TheHig

Reaction score
Has anyone managed in Portugal with a team that is not FC Porto, Benefica, Sporting CP or FC Braga.
Its hard work to get anywhere near that title as FC Porto are machines and normally only drop about 10 points the Whole season.
It took me 4 years to get to about the level Sporting CP/FC Braga are at, were if lucky with injury's I can finish 3rd/4th and have a shout in the League and National Cups. However in the league still way behind FC Porto.
I want my manager to Win titles in different countries so I wont leave until I get that title.
Although it may mean taking a job offer from one of the Big 4 clubs to do it.

Has anyone else had success in Portugal with a smaller club before?

Has anyone managed in Portugal with a team that is not FC Porto, Benefica, Sporting CP or FC Braga.
Its hard work to get anywhere near that title as FC Porto are machines and normally only drop about 10 points the Whole season.
It took me 4 years to get to about the level Sporting CP/FC Braga are at, were if lucky with injury's I can finish 3rd/4th and have a shout in the League and National Cups. However in the league still way behind FC Porto.
I want my manager to Win titles in different countries so I wont leave until I get that title.
Although it may mean taking a job offer from one of the Big 4 clubs to do it.

Has anyone else had success in Portugal with a smaller club before?

Stick at it man, it'll be way more rewarding dismantling the domination of FCP/Benfica than it would be by doing it with FCP/Benfica.

its ****** frustrating, I need to win about 28/30 games to keep pace with FC Porto, I've never been that consistent with any team I've managed.
I might even struggle if I was FC Porto.
So far this season I'm level on Points with Porto, played 8 got 18 points. However I normally am at this stage a loose pace once a player or two gets injured.
I'm sticking with anyway I like the club now and wont leave them

what team are you and can I see a screenshot of your squad?

thanks,is quaresma costing you much on wages? I have just started a save with pacos Ferreira with the same aim as you

thanks,is quaresma costing you much on wages? I have just started a save with pacos Ferreira with the same aim as you

Yeah hes on 11k, by far my highest paid player, next highest is Guberti on about 4k.

Yeah hes on 11k, by far my highest paid player, next highest is Guberti on about 4k.
did you find it very tough to get players in the beginning due to finances I am 855€ p/w over the wage budget after signing 3 players and I need to sign maybe 2 or 3 more and nobody wants to sign my player

did you find it very tough to get players in the beginning due to finances I am 855€ p/w over the wage budget after signing 3 players and I need to sign maybe 2 or 3 more and nobody wants to sign my player

Yeah signing players was near impossible, my first two seasons I never signed anyone of note, a few pity loan deals from Benefica, and FC Porto.
However making the champions league group stage changed everything, it gives you 7 million which is MASSIVE in this league. After that I had the funds to sign Quaremsa (free out of contract) and Guberti (free out of contract)

Loan deals are way forward in your first years, I loaned Stefano Denswill from Ajax for my first two seasons, very good Centre Back.
Also Joel Veltman also from Ajax is a very good centre back.

If you target massive clubs youth players they will sometimes loan them for free with no wage contribution needed

Last edited:
Yeah signing players was near impossible, my first two seasons I never signed anyone of note, a few pity loan deals from Benefica, and FC Porto.
However making the champions league group stage changed everything, it gives you 7 million which is MASSIVE in this league. After that I had the funds to sign Quaremsa (free out of contract) and Guberti (free out of contract)

Loan deals are way forward in your first years, I loaned Stefano Denswill from Ajax for my first two seasons, very good Centre Back.
Also Joel Veltman also from Ajax is a very good centre back.

If you target massive clubs youth players they will sometimes loan them for free with no wage contribution needed
Thanks im already in champions league playoffs automatically i signed 3free agents but all 2k plus wages just need a cb and rb on loan with no wage contribution my best players contract is finished at the end of the season and hes not willing to discus a new one because he says club wont be able to afford his wages

Thanks im already in champions league playoffs automatically i signed 3free agents but all 2k plus wages just need a cb and rb on loan with no wage contribution my best players contract is finished at the end of the season and hes not willing to discus a new one because he says club wont be able to afford his wages
I had to sell a midfielder called Sana for that reason, got 600k for him, which is decent.
Did you win your playoff? you need to make the group stage to get that 7 Million. First time I was in play offs I got destroyed by Dinamo Kiev.

So far I'm having my best season, I'm 2nd in reach of FC Porto, and in the National Cup Semi Finals, hopefully a domestic double.
I'll update when season completed

I had to sell a midfielder called Sana for that reason, got 600k for him, which is decent.
Did you win your playoff? you need to make the group stage to get that 7 Million. First time I was in play offs I got destroyed by Dinamo Kiev.

So far I'm having my best season, I'm 2nd in reach of FC Porto, and in the National Cup Semi Finals, hopefully a domestic double.
I'll update when season completed

Finished 2nd behind FC Porto AGAIN!!!!, my own fault I feel I could have won it this season but I got distracted with making it all the way to the final of the Europa League (lost on penalties to AS Monaco) and winning the Taca De Portugal (Beating Sporting CP in the Final).
By far my best season so far with 70 points, just 2 behind FC Porto who took there 7th consecutive title.

Things are looking a lot better for the upcoming season, my transfer budget is now competitve with FC Porto and Benfica (I think I have 12 Million to spend)
Also due to my Euro Cup run I can attract some pretty high profile players.
I managed to Sign Thomas Vermalean on a free (now 32 but still world class in the Portugease league) Salvadore Agra ( 6 Million from Real Betis) and Stefan Jovetic (**** yeah, on loan for the season from City, I can now afford 40% of his wages.)
A those players to the class I already have like Jan Mucha, Stefano Guberti and Paulo Machado all players with top level experience and still not past it (although all the wrong side of 30)

Academica have a good youth Academy, I've produced a handful players that are now decent squad players after having had a few seasons on loan in the lower divisions.
Season 2017/2018 will be my year to win the title, my squad is now big enough to rotate and prioritize the league

This is turning into an underdog story :) please keep updating!

I lost 2-0 on aggregate lyon :( currently 10th after 8 games in the league lost 3-1 in 4th round of taca de Portugal im 2nd on goal difference in my Europa league group which has fiorentina anji and club brugge in it ! Cant sell andre leao though because he got injured for 6 months bebe who was my best player is out for 11 months and I cant termiate the loan I only have 3 strikers and nuno gomes is one of them but hes been poor and he has a clause in his contract that if he plays 20 games he gets another year so trying to avoid using him ! my youth academy is terrible no players in it I signed a 16 yo regen who has 4 star potential and put him in the u19s and asked the board to upgrade the youth facilities but they cant afford it but I think I will avoid relegation which is what the board want

I lost 2-0 on aggregate lyon :( currently 10th after 8 games in the league lost 3-1 in 4th round of taca de Portugal im 2nd on goal difference in my Europa league group which has fiorentina anji and club brugge in it ! Cant sell andre leao though because he got injured for 6 months bebe who was my best player is out for 11 months and I cant termiate the loan I only have 3 strikers and nuno gomes is one of them but hes been poor and he has a clause in his contract that if he plays 20 games he gets another year so trying to avoid using him ! my youth academy is terrible no players in it I signed a 16 yo regen who has 4 star potential and put him in the u19s and asked the board to upgrade the youth facilities but they cant afford it but I think I will avoid relegation which is what the board want
woah, times are tough for, I think Academica start out in a better position, better team facilities and little more finances, so I've had it a little easier than you.
Stick with it though, if your only expected to avoid relegation, then do that for the first season, and see were you can build from there.

woah, times are tough for, I think Academica start out in a better position, better team facilities and little more finances, so I've had it a little easier than you.
Stick with it though, if your only expected to avoid relegation, then do that for the first season, and see were you can build from there.

Academica are doing quite good in mine 5th after 14 games

I just beat Porto 2-1 at home to end a run of 7 league games without a win, im currently 9th after 15 games with 18 points and im in January (still no funds) im out of Europa league finished 3rd in the group 1 point behind 2nd place ! We have links with Martimo so im trying to loan a young striker from their B team for no cost, im really determined to do well and im looking at your save as the benchmark!

Any advice on how to make money in Portugal? I've decided to take on Belenenses, and really want to build them from the ground up.

I once had an Academica save, but I lost interest in it. Maybe I will try it again or play with another team in Portugal like Boavista or Belensenses which were pretty strong some time ago

Keep trying you will get there eventually!

Has anybody had any luck with Boavista? Im in my third season with them and got them into the 2nd tier but it was a fight to stay up last season. I only have a 9k wage budget.
Any suggestions?