Starting to get hacked off with FM13 now. NOTHING I try works, I've tried different tactics, signings, player positions and player tactics, I'm still losing most of my games.

It's ridiculous, it's like my defence is smacking themselves in the head with hammers before the game so they purposefully play like idiots.

I've played FM9/10/11/12 all with great success and never really struggled but this is getting annoying now.

People who are doing well, what are your tactics, formations etc. Cause I'm out of ideas and almost out of patience.

Hey guys :)

Huge LFC fangirl here,

Been playing this on the same save since the beta but only 3 days of the beta :) so i just got to november in my second season
like most people im finding it much much harder than 2012 and like alot of people i am finding it rather annoying in places :)

though i did win the premier league and the league cup in my first season, ive read what most people have posted in this thread and others about "bugs" and stuff, and ive noticed a few of them in my game like defenders standing around with the ball in the box waiting to get tackled by a striker, Tim krul even did it in one game for me and only for Dexter blackstocks woeful finishing avoided getting punished for it.

The first season i played very defensively and tried to ****** a goal on the counter, my table was therefore littered with 1 or 2 - 0 wins, in typical LFC style i win comfortably against the big teams and struggle against west brom and QPR etc :p.

This season ive been trying to adapt my tactics that ive played ever since i spent 9 seasons with inter on 2012, pretty typical italian solid tactical play but with some attacking flare and flash when it comes to it.

Mixed results so far, after juggling with my budgets and argueing with tom, i managed to clear out all the old kenny signings and this gave me room to bring in alot of players, i have noticed that alot of "key" players for teams seem to request transfers on this FM in their first seasons, odd but ultimately to my benefit.

I picked up Klaas jan huntelaar because Suarez just wasnt finishing for me, Michael essien because i rate him despite being a chelsea player and for the 3.9 mill they wanted hes still a very decent player, andre ayew was needed for some creative spark because when you lose sahin you realise how much you lack that with stevie getting injured alot.

i managed to make deals for shawcross and another strange one was cahill, also bernard who id never tried or tested before but now rate very highly, 8 appearances 5 goals 4 assists, then in the dying hours of the transfer window barcelona listed david villa and i simply couldnt say no, once again i whinged and whined to tom and the board negotiated the deal for me.

So this is what ive been doing most of the season so far with these players, Reina, Robinson, Shawcross, Kelly, Walker (swap deal for Johnson), Andre ayew, Lucas, Gerard (when fit), Stirling, Klaas jan and Villa, its worth noting perhaps that for me atleast i am definately not keeping suarez beyond this season, perhaps even not beyond january.

His personality profile doesnt include any notes on selfishness or inconsistency but i find him both, ironic perhaps that my jersey irl is Suarez :p, as someone has already mentioned in this thread i think i will sell him and get Lewandowski, i had him on 2012 and found him to be not only a goal getter but a good team player who will get a good amount of assists.

So far i have been playing with normal tempo (10) normal width and normal defensive line, with attacking mentality and balanced style, shorter passing, zonal marking, press more and float crosses, having shawcross and Klaas drift to the far post on corners they both provide a goal threat like Skrtel and Agger before them (both gone).

Playing with an advanced play maker, usually gerard sometimes Ayew and occasionally Bernard, Bernard is a utility player and can really effect things from virtually anywhere you play him, in one game he started on the wing and got 1 assist for Villa, then moved into striking position when i took Klaas off, got another assist this time for Stirling, then when gerard got too tired i moved him into central midfield advanced playmaker and he scored from 16 yards out.

Formations i prefer to play are 433 451 and 442, none traditional though, 433 with wingers not 3 central strikers, 451 with wingers and a defensive midfielder not just 5 accross the middle, and 442 i variate from standard to no wingers and 3 central mids 2 defending 1 playmaker 1 attacking midfielder central usually bernard playing trequatista, villa and Klaas having no legs he provides the flare and speed to provide goals for them.

I know i go on a bit :) but i have some issues myself and perhaps someone might be able to help me and perhaps some of this might help others! :) not much more i promise :)

Results so far this season are, a suprise 1-0 win away at Real madrid, played on the counter, 442 variation with the 2 defensive central mids and no wingers, bernard slipping a ball through and relying on villas hatred of madrid for a sly bottom right finish then kelly and cahill defending their hearts out to get us a win not to mention some truly alert goalkeeping from Jose.

4-0 Home win against City, same formation virtually the same players as the madrid game, it was right after, Villa opening the scoring then bernard winning a penalty which villa put away, bernard then scoring from outside the box and after swapping out my formation and going to standard 442 with wingers, stirling adding the fourth.

3-0 Home win against Arsenal, looking at it now i think i played what the game calls a 451, essien gerard and lucas in midfield, stirling and bernard on the wings and klaas upfront (pre villa), Klaas opened the scoring, then bernard and kelly closed it up, i would say that my style of play is ideally suited to teams like arsenal, the italian mentality frustrates them and i have never lost a game to arsenal home or away Fm12 or Fm13 playing as liverpool using these tactics.

In training i tend to focus on team cohesion and then train other things as needed, this season its been all team cohesion with a bit of attacking training and pre match focus on attack movement.

Ok now for the bad news :)

Like most i have experienced this bizzare domination of games where you have litterally 20 or 30 shots a good 10 or 15 on target and still end up losing, now if i had Suarez upfront i could accept this as simple poor finishing, but Villa and Klaas as im sure your all aware are some of the finest finishers in the world.

So far this season, results im not happy with, and you may accuse me of being a perfectionist if you like :p.

1-1 Home draw to norwich, Rare red card for Gerard only moments after he came on James morrison goal from 10 yards out, other than that it seemed like a typical day in the office 60% possesion, 25 shots 8 on target 3 clear cut chances, i was pretty confident of finding a goal, but with gerard sent off it was a matter of finding a goal to draw which came from Klaas with a header on 83 minutes.

1-0 away win at Aston villa, its worth noting Villa are doing well this season for me they're so far my closest rivals 3 points behind me in 2nd, the only goal of the game was a Stephen ireland own goal, same deal, plenty of chances all spurned.

To combat this lack of finishing i had fired virtually my entire backroom staff in january of my first season, and bought in what i consider a balanced staff of a few of each coaching type with high ratings in my chosen stat, so i have some of the best attacking coaches around, John carver is my assistant manager and handles shooting training which he has 4 stars in.

Also a 1-1 home draw to newcastle, some would not consider that a bad result but newcastle have started poorly and the media was predicting as i was expecting a comfortable home win, lead the game for much of it and a familiar issue i have faced in many many games and careers at liverpool, complacency, lead to a last minute equaliser for newcastle.

Then finally a 0-0 draw with Olympiakos, comfortable possession, lots of shots, just no finishing.

In all these games i consider "bad results" i have played a somewhat reduced starting line up and only god knows what would have happened had i reloaded and played with my best, however my backup players are good, atleast what i would consider good, and i find their lack of determination and complacency leads me to a fear of playing them in future.

Well anyway my next game is away at QPR :) coming off the back of a 3-1 home win against Lokomotiv Moscova, i would have prefered more goals or perhaps a clean sheet against Moscow but they did hold Real madrid to a draw at their home ground so i cant be too harsh on my boys for that :)

Best wishes
Metz

Edit : Liverpool 6 - 2 QPR, Seems they finally shook off that fear of finishing, for the moment atleast :), Villa scored 4 before i subbed him for Suarez and Stirling got the other 2, for those of you wondering how i got Villa in the first place, if you have any say in it let Lorente go to Barcelona, im sure some of you will rate Lorente higher and because of his age might choose him instead :) thats your choice afteralll :) but i think ill stick with my Villa hehe, 11 mill after Barcelona got Lorente on a free

Last edited:
Metzli, if you sell Suarez get Jovetic instead of Lewandowski.

Seriously cannot recommend Miroslac Stoch from Fenerbache high enough. Top scorer for me while playing AML, so far he's contributed 7 goals and 3 assists. Sterling has been more impressive though with 5 goals and a massive 9 assists. just 10 or 11 games into first season in second with those two as top scorers, Borini and Suarez inconsistent despite Suarez scoring highly in the Europa matches.

The dawn of season 3 at LFC for me now :)

Season 2 much improved on season 1, ended the season unbeaten in the league, champions by a reasonably comfortable margin cured my teams fear of weaker clubs and altogether my signings blended well and im content to say i made a team of them.

They looked very well suited together like pieces in a jigsaw with a few minor exceptions :), my initial budget for season 3 is 37 million, with a wage budget of around 1.8 mill, i added to this total by selling Suarez finally for 30 million to OM.

So transfer budget of 59 million, signed Jovetic for 25, 15 and 10 ish over 12 months.

Now is the big question... my midfield worked its *** off last season truly brilliant performances stevie is 34 now and will be 35 before the close of the season essien didnt have the impact he used to but still for 3.9 was a very good bargain cant fault the mans work ethic but he is now 31 and should be 32 before much more of the season passes.

Huntelaar is 31 and Villa just turned 32, so the question is :) what now having put together an "A team" i don't really look forward to breaking them up in the january transfer window i swiped Thomas ince and Marco verratti, Marco is a natural replacement for Stevie, has the skill the eye for goal and the eye for a pass and ill be honest Ince just because i wanted to see if he could contribute.

As is common in this version of manager there are lots of transfer listings this window some really tempting ones...

Falcao for 36 million, Daniele de rossi for 17 million, newcastle got relegated somehow and Cabeye is 17 million with Ben arfa 22 million... choices ><

De Rossi i am convinced would be a huge help but a huge help for only a few years he is 30 after all and as fond as i am of the italian way, this isnt italy, Falcao.. well theres not much you need to add to that, its Falcao

Cabeye comes in a close third for such a good player his assists and goals arent that impressive and for me i choose midfielders based on one of three stats, Successful tackles per game and Overall in a season, Assists per season and Goals per season.

His tackles obviously are pretty normal hes just not that type of player afterall, but for a playmaker his assists are also low
5 or 6 when compared to the 15-20+ you get when playing Marco Verratti, Jack wilshere, Marvin Martin or Cesc fabregas as a central midfield advanced playmaker.

You could say Falcao is a similiar player to Klaas jan and would be easily able to fit into his role as Klaas gets older though im more concerned with replacing Villa, there arent many players in the world like him.

Edit : Ok current theory before i get a nap :), Sami khedira transfer listed at Real, 3.8 million, hes never enjoyed the best of times at Real his ratio on 13 is no better than 12 or 11 tbh, but i dont need a first team midfielder i just need a backup for Lucas, essien, Tiote and Ayew who are obviously my first choice defensively minded midfielders.

Any other suggestions more than welcome :), after telling my board i believe i can win the league my budgets are at 47 million and 2.1 mill per week leaving me currently with 348k wages spare, i do have this theory that if i juggle my wages a little and funnel a bit into my transfer budget i could possibly afford De rossi and Falcao the only problem being im not entirely sure i want two players of their quality upseting the rythme of my team.

Last edited:
Was so close to signing Cavani to join Suarez upfront, but it wouldnt let me, said i didnt have the required funds (when i did), maybe because the majority was spread over 48 months? Signed Ademilson and Fierro as substitutes anyway.

Got 18m to spend in January, and i feel i need to strengthen the defense, LB and CB priorities , any recommendations to partner Skrtel and Johnson ?

Was so close to signing Cavani to join Suarez upfront, but it wouldnt let me, said i didnt have the required funds (when i did), maybe because the majority was spread over 48 months? Signed Ademilson and Fierro as substitutes anyway.

Got 18m to spend in January, and i feel i need to strengthen the defense, LB and CB priorities , any recommendations to partner Skrtel and Johnson ?

For the LB Jetro Willems, originally at PSV, looks like a good buy for the future. Between Coates and Kelly you should have pretty solid cover, buy Wallace from Fluminese as cover for Johnson at RB, then Kelly will be totally freed up to use as a CB.

Did you sell Agger? I'm hoping to offload him for £15m+ in the summer transfer window after 12/13 season, anyone else ahd any luck?

Last edited:
Am 10 games in and sitting 4th 3pts off top.
I sold Jones,Doni,Kelly,Downing,Enrique and Cole and brought in Gordon,Fuchs,Adryan,Ademilson and Kweuke

Fuchs and Kweuke have been quality for me and Henderson is playing really well to as a DLP.

Have loaned out a whole team basically aswell.

Suarez has been sent off twice already though so not too happy about that

Yeah Addug i off loaded agger in season 1 for 15 million to OM, and Skrtel went to city for 20, i used kelly carragher and i bought Kurt zouma for my defensive team in the first season.

Carraghers still usable if you play the right tactics, my italian style helped him stick around till the dawn of season 3 when i gave him a coaching job.

My board are currently very unhappy with me, after much deliberation and planning i decided to say to **** with it all and i bought De rossi and Falcao and Khedira :p.

The plot was to offload Essien but he rejected contracts from Benfica and Pescara so im 1 midfielder too heavy atm and about 70k over my wage budget.

However, my new wonder team did crush chelsea 6-1.

Honestly i had no intention of buying De rossi but when i saw city making a bid.... i couldnt let that slide.

but it does mean that in the winter window or start of next season someone has to go or has to take a paycut
i was sort of hoping Stevie would realise hes 34 years old, i dont play an attacking midfielder unless im countering against superior opposition and then if hes fit i play bernard cause hes fast.

alas Stevies agent is a bit of a *** and doesnt accept that his days of being a keyplayer are on their way out, in point of fact i struggled to get him the 10 starts required for a premier league winners medal this last season and he only came on in my champions league final against Juve as a sub.

but hey its a enviable situation to be in i suppose, too many good players, my problem is i get attached to them and find it really hard to say no your not playing :p.

Henderson is another player i shipped out in season 1, 15 mill over a period of time to Aston villa, hes never amounted to anything for them as far as im aware and has never been recalled to the england squad.

Kelly however after 60 appearances in his first 2 seasons has now just won his 10th cap and is fast building a partnership with Shawcross and Cahill.

First game of the season will be against Tottenham in the shield, Line up likely to be Reina, Walker, Kelly, Shawcross, Corchia, Lucas, ayew, De Rossi, Bernard, Falcao, Villa/Jovetic.

My transfer business for the season, barring any departures is well and truly done :p

The 48 month deals when playing with Liverpool is great.Snapped Cavini up on deadline day in August for 28 mill over 48 months. Have him playing with Suarez up front.

Also Snapped up Isco for 17.5 mill over 48 months. Have him and sterling on the wings and then, Sahin, Gerrard, Allen, Veratti, Lucas and Henderson in Midfield.

How do you sign players over 48 months when I try it they accept the offer then when they accept the contract it says insufficient funds..

Me too. It doesnt make a difference whether you pay up front or staged. The money is taken out of your transfer budget and you need the full amount either way

So irritating aswell, miss out on really big players, eg Cavani

I think I might well have missed my chance on Agger! I've not particularly played him in after the first 15 or so matches, Coates and Skrtel seemed to make a much better partnership and Coates has contributed more goals than Agger did. In fact after 33 games of 12/13 I have the top 4 highest average ratings, Stoch, Sterling, Skrtel and Coates in first.

I've gone down a much different route after reading a post on FM story, "Youth to Gold". I want to expand the Anfield, or failing that build a new stadium so can't really afford to invest heavily in big names!

Does Shelvey play any part for you?

Ive just moved shelvey out to newcastle, watching LFC on tv i like shelvey and think he could be a good player for us but on FM i find his play is too one dimensional for my tastes, which would be fine if he got 20 assists per season i mean Marvin Martins play is one dimensional but hes a assist machine pure and simple doesnt try anything else.

If a playmaker isnt going to get 20 assists per season id prefer someone with a bit of flare which is why i passed up Cabeye, as mentioned before Verratti is a natural successor to Stevie they're both good for 10-15 assists per season in a average season and 20-30 in a great season plus 5-10 goals sometimes more, ive seen Stevie get 15 assists and 20 goals in his 2013-2014 season.

Another good one is Iker Muniain, although hes a attacking midfielder naturally if you train him to be a central midfield advanced playmaker he does these absolutely breath taking little runs, like having a extra striker but someone who will still pull his weight in midfield, also if your careers are going the same way mine did after lorente leaves Iker hands in a transfer request.

Isco is a player ive been looking at too, malaga got relegated and so hes transfer listed at 17 mill, at the dawn of my third season after the 2014 world cup vincente left spain and i took on the job as a hobby so i dont have to sit twiddling my thumbs on international breaks :p.

I must admit im very impressed with Isco after handing him his debut played as a Trequartista in a central attacking midfield three behind David villa alongside Silva/Mata and Iker, with Thiago and Alonso/Martinez in central mid we swiped at 4-0 away win at Holland without breaking a sweat, Isco getting a goal and 2 assists, personally i doubt ill sign him simply because im happy with the balance of my team but if its a Mata/Silva esque player your looking for the boy certainly has the skills.

So far im just about to cross into november 2014 and the season couldnt be going better, no losses in any competition, 1 draw away at west ham the rest wins in the league 1 draw at home to real sociedad in ECC, the rest all wins and mostly very comfortable shiny wins too.

Another player i highly recommend Guilherme Siqueira from Granada, after a poor first season with me he absolutely shone in his second, 15 assists from left back and since he was never going to get a call up for brazil was handed his spain debut by vincente in the world cup before i took over, third season hes doing just aswell and was every bit the replacement for enrique i hoped he'd be.

I do tend to agree with your youth policy Addug but only to a point, my liverpool has a core of 30 ish players and youth built around it, seems to work well and im delighted to say Thomas ince was a good investment and while i dont see him displacing bernard for me he can more than contribute at a premier league and champions league level, his first ever goal for liverpool coming in the quarter finals against Athletic bilbao and if he has the same 9 mill fee release he had for me, well if you have the free cash id say hes certainly worth a try.

One downside is if you get the chance to sign De rossi like i did, dont be won over by his awe inspiring stats or massive happy grin provoking idea of bringing such a huge name to anfield, for the 13 mill i paid i suppose he was a bargain but he simply wont adapt to the english game before his career comes to a end, the better buy is actually looking to be Khedira, poor stats for Real but scored in his first game for me and hasnt really put a foot wrong the fans are loving him so far and at 3.8/9 mill, good buy.

Falcao, not really had the best of starts probably the poorest start of my 4 summer signings really for a man with such a huge reputation only 2 goals in his opening 5 and with Klaas Jan scoring 2 per game, 8 in 3 games not to long ago, hes not first choice right now.

So to sum up my first choice first team at the moment would be, Reina, Guilherme, Shawcross, Kelly, Walker, Lucas, Khedira, Muniain, Ince, Huntelaar, Stirling

Oh and has anyone tried Jordon Ibe yet?

Also, make Mcparklands dream come true, Buy mason bennett, havent seen too much of the kid lately but in my first season he put on some good cup performances in a 5-2 win over Arsenal and 3-0 win over Wolves one of my few youth players to still be rated 5 stars after 3 years at the club next season we'll see how he does in the first team.

I'm having a fair to middling season with Liverpool really, decided to resist the approaches for those such as Kelly, Johnson and Downing and try to work with what I have. We are solid, if not spectacular.

Assaidi has been something of an enigma as well, to the point where I was having serious thoughts about selling him in January. Then he did this, I'm sure he tried to put it over though. :D

[video=youtube;tC5Wx-uxaG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5Wx-uxaG8[/video]

Re: not having the required funds to sign players on 48 month fee's

from what i've noticed it seems that it only turns you down if you don't have the required wage budget and transfer butget to cover the signing on and agent fee

Hi yall Liverpool fans our there, am starting my game first season and been reading a bit of forum before doing so, below summarized up so far what i've gathered. please advice...

Coaches

Fire Colin Pascoe and hire Johan Cruijff
thats all i plan to do as making too much change within the backroom might affect the quality...

Players

GK - Planning to keep Reina (until 2nd season to buy Stegen), selling Jones and Doni. Whos a good backup?

DL - Keep Enrique, buy in Jetro Willems (PSV) as a back up, or sell enrique and buy in Fuchs as DL with Jack Robinson backup
DCs - Keep Agger/Skrtel, or sell either one to bring in Ryan Shawcross, Kurt Zouma, and continue using Kelly/Carragher/Coates
DR - Keep Glen J, or sell to bring in either Kyle Walker or S Corchia and have 2 young reserve as backup

Midfield - What do most of yall do with Downing/Joe cole/henderson/shelvey?

i'll try to sell/loan them and consider buying in the following - Wellington Nem/Isco/andre ayew/Adryan
will continue using - Joe allen/S Gerrard/Lucas/Raheem Sterling/Assaidi

Strikers - Keeping Suarez/Borini
Will try to buy in Ademilson/Kweuke

What about Dzagoev?Lewandowski? - Read a lot in forum about them, but do I need them still?

I'll sign to bring in next season Llorente and Bocchetti if require/backup since free.

What else am I missing or did not consider? Please advice ...

Craig Gordan is available for free and 10k/week - he's not the best in the world but 40k/week less than Doni.

I've now completed 31 games in my first season. Last match was a 4-0 home victory against West Ham. 68% possession, 10 shots on target (Joe Allen completed 120/133 passes). That puts me 10 points clear of Man City. I still have to play them so I can afford a slip up...

I didn't bring in anyone new in January (except some more U18 players). Not able to get in any big names for the summer yet either (Llorente wanted too much salary), but there are some more good prospects (including Ibrahima Mbaye from Inter) and I've got a couple of top class regens already through into the U18. I'm losing a lot of money each month, but the prize money at the end of the season should sort me out. Trimming the wage bill is the best advice I can give any Liverpool manager.

Cole is out on loan. He's going by hook or crook after this season. Downing is gone (8.5m). Henderson is a good backup across my midfield (covering Allen or Lucas, or even Gerrard or Sterling at a push). Shelvey is a good backup for Gerrard and has done well over his 42 appearances this season with 8 PL goals to his name. I don't think he's a long term star prospect though - PA has dropped to 3 stars so he's about as good as he'll ever be. Sahin was poor earlier in the season so I sent him back to Madrid - he's an expensive player to have on the bench.

One thing I did was rip out the backroom staff - only Borrell, McParland, three scouts and the physios survived. I've brought in 4* or better coaches for each speciality along with a full scouting team. My ***. Man. is Rosario di Vicenzo - he's brilliant, 71 but just signed an extension for another year. I've also just appointed a DoF - Paulo Futre - so I'll see what he adds once the season is drawing to a close.

Not sure who I'll be signing - there will be at least one top class young player - depending on budget then I'll make sure I've got the best U18 team in the country. Hopefully West Ham will activate Carroll's £17m release clause - he's had a good season for them scoring 12 goals so far - so that will help my continued rebuilding. I like him and I suspect he'd do well in my team, but the money may be more useful.

Long term full back positions are still an issue. Figueroa is an effective stop gap (I also had Razvan Rat on loan, but released him) and Robinson not quite ready. Johnson has performed well as has Kelly on the right, but Kelly's injuries are starting to affect things. Aurier or Corchia may be targets here.