Liverpool agree fee for Downing

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 6K
Is it just me who thinks the fact that if you're English, it adds a premium to your price as stupid?

If it wasn't for the HG rules [which teams can get round anyway] then being English would probably lower a players value, not ****** increase it.

Is it just me who thinks the fact that if you're English, it adds a premium to your price as stupid?

If it wasn't for the HG rules [which teams can get round anyway] then being English would probably lower a players value, not ****** increase it.

Especially as we suck :P

The problem is there's no foreign market for English players like there is for other main European countries to force the price down. Kind of defeats the point of the rules also if teams are just going to be forced to pay (a premium) to meet the quota.

Why does everyone keep assuming I'm not happy about this transfer?!

I reconciled myself to it long ago: he wanted to leave, and I wanted us to get £20 mil for him. We have, and thus it's been a success.

If you get £20m for him, I'll be happy too - will mean we've won the league ;) £16.5m with £3.5m as add-ons is looking likely to be closer to the mark.

If you get £20m for him, I'll be happy too - will mean we've won the league ;) £16.5m with £3.5m as add-ons is looking likely to be closer to the mark.

Ah, Zeb. Whichever way you cut it, £16.5m plus addons of £3.5m still equals £20m (unless they're some bonkers addons as you imply), though I haven't found any details suggesting it's anything other than the sum in full. Still, suppose I was right about Downing fetching £20m hm? ;)

Last edited:

So addons are only for winning league and not performance based? ;)

I'm happy that we're finally getting a decent winger but not at all happy about the reported fee. Another example of the inflated english transfer market. Buying home growns is an expensive business.

LB & CB to go.

Did you know?
Downing completed more crosses in open play - 135 - than any other player in the Premier League last season. No other player has beaten that amount for any of the last three campaigns.

Did you know?
Downing completed more crosses in open play - 135 - than any other player in the Premier League last season. No other player has beaten that amount for any of the last three campaigns.

ive been trying to find a left wing in europe with his figures, havent seen one yet

ive been trying to find a left wing in europe with his figures, havent seen one yet

If he is the best in England mostly he will be the best in Europe (99%) as in Spain, Italy they dont play with these tactics. Bundesliga do play similar to Premier league but I dont think there are many quality wingers out there..

Stewart Downing has arrived at Liverpool's training ground Melwood for talks and his medical.

I did explain it, lots of times. If you actually read what I wrote, maybe you'd understand.

Nasri has developed at Arsenal. Bad comparison. That's like saying Downing was expensive because he's British when Real Madrid only spent like £12m on Özil.

Read my edit. Nice try at a comparison though :P

It goes against your Nasri comparison.

I can't compare Nasri and Downing cuz Nasri was developed by Arsenal ( and btw, he was developed by OM, so your argument fail.). And you are trying to say RM made Ozil the player he is today ? Did you watch WC ? I really don't understand your point.
Oh yea... you explained nothing.

I can't compare Nasri and Downing cuz Nasri was developed by Arsenal ( and btw, he was developed by OM, so your argument fail.). And you are trying to say RM made Ozil the player he is today ? Did you watch WC ? I really don't understand your point.
Oh yea... you explained nothing.

You don't get what I mean by "he developed at Arsenal" do you? I mean that he has become a better player (and yes, he did become a better player) since he joined Arsenal, has nothing to do with OM. And Özil was obviously not at the same level for Werder Bremen than he is for Real Madrid now, it's not rare to see a player do better for the national team than he usually does.

@ Mads & Vanjagl, so Downing signed for Lpool eh?

I know im going to get a lot of hate for this but i think he is one of England's most over-rated players.

Nothing special, certainly not worth 20million.

Back