Liverpool players back me, claims Hodgson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah mate, I cant stand decent teams going through what Liverpool are going through they are a terrific team and have great history.

I disagree there mate. Meireles, Cole, Maxi and Agger are all top 6 players.

None of those you listed would get into Tottenham's first XI.

In fact, Reina and Torres are the only two players I would take at Tottenham ahead of those we already have.

Are you having a laugh? I'll stick with Vidic and Ferdinand thank you!

When Ferdinand is past it (which will be soon). Aggers only young...

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

None of those you listed would get into Tottenham's first XI.

In fact, Reina and Torres are the only two players I would take at Tottenham ahead of those we already have.

All about opinions to be honest mate. I'd rather have Agger left back instead of Assou and at centre back instead of Gallas. They are all good enough to play in top 6 teams though just because they wouldnt fit into Spurs team at the moment doesn't mean they aren't. For example you could have a weak Right winger and then that would mean Maxi would get in.

Yes but presently, he would struggle to get in anywhere, even Arsenal when Vermaelen is fit. I do quite like Agger but I think Rafa has stunted his growth as a player by using that meathead Skrtel ahead of him.

On topic: Surely if the players backed Hodgson, they would be coming out to the media and saying so themselves? You shouldn't need to claim you have the players backing as a manager, he's just lost any shread of respect that they may have still had for him

All about opinions to be honest mate. I'd rather have Agger left back instead of Assou and at centre back instead of Gallas. They are all good enough to play in top 6 teams though just because they wouldnt fit into Spurs team at the moment doesn't mean they aren't. For example you could have a weak Right winger and then that would mean Maxi would get in.

Maxi doesn't even get into your first team, so stop kidding yourself.

Anyway, IMO, Dawson/King/Bassong > Agger.

Maxi doesn't even get into your first team, so stop kidding yourself.

Anyway, IMO, Dawson/King/Bassong > Agger.

Oh right thats why hes played 15 games this year and been one of our best players, also I only mentioned Maxi because I said a right winger. Like I said before its all about opinions, I'm not arguing or kidding myself I think Agger is top class and very underrated.

The fact you wouldn't have Lucas at Newcastle is abit silly seeing as he gets into the Brazil squad and is improving a lot. I'm sure Newcastle would snap him up straight away if the deal came along.

Oh right thats why hes played 15 games this year and been one of our best players, also I only mentioned Maxi because I said a right winger. Like I said before its all about opinions, I'm not arguing or kidding myself I think Agger is top class and very underrated.

The fact you wouldn't have Lucas at Newcastle is abit silly seeing as he gets into the Brazil squad and is improving a lot. I'm sure Newcastle would snap him up straight away if the deal came along.

Indeed, I saw Lucas played lots of games at the world cup...

I honestly wouldn't have Lucas. Nolan, Tiote and Barton are all better players imo.

Just because someone has played for their country, doesn't make them good players. I mean, look at Heskey, hes played over 50 games for England, and never has he ever been close to being a top four standard player.

I honestly wouldn't have Lucas. Nolan, Tiote and Barton are all better players imo.

Just because someone has played for their country, doesn't make them good players. I mean, look at Heskey, hes played over 50 games for England, and never has he ever been close to being a top four standard player.

So did Nasri.... that doesn't mean he doesn't get in the France squad now. I know it doesn't make him a good player and your right but Brazil aren't excatly weak in that field. Hes a hard working determined player and would fit right at Newcastle.

woah wouldnt go that far. To be honest he is better than those players individually BUT, those three are better than the sum of their parts and thats what makes them so good

Liverpool are set to be sack Roy Hodgson and replace him with Dutchman Frank Rijkaard after the current Anfield boss was left bemoaning yet another limp display as his side lost to a struggling Wolves side at home. The club’s are ready to axe the 63 year old former Fulham boss and will do so within the next 48 hours.
Hodgson’s cause will not have been helped by his slamming of Liverpool supporters after last night’s game and owners New England Sporting Ventures will act fast to prevent the club from slipping further into the mire. The Merseyside club are now just three points from the relegation zone having lost an unprecedented eight matches out of their opening 18 fixtures.
Bookmakers William Hill have cut their odds on Frank Rijkaard becoming the next permanent boss to just 8/15 and Liverpool owner John W Henry will know that handing January transfer funds to embattled boss Hodgson makes little sense if he is then removed from his post shortly after so therefore the club will look to swing the axe in the very near future.
With the games coming thick and fast during the busy holiday period, with games against Bolton and Blackburn on the 1st and 5th of January respectively, the board at Liverpool will decide whether to wait until after those fixtures are completed or look to act in the next 48 hours. Their main fear being that having no one at the helm for the crucial upcoming games could be even more damaging than sticking with Hodgson.
Therefore it appears that the club is in deep deliberation as to whether tp wait until those two games have been played and then act to replace the former Fulham manager with former Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard who is on the look out for a new post having been sacked by Galatasaray earlier in the season, or instead axe Roy Hodgson within the next 48 hours, which currently appears to be the more likely scenario.

Just because Lucas didn't go to the world cup doesn't mean he doesn't play for his country. Carroll didn't go to the world cup, so he doesn't ever play for his country, right? Since Gilberto has retired and Menezes has taken over, a much-improved Lucas has been given his chance and as he was picked for Menezes' first ever game with Brazil it is to be assumed he is well liked by the new coach.

Nolan is a different player to Lucas, and Barton is a liability. I think it is extremely close between Tiote and Lucas, frankly.

And I'd forgotten Heskey was never a top four player. I mean, it's not like he won plaudits from managers and teammates alike in a four-year spell at Liverpool is it...

Last edited:
Just because Lucas didn't go to the world cup doesn't mean he doesn't play for his country. Since Gilberto has retired and Menezes has taken over, a much-improved Lucas has been given his chance and as he was picked for Menezes' first ever game with Brazil it is to be assumed he is well liked by the new coach.

Nolan is a different player to Lucas, and Barton is a liability. I think it is extremely close between Tiote and Lucas, frankly.

And I'd forgotten Heskey was never a top four player. I mean, it's not like he won plaudits from managers and teammates alike in a four-year spell at Liverpool is it...

How exactly is Barton a liability? He has only done one thing wrong all season, and until then has been one of our best players. Nolan is a different type of player, but could if needed perform the role that Lucas plays for Liverpool, to a higher standard imo. Either way, I admit, Lucas has improved since last season, to be honest, that's not really hard, I still wouldn't want him at Newcastle. That's my choice and opinion. Also, on another note, the Brazil team is a shadow of it's former self, with too many old players living off past glory's and its no surprise that they have had to call on a player like Lucas when their best players are simply too old or too young to merit a place in the first team.

Anyway, that doesn't disguise the fact that Lucas wouldn't be able to get into any of the top four/five teams, I doubt he could get into the Everton team either.

The point that I was making is that Liverpool don't have enough top class players in their team any more, and the fans are disillusioned if they think they have the squad to merit a place in the top six, and including a place in European competition, whether it be Champions league or Europa.

Even in his peak, Heskeys goals/games ratio was hardly impressive, but I was just using him as an example of people that can play for the national side, and not be 'good', considering his 62 caps and 7 goals, which, by all means, is shocking.

Anyway, that doesn't disguise the fact that Lucas wouldn't be able to get into any of the top four/five teams, I doubt he could get into the Everton team either.

The point that I was making is that Liverpool don't have enough top class players in their team any more, and the fans are disillusioned if they think they have the squad to merit a place in the top six, and including a place in European competition, whether it be Champions league or Europa.

Didn't have you down as being so negative about us Dunc. I didn't say he was a top 6 player but he could do a good job for most premiership teams. I just said it was silly that you said you would never have Lucas at Newcastle.

We are good enough to get in the top 6. Along with Spurs, Arsenal, City, Chelsea and United. Just need players to gel better and get back to full fitness and into form and we will be fine. Plus having a negative manager at the moment doesn't help.

Roy Hodgson's record at Liverpool FC: the statistics so far

Dec 30 2010 By Sean Bradbury

The stats make grim reading for Liverpool FC manager Roy Hodgson, who last night tasted defeat for the ninth time in 29 games as Anfield boss - plunging the Reds to a 57-year low.

Wolves' win leaves Liverpool on just 22 points going into the New Year, their lowest tally at this stage of the season since 1953/54 when Don Welsh’s side was relegated.

Hodgson has still never beaten Wolves as a Premier League manager, while last night's visitors - bottom of the league before kick-off - had not won at Anfield since 1984.

The Reds have already lost to two of the promoted clubs this term - Newcastle away, Blackpool at home - and now find themselves just three points off the relegation zone and five points from the foot of the table.

The Blackpool defeat in October put Liverpool into the bottom three and - in the first statistical nod to the 1953/54 season - meant the Reds had got off to their worst league start for 57 years.

And Kopites will remember Liverpool's Carling Cup clash against League Two outfit Northampton back in September for all the wrong reasons, with Hodgson's side crashing out on penalties in what many considered to be the most embarrassing home performance since Worcester City in 1959.

While last night's loss also came at Anfield, Hodgson's away record with Liverpool so far is perhaps more of a cause for concern.

The Reds have been beaten six times and have managed only one win on the road in the league this season, scoring just six goals.

Hodgson has never won more than five away games in charge of a Premier League team in a single season; Rafael Benitez won only five away games in 2009/10 and it was not deemed good enough to keep him at LFC.

Benitez won 13 away games with the Reds in the 2008/09 campaign - the same amount Hodgson has won in his Premier League managerial career to date.

Roy Hodgson's Premier League away record in full:

1997/98 at Blackburn Rovers - 5 away wins - finished 6th
1998/99 at Blackburn Rovers - 0 away wins - sacked when 20th
2007/08 at Fulham - 3 away wins - finished 17th
2008/09 at Fulham - 3 away wins - finished 7th
2009/10 at Fulham - 1 away win - finished 12th
2010/11 at Liverpool - 1 away win so far - currently 12th

--
there's also a table listing the percentage wins of other managers: kenny top, followed by bob paisley and then rafa

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-27908002/

Just because Lucas didn't go to the world cup doesn't mean he doesn't play for his country. Carroll didn't go to the world cup, so he doesn't ever play for his country, right? Since Gilberto has retired and Menezes has taken over, a much-improved Lucas has been given his chance and as he was picked for Menezes' first ever game with Brazil it is to be assumed he is well liked by the new coach.

I agree with you. IMO Lucas is a bit better than people give him credit for. Plus don't forget that Liverpool have arguably been at their best this season without Gerrard, when the midfield was Meireles and Lucas.

There has been a lot of discussion on TalkSport tonight about Hodgson and our performance against Wolves, and Tony Evans has just been on.

Some of his comments, paraphrased as accurately as I can -

Wanted new manager, wanted the right one and Hodgson isnt that.

Clear he isnt right

Owners need to act.

Got some good players so things not too bad

Owners doing things sensibly

Taking their time, want to get a get CEO and do things slowly but if they take their time much longer the club will be in meltdown, they need to act now

Hodgson doesnt understand what the fans and club are about

He has disparaged squad, didnt defend Torres, not good enough for Liverpool manager

Needed to earn respect and didnt and cant expect it now

Squad not good enough for Liverpool but good enough to be there or thereabouts

This is a team that made the CL won it and then made the final, came 2nd in the Prem, capable of great things for all its weaknesses. 2 or 3 good buys in Summer would have taken it further and we got Konchesky and Poulson.

Owners wont give Hodgson any money, horrified by his buys in the Summer, only sensible thing to do is get rid of H and put Dalglish in place he will energise club and there will be a surge of belief. Will get players performing. People say he has been out of the game for too long well it looks as if H has been out of the game.

Think this season will be written off

Crowd are against H now, they are totally against him.

Crowd have always felt almost a spiritual connection with their Manager, right from Shankly but not now.

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Bensmith_times Ben Smith
#lfc confirm chief scout Eduardo Macia has left by mutual consent. Not unexpected following Comolli's arrival

More to come I'm guessing.

What does this mean for Roy, etc?

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

The Telegraph website also saying Hodgson is now "on the brink" & offering up 7 candidates to be his successor:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...l-manager.html

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Roy Hodgson in peril as anger of Liverpool fans alarms owners

• Supporters poll suggests 95% want Roy Hodgson sacked
• Liverpool's owners reluctant to bring in Kenny Dalglish

* Tim Rich
* Thursday 30 December 2010 21.59 GMT

Liverpool's American owners are running out of patience with Roy Hodgson amid fears that the manager's relationship with the club's supporters has broken down irretrievably.

Despite the fact that in one poll 95% of Liverpool fans wanted Hodgson to be sacked immediately after last night's 1-0 home defeat by Wolverhampton Wanderers, there appears to be no great appetite for regime change. John W Henry and Tom Werner of New England Sports Ventures are prepared to give Hodgson more time after six torturous months.

However, Henry has already labelled performances this season "unacceptable" and the next three games – against Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers in the league and Manchester United in the FA Cup – are likely to be critical to Hodgson's chances of surviving until the summer, when his position will be reviewed.

Henry and Werner, who run the Fenway Sports Group, through which NESV controls Liverpool, are understood to be concerned by the breakdown in relations between fans and the manager. A poll on the Liverpool website The Empire of the Kop drew more than 4,300 replies, with 95.5% of respondents answering yes to the question: "Do you want Roy Hodgson to be fired today?"

His win rate of 41% is almost exactly the same as that achieved by Graeme Souness during his time at Anfield and is the poorest by any Liverpool manager since Bill Shankly created the modern club. The defeat by Wolves, which Hodgson considered Liverpool's worst performance of a dismal season, was dominated by ironic chants of "Hodgson for England" and by calls for Kenny Dalglish to take over.

That latter scenario is unlikely to arise even if Hodgson is fired. Given his impassioned loyalty to Liverpool, Dalglish would be unlikely to refuse an offer to return to the job he quit in 1991. However, his candidacy to replace Rafael Benítez in the summer was rejected almost out of hand by the then managing director, Christian Purslow, and his successors are acutely aware that recalling a man who has been out of frontline football since a brief spell as Celtic's caretaker manager more than a decade ago would create more problems than it would solve.

Fenway has no desire to install an interim manager and if Dalglish were unable to pull Liverpool out of their tailspin it would tarnish his glittering reputation and that of the board. If Dalglish were a qualified success, he may block Fenway's plans to bring in a young, long-term manager.

The former Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard is the favourite, although Hodgson has pointed out that the Dutchman's last job at Galatasaray ended in failure. The Marseille coach, Didier Deschamps, who was interviewed for the post of Liverpool manager in the summer, has moved to distance himself from fresh speculation linking him with Anfield. He has let it be known he would not welcome an approach while Marseille are still in the Champions League and that his long-term aim is to manage the French champions when they move into a refurbished Stade Vélodrome in 2014.

While recognising his position is precarious, Hodgson, who was voted the League Managers Association's manager of the year last season, insisted he still retained the support of a dressing-room that often failed to give Benítez its wholehearted backing. "I am lucky in that the support I have had has been from the players and from within the club," Hodgson said. "I haven't had a lot of support from the fans since I have been here. The fans have not been happy with what they have seen in the whole of 2010 and since I have come here we haven't won enough games to keep them happy.

"That is the way of football. When you take on any job, especially a big job like this, and results do not go the way you want, especially at home, you are going to be a target for disapproval."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/30/roy-hodgson-liverpool-fans-owners

Status
Not open for further replies.