Live - Saturday football

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 84
  • Views Views 3K
Does not have to be malicious to be a red, its reckless, mis-timed, and absolutely disgusting. I really hope you were joking when you said yellow at most.

Im not sure whether it was or not. Every time I see it I change my mind :S I havent seen it in good quality yet, so hopefully that will clear it up.

I dont think it was reckless, It was a 50/50 ball and Ramsey beat him to it.

Just saw the breaking news on Sky Sports about the squad announcement (including Shawcross) for England vs. Egypt and apparently he had broken Ramsey's leg.

After watching the tackle a number of times, I think it's clear there was no intent in the challenge and if not for the break, then it'd probably be a yellow card. The decision was made based on the injury, that much is clear.

I'm not saying it didn't deserve a red card, because it did based on the outcome, but he didn't mean to do it. Shawcross looked gutted about it. Hope he doesn't get too much abuse for this.

Seriously criticising the refereefor giving Shawcross a red after seeing Ramsey's leg actually up close and not just a picture, and seeing him writhing in agony and other players reacting in horror, and then the referee is meant to caution Shawcross? Be reasonable, Shawcross might not have gone into the tackle with intent but the referee is obviously going to be swayed by the severity of the injury.

Does not have to be malicious to be a red, its reckless, mis-timed, and absolutely disgusting. I really hope you were joking when you said yellow at most.

Reckless = Caution
Excessive Force = Red

You could argue that Shawcross has used excessive force but for me it just looks a little mis-timed and reckless.

Harsh to say it was disgusting, that kind of tackle happens just about in every game, it's just unfortunate that the lad got his leg broke

tony pulis, is the most boring, ugly, aggressive, **** of a manager EVER, he ruins football and could have possibly ruined aaron ramseys career with his over agressiveness, shawcross should get a 10 game ban for this, like ben thatcher did,

tony pulis, is the most boring, ugly, aggressive, **** of a manager EVER, he ruins football and could have possibly ruined aaron ramseys career with his over agressiveness, shawcross should get a 10 game ban for this, like ben thatcher did,
No, Ben Thatcher went in with intent against Pedro Mendes that time, he knocked him out cold. Shawcross had no intent.

Have you actually seen it. There was no intent from Shawcross, some people are arguing it shouldn't have been a red card.

No, Ben Thatcher went in with intent against Pedro Mendes that time, he knocked him out cold. Shawcross had no intent.

Quite right, that Thatcher one was terrible, ball had gone as well, Shawcross's although horrific was unintended, more of a lung out of desperation to win the ball back, despite that, he is in the wrong and will have to accept that. I hope Ramsay can recover because he is an outstanding talent.

i am going to hit the nail on the head.

it wasnt an intentional foul, but it was reckless and dangerous. hence it was a red card, hence he will serve his 3 matches and get on with it.

and everyone will move on.

Most moronic comment of the thread award goes to...

Careless, reckless, using excessive force

“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or
consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
  • No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the
danger to, or consequences for, his opponent
  • A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned.

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary
use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
  • A player who uses excessive force must be sent off.

it was a red no way anyone can say diffrent or your blind! but i don`t think he intended to break his leg it was dangerous and serious foul play miss timed and agerssive all make it worthy of a red in my book anyway but i will give credit to pullis for his intrview after he seemed very upset by the whole thing.
besides that 3 points when chelski have lost is a good thing!

wow...chelsea 2 city 4...
nice...good result for man u..

Careless, reckless, using excessive force

“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or

consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
  • No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless
“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the

danger to, or consequences for, his opponent
  • A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned.
“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary

use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
  • A player who uses excessive force must be sent off.

What one do you recon it would be classed as?

It is all 3! all of you that have said it isnt a red are totally wrong! what do you want for a red card a gun shot wound or stabbing. It was clearly a dangerous tackle, END OF!

Red cards are in place if rules are broken or if dangerous play occurs. That was dangerous play.

Yes i am behind Shawcross in the fact that he really would never have wished that on anyone, and totally misjudged the challenge. But he knows its a red, thats why he walked "crying" because he couldn't believe what he had done.

I love tough tackling in football, its one of footballs best attributes. But horrific incidents such as this just cant be condoned.

All the talk lately about reputations with Terry and influencing young kids etc... where kids really wouldn't take notice of what he did.

Kids that were at that game, saw that challenge, watching it on tv, if he wasn't sent off, what message would that send out???

Kids that were at that game, saw that challenge, watching it on tv, if he wasn't sent off, what message would that send out???

He got red carded so I would assume these kids would decide that they wouldn't tackle like that.

There have been much worse that have been un-punished. Ones with more intent,one off the top of my head was Bosingwa on Benayoun last year in the last minute 2-0 up in the cornor,he ran into him with his foot up and hit Benny in the back with it.That went unpunished/

He got red carded so I would assume these kids would decide that they wouldn't tackle like that.

Ye exactly!

i was putting it forward to those who think it should have been a yellow :S

when it would have been ridiculous if it wasn't!

just think how much uproar there would be if he wasn't given the red oO)

---------- Post added at 02:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

There have been much worse that have been un-punished. Ones with more intent,one off the top of my head was Bosingwa on Benayoun last year in the last minute 2-0 up in the cornor,he ran into him with his foot up and hit Benny in the back with it.That went unpunished/

That i agree with, which then starts bringing us all onto a totally different topic, how inconstant the rules of the game are.

and personally in my opinion how "S**T", referees are in the Premier League! :P

Back