to start comparing them again considering Gerrard is yet to play to this season.

That would be very stupid, you can compare them overall though and for me Gerrard is proberly the better footballer but the goals, assists and medals all point towards Lampard.

Chelsea fans will say lampard, liverpool fans gerrard, so i'm bound to have a bias view. To me though, despite an off last season and many more injury problems than lampard, gerrard is the better player. Lampard is a better goal scorer, although gerrard does score a fair few too. But I don't know why people in this thread said lampard controls the game better and has better distribution, gerrard's passing is often up there with some of the best.

But to me the reason gerrard edges it is because he's an all round player. He's a natural leader, the captain, something lampard really isn't. He lifts the whole team. He's also proven he can play CM, AM, DM, on the wing and even RB. Lampard can only play centrally.

That would be very stupid, you can compare them overall though and for me Gerrard is proberly the better footballer but the goals, assists and medals all point towards Lampard.

I think if you'd look back on there careers in 10 years time, you'd describe Lampard as an goal scoring midfielder and Gerrard as an all action midfielder. Lampard has had the luxury of playing in the hole most of his career with two quality midfielders behind him with more defensive duties. Gerrard on the other hand hasn't had this throughout his career but when he did in 07-08 and 08-09 with Alonso and Mascherano behind him, he out scored Lampard in both season's. However, Gerrard did make 12 more appearances than Lampard in 07-08 and scored 1 more goal than him. Gerrard's assists are no where near as good as Lampard's. Both players are spectacular and stats wise Lampard wins hands down. However, I've never seen Lampard put in a performance like say, Gerrard vs AC Milan in the 2005. I'd say Gerrard all round game is a lot better where as Lampard is just a far more effective footballer in general. I'd love to say Lampard is better but Steven Gerrard for Liverpool against Fulham in the 08-09 season was one of the best live games I'd ever seen. Although the stats point towards Lampard, I've always found Gerrard are much more exciting player.

Gerrard is better player, but Lampard achieved lot in his career (Reason being played for better team). Lampard is top professional, rare Chelsea player whom I respect a lot, but given the choice I would choose Gerrard.

He is a terrific player. Also he is very good defensively and equally good at attacking. Adding to that he is one of the most versatile players in the league, Europe.

Last edited:
Baffle's me how some people are saying Lampard control's games more than Gerrard.

I think if you'd look back on there careers in 10 years time, you'd describe Lampard as an goal scoring midfielder and Gerrard as an all action midfielder. Lampard has had the luxury of playing in the hole most of his career with two quality midfielders behind him with more defensive duties. Gerrard on the other hand hasn't had this throughout his career but when he did in 07-08 and 08-09 with Alonso and Mascherano behind him, he out scored Lampard in both season's. However, Gerrard did make 12 more appearances than Lampard in 07-08 and scored 1 more goal than him. Gerrard's assists are no where near as good as Lampard's. Both players are spectacular and stats wise Lampard wins hands down. However, I've never seen Lampard put in a performance like say, Gerrard vs AC Milan in the 2005. I'd say Gerrard all round game is a lot better where as Lampard is just a far more effective footballer in general. I'd love to say Lampard is better but Steven Gerrard for Liverpool against Fulham in the 08-09 season was one of the best live games I'd ever seen. Although the stats point towards Lampard, I've always found Gerrard are much more exciting player.

I know where your comming from about the whole AC Milan type performance from Gerrard but how many players in the world game have put in performances like that?? Not many, in the big games for Chelsea Lampard does turn up especially in finals or in title winning games. Im not personly saying Lamps is better because in some aspects i think Gerrard is better but it annoys me when people say all Lampard does is score penalties, tap ins and deflected shots.

I know where your comming from about the whole AC Milan type performance from Gerrard but how many players in the world game have put in performances like that?? Not many, in the big games for Chelsea Lampard does turn up especially in finals or in title winning games. Im not personly saying Lamps is better because in some aspects i think Gerrard is better but it annoys me when people say all Lampard does is score penalties, tap ins and deflected shots.

Whilst Lampard is a scorer of goals, Gerrard is a scorer of great goals. Having said that, Lampard has scored some great goals, Gerrard has just scored more of them. Lampard is solid, reliable and effective which is great but I think most people just find Gerrard a more exciting player to watch.

Gerrard is better player, but Lampard achieved lot in his career (Reason being played for better team). Lampard is top professional, rare Chelsea player whom I respect a lot, but given the choice I would choose Gerrard.

He is a ****, hypocrite but terrific player. Also he is very good defensively and equally good at attacking. Adding to that he is one of the most versatile players in the league, Europe.

Keep your opinionated bile to yourself son. Criticise Stevie by all means from a playing standpoint but that was a vile personal attack. Engage your brain before you post in such stuff or keep it to your own club threads where the risk of causing offense is minimised.

Keep your opinionated bile to yourself son. Criticise Stevie by all means from a playing standpoint but that was a vile personal attack. Engage your brain before you post in such stuff or keep it to your own club threads where the risk of causing offense is minimised.

Good for missing all the points except something that mattered least.

Oh did I see you lot posting something about Neville? Oh did I see anyone preaching them? No.. Get on with it.. Son..

Edit: Anyways edited my first post. Who had thought people will pick on that rather than other points.

Last edited:
I can't judge them or compare them at all.

Gerrard is more rounded, can dictate the game and hit a pass on a 50p coin.

But Lampard gives you guaranteed goals and drive from the midfield, which Gerrard gives as well but not in such a high amount.

If you were asking me as Real Madrid manager who would I rather buy it would be Gerrard but if you were asking me as Manchester United manager I would say Lampard.

That sit-on-the-fence explanation seems to have been sufficiently not-explained, in fact you're probably more confused after reading that than you were before but there you go that's my view.

I can't judge them or compare them at all.

Gerrard is more rounded, can dictate the game and hit a pass on a 50p coin.

But Lampard gives you guaranteed goals and drive from the midfield, which Gerrard gives as well but not in such a high amount.

If you were asking me as Real Madrid manager who would I rather buy it would be Gerrard but if you were asking me as Manchester United manager I would say Lampard.

That sit-on-the-fence explanation seems to have been sufficiently not-explained, in fact you're probably more confused after reading that than you were before but there you go that's my view.

I'd much rather have Gerrard for United. :p

Can't believe this has been resurrected again. Saying that after witnessing last season and seeing Lampard take up a more deeper role with great success which is something most critics couldn't think he could do, just makes my answer even more solid. People say "Lampard has played in a better team", yes but surely playing with better players would make it harder for him to stand out as Shevchenko and Ballack found out. Although he missed many games and was played in a deeper role from February onwards he still managed to be Chelsea's top scorer last season. Gerrard is also younger than Lampard and going by last seasons performances he was one of Liverpool's poorest players and just created a problem as you couldn't drop him because it is Gerrard.

So goals, assists, team and individual awards all point towards Frank Lampard. You never know, one day he might get the recognition from Chelsea haters that he deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.