Liverpool close in on Henderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Liverpool and Sunderland continue to hold talks over the transfer of Black Cats midfielder Jordan Henderson.

More...

Better not be 20m+

Lovely means United won't be signing him for that crazy sum of money, Don't see how he is so highly rated.

Much Prefer Young out of the 2. And tbh If we sign him, thats means we wont go for WS or LM. so your welcome to him Scousers.

Lovely means United won't be signing him for that crazy sum of money, Don't see how he is so highly rated.

For too many years, we've missed out on the Rooney's/Bale's/Walcott's & Ramsey's of this world, it's about time we took the risk and went out and got players like them - Henderson, Jones & Wickham. We're Liverpool, not United; we can't go out and buy Modric/Sneijder/any world class player, without Champions League football we dont have as much pull power which is why we need to go for these kind of players. And £20m, with how distorted the market is, who says that it's a bad price? It'll be around £15m plus add ons I imagine, and if he helps us get back to the top four and beyond, then I'm all for it.

For too many years, we've missed out on the Rooney's/Bale's/Walcott's & Ramsey's of this world, it's about time we took the risk and went out and got players like them - Henderson, Jones & Wickham. We're Liverpool, not United; we can't go out and buy Modric/Sneijder/any world class player, without Champions League football we dont have as much pull power which is why we need to go for these kind of players. And £20m, with how distorted the market is, who says that it's a bad price? It'll be around £15m plus add ons I imagine, and if he helps us get back to the top four and beyond, then I'm all for it.

He doesnt suggest buying players like Modric or Sneijder, He simply suggest that Henderson isnt as good as people think, Which i agree with, You should be spending 20million on a player like Downing, Rather then This kid. And there is a big difference between Henderson and Rooney.

I think he'll do well but £20m is a bit steep. I reckon the gamble will pay off though. Jones is already a quality player, but Wickham is a bit of a gamble too. I think Dalglish and the owners are going the right way about things investing in youth though, as long as it doesn't stunt the growth of players like Kelly and Spearing.

You should be spending 20million on a player like Downing

No. Henderson has the potential to be far better than Downing. It's whether he'll fulfill the potential which is the risk. We have the money now though, which is better invested into youth rather than older players who'll be on big wages, we've been doing that for far too long.

No. Henderson has the potential to be far better than Downing. It's whether he'll fulfill the potential which is the risk. We have the money now though, which is better invested into youth rather than older players who'll be on big wages, we've been doing that for far too long.

The fact i said Downing, Was the fact he is a wide player( which liverpool need) not on Potential ability.

And there is a big difference between Henderson and Rooney.

true, but when rooney first signed for 30million it was the same risk level LFC are taking on henderson.. not saying he will be as good as no-one knows BUT its nice to see us buying good young players

The fact i said Downing, Was the fact he is a wide player( which liverpool need) not on Potential ability.

Fair enough. I'd rather spend the 20m on Henderson than Downing though. He has potential, whereas Downing is much more a short term signing.

true, but when rooney first signed for 30million it was the same risk level LFC are taking on henderson.. not saying he will be as good as no-one knows BUT its nice to see us buying good young players

The risk was there, but Everyone can see Rooney had more potential then Henderson does, even when he was 18... To me Wickham and Jones( if signed) are better buys then Henderson...

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Fair enough. I'd rather spend the 20m on Henderson than Downing though. He has potential, whereas Downing is much more a short term signing.

I just said Downing as he was teh first english winger that popped into my Mind, you have been linked with. Any wing option should be above Henderson.

His a good footballer but i would question where would he fit in? Liverpool have Gerrard, Merieles, Spearing, Poulsen(i know is **** and will proberly leave) plus a much improved Lucas.

I just said Downing as he was teh first english winger that popped into my Mind, you have been linked with. Any wing option should be above Henderson.

It's not just about 'any old winger' though; it's about the players that Dalglish wants to fit the system. And with the lop-sided 4-4-2 we'll be playing, Henderson in the RM/RCM role would be a very good fit, there aren't many English players that'd be able to carry out the role and fulfill the duties that Dalglish would want him to do. And the signing of Henderson will have no implication of the signing of any other players we might be in for as well. Wingers wise, I know we are after Mata/Downing, & I know if we end the summer with Mata, 1 back up for him for the left & Henderson for right hand side I know I'd be a very happy man.

His a good footballer but i would question where would he fit in? Liverpool have Gerrard, Merieles, Spearing, Poulsen(i know is **** and will proberly leave) plus a much improved Lucas.

Read what I've just posted.

It's not just about 'any old winger' though; it's about the players that Dalglish wants to fit the system. And with the lop-sided 4-4-2 we'll be playing, Henderson in the RM/RCM role would be a very good fit, there aren't many English players that'd be able to carry out the role and fulfill the duties that Dalglish would want him to do. And the signing of Henderson will have no implication of the signing of any other players we might be in for as well. Wingers wise, I know we are after Mata/Downing, & I know if we end the summer with Mata, 1 back up for him for the left & Henderson for right hand side I know I'd be a very happy man.

Always the optamist Alex lol, i see what your saying i do and it does make sence.

Always the optamist Alex lol, i see what your saying i do and it does make sence.

As always mate haha. And as always, I will trust Dalglish's judgement.

It's true. I just checked Genie Scout, and Downing has 151 PA, while Henderson has 155 PA.

weren't we discussing the lopsided 4-4-2 about 4 months ago as well, going back to the old school attack attack attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.