Liverpool players back me, claims Hodgson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any midfielder can run around, or score 3 goals every 1-2 seasons. They need to do a **** load more than that to justify their place in a team. (for the record, I don't think kuyt is a **** player, just a **** winger) Infact you clearly don't watch us much. If you watched maxi ever since he'd been here instead of the last 10 games then you would see he doesn't do anything, he's too scared to get on the ball and when he does he just passes it off and runs back into the shadows. Such a shame as he was a quality player before playing under rafa. But feel free to continue to rate him for popping up with the odd goal. So many pool fans are happy with mediocrity atm.

Been watching Liverpool FC for my whole life, go to 60/70% of games, any games I miss I watch on TV.

Certain players work goes unnoticed. Look at Sammy Lee for us back in the late 70's, early 80's, was a vital part of our team, did he score regularly or do anything particularly special? No, but he worked hard and that hard work is needed in every single team.

Even, Barca. They'd be nowhere near as succesful as they are if Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets never worked as hard as they do to win the ball back, even Messi and Pedro work hard and close down.

A team needs to be a combination of players that 'work'. The Holland side has plenty more skillful wingers than Kuyt yet Van Marwijk picks him? He adds something different to the side, but something a team needs. You can have as many Van Persie's and Robben's as you want but players like Kuyt these days are a rarity.

No he is not your typical winger, but he does a very good job there which clearly isn't appreciated by some fans. Add to his work ethic, his abilty to chip in with very important goals, his intelligance and his willingness to put his body on the line and you have yourself a very important player.

Apologies, Kenny/Ragnick (Thats the name I was after!) will join now, but I'd rather KD managed until the summer and then do what we can to get AVB in. I think most Liverpool fans would know Kenny would be a temporary measure tbh :S

AND

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/2011010231...co-have-identified-new-liverpool-manager.html

Henry & Co. have identified new Liverpool manager 02 January 2011 KOPTALK has been briefed that the club's new owners are committed to taking the club back to the top of European football.

An email sent to us via a former Liverpool player, states that the senior management team have identified the man they want to "take Liverpool into a new era".
The man they want is currently in employment and contractually tied for at least 2 more years. However, on June 1st, there is a period (or window of opportunity) where both employer and employee are free to reconsider their working relationship.
Well placed sources at Anfield say they are waiting for the go-ahead from John Henry and Tom Werner to pull the trigger on Hodgson. Club solicitors have already prepared a severance package but the owners are yet to make a decision.

More should become known over the coming week and we have been promised an update for our members on Thursday if not before

Who do we know that still has 2 years on their contract?

Even, Barca. They'd be nowhere near as succesful as they are if Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets never worked as hard as they do to win the ball back, even Messi and Pedro work hard and close down.
I'm glad you picked up on this so that I can emphasize my point. You are right, all of them work hard to get the ball back. BUT, look what they do with the ball once they get it, compared to kuyt and maxi. They're in a whole different league. Like I said, just working hard doesn't cut it, you need other assets. Messi, xavi, iniesta have these in abundance. Maxi and kuyt, do not.

Furthermore, work rate and closing down is a team effort. That's why barca are so good, because every single player doesn't stop running till they have that ball back. But only kuyt does that in our team (and also masch before he left). If only 1 person is pressing constantly while everyone else jogs around, the effect is nullified.

Add to his work ethic, his abilty to chip in with very important goals, his intelligance and his willingness to put his body on the line and you have yourself a very important player.
He could do all of these things up front with torres and be an important player there. As of now, as a winger, it's not what we need. We need an eden hazard, a marko marin type player, on both flanks. And until we have that type of player, or at the very least someone who can cross the ball, we might as well try something different.

He could do all of these things up front with torres and be an important player there.

No no no no no! Torres has shown that he is much better as a lone striker. Him with Gerrard behind is how we HAVE to play.

I'm glad you picked up on this so that I can emphasize my point. You are right, all of them work hard to get the ball back. BUT, look what they do with the ball once they get it, compared to kuyt and maxi. They're in a whole different league. Like I said, just working hard doesn't cut it, you need other assets. Messi, xavi, iniesta have these in abundance. Maxi and kuyt, do not.

This is why Barca are in a different league to any other side in the world though, they have players who do have so much in the locker. What Rafa tried to do was bring in a mix of players who could do one or the other which was similar to what he did at Valencia. He brought in Mascherano who was poor on the ball but was and still is one of the best in the world at retrieving it, he also added Alonso who wasn't the hardest worked but was fantastic with the ball, his passing was superb. Kuyt came in as a hard-working striker, who'd score goals, he never materialised as a striker, he simply doesn't score on a regular enough basis. His move to the wing was a brilliant move from Rafa especially when Glen was brought in as his defensive work and cover is fantastic. He brought Torres in who also isn't the hardest worked although he (on form) is the best finisher in the world. Gerrard is one of those rare gems who does both, one of the most complete midfielders ever. Dirk Kuyt is a very, very useful player.

Furthermore, work rate and closing down is a team effort. That's why barca are so good, because every single player doesn't stop running till they have that ball back. But only kuyt does that in our team (and also masch before he left). If only 1 person is pressing constantly while everyone else jogs around, the effect is nullified.

Hardly, it's better to have 1 hard worker than none. Woy plays stand-off tactics in comparison to Rafa who played a more pressing 4-2-3-1. Woy's 4-4-2 doesn't work because the players are so disciplined. Rafa's tactics worked so much better because we had Kuyt, Gerrard, Mascherano all chasing the ball, and they had the freedom to do that as we had more men in the midfield.

He could do all of these things up front with torres and be an important player there. As of now, as a winger, it's not what we need. We need an eden hazard, a marko marin type player, on both flanks. And until we have that type of player, or at the very least someone who can cross the ball, we might as well try something different.

Nah, wouldn't use him as a striker unless we needed him to, or for specific tactical reasons. I do agree that we need a proper winger (praying Elia joins) although to say Kuyt isn't an important part of our team is wrong, in my opinion.

No no no no no! Torres has shown that he is much better as a lone striker. Him with Gerrard behind is how we HAVE to play.
In which case he should settle for a place on the bench, as backup to torres. Either way, he should be used as a striker.

He brought in Mascherano who was poor on the ball but was and still is one of the best in the world at retrieving it
To me masch was very good on the ball. Always composed, and long or short, his passing was amazing. Something lucas needs to pick up on.

Dirk Kuyt is a very, very useful player.
If 1 player is going to have a hard working ethic, it really needs to be somone central. Kuyt doesn't have that much effect running up and down the flank closing down, since they can simply switch the play. Compare that to masch closing down, he broke up everything, whether he was holding the middle or drifting to the flanks. That's where it really makes the difference when only 1 player is doing it.

Still, I would love to see barca's philosophy back at anfield. Not the football they play, as we don't have the technical players, but the work rate in getting the ball back. Tbh none of the barca players are typically your work-horse type player, but the manager has this philosophy and they follow it. Think mourinho at inter. He didn't play with defensive players, but turned attacking players into an organized unit. You can turn lazy players into hard working players with the right manager. I'd like riikjard brought in, as he created the team and football we see at barca now.

Hardly, it's better to have 1 hard worker than none.
If it's a choice between 1 hard worker, or 1 marko marin player on the wing instead, I'd much, much rather have the latter.

Last edited:
In which case he should settle for a place on the bench, as backup to torres. Either way, he should be used as a striker.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one he is better as a defensive winger than a defensive forward.

To me masch was very good on the ball. Always composed, and long or short, his passing was amazing. Something lucas needs to pick up on.

oO) Lucas is much better on the ball than Mascherano was...

If 1 player is going to have a hard working ethic, it really needs to be somone central. Kuyt doesn't have that much effect running up and down the flank closing down, since they can simply switch the play. Compare that to masch closing down, he broke up everything, whether he was holding the middle or drifting to the flanks. That's where it really makes the difference when only 1 player is doing it.

He has a massive affect playing his role on the right, especially with Glen Johnson being the full-back behind or (probably more often) ahead of him. Is most affective when playing sides like United, Arsenal and Chelsea when Johnson comes up against the likes of Evra, Clichy and Cole. Kuyt makes the world of difference. Mascherano was an amazing ball winner, no doubt about it, he and Alonso were the 'perfect' partnership.

Still, I would love to see barca's philosophy back at anfield. Not the football they play, as we don't have the technical players, but the work rate in getting the ball back. Tbh none of the barca players are typically your work-horse type player, but the manager has this philosophy and they follow it. Think mourinho at inter. He didn't play with defensive players, but turned attacking players into an organized unit. You can turn lazy players into hard working players with the right manager. I'd like riikjard brought in, as he created the team and football we see at barca now.

As would I. We were very hard-working under Rafa, Torres used to close down much more (probably because he was happier and more determined). I've said it before but 8 of the players involved in the 1-0 to Wolves at Anfield were involved in the 4-0 demoltion of Real Madrid at Anfield, a sentiment to Rafa's tactics and the players work ethic under him. Would not like to see Rijkaard here, created a good Barca side but he has a **** of a lot of money, never did anything great before or after his stint there. He isn't a good enough disciplinarian for my liking either. I'd much rather see Andre Villas Boas or Jurgen Klopp here.

If it's a choice between 1 hard worker, or 1 marko marin player on the wing instead, I'd much, much rather have the latter.[/QUOTE]

Well that depends on multiple different aspects. On the right I would much rather have Kuyt ahead of Johnson than Marin.

oO) Lucas is much better on the ball than Mascherano was...
In his last season before leaving masch was hitting accurate 30 yard passes for fun.

He has a massive affect playing his role on the right, especially with Glen Johnson being the full-back behind or (probably more often) ahead of him. Is most affective when playing sides like United, Arsenal and Chelsea when Johnson comes up against the likes of Evra, Clichy and Cole. Kuyt makes the world of difference. Mascherano was an amazing ball winner, no doubt about it, he and Alonso were the 'perfect' partnership.
Agree to disagree then :p Though to think our midfield could've been gerrard, aquilaini (underrated imo, needed a run of games as he proved vs ath madrid he can boss the game and interlink play), alonso, masch :(

As would I. We were very hard-working under Rafa, Torres used to close down much more (probably because he was happier and more determined). I've said it before but 8 of the players involved in the 1-0 to Wolves at Anfield were involved in the 4-0 demoltion of Real Madrid at Anfield, a sentiment to Rafa's tactics and the players work ethic under him.
I was there that night, always great to see raul as nothing more than a ballboy. Though that 4-0 was as much to do with how bad real were as well as how good we played.

Would not like to see Rijkaard here, created a good Barca side but he has a **** of a lot of money, never did anything great before or after his stint there. He isn't a good enough disciplinarian for my liking either. I'd much rather see Andre Villas Boas or Jurgen Klopp here.
Hmm you've got a point on the budget he had. Wouldn't mind seeing this Andre guy have a go, he's been very highly rated recently.

Last edited:
3 goals lately in hodgeson's time doesn't make up for 2-3 seasons of hopelessness. It's the same reason babel is so ******* overrated. Does absolute **** all the time, scores 1 fluke wonder goal, and everyone is on his ****.

So maybe he's finally come good? Possibly? No, thought not. You're unwilling to give anyone a chance. If you were the manager of Fulham, Bobby Zamora would have been sold a long time ago because good form "doesn't make up for 2-3 seasons of hopelessness". Likewise if you were the manager of Villa, Heskey would be long gone, for the same reasons, even though he's on absolute fire at the minute.

The same was being said when we signed him like 3 or so years ago? He's missed his chance to prove he'll live up to his potential. He just hasn't improved AT ALL since we signed him. Though I agree we should put him up front, as like the others he can't cross.

You've been playing him as a winger far, far too much. Against Villa he was playing as a forward, a mobile and pacey forward who took our back line to pieces. It's harsh on him to not even give him a chance in his own position.

Yes he has work rate, but tbh I don't recognize that as a talent as I would run all over the pitch if I was paid his flipping money, as should every other professional player. "Decent shot, turns up with the odd goal" exactly the reason he should be put up front, like I said. I rated him as A STRIKER before he came here and got put on the wing to no effect. Running around like a chicken doesn't cut it if you want to be in a top 4 team (which is where we need to get back to), so he should go up top with torres.

You don't recognise desire and work rate as a talent? More fool you. It's what's stopped good players becoming greats, and what's made good players become legends. Think how amazing Berbatov would be if he put in some hard yards.

Kuyt is a decent enough striker, but as recognised by Rafa and Bert van Marwijk (a point conveniently ignored by you) he is of supreme ability when played on the wing. Defensively solid wingers are invaluable: see Kuyt, Ji-Sung Park. Goran Pandev under Mourinho. "Running around like a chicken" can completely nullify an opposing full back, something you should give a LOT more thought to. Kuyt is a superb player, recognised by his continuing presence in the Holland starting 11.
I'll make a different sentence for you. He'll be what, 30 next season? He's not 24 anymore. In fact in the last few years when was he on top form for chelsea? He's past it, he's already peaked, and he sure as **** is not worth £90k a week.

So he's ageing, yeah alright. But the fact remains is that he's very good backup at least, and if he can rediscover that spark, that x factor that makes Joe Cole such a devastatingly effective player when on form, then you will have one of the best players in the Prem. You can't write him off at the age of 29.

I couldn't care less where he prefers to play. Fact is from watching him, he has several qualities to make him a decent forward, and no qualities that would make him a good winger (except pace). He's not technically good enough to dribble with trickery, and he can't cross. We don't play with inside forwards. Further down you say yourself that wingers should be "quick and whippet-like", (i.e. marko marin) and not bulky like johnson, so you've just ruled jovanovic out too.

Jovanovic isn't a very good player, let me make that clear. But let me make it clearer still that he would be an even worse forward. He has no strength, no lateral movement: he stays up front and waits for service. He's lazy. He's a decent enough dribbler, contrary to what you said, and whilst his crossing leaves something to be desired if he is put in front of a fullback like Aurelio he could cut inside, negating that disadvantage.

Since when was Jovanovic bulky? He's tallish, yeah, but not bulky.
So he's bulky but not strong? Obviously not at cr9's calibre but he's got enough to get past people and put in a decent cross, or cut inside and shoot. He does this time and again for us. The only problem is he's leaving RB exposed, so he'd be our best shot as a winger.

He's strong, sure, but technically he just isn't good enough. He's not one of those physical freaks like Ronaldo or to an extent Bale, who have all-round skills that allow them to play a variety of positions. Johnson is a fullback until proven otherwise, and no wise person is going to play him on the wing.

Everything you said there is invalid for the fact that you rubbish that tactic as we don't have the players for it, whilst recommending a wide tactic when wait for it - we have no wide men! We have no wingers, so there's no point, at all, in playing with them. It didn't work last season and it sure as **** isn't working this season. I can't remember I last saw someone dribble down the wing, put in a cross for torres to head in.

You DO have wide men, you ***. Rafa managed it to great success. You're thinking of a formation with two out-and-out wingers, a simple formation. If you played with two narrow wingers who look to come inside, backed up by Johnson and Aurelio (or another attack minded left back) providing the natural width down the outside, it'd be a very very good formation to use. The reason you can't remember the last time Torres headed in from a winger is because he's been injured so much, and your tactics have been awful long ball punts. You're not PLAYING with wingers as such at the minute, and it isn't working.

So you'd rather he didn't? You'd rather NOBODY press at all? :S

Eh? Whilst a worse player, Lucas is far less one-dimensional than Masch.

Where the **** do you get your ideas from? I have no idea why you devalue defensive wingers so much: with fullbacks now the most important players on the pitch tactics-wise, defensive wingers are worth their weight in gold. We can compare Walcott against Chelsea recently, who closed down Cole and prevented him from getting forward, with Arshavin in their fixture before that, where he left Cole unmarked and he provided a cross for a goal.

Defensive wingers are absolutely vital. There's a reason why SAF preferred Valencia over Nani for much of last season. Take a look at Marc Albrighton. Not only is he a great crosser and a superb winger, but he works so hard that the right flank is protected a lot more. Being defensively sound adds so much to the team.

I've already gone over this in the last few posts, but anyway:

So maybe he's finally come good? Possibly? No, thought not.
I thought not too. As I said, he was a great player before coming here, then something just went wrong. Maybe like most foreigners he can't handle the prem and thats why he seems afraid to get on the ball.

You've been playing him as a winger far, far too much
I'll agree with that, but benitez DID play him upfront at times, and he lacked any kind of composure or first touch and just continually dribbled it either out of play, or into defenders. He will never realise this overrated ridiculous potential people seem to give him. Though i'm all for that, since we'll get a nice cheque when we inevitably sell him.

You don't recognise desire and work rate as a talent? More fool you.
Not really, no. Because as I said a few posts back, ANY player can be turned into a work-horse by a good manager. Like for example, the whole barca team, or the whole inter team under mourinho. Yet those players all have alot of things in their locker, whereas kuyt only has that (apart from the odd goal) and parades it like it deserves a first team place.

Kuyt is a decent enough striker, but as recognised by Rafa and Bert van Marwijk (a point conveniently ignored by you) he is of supreme ability when played on the wing. Defensively solid wingers are invaluable:
The problem is when you're a team like l'pool, you should atleast be aiming for a top 7 finish with these mostly mediocre players. That means winning the majority of your games. Not playing with defensive wingers against wolves. If you look, utd mostly only play Park against big teams. We should only be playing defensive wingers in away games we don't expect to win. But according to rafa/hodgeson, that's every single game then, home or away. I'd much rather them get some sense, buy some attacking wingers and take the game to the other team.

So he's ageing, yeah alright. But the fact remains is that he's very good backup at least, and if he can rediscover that spark, that x factor that makes Joe Cole such a devastatingly effective player when on form, then you will have one of the best players in the Prem. You can't write him off at the age of 29.
Yeah I wouldn't mind him as backup, he'd be quite strong as that. But yet he's on £90k a week...

Jovanovic isn't a very good player, let me make that clear. But let me make it clearer still that he would be an even worse forward. He has no strength, no lateral movement: he stays up front and waits for service. He's lazy. He's a decent enough dribbler, contrary to what you said, and whilst his crossing leaves something to be desired if he is put in front of a fullback like Aurelio he could cut inside, negating that disadvantage.
Every time he cuts inside and shoots, if he does even shoot, he doesn't score. Might as well sell him tbh.

He's strong, sure, but technically he just isn't good enough. He's not one of those physical freaks like Ronaldo or to an extent Bale, who have all-round skills that allow them to play a variety of positions. Johnson is a fullback until proven otherwise, and no wise person is going to play him on the wing.
You're right he's not very good technically, but he does get past people and put in a cross time and time again. That's good enough for me.

You DO have wide men, you ***. Rafa managed it to great success. You're thinking of a formation with two out-and-out wingers, a simple formation. If you played with two narrow wingers who look to come inside, backed up by Johnson and Aurelio (or another attack minded left back)
So in essence, inside forwards. But how many times does kuyt/maxi/jovanovic cut inside and score? More often than not they cut inside, run into traffic and lose the ball, or pass backwards. They're no ribery/robben.

So you'd rather he didn't? You'd rather NOBODY press at all? :S
I'm saying that i'd rather have a technical winger in his place than 1 person pressing.

Eh? Whilst a worse player, Lucas is far less one-dimensional than Masch.
I'll say it again, masch was/is a much more forward thinking player than lucas, moreso in the season before leaving. I shouldn't really have to explain it. Plenty of times watching l'pool every week, he would go on a surging run (sometimes losing the ball or hitting a **** shot, but atleast trying to make something happen) or hit an accurate 30 yard ball to switch the play. Lucas can't pass more than 10 yards, and mostly passes backwards. Though I admit he is improving his passing game lately which is good to see.

Defensive wingers are absolutely vital. There's a reason why SAF preferred Valencia over Nani for much of last season.
Yet in that season they lost the title. In this season, they're top with games in hand by playing nani instead. And as much as I hate that diving *****, he is giving them the flair and attacking play that is much more valuable against lesser teams than a defensive winger.

In essence, defensive wingers are a key part of why hodgeson's negative tactics aren't getting us anywhere.

Last edited:
I would just like to point out, its Hodgson Danyul, not hodgeson :)

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/2011010231...co-have-identified-new-liverpool-manager.html

henry & co. Have identified new liverpool manager 02 january 2011 koptalk has been briefed that the club's new owners are committed to taking the club back to the top of european football.

An email sent to us via a former liverpool player, states that the senior management team have identified the man they want to "take liverpool into a new era".
The man they want is currently in employment and contractually tied for at least 2 more years. However, on june 1st, there is a period (or window of opportunity) where both employer and employee are free to reconsider their working relationship.
Well placed sources at anfield say they are waiting for the go-ahead from john henry and tom werner to pull the trigger on hodgson. Club solicitors have already prepared a severance package but the owners are yet to make a decision.

More should become known over the coming week and we have been promised an update for our members on thursday if not before

;) ;)

A club like Liverpool shouldn't have to rely on non-specialists like Dirk Kuyt or Ryan Babel ‘doing a job’ up front when they are primarily wide players.
Hodgson changes his mind a month later.

They'll be a formidable challenge – there's no question about that.
On Carling Cup opponents, struggling league Two side Northampton

I thought we did quite well when (Northampton) they took the lead in the extra time and we threw caution to the wind it gave us the equaliser.
Hodgson uses the words ‘throw caution to the wind’ about playing a League Two side. At Anfield.

That was as good as we have played all season..... To get a result here – against Everton – would have been Utopia.
After the wretched loss to Everton

I know Sir Alex (Ferguson) is not really a Liverpool man so I’m a bit concerned about my excellent relationship with him.
I sincerely hope he forgives me for moving north and hopefully we can have a glass of wine together, maybe in secret.
Hodgson endears himself to Liverpool fans everywhere

I prefer to talk about the game and talk about issues that interest me. Mr Ferguson is entitled to any opinion he wants to have but I'm not going to come here and say I agree or disagree.
Hodgson refuses to defend Fernando Torres against accusations of cheating

I understand (Frank) Rijkaard has just been sacked from Galatasaray – he must be a great manager to have been sacked by Galatasaray.
'Nice guy' Roy on the Champions League and La Liga winning manager

You would have to ask (Glen Johnson) 'do you think you're playing at top form and are you playing like the best right-back in the country for your club?' If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ and if he says no, then you'd have to ask the question 'why not?
Showing his man-management skills

The protest does not help but it is something I have had to live with since I came to the club.
Criticising the fans’ protest against the club’s former owners

I was disappointed – and I've told him this – that he – Dalglish – applied for the job in the summer because I don't think that was ever really going to happen for him.
Putting Liverpool legend Dalglish in his place, a man who has won more trophies than Hodgson has Premier League away games in his entire time in England

I've been involved in some big derbies in my career and you know how much they mean to the fans.... I didn't like losing in those games, which I did quite often. I did poorly so it would be nice to change that.
Hodgson shows he’s the man for the big occasion before losing 3-2 to Manchester United.

He’s a quality player and we will be working hard on our tactics to make sure he doesn’t dominate the game.
No, not Lionel Messi, rather Fulham’s Danny Murphy, who was sent packing by Liverpool six years ago.

I think it would be a sad day for football and for Liverpool if someone who had been brought in with the pomp and circumstance, and the money it took them to release me from my previous contract, and being feted as one of England's best managers – if after eight games people are deciding this guy has got to go
Showing his modest side.

Are you from Denmark? (No, Norway replied the journalist) Ah, two countries I never want to work in again.
Insulting a Norweigian journalist and a large part of Liverpool’s fan base.

We have got a lot more expensive failures on our list than good players that we have brought in for next to nothing.
Having a dig at Champions League winning former Reds boss Rafa Benitez and his transfer record

What do you mean do my methods translate? They have translated from Halmstad to Malmo to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax to the Swiss national team. So I find the question insulting. To suggest that, because I have moved from one club to another, that the methods which have stood me in good stead for 35 years and made me one of the most respected coaches in Europe don’t suddenly work, is very hard to believe.
Reeling off some of the massive clubs he’s managed. Not so much a who’s who of European football as a who are they?

Today was a famous victory
No, not Liverpool’s win in Istanbul but a 1-0 triumph over Bolton at the Reebok.

Status
Not open for further replies.