Live - Saturday football build-up

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 94
  • Views Views 5K
article-2044053-0E2C0C5500000578-300_634x353.jpg

don't get me wrong, i agree they made some excellent signings, and i did predicted them to finish in top 7. But 4th in table? (or is it 5th?)

3rd :)

oh balls, zoomed

don't get me wrong, i agree they made some excellent signings, and i did predicted them to finish in top 7. But 4th in table? (or is it 5th?)

I'm not sure I could name too many starting XIs that are better than theirs. Of course You'll have City, United and possibly Chelsea above them, but in my books they could very well battle it out with Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal for that final CL spot. They certainly have a great midfield with Tiote and Cabaye, with Ben Arfa a possible addition as the season goes on. Gutierrez, Marveaux and even Obertan provide good options on the wings, and Demba Ba is proving to be, in my opinion, the bargain of the summer. He was really good for a below average West Ham side and has proved clinical so far for Newcastle. And their back 5 don't look too weak either.

Just Heard on SSN that City gave Tevez's #32 to the sub goalie lol

A few observations really put into perspective from today's matches in general, how much do you all agree/ disagree with them?

1. Phil Jones is an extremely class versatile player, playing the way a player would with ten years more experience than his age suggests.
2. Sunderland have spent a **** load of money, and possibly have a worse squad than last season
3. As a Liverpool fan, I'm struggling to decide on Suarez, fantastic player, but I hate playactors and it is definitely a part of his game that needs to be stamped out
4. Still don't understand why Adam Johnson does not get a regular place at City/ put in a transfer request to get first team footy elsewhere
5. Newcastle are starting to scare me, I knew you would be safe but this good? wow - great central mid partnership btw, good luck keeping hold of the pair of them for next season.

Pfft, like you're going to finish any higher. If we end it now you don't get relegated. :)

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

And it's full time at Villa Park. Good 3 points, comfortable performance, and Agbonlahor and Bent are looking scary as all ****. Bring on City.

First really confident perormance so far in my opinion. The other games I have watched by Villa have been borefests.

I'm not sure I could name too many starting XIs that are better than theirs. Of course You'll have City, United and possibly Chelsea above them, but in my books they could very well battle it out with Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal for that final CL spot. They certainly have a great midfield with Tiote and Cabaye, with Ben Arfa a possible addition as the season goes on. Gutierrez, Marveaux and even Obertan provide good options on the wings, and Demba Ba is proving to be, in my opinion, the bargain of the summer. He was really good for a below average West Ham side and has proved clinical so far for Newcastle. And their back 5 don't look too weak either.

Cabaye is my favourite signing, saw a lot of him at Lille. No disrespect to Newcastle, but i was suprised he went there to be honest, would fit in at nearly any club. But Newcastle are reaping the benefits and thier signings show the ambition they have

First really confident perormance so far in my opinion. The other games I have watched by Villa have been borefests.

Admittedly, it was only Wigan, but this is the first time our attack has properly clicked. Getting back to our best style of play, on the counter through the pace of Agbonlahor and Bent. Wigan had 61% of possession!

Which is why I'm not relishing the meeting between us and them. It's going to be unpleasant.

A few observations really put into perspective from today's matches in general, how much do you all agree/ disagree with them?

1. Phil Jones is an extremely class versatile player, playing the way a player would with ten years more experience than his age suggests.
2. Sunderland have spent a **** load of money, and possibly have a worse squad than last season
3. As a Liverpool fan, I'm struggling to decide on Suarez, fantastic player, but I hate playactors and it is definitely a part of his game that needs to be stamped out
4. Still don't understand why Adam Johnson does not get a regular place at City/ put in a transfer request to get first team footy elsewhere
5. Newcastle are starting to scare me, I knew you would be safe but this good? wow - great central mid partnership btw, good luck keeping hold of the pair of them for next season.

2. lol <3

5. Assuming you mean Tiote and Cabaye, both are on long-term contracts (and I mean looong) and are loving life at the club. So we don't really need luck keeping hold of them imo, it would take another laugh-out-loud carroll-style offer and I'm fine with that.

As for the guy who said Ba would be bargain of the summer, Cabaye for 5m > Ba for free

This is why I can't believe most people put Newcastle around 15th place on their prediction table thingy. They're clearly much better than that.

Cabaye is my favourite signing, saw a lot of him at Lille. No disrespect to Newcastle, but i was suprised he went there to be honest, would fit in at nearly any club. But Newcastle are reaping the benefits and thier signings show the ambition they have

Cabaye would be good enough for United's squad. What a signing that one was.

Anyone else think it's nice to see Newcastle competing at the top end of the table again?

If you watched today's game. You have seen that AJ is a bit overrated by some english fans. He didn't really do anything today apart from his cracking goal. After that he was a bit better. And he is getting enough games IMO...he has had an ankle injury for a few weeks so thats why he hasn't played lately. But he is still viewed as an important player by Mancini. He has no reason to leave IMO. Unless he wants to move to a worse team.

Cabaye would be good enough for United's squad. What a signing that one was.

Anyone else think it's nice to see Newcastle competing at the top end of the table again?

I'd have him at United in a heartbeat, i do hope Newcastle keep it up

Infostrada Sports on Twitter: "Blackburn Rovers suffered their equal-heaviest Premier League home defeat and heaviest in three years since a 4-0 defeat to Arsenal in September 2008."

To be fair to Cabaye Newcastle is like the French embassy in England. He probably feels comfortable at the club and he's repaying them with good performances.

Which is why I'm not relishing the meeting between us and them. It's going to be unpleasant.

Me neither, we're in for a slaughter if I'm being honest.

If they finsih top 5 the bigger clubs will buy thier best players like always.

That depends. Ashley may be a **** but he's also a businessman. If he thinks a CL place is achievable then surely he'll see the benefits of keeping them outweight those of selling them. Plus they still have most, if not all, of the Carroll money - they won't be forced to sell. And if they get into Europe, then the players may very well opt to stay. Ambition has it's advantages and Newcastle certainly have shown they have plenty, for even if they've spent little, they've spent well.

I'd have him at United in a heartbeat, i do hope Newcastle keep it up

We have sold Obertan to them for a reason :P

Alan Smith, ****, Simpson, Obertan. Well they like doing business with us ;)

Back