Looking quite solid defensively. What do you set the match prep on, defending set pieces?

If you list the changes you've made, I'll give it a try and maybe add it to the OP :)

View attachment 310032

i changed the left CB duty to stopper

the defensive CM is now an anchor man

put the DLP to the right of the offensive CM and set his duty to support

let the offensive CM run with ball "sometimes"

changed left IF to W with support duty

changed CF to poacher

tweaked tactic: View attachment 310033

training:

View attachment 310035

balanced (high) match training set by assistant manager

results achieved with this tactic:

View attachment 310034

some great results and only 2 losses away to city and everton. in both games we conceeded 2-1 in stoppage time. these games were also played during the christmas period, so they werent played with a fit first team squad.

EDIT: forgot to mention that i change team mentality sometimes. games im a favourite in i will start with control, go attack at about 60 mins if still drawing or need to chase a goal. use posession shouts when 2 goals up, etc;

Last edited:
View attachment 310032

i changed the left CB duty to stopper

the defensive CM is now an anchor man

put the DLP to the right of the offensive CM and set his duty to support

let the offensive CM run with ball "sometimes"

changed left IF to W with support duty

changed CF to poacher

tweaked tactic: View attachment 310033

training:

View attachment 310035

balanced (high) match training set by assistant manager

results achieved with this tactic:

View attachment 310034

some great results and only 2 losses away to city and everton. in both games we conceeded 2-1 in stoppage time. these games were also played during the christmas period, so they werent played with a fit first team squad.

EDIT: forgot to mention that i change team mentality sometimes. games im a favourite in i will start with control, go attack at about 60 mins if still drawing or need to chase a goal. use posession shouts when 2 goals up, etc;

Added to the OP :)

Added to the OP :)

have you tried it?

changed W to attack and CM to support in the last 2 games to great effect. just won the capital one cup! will continue to test.

only matches i really struggle with are city and united away. barely get shots on. but they have incredible teams. city has fellaini, dede and neymar and united have bought bale. so its only normal

have you tried it?

changed W to attack and CM to support in the last 2 games to great effect. just won the capital one cup! will continue to test.

only matches i really struggle with are city and united away. barely get shots on. but they have incredible teams. city has fellaini, dede and neymar and united have bought bale. so its only normal

I haven't tried it yet, no. I'm just continuing with my version for now while testing with Ukraine, and I'll test yours after that. Hopefully others will try it too. If you make any changes that improve it, let me know and I'll change the one in the OP.

Just finished qualification and did really well to beat England to top spot.

View attachment 310179View attachment 310180View attachment 310182

Played England in the final match and were really unlucky, defending well and limiting them to shots from range. Unfortunately Baines stepped up to score a freekick and win them the match.

View attachment 310183

I haven't tried it yet, no. I'm just continuing with my version for now while testing with Ukraine, and I'll test yours after that. Hopefully others will try it too. If you make any changes that improve it, let me know and I'll change the one in the OP.

Just finished qualification and did really well to beat England to top spot.

View attachment 310179View attachment 310180View attachment 310182

Played England in the final match and were really unlucky, defending well and limiting them to shots from range. Unfortunately Baines stepped up to score a freekick and win them the match.

View attachment 310183

great effort mate!! only 4 goals conceeded in 10 games.. WOW! impressive

remember when i said i just had problems against united and city? well i have problems against united, city and HAZARD, not chelsea, just hazard specifically.

just hammered chelsea, although i went 1-0 down after a hazard wonder goal where he just runs past everyone ans slams it in. clawed it back and went 2-1 up (realistically should have been 3 or 4) and hazard scores another wonder goals in the dying minutes of the match for a 2-2 draw. GUTTED!!!!

check it out:

View attachment 310184

i think im gonna stick with this last change of the CM as support and W attack, seems to be paying off!

great effort mate!! only 4 goals conceeded in 10 games.. WOW! impressive

remember when i said i just had problems against united and city? well i have problems against united, city and HAZARD, not chelsea, just hazard specifically.

just hammered chelsea, although i went 1-0 down after a hazard wonder goal where he just runs past everyone ans slams it in. clawed it back and went 2-1 up (realistically should have been 3 or 4) and hazard scores another wonder goals in the dying minutes of the match for a 2-2 draw. GUTTED!!!!

check it out:

View attachment 310184

i think im gonna stick with this last change of the CM as support and W attack, seems to be paying off!

Unlucky mate. I've seen a few people on the site complaining about Hazard, and I've had the same thing with Neymar too. I think it's a flaw in the match engine, it's unrealistic for these players to be able to do it so consistently. I think they've overrated Hazard a bit as well

Just played a friendly and thought I'd use it as a mini guide to the way I alter things during a match. We went into the away trip to Bosnia & Herzegovina as huge underdogs (not sure why although they have battered a lot of weak oppostition recently)

2' - We made an excellent start to the match as Artem Milevskyi put us ahead with a simple tap in.

10' - I notice that Pjanic (MR) is destroying my defender (DL) and putting in some dangerous crosses. I ask the fullback to mark him tightly and show him onto his weaker foot. I also ask the team to play narrower so that there are more bodies for him to run into when he's forced inside.

14' - Yarmolenko finishes a lovely counter attacking move after selfless play by Milevski. We have been losing the battle for possession and wasting chances by shooting too early, so I instruct my team to retain possession, work the ball into the box and play through the defence.

We see out the half comfortably as they only threaten from a set piece.

48' - Yarmolenko counter attacks with pace, scoring a magnificent solo effort. I change the central midfielder (attack) to a box-to-box midfielder (support) to go more defensive and see out the game. I tell the players to hassle the opponents.

57' - Dzeko pulls one back for them from the spot after a stupid tackle from Konoplyanka (who isn't playing too well).

75' - I notice that they have changed formation to a wide diamond, exposing thier central midfield. I change the central midfielder from box-to-box to advanced playmaker (attack) and tell the team to exploit the middle. I also tell the central midfielder (defend) to man mark their AMC.

84' - Substitute Devic goes through 1 vs 1 after a pass from the advanced playmaker Garmash, and slots home.

89 - Khacheridi wraps up the win with a headed goal from a corner.

We ran out 5-1 winners after exposing their weaknesses and nullifying their strengths, with excellent counter attacking, good possession, and control of the game once we were ahead.

View attachment 310250

So, you can see that I am constantly changing the dynamic of the tactic with shouts and other instructions to help my team expose the opposition. I think this is a vital part of FM13, and although I found it difficult at first, general understanding of the game and a bit of trial and error has vastly improved my performances.

Just played a friendly and thought I'd use it as a mini guide to the way I alter things during a match. We went into the away trip to Bosnia & Herzegovina as huge underdogs (not sure why although they have battered a lot of weak oppostition recently)

2' - We made an excellent start to the match as Artem Milevskyi put us ahead with a simple tap in.

10' - I notice that Pjanic (MR) is destroying my defender (DL) and putting in some dangerous crosses. I ask the fullback to mark him tightly and show him onto his weaker foot. I also ask the team to play narrower so that there are more bodies for him to run into when he's forced inside.

14' - Yarmolenko finishes a lovely counter attacking move after selfless play by Milevski. We have been losing the battle for possession and wasting chances by shooting too early, so I instruct my team to retain possession, work the ball into the box and play through the defence.

48' - Yarmolenko counter attacks with pace, scoring a magnificent solo effort. I change the central midfielder (attack) to a box-to-box midfielder (support) to go more defensive and see out the game. I tell the players to hassle the opponents.

57' - Dzeko pulls one back for them from the spot after a stupid tackle from Konoplyanka (who isn't playing too well).

75' - I notice that they have changed formation to a wide diamond, exposing thier central midfield. I change the central midfielder from box-to-box to advanced playmaker (attack) and tell the team to exploit the middle. I also tell the central midfielder (defend) to man mark their AMC.

84' - Substitute Devic goes through 1 vs 1 after a pass from the advanced playmaker Garmash, and slots home.

We ran out 5-1 winners after exposing their weaknesses and nullifying their strengths, with excellent counter attacking, good possession, and control of the game once we were ahead.

View attachment 310250

So, you can see that I am constantly changing the dynamic of the tactic with shouts and other instructions to help my team expose the opposition. I think this is a vital part of FM13, and although I found it difficult at first, general understanding of the game and a bit of trial and error has vastly improved my performances.

So, you use OI and shouts and you have mess the sliders?

I'm asking this because i have the idea that changing the sliders will counter to make the tactic and then using OI and shouts will overrun the changed sliders, making those changes null.

Is this true, or not? I've started to use classic tactics again because im a little bit tired by the different views and opinions to what to do with shouts and OIs

View attachment 310250

great managing and result mate, and in consequence, a great guide to using all the resources the game has to offer to ones advantage. good stuff! :)

View attachment 310269 View attachment 310270 View attachment 310271

Been using this tactic since my 3rd league game, and things are going very well indeed and i'm currently 5th in premiership:)
Decided to use the tweaked tactic with the anchor man for playing the big boys and tbh Ididn't do that well..... Got hammered 3-1 by Arsenal 4-1 by Liverpool and 5-1 by Man U:( Went back to the original tactic for the other matches and things are back on track. Used original tact againts my next big team also and although I was beaten 1-0 by Chelsea it was a much better performance.

So, you use OI and shouts and you have mess the sliders?

I'm asking this because i have the idea that changing the sliders will counter to make the tactic and then using OI and shouts will overrun the changed sliders, making those changes null.

Is this true, or not? I've started to use classic tactics again because im a little bit tired by the different views and opinions to what to do with shouts and OIs

The tactic is set to defaults except the long shots have been reduced throughout the team. Then I believe (not at all certain on this) that the shouts will change certain things, but OI's override these. Therefore, as an example, if I tell the whole team to play wider with a shout, but use OI's to force their right winger on the outside (to his right foot), my LB will play narrower to leave the space on the flank but the rest of the team will keep their width.

View attachment 310269 View attachment 310270 View attachment 310271

Been using this tactic since my 3rd league game, and things are going very well indeed and i'm currently 5th in premiership:)
Decided to use the tweaked tactic with the anchor man for playing the big boys and tbh Ididn't do that well..... Got hammered 3-1 by Arsenal 4-1 by Liverpool and 5-1 by Man U:( Went back to the original tactic for the other matches and things are back on track. Used original tact againts my next big team also and although I was beaten 1-0 by Chelsea it was a much better performance.

Not bad at all so far, the big teams aside. How has Lambert played? Also, where do you play Wellington Nem and have you tried him or Lallana up front? I think the tactic will work better with more of a complete link player, but if he's doing well then I gues it's working!

i just cant beat them

View attachment 310381

forgot to mention that besides neymar and fellaini, they also bought cavani lol this should be ilegal!!

Lambert is doing really well.... he has 15 goals in 22 games. I haven't tried Lallana or Nem upfront and tbh Nem hasn't played much at all, this is because I would play him on the IFL or IFR positions but Ramirez and Lallana are playing so well.
Who is my link player atm then? Lambert? Who do you think would be a better option? either in my team or someone I can bring in. I have like 15m to spend.

Lambert is doing really well.... he has 15 goals in 22 games. I haven't tried Lallana or Nem upfront and tbh Nem hasn't played much at all, this is because I would play him on the IFL or IFR positions but Ramirez and Lallana are playing so well.
Who is my link player atm then? Lambert? Who do you think would be a better option? either in my team or someone I can bring in. I have like 15m to spend.

You need someone who has a good all-round game to play up front, but as it is set to support, someone who comes deep and has good passing, creativity,dribbling, off the ball. Look at players ppms too, players who like to come deep for the ball and play through balls, run through the middle etc

hi mate!

after a successful 1st season in the prem, i managed to make some very interesting signings. one of them was garmash, who i had a look at after you mentioned him, and wow! what a player! also managed gaston ramirez coz southampton are in the championship and shawcross was a great bolster to our back line. got dembele on loan too and a few others.

edit: also managed mikel on a free transfer!! :)

due to changing my squad a bit, and because i felt the tactic could do better, defensively and offensively, i played around with it again. i tried to be more faithfull to your original concept, which has proved very successfull.

this i what i came up with:

View attachment 310596

it is basically what is on show, except for the left IF who doesnt cut inside (normal wingplay) and the left CM whop moved into channels. the LB also has throughballs and crossing set to sometimes.

only played one game with it so far, against rosenborg for the knockout round of the euro cup, but what a performance!

check it out:

View attachment 310597View attachment 310598

we were up 6-0 at the 40 min mark and so i played in some yputh in the second half. i also tried to play around with the shouts. i didnt use shouts until i was 6-0 up.

i will continue to test this and post updates

Last edited:
just downloaded the new patch, so im reverting back to the original tactic to see how it works.

have you tested it with the new patch?

just downloaded the new patch, so im reverting back to the original tactic to see how it works.

have you tested it with the new patch?

Have only just downloaded the new patch so I'll test it a bit today. Let me know how you get on with it